Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Roogsy;752209]I agree with Scott 110%!

Supporting means being there regardless if our team sucks. Our team can suck for 20 years, we have to decide whether we are gloryhunters or not. There are teams in Europe and South America that never get a whiff of glory and their supporters are there day in day out.

However...if our team winds up being a gloryless, sorry excuse for a team, then as supporters our job is to pressure the front office. By choosing not to be there, you lose your vote and your voice.[/quote]

This is my sentiment. I am not happy. Somedays I wonder why I regret starting to support this club, that gives me very little reason to support it other then that it is the only football team in the city. However, despite everything I am going renew and continue supporting, or I will lose my voice in trying to get this club to be what I would like it to be. I am very frustrated with it, we seem to go two steps forward, three steps back at times, and while this club is better this year, it is underachiving in every way. I cannot give up completely on it. However, do not tell me not to bitch and complain about it. It is my right too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^This is what I was trying to say which Vooddoo (whatever) didn't seem to understand.

1- I won't leave this team.
    2- I am pissed to high hell about their state of affairs like many people.

Based on point 2, some people won't show up etc and that is their right.

Based on point 1, I will go to the game and future games because I like watching my team, drinking beer, making fun of people in my section (tourists and regulars) and just overall being a part of TFC and RPB.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this weeks game is going to be great
    not only should we win
    final tailgate and the tailgate team has been rockin all summer
    cant wait to see what they have up there sleeves
    and DANNY DICHIO tribute day -- how could you even think about missing that
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At the end of the day, it's not about the banners, or the tailgates, or being totally accepting of what's going on the field.

It's about being there for your team. Through the ups and downs.

I am disappointed. Sure am. But am I going to walk out? No. I mean why would I after spent my money for the ticket. If I wanted to voice my displeasure I just wouldn't buy the ticket. I mean I would consider walking out if it was BAD. This is not real bad yet.

It's tough because you can see this team could be so much better but it's not like we're NYRB. And even then, you see the guys who support NYRB and all the shit they've been through. And even though some of their supporters are tools, they haven't walked out on their team.

Look at the 2.Bundesliga teams that average 20000+ attendance. I guess they like to take it without lube because they're not winning trophies or CL championships.

I've been around teams that have been absolutely shit, I mean hilarity inducing, record breaking, comically bad but stuck through to see them being one of the greatest teams ever. It was worth it. But there were a lot of bumps on the road and disappointments and steps back almost to the point of being shit bad again on the way there. It's part of being a team.

I mean it's the MLS. Anything can happen. Imagine being a midtable European club with no hope in hell of ever winning a championship, yet not shitty enough to be relegated but always stuck in purgatory.

Again, I'd consider walking out if it's really bad... but it would have to be really, really, really bad. Like TFC getting relegated to USL bad. But even then, it just wouldn't seem right.

Now as for the raising of ticket prices issue... that's a totally seperate issue that has nothing to do with supporting. I mean if I were ever to walk out it would more than likely be as a result of the ticket price as opposed to performance.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A "protest" about on field performance seems fruitless.

If you look at it objectively, the message is "hit 'em in the pocketbook so they'll care about building a winner." This is about trying to "send a message to the FO, specifically about winning"

Our FO, despite all of its mistakes and PR stumbles, has a MLS payroll in the top 4 of the league.

They've invested in grass and a designated player. Perhaps too slow for the liking of some but the business plan didn't call for either of these. Grass wasn't a consideration and certainly replacing the field turf was a 7 year project.

This coming from a franchise not yet done it's 3rd season and was expected to draw just 14,000 fans on average when business plans were being made. They've seen the potential and have invested.

If you want to go down a "raising ticket prices" protest, that's a different story.

Now, I'm not a MLSE apologist but what more could the FO do to demonstrate that they too want to invest in the team?

You honestly think that they are spending all this cash with the idea that missing the playoffs is ok with them????
    Last edited by Pookie; 10-13-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The FO issue on who is accountable if the team doesn't make the playoffs is another issue. i.e. If the team does not make the playoffs, Mo gets fired.

Personally, I think someone's job is on the line if the team doesn't make the playoffs. To me it's Mo and Chris Cummins together.

But that's something totally separate of a walkout.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    explain......
    A troll will never explain themselves.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    The FO issue on who is accountable if the team doesn't make the playoffs is another issue.
    Agreed.

And fortunately, all that is needed there to make a point is a simple spreadsheet showing the revenue lost along with the increased operating budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 905shmick View Post
    A troll will never explain themselves.
    yep, i guess not....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in favor of using your ticket and going to the stadium and expressing your displeasure. (flags, banners, chants etc)

As Whoopee said, if it got REALLY bad I would participate in a mass walkout, but its not really THAT bad at the moment.

No disrespect for NEE and their walkout earlier this year,(in fact I talked myself down from the 'ledge') I just feel you have to build to that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm sure the team/club is embarressed by thier performance right now.

When the fans/supporters are more credible than the team on the field, that's embarrassing. When those same fans boo them off the field in the second last home game of the year that's embarrassing. When the media says that the team hasn't given the fans what they deserve, that's embarrassing. I personally would not want to be in the teams shoes right now.

And as a supporter, I'm not.

As a supporter I do what I have to do game in and game out. I will continue to do that year in and year out. If the team wants to embarrass itself by playing like they have, then so be it.

If they continue on this path, eventually they will fuck themselves over. No player will want to come here, no coach will want to coach here, The casuals will stop coming. People like voodoo will stop coming. And the last people to leave will be the supporters. Either forced out by high ticket prices or fed up with the lack of trying.

but i don't see all of this happenning for at least 10 years.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In reality the FO doesn't really care if you walk out.

But now if you walked out and stayed out... now you're on to something.

But it's a fine line to walk.

I mean do you walk out everytime the team plays like shit?
    Last edited by Whoop; 10-13-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ agreed.

The FO doesn't care when people show up late or can't get to their seats to start the 2nd half or leave early... why would they care about a walk out? If there was a walk out, would they even recognize it?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The key is the FO smart enough to "read" the crowd so to speak before it could potentially end up like the Blue Jays situation?

That remains to be seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ The potential Blue Jays situation is what concerns me. I love the jays but at some point it gets painfull to see your team doing nothing, or very littel to compete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where does this mentality come from that supporting the team is an investment and if we show up to the games we somehow deserve to see a winning team? If you honestly believe, after 3 seasons that we deserve to win the league because our supporters groups jump around and sing loudly, then football is not for you.
    This league tries it's darndest to promote parity, and if the league is successful in doing so, each team should win league every 15 years or so.

The big question I have for you all is this - WOULD you support a team with little to no chance of ever winning the leaguel? A Portsmouth, a Newcastle, a Preston North End, a QPR, a Burnley, etc. A team that you know will never be the best. If you answered yes, you're a supporter. If you answered no and started a thread about not going to support your team during a crucial period of the season, football supportership is not for you.

Please don't bother to reply - I won't be checking this thread again. I've said my piece.
    Last edited by Toronto Gunner; 10-13-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: probably shouldn't drag Manu and Chelsea into this...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm a big proponent of stability. MLS rosters don't really allow for that but most of the successful teams have a good core.

I think we have a good core now.

Problem is we will likely have 4 different people as a head coach over 4 years. Getting rid of Mo would just add more instability but at the same time I don't trust him. So you're kind of stuck in this no man's land which is pretty shitty.

But again... that's a separate issue than a walkout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Never be the best. Sure but you shuold try to be the best you can be with the resources available to you. So Newcaste's goal now is to make it back to the EPL, Pompey's is stay in the EPL, PNE to win more and move up, ect. ect, any team worth its salt sets goals for itself. And any supporters group will celebrate when those goals are met, and be upset when they are not met due to fuck ups by the players/managers ect.

In are case, most of us just hope to see good footy. If you are not supporting your team in the hope of vicotry what are supporting?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No question. Always strive to be the best.

While I'm sure like everyone else, I would love to win the MLS Cup, the playoffs were the goal this year. Technically we're still in it. But when we're not, I will reserve my judgment until then. I'm glad Seattle should make the playoffs because it puts more pressure on TFC to do more, to do better.

Next year the goal should be being a Supporters Shield contender and MLS Cup contender.

I just don't know if can trust Mo with that one.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ The potential Blue Jays situation is what concerns me. I love the jays but at some point it gets painfull to see your team doing nothing, or very littel to compete.
    The thing with the Jays situation is that losing is happening within a league that offers little hope for future seasons.

The ALCS is #1 vs #6 (in terms of payroll). The NLCS is #7 vs #9. Even #9 outspends the Jays by over $20M.

That's a factor that doesn't exist in the MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll gladly take the tickets of anyone not wanting to go to the game and I will cheer from start to end because that is what a supporter does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why the hell would we not go...we are going to produce the largest banner in TFC history and it would be a waste to put our work to waste cuz we can't execute in the last 15 minutes

we are going to support dichio and our team and your completely nuts and off your bonkers if you think we shouldn't go

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=trane;752539]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I agree with Scott 110%!

Supporting means being there regardless if our team sucks. Our team can suck for 20 years, we have to decide whether we are gloryhunters or not. There are teams in Europe and South America that never get a whiff of glory and their supporters are there day in day out.

However...if our team winds up being a gloryless, sorry excuse for a team, then as supporters our job is to pressure the front office. By choosing not to be there, you lose your vote and your voice.[/quote]

This is my sentiment. I am not happy. Somedays I wonder why I regret starting to support this club, that gives me very little reason to support it other then that it is the only football team in the city. However, despite everything I am going renew and continue supporting, or I will lose my voice in trying to get this club to be what I would like it to be. I am very frustrated with it, we seem to go two steps forward, three steps back at times, and while this club is better this year, it is underachiving in every way. I cannot give up completely on it. However, do not tell me not to bitch and complain about it. It is my right too.
    The right to bitch and complain about how things are going is your sacred right as a sports fan, let alone a TFC fan.

But I don't equate that, with essentially not showing up to cheer on the team during a game with potential playoff implications.

Plus, as you said, when you basically walk away, all you do is lose your voice in the call for improvement.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is not going to the game team going to help them get a much needed result? I'm not happy with how the second half of the season has gone, but the time to send a message to the players has come and gone. That was managements job and they dropped the ball. When Carver left, it was their responsibility to find the best qualified coach to lead this team, but instead they settled on a manager with next to no experience. Cummins seems like a genuinely good guy, but he proved that he could not get the best out of this team game after game. After all the work to bring in quality players like De-Ro and De-Guzman why would you settle on an inexperienced manager to lead them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'm sure the team/club is embarressed by thier performance right now.

When the fans/supporters are more credible than the team on the field, that's embarrassing. When those same fans boo them off the field in the second last home game of the year that's embarrassing. When the media says that the team hasn't given the fans what they deserve, that's embarrassing. I personally would not want to be in the teams shoes right now.

And as a supporter, I'm not.

As a supporter I do what I have to do game in and game out. I will continue to do that year in and year out. If the team wants to embarrass itself by playing like they have, then so be it.

If they continue on this path, eventually they will fuck themselves over. No player will want to come here, no coach will want to coach here, The casuals will stop coming. People like voodoo will stop coming. And the last people to leave will be the supporters. Either forced out by high ticket prices or fed up with the lack of trying.

but i don't see all of this happenning for at least 10 years.
    For the record (as I stated in the thread from last year)...I'm not interested in any kind of boycott in terms of actually showing up to the games.

I am more interested in doing something to let the players and staff know that we are not happy. Whether that be abstaining from chanting for a certain amount of time or something else.

Some of you guys get so caught up in making sure that you're the best supporters in the world, you lose sight of the fact that we're there to watch soccer. We've paid to watch professionals perform. When they don't, we should let them know that it's unacceptabe.

Cheering louder and harder when they're terrible doesn't make sense to me. That's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gunner View Post
    Where does this mentality come from that supporting the team is an investment and if we show up to the games we somehow deserve to see a winning team? If you honestly believe, after 3 seasons that we deserve to win the league because our supporters groups jump around and sing loudly, then football is not for you.
    This league tries it's darndest to promote parity, and if the league is successful in doing so, each team should win league every 15 years or so.

The big question I have for you all is this - WOULD you support a team with little to no chance of ever winning the leaguel? A Portsmouth, a Newcastle, a Preston North End, a QPR, a Burnley, etc. A team that you know will never be the best. If you answered yes, you're a supporter. If you answered no and started a thread about not going to support your team during a crucial period of the season, football supportership is not for you.

Please don't bother to reply - I won't be checking this thread again. I've said my piece.
    You're missing the point. It's one thing to say I still love TFC even if they never win anytyhing. It's another thing to say I'm happy with the way they're playing, despite the results.

Sometimes teams don't win. Shit happens. Doesn't mean I'm gonna be happy about it.

Hahah...just saw the bit about not responding. Oh well...already typed it.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is a good reason why I don't really post much on the board anymore.

p.s.
    Toronto till I die!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Niagara View Post
    +11111111111

I am getting so sick of these stupid threads. Seriously, just support the fucking club! This board produces the most childish antics I have ever seen. I will be at the game because I am finally off on a match day and I am a TFC supporter through. Sure, I hate the poor results. But I don't come on here and call for everyone's head to rolll or try to stage yet another protest ().
    Well said! Stop your complaining and support the team! Not showing up for the last regular season home game is as bad as the people who leave before the final whistle is blown!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Empty house from season ticket holders or supporters groups would make it abundantly clear how we feel.

I have nothing good to say about how this season ends. So perhaps by avoiding the joint altogether, I and like-minded supporters can make the strongest possible statement.
    Send a message?...Is the message that you are a retard?! In that case the message has been recieved loud and clear! 10/4 good buddy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    This thread is a good reason why I don't really post much on the board anymore.

p.s.
    Toronto till I die!
    I know the feeling. The whole concept of supporting a team is completely lost on far too many people as of late.