Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barbarez

Default Is Football A Big Joke In Toronto?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sucks Dont understand why one tv could be switched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to go out for dinner to a Longest Yard for the last DCU away game and they switched one of the TVs to the TFC game during a Stanley Cup game! Too bad the food sucked! Boston Pizza is shite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's bang on about fieldturf and the cheapo stadium hurting the acceptance of MLS.

But he's not acknowledging the progress. Remember the first few weeks last year, when there was maybe one story a week in the major dailies? Also, I think most bars now would have put the TFC game on a set, which wouldn't have been true a year ago.

Maybe those "No Argos at BMO" shirts should have "No Boston Pizza" on the sleeve?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had yesterday off and watched the Euros in a pub round the corner that wouldn't think of playing the TFC matches unless I ask. Even then they will keep the sound down. We've got a ways to go till TFC and MLS are ingrained week to week. Notice the coverage on TV. As soon as the team go on the road the stations covering seem to fluctuate what time the game will play. Right now football is a live attraction that the general public won't commit to till they feel it's "big enough".

I have a feeling you guys show up for a couple more games like you did and made it your hangout for games Boston Pizza would take your money. It's kind of funny though because people thought this way about basketball around here when we were kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things take time...

Once upon a time you had a tough time getting a Raptors game on a TV in a pub in Toronto - and an even harder time in the burbs... And to this day, they'd still come in last after Leafs, Jays, and major international competitions (if they ever collided)...

Rome wasn't built in a day... We're the new kids on the block - its frustrating being that guy, but its reality...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Barbarez

Guys, we're talking about switching the channel on one t.v from an NBA game to support your citys football club....we're not asking to change the channel from a leaf/raptors/jays game to a TFC game...pretty pathetic if you ask me...
    Last edited by Barbarez; 06-10-2008 at 07:07 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just the reality of a growing team, the roots are still trying to take hold, we have a good amount of supporters for TFC, but the truth is that overall the Reds have a long way to go.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to be agreeing with Barbarez but here goes.

Local bars should always give priority to local teams.

I wound not step foot in that Boston Pizza again if they did that to me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main message of this article is being missed. The Supporters are constantly pandering to the wishes of the FO and MLS. Getting any group to stand up for any cause is an endless task... Unless of course it's self serving and altruistic. Is this being political, I don't think so. It's being a supporter and a beacon lighting the way to a strong and loyal experience. This is what is slipping through our fingers...

Barbarez

Quote Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post
    The main message of this article is being missed. The Supporters are constantly pandering to the wishes of the FO and MLS. Getting any group to stand up for any cause is an endless task... Unless of course it's self serving and altruistic. Is this being political, I don't think so. It's being a supporter and a beacon lighting the way to a strong and loyal experience. This is what is slipping through our fingers...
    Right on.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For once an article, and opinions I can agree with fully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a point before we relegate Boston Pizza to the trash bin. Ask the waiter, then the bartender, then the assistant to the manager and so on. It's kinda like the old try try again thing really

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow this was a great read. although it kinda does make sense in seeing the Finals, in a Boston pizza place...its like watching the World Cup, same thing but yeah in Many places, MLS is a joke, you think you have it bad in Canada ? come to the US where you are RAPED by boring baseball, hand-ball, nascar, poker, spelling bee, 24/7. one network who really avoids Futebol is ESPN. that includes pti, jim rome and the rest. they wont even show 2 minute highlights for the mls on their show, but would much rather show rumors about bret farve, spring training baseball, and more F'ing baseball. they also show basketball and hockey too, but i kinda like them . futebol in america is 50x worse than it is in canada, you actually get tv ads on your tv, magazines,etc. we get nothing !!! i wanna see this league grow, but all we supporters can do is Wait, and make an amazing atmosphere. someday, ill see it be as big as the nfl w/ packed stadiums every night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone else not surprised that more people are watching the NBA finals than TFC? If it were me, I'd rather watch TFC but MLS is no where close to as popular in Toronto as basketball is. You go in there with even 10 people who want to watch the game and they'll change the channel on one of the tv's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the perception with many folks about the mls is that its a league for US college players that couldnt make it in europe...

their thinkg - why put a low quality product on tv in a bar, when you want to keep the folks in there watching a 'professional player' that makes real money - real entertaintment...

until the cap is increased to attract better players, i dont think the attitude about the mls will change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I hate to be agreeing with Barbarez but here goes.

Local bars should always give priority to local teams.
    That sure would be nice, but they are in it to make money, not to support any team given team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless of course it's self serving and altruistic.

This is an Oxymoron.

(hi pat, didnt realise you'd changed your name, but that slip gave you away )

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I remember the Galaxy away game back in april, we went to a bp to watch the game, and the masters/stanley cup playoffs were on at the same time, we asked 2 servers and then the manager to change the channel to the TFC game, we had to wait a bit but we got it
    c'mon you Reds!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that most bars will show NBA finals because they have money riding on it.

I don't agree with it being a supporter of TFC. I think the city should take pride in their teams. I think the author and Kingpin make a good point.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When do the supporters "constantly pander to the wishes of the FO and MLS". I know you bitch about this all the time but lets see it dude. When, where, how. The ticket prices went up, that's all I can think of. Everything else is just a standard childish being pissed off by "the man" just because their brains haven't left high school yet. The only sad supporters brought up in that article are the ones who stayed and paid for their meal at a restaurant that wouldn't change a TV. Then he has the balls to tell other fans that THEY are the ones accepting BS from other people(FO, MLS). We should start a "Ultras daily bitch" sticky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was at my Local bar last year to watch a game I ask them to turn on the game they said yes just wait a min got my beer wait for them to turn it on they did not put it on before my beer was done so i left the bar with out paying for my beers & went down the street to the next bar and got them to put it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see why they would choose game 2 of the most hyped NBA finals in years over a TFC vs Dynamo game. Obviously one will bring in more people and have more patrons interested. I also believe they could have changed one TV.

I think we can all agree that a Lakers/Celtics games has a more wider appeal, even in Toronto, then a TFC game. Sad, but true

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some very good points.

As much as I'd like to see TFC on TV at local spots,
    it's not at the point where it will be shown over the playoffs
    in any of the 'established sports' like Hockey, Baseball or Basketball.
    It's really shitty they wouldn't change ONE tv for you guys,
    but I do understand that they just play into the hierarchy of North American sports.

and then there's always that one prick who shows up right when the bar opens
    to watch F1 racing, then gets all pissy when 100+ of us roll into Joe's and want
    to watch the TFC game. I guess he thinks that his $30 tab has paid for the rental of one tv.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    I also believe they could have changed one TV.
    Was there a TV that wasn't being watched by tables full of NBA fans? It's one thing to change a TV that isn't being watched, it's another to change one that tables full of people are currently watching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Was there a TV that wasn't being watched by tables full of NBA fans? It's one thing to change a TV that isn't being watched, it's another to change one that tables full of people are currently watching.
    for sure, i agree......I mean, if they have a wall with 2 or 3 tv's together, all playing the finals, changing one wouldn't hurt, but changing one that people are actively watching....not cool.

Imagine if we were all at Joes watching TFC, and they changed the channel to basketball, even on one tv......I can bet some people would be freaking out, even though it was only one of many tvs

Barbarez

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    When do the supporters "constantly pander to the wishes of the FO and MLS". I know you bitch about this all the time but lets see it dude. When, where, how. The ticket prices went up, that's all I can think of. Everything else is just a standard childish being pissed off by "the man" just because their brains haven't left high school yet. The only sad supporters brought up in that article are the ones who stayed and paid for their meal at a restaurant that wouldn't change a TV. Then he has the balls to tell other fans that THEY are the ones accepting BS from other people(FO, MLS). We should start a "Ultras daily bitch" sticky.
    Aside from stuffing your face with buffalo wings at joes and being a lil bitch thats scared to show your face in public, what have you personally done to show your support for TFC?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ let's not make it personal or this thread gets closed. I'm on my best behavior today and advise everyone else to be as well.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

olegunnar

I know it's barely been a year and a half but it is disappointing that the game is still secondary to the show in the stands.

I think it's very telling how bad the tv ratings are. If people gave a crap about the game they'd watch. Instead it seems like people only want to go see the show live.
    I think it would be interesting if there was ever a survey done of fans at BMO. List the reasons why you came in order of preference. It's sad but I bet the game wouldn't be higher than 3rd or 4th on the majority of surveys.

So ignoring the micro details (BP, NBA, paying your tab if they won't change the channel etc.) and just addressing the macro point. Yes, I agree that football is still a joke in Toronto.