Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i recored it on the PVR... SWEET!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    If Colorado three weeks ago wasn't the death knell for this season... and LA last week wasn't the death knell of this season, then last night certainly was.

It is monumentally frustrating to see this team revert to the same antics that punish them - and us - time and again.

Have a lead? start hoofing the ball away in the 65th minute. Nevermind that you'll be chasing it for the last 30 and concede due to unnecessary fatigue.

Subbing off your lone striker? Bring on a defensive mid. 1+1=17.3, apparently.

Have you been playing well by using a quick short-pass & move game? Sod it, let's go back to route 1 thereby ensuring any build up in play and momentum we might create is instantly wiped out.

Failed to win again? No sweat! Just keep a straight face while you tell the media that a) you are extremely disappointed, b) you still control your own destiny this season and c) the post-season will happen, despite not being able to win a game in a month of Fridays.

I'd be furious this morning if this team wasn't such a farce at times.
    Perfectly stated, koryo.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bars92 View Post
    JDG is a great wee player. He's strong on the ball, lets give him a few more game eh?
    He's a busy little player, but he's not going to win or save games.
    Top strikers or defenders do that.
    He's neither and is a COMPLETE waste of massive money and a DP position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't wait till the day that Nick Garcia is sent packing...he has been a weak link on the back line since...well since we signed him. We have basically little to no chance of making the playoffs...make your displeasure with him heard. Boo him everytime he touches the ball the last couple games at BMO. He doesn't deserve the steam off my shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    no top striker wins games in MLS by himself (see Juan Pablo Angel, or Landon Donovan before Bruce Arena)
    It's about "team play" and having decent players all over the pitch.

If we signed a DP striker it wouldn't make a difference over De Guzman until the team play came together.

This is the fallacy of signing a DP that teams make year after year. They think a DP will solve the problems in the rest of the squad.

We don't need a DP defender either. We need a decent defender to isn't flashy but who gets the job done.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    no top striker wins games in MLS by himself (see Juan Pablo Angel, or Landon Donovan before Bruce Arena)
    It's about "team play" and having decent players all over the pitch.

If we signed a DP striker it wouldn't make a difference over De Guzman until the team play came together.

This is the fallacy of signing a DP that teams make year after year. They think a DP will solve the problems in the rest of the squad.

We don't need a DP defender either. We need a decent defender to isn't flashy but who gets the job done.
    The issue is coaching, and an imbalanced team (too many midfielders).
    Good coaching can make a lot out of an otherwise crap team (John Limniatiis showed that with Montreal). Bad coaching can make a fantastic team look bad. Poor general management (LA until this year, RSL for the first few years until their GM was fired) ends up with a team with glaring weaknesses.

We have a coach with poor tactics and a GM who doesn't give us a balanced team (despite getting some fantastic players). That's why we can't win.

Now the lack of balanced team might be on Carver, as he said that Mo listened to him who to bring in.

Cummins will be gone, and if Mo listens to the next coach about who to bring in, then we can change this side into a winning side, provided we get a quality coach.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Several times last night he prevented the ball from moving from the middle third to the defensive third. He most likely helped prevent build ups of play that would have lead to goals, so ya he actually more then likely allowed us to keep the tie.. and would have allowed us to have a win if not for bone head defending and a keeper that obviously dosen't trust his defenders enough to stay on his line.

Last night was salvaged by JDG and we would have lost without him.. so ya I think it was a good purchase.

now for the back line...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG is going to get a lot of criticism on this board for not having a flashy position and doing the dirty work. He hasn't had much of an impact yet and considering the size of his salary comparatively speaking, it's going to draw criticism. Like I said, JDG joining us at this point in the season was ridiculous.

As for the goals...listen...all defensive players have ugly own goals on their resume. I don't particularly blame Garcia for the first goal as much as I hold him partially responsible for poor communication between the keeper and his backline. Frei's poor decision-making on crosses has been a killer for us this season, which is why I am so baffled by the "Frei for President" segment of this board. He hasn't been as good as people make him out to be, but let's keep pumping him up so we can sell him to Europe! I'd rather take the dollars than keep him to be honest.

As for the 2nd goal...Garcia was marking McBride as well as can be expected, McBride has been putting those away in the Premier League for years. My biggest problem is with closing down opposition players.

I watched the game with a friend from England yesterday who is an Arsenal supporter and he was amazed at the poor effort in closing down players by our team. (He was also unimpressed with the velocity of the MLS game but that is another conversation altogether). However, his most vocal complaint was about players being allowed to develop plays unaccountable and unpressured.

It's disgusting.

If Cummins can't get these players to play proper defense, get someone else who can. But I am tired of watching this team suck defensively. Mo Johnson did what I feared he would do at the beginning of the season, fail to address the backline issue. He brought in Garcia half-way through the season as sort of a make-up for losing Marshall which means he did a sum-equivalent of NOTHING to address our porous backline. And the overall poor effort by the entire team in pressuring the opposition and letting them develop their offensive plays unhindered. It's angering. It's unprofessional. It's the reason we suck.

Mo Johnston has failed to improve this team this season.

Chris Cummins has failed to capitalize on the opportunity handed to him to make something with a team that understandably was not of his choosing, but he also did nothing with what he had.

Most players have underperformed this year. The only highlights for me this year have been Attakora and De Rosario. Our Man of the Year should be one of these two. Other players have regressed.

Robbo has had a poor year.
    Brennan has regressed.
    Wynne has gone from having potential to outright sucking.
    Guevara has been lost since the halfway point of the season.
    Barrett has been underwhelming. Duane Rollins will definitely be wearing a dress this year.

Other players that were brought in this year I can't make a comparison with last year but have otherwise failed to impress much.

Gerba should've done better but also had poor service.
    Vitti has had enough of a chance, if we keep him it better be at a substantial discount.
    JDG, his impact will be next year, not this year.
    Cronin started off well and has become consistent but unspectacular.
    Garcia has obviously aged and isn't the defender he was before.
    Gomez and Sanyang will be decent solid players but are still too inexperienced.
    Serioux has been solid but far too often injured, which has been his history from team to team.
    White will become a decent scorer I think but coming off of injury we needed someone else this year up top.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 09-27-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I recall correctly... didn't Garcia also made things harder for us during the Miracle in Montreal... man what is it with him and Big games...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something that probably hasn't been mentioned... because well we are in a pretty sad state of affairs... is that Dobson was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better on this broadcast!

Usually I can't stand the combination of Dobson & Forrest... however Dobson definately stepped it up//

Yes Kudos 2 Dobson! Hopefully he keeps this up...
    Last edited by FluSH; 09-27-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved it when Forrest was chuckling at the flare-lighting from one end and then the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow..I read the whole thread and have to wait until the very end before someone mentions the lack of closing down. They were given carte blanche to send cross after cross in - any central D would give up goals in the air against that. Frankly, had chi finished better they could have had 5.

I thought it was Guevera that didn't close down the pass for the second goal - but the boards say it was Wynne, so I'll take it at that - that goal was entirely his fault for giving the Chi player all that time and space.

honestly, apart from his high profile lapses, Garcia was pretty solid (he really does read th game exceptionally well), - and his lapses were not entirely his fault - miscommunication, (really just bad luck) on the first and a taller physical player was given a pinpoint cross on his head for the second.

I thought we lost the win when we began hoofing the ball aimlessly up (the first 60 minutes we passed it around pretty well - and kept possession well); and then we were defending ridicously high with time winding down, and were getting three 'defenders' beat by the first pass. There was absolutley no team defensive shape, players were getting pulled out far too easily.

when Gerba came off I was shocked, I thought for sure it was gonna be Guevera, who put in his typical 'token' effort night. The guy only plays when he wants too, and i'll be happy to see him leave.

but for 60 minutes, yeah, they played pretty well.

I still believe the playoffs are coming to BMO this year!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    wow..I read the whole thread and have to wait until the very end before someone mentions the lack of closing down. They were given carte blanche to send cross after cross in - any central D would give up goals in the air against that. Frankly, had chi finished better they could have had 5.

I thought it was Guevera that didn't close down the pass for the second goal - but the boards say it was Wynne, so I'll take it at that - that goal was entirely his fault for giving the Chi player all that time and space.

honestly, apart from his high profile lapses, Garcia was pretty solid (he really does read th game exceptionally well), - and his lapses were not entirely his fault - miscommunication, (really just bad luck) on the first and a taller physical player was given a pinpoint cross on his head for the second.

I thought we lost the win when we began hoofing the ball aimlessly up (the first 60 minutes we passed it around pretty well - and kept possession well); and then we were defending ridicously high with time winding down, and were getting three 'defenders' beat by the first pass. There was absolutley no team defensive shape, players were getting pulled out far too easily.

when Gerba came off I was shocked, I thought for sure it was gonna be Guevera, who put in his typical 'token' effort night. The guy only plays when he wants too, and i'll be happy to see him leave.

but for 60 minutes, yeah, they played pretty well.

I still believe the playoffs are coming to BMO this year!
    I agree 99%...until you got to the playoffs at BMO part. Are you talking about the Lacrosse team that plays there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I agree 99%...until you got to the playoffs at BMO part. Are you talking about the Lacrosse team that plays there?
    You mean the one that won the championship this year?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MoJo failed to find us a coach this year. Cummins should have never had the interim or temporary tag associated with his name. Coaching a club for 90% of a season can hardly be called interim. Cummins, like Carver and Mo, just did not have what it took to install a system within the players.. Mourinho given this squad would have won the league. Im not saying that there are Mourinho calibur coaches willing to coach in MLS but there must be coaches out there good enough to take us to the playoffs.

Fire Mo. If not for anything else but for signing a 5'10" old man with no vertical game, no speed and no skill to anchor our back line. 30 isn't that old but this guy plays like hes 48.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by K1nG View Post

Fire Mo. If not for anything else but for signing a 5'10" old man with no vertical game, no speed and no skill to anchor our back line. 30 isn't that old but this guy plays like hes 48.
    Yet it very well may have been Cummins who wanted Garcia in. The coach asks for the players, MoJo does the deals. As it should be.

I'm willing to give MoJo a pass on Garcia.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game realy came down to ussing Garcia, the first goal, the one Garcia score for Chicago, was a brain cramp, a lack of communication. I understand how it happened, he tried to protect the ball and get it to the keeper, but it was a HUGE mistake, and when the only asset that Garcia has, no size, no height, no strengh, no speed, not particullarly skilled, then this is fatal. BUT THE SECOND WAS EVEN LARGER, you are playing for you playoff live, and you now you have, no size, no height, no strenght, no speed, and you let an EPL quality striker into the box unmarked. ANY HAVE DECENT CB AT ANY LEVEL PUTS HIS BODY ON THE MCBRIDE AND TAKES AWAY SPACE. ANY PROFESSIONAL CB IN ANY LEAGUE, over then the MLS admitetly, DOES THIS. McBride was not running, there was not alot of pressure, he was just standing in the box, Garcia was 3 to 6 feet infront of him observing. But this is also a team failure, someone should have yelled and screamed at Garcia to mark him and in THREE YEARS WE STILL CANNOT DEFEND AS WELL AS A THIRD TIER EUROPEAN LEAGUE. We will never win on a consistent basis, we are not Barca and Real who can score multiple goals on any team. We score two goals on the road, we had good possession, if we could do that most basic of footy tasks defend, we would be on our way to the play offs. We do not deserve to be in the play offs if we conceded goals like that. This issue has been here since we lost our first game 4-0 and has never, been addressed, and I am starting to belive that it will never be properly addressed under current managment.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Any sound-minded defender puts that ball into row Z. He tries to be clever without knowing where he stood in relation to the goal, or indeed where Frei was. It was a classic slo-mo distaster that you could see unfolding right before your eyes. Absolutely embarrassing for us all.

At least he's stopped wearing those stupid yellow boots of his - made him look like a real git - like he was wearing bananas on his feet.

His playing ability and hair style makes me think of Adam Braz. His number was Marco Reda's. That's who Nick Garcia is....

He's Adamo Brazda.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Any sound-minded defender puts that ball into row Z. .

When in doubt...kick it out

every 6 year old knows this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yet it very well may have been Cummins who wanted Garcia in. The coach asks for the players, MoJo does the deals. As it should be.

Of course it is possible that we wanted Gerba, San Jose had his rights, they said sure take his right but we want you to take Garcia too, and give us a draft pick. (can't recall all the details of trade) MO could have said, he that solves our CB problem..

I doubt that is how it went down but it's possible.

Garcia has got to go.. no one even wanted him lol.. he can't feel loved, respected or desired here... I think retirement might be good for him...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    When in doubt...kick it out

every 6 year old knows this
    I think you don't learn that until at least you're 8 years-old.
    At 6, you're still trying to remember which direction is the opposite team's goal.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Any sound-minded defender puts that ball into row Z
    While we are talking about frustrations, my blood pressure was up during minutes 80+ as we needed a goal for the 3 points and likely our playoff hopes yet we continually just "put the ball into row Z." Maybe a great tactic to ease pressure during the game but not exactly brilliant to give up possession when you are in need of a goal.

I wonder how quickly Chicago is going to put that one back into play??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garcia should go back to being lead singer for Creed.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Given that he and Mo played together at KC, that seems unlikely. In fact, given his journeyman status in the last couple of years, it's possible Cummins had never even heard of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Given that he and Mo played together at KC, that seems unlikely. In fact, given his journeyman status in the last couple of years, it's possible Cummins had never even heard of him.
    so mo told cc he's getting a good central back to replace velez and cc believed mo

then garcia outscored veleze in our own net

is that the gist?
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya I took a look at the Gerba and Garcia trade.

We asked for Gerba.Mo Listened and picked up Garcia as well all for a 3rd round pick...

This is kinda our fault.

But more so Mo's
    Garcia has been a liabilty in San Jose all season so Mo said sure...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    ya I took a look at the Gerba and Garcia trade.

We asked for Gerba.Mo Listened and picked up Garcia as well all for a 3rd round pick...

This is kinda our fault.

But more so Mo's
    Garcia has been a liabilty in San Jose all season so Mo said sure...
    How?!?! What GM in his right mind would listen to the supporters in the first place?