Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Do you remember how we got Guevara? What do you think the chances are he'd go play for Chicago? Why won't hebjust go back into the Honduran retirement he was in when Chivas had his rights and he refused to play for New York?

I realize Guevara is just one example, but there are these kinds of problems (like the Conrad one) with every player and every deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you're right. But we need to fix this problem one way or another. One more season with a rickety defense and we're in a load of trouble.

Here's a thought. Get on the phone with Phili when the expansion draft is going on. Look at the list of defenders. Teams put up players like Conrad who are expensive because they're franchise players, knowing that the new team can't afford him/won't pay for him. Then, offer Phili like...A first round draft pick + a players like Wynne or Sanyang, plus an international slot or cash, in exchange for that player.

Phili see's "Conrad", KC assume he's safe due to his high wage, Phili grabs Conrad, sends him our way, and get a player and a draft pick. It could work no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it!

You're right, the defense really needs to be improved, but let's not forget, we couldn't score a single goal again Puerto Rico so there are still problems up front.

One thing this team has shown an ability to do, though, is pounce on opportunities. Dichio can't get a visa to play in Chicago (his first choice) and boom, Canadian papers. Getting Guevara, too. And there have been more. Plus the draft.

Now, if they could get a coach...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    Obviously I don't know who we approach, but the fact is simple. Mo made his intentions clear this transfer season. JDG was his sole target. Fellinga was an easy buy, Haiti reserve who get's no play time. But we heard no rumors AT ALL about MLS players switching over. That's what I mean. There are plenty of good defenders in this league, the only thing is, no one heard even a rumour that we were after any of them. In the middle of a playoff push, Mo focused on a midfielder (and lemme tell you, if it wasn't for the fact that it was De Guzman as a DP, oh boy...) when in reality we needed to bolster our defensive side and buy a striker who can SCORE GOALS.

And I beg to differ about not being able to buy whoever we want. We can buy whoever we want in this league, because we're a place that players would love to be. We could have approached FC Bouncycastle and spoke to one of their defenders. You think said defender would turn down 20,000 screaming, chanting supporters for...Family night out in Texas? I dunno about you, but if I were a footballer I'd wanna go where the action is.

JDG is awesome but is not what we needed. If Mo had bought JDG in, as well as someone like Will Conde during the MLS transfer season, we may have been in a more comfortable place right now. There are plenty of good defenders out there, and, let's not kid ourselves, MLSE has the money for making those moves. Maybe not the cap space, but that's another story.

Just my "$0.02"
    Mo tried to get Kei Kamara on deadline day, but all and all some good points.

Mikey

If the friend of some guy's other friend who luckily has a blog to promote says its true, thats good enough for me!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as an example:

Wilman Conde
    Bakary Soumare
    Chad Marshall
    Geoff Cameron
    John Kenedy Hurtado
    Jimmy Conrad
    Jonothan Bornstein
    Michael Parkhurst
    Gonzalo Segares
    Eddie Pope
    Eddie Robinson

These are the defenders from the MLS all star teams of the last three years. You're telling me not one of these players would play for TFC?
    I don't need an all star defender. Just give me a solid defender that is MLS proven like Bobby Boswell, Danny O'Rourke, Andy Iro. Even someone in the same league as Tyrone Marshall is fine. Pick up Jakovic and Hainault to keep them away from the Whitecaps.

I don't think it is too much to ask if we just go get one!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you're right. But we need to fix this problem one way or another. One more season with a rickety defense and we're in a load of trouble.

Here's a thought. Get on the phone with Phili when the expansion draft is going on. Look at the list of defenders. Teams put up players like Conrad who are expensive because they're franchise players, knowing that the new team can't afford him/won't pay for him. Then, offer Phili like...A first round draft pick + a players like Wynne or Sanyang, plus an international slot or cash, in exchange for that player.

Phili see's "Conrad", KC assume he's safe due to his high wage, Phili grabs Conrad, sends him our way, and get a player and a draft pick. It could work no?
    Just like Mo did with Serioux, Jacqua, Hesmer and O'Rourke in 2006. Come to think of it, we would be much better off today without some of those moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Mo tried to get Kei Kamara on deadline day, but all and all some good points.
    Really? I didn't know about that. I think he would have been a great pick up.
    Serioux retiring would be a big loss. There were games earlier in the season where he got his head on every ball that came anywhere near the box.
    Thank god we picked up Gomez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's wilman, not william.

We need to stay-at-home, leading centre halfs, one to lead the defence and one to compete with Nana for the other spot.

Plus, two wingers.

Plus, one more offensive leader, preferably a natural goal scorer.

Plus a left back and, potentially, a right back.

And a coach.

And a fitness coach.

And the GM, probably, as well.

Fuck, what a mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid defender in MLS is pretty close to un-tradable. If we got one, the asking price would be high. The other teams in this league aren't as stupid as we might want to believe they are. Jimmy Conrad, Conde, etc... those aren't going to be cheap. We'd be giving up a top 3 player on our roster for sure.

Trading Marshall then having some sort of follow-though deal not go through amounted to a large screw up. Omar Gonzales looks ok in LA, but he's getting a lot of cover defensively, so i'm not sure if passing on him in the draft was good or bad.

Bottom line is that we knew we needed a defender for sometime and we've failed to find one for whatever reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If the friend of some guy's other friend who luckily has a blog to promote says its true, thats good enough for me!!!

Turns out it was true!! LOL

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by OHARARULES View Post
    Turns out it was true!! LOL
    Serioux retired due to injury?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my friends...unless there was new info to share on this topic, is it really necessary to bump up threads from September? I am closing this one down.