Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    ^^^^
    You ever wonder why DeRo never went to Europe... this thread comes up ALL THE TIME. Sure DeRo should be pissed at Mo... but I think he needs to fire his agent... it wouldn't surprise me if DeRo's agent is a family member or closed friend... it's my only explination as to why he hasn't landed a role however small in Europe... unless of course it's by choice.
    He did go to Europe. Two seasons in Zwickau. He didn't play a heckuva lot and I recall there being issues with racism in the former East German city leading DeRo to come home to play in the USL with Richmond.

Of course the oft discussed story about Kevin Keegan wanting to bring DeRo to Manchester City and then resigning in a huff when the board said no. It was the final straw for Keegan who had been forced to endure their meddling in the past.

It would be interesting to know if he had turned down any interested European clubs. There had to inquiries at some point in time one would think.

But now that he's over 30, the ship to Europe has sailed without DeRo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    He did go to Europe. Two seasons in Zwickau. He didn't play a heckuva lot and I recall there being issues with racism in the former East German city leading DeRo to come home to play in the USL with Richmond.

Of course the oft discussed story about Kevin Keegan wanting to bring DeRo to Manchester City and then resigning in a huff when the board said no. It was the final straw for Keegan who had been forced to endure their meddling in the past.

It would be interesting to know if he had turned down any interested European clubs. There had to inquiries at some point in time one would think.

Blackburn Rovers wanted him the same season as Man City but the word on their boards was that fan pressure led to the idea being unnixed, because he was an unknown quanity to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was also the six-month contract on the table from Blackburn that DeRo walked away from because he didn't want to uproot his young family with no real certainty that he would be there for more than six month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bruva View Post
    Knew something about this awhile ago and didn't shock me at all, i actually did one of these and thought oh no MoJo has been up to his snake moves again lol

I really wanna see how it plays out coz DeRo will not just give up the team to Julian which might help the team BUT if Julian is shown too much favourtism it get to DeRo.
    Does it not astound you, at this point, that people still haven't figured out that Mo is a snake?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    There was also the six-month contract on the table from Blackburn that DeRo walked away from because he didn't want to uproot his young family with no real certainty that he would be there for more than six month.
    That makes sense. I wonder if the fan thing was involved at all -- as in why the deal was only six months -- because they certainly thought they had the pull at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    That makes sense. I wonder if the fan thing was involved at all -- as in why the deal was only six months -- because they certainly thought they had the pull at the time.
    Perhaps it was just through to the end of that season.

That had to be a tough decision for DeRo as it could have been a stepping stone to other big things but it's DeRo's life and DeRo's family and he has to do what he believes is best at the time.

Hopefully it doesn't haunt him at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Probably.

Just another case of the fans not knowing what's best for themselves, but thinking they do.

DeRo would have been a great immediate supersub for Blackburn., and he was still young enough back then to grow into a better overall player.

EDIT: As Blizzard stated above me, it was indeed a contract through the end of the season. DeRo trialed in England during the MLS off-season, so it would have been around January-ish when the contract was offered to him.
    Last edited by Rudi; 09-23-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and I stand corrected...maybe his agent ain't that bad!!!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

typical optimistic parkdale comment

Right now, DeRo is on the team, and so if JDG and a few other skilled players.
    That's all that matter - they are on the team!

I'm sure that when the league realizes that you have to pay REAL professional
    salaries to have a real professional league (if they haven't already figured that out)
    then the purse strings will open and everyone will get paid what they are worth.

take a look at this: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

see how much a guy like Andrea Bargnani gets paid? More than all of TFC (DP included)
    This isn't a case of cheap owners, it's a case of the league trying to protect itself from
    the imbalance you get with rich owners in an 'open market' league (like MLB).

when the rules are updated, I think everyone will get what they deserve.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    typical optimistic parkdale comment

Right now, DeRo is on the team, and so if JDG and a few other skilled players.
    That's all that matter - they are on the team!

I'm sure that when the league realizes that you have to pay REAL professional
    salaries to have a real professional league (if they haven't already figured that out)
    then the purse strings will open and everyone will get paid what they are worth.

take a look at this: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

see how much a guy like Andrea Bargnani gets paid? More than all of TFC (DP included)
    This isn't a case of cheap owners, it's a case of the league trying to protect itself from
    the imbalance you get with rich owners in an 'open market' league (like MLB).

when the rules are updated, I think everyone will get what they deserve.
    ...within a sport that doesn't have anywhere near the TV revenues of other sports in NA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably.

Just another case of the fans not knowing what's best for themselves, but thinking they do.

It wll be interesting to see how this plays out. Essentially we just saw Dichio (probably his agent) negotiate through the press with stories appearing about USL teams looking to hire him, fan outrage and he gets a contract for next year - which, officially, even the GM doesn't have.

So, now DeRo is going to negotiate through the press and look to fan support to make a deal.

You can't blame the players, they have to do what's best for themselves, but how will this affect the next GM looking for a job here - sure, you can make most of the player and coaching selection, but you have to keep the fan favourites.

As always, it's a lot easier for the owners to give fan favourites contracts than to win championships.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It wll be interesting to see how this plays out. Essentially we just saw Dichio (probably his agent) negotiate through the press with stories appearing about USL teams looking to hire him, fan outrage and he gets a contract for next year - which, officially, even the GM doesn't have.

So, now DeRo is going to negotiate through the press and look to fan support to make a deal.

You can't blame the players, they have to do what's best for themselves, but how will this affect the next GM looking for a job here - sure, you can make most of the player and coaching selection, but you have to keep the fan favourites.

As always, it's a lot easier for the owners to give fan favourites contracts than to win championships.
    Yes poor Mo his hands are tied thats why we are in danger of not making the playoffs in the third year. You are ignoring all the noise and extra curicullar activity that has gone around the TFC FO over the last several years. This is not exactly a seamless operation.

The DD situation was a disgrace and the fools, whoever they are, were saved from themselves. If DD leaked stuff to the media to get it out..good for him..its not beyond the TFC FO to play the same game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a case of the league trying to protect itself from
    the imbalance you get with rich owners in an 'open market' league
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    ...within a sport that doesn't have anywhere near the TV revenues of other sports in NA.
    Still though, if one team wants to dominate the league in profit making ventures like jersey sales, merchandise, TV rights etc, they know exactly what to do (hint, Beckham)

Yes soccer is smaller tier than basketball and hockey at the moment, but that could easily change in under a decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ a certain french striker can make this league another shit load

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    ^ a certain french striker can make this league another shit load
    Just imagine if he waited to sign with Montreal. FAWK that would piss me off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    [i]

Still though, if one team wants to dominate the league in profit making ventures like jersey sales, merchandise, TV rights etc, they know exactly what to do (hint, Beckham)

Yes soccer is smaller tier than basketball and hockey at the moment, but that could easily change in under a decade.
    In this town, football can easily be the second sport. The sallary cap works against it.

I am somewhat pissed at Dero, renegotiating is OK, but bringing it out in the open with the season still on. Not a good move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    ^^^^
    You ever wonder why DeRo never went to Europe... this thread comes up ALL THE TIME. Sure DeRo should be pissed at Mo... but I think he needs to fire his agent... it wouldn't surprise me if DeRo's agent is a family member or closed friend... it's my only explination as to why he hasn't landed a role however small in Europe... unless of course it's by choice.
    yes I understand this.....but it still doesn't make ok the fact that he was basically lied to by Mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    Yes poor Mo his hands are tied thats why we are in danger of not making the playoffs in the third year. You are ignoring all the noise and extra curicullar activity that has gone around the TFC FO over the last several years. This is not exactly a seamless operation.

The DD situation was a disgrace and the fools, whoever they are, were saved from themselves. If DD leaked stuff to the media to get it out..good for him..its not beyond the TFC FO to play the same game.

Well, I work in TV so I probably have a different definition of "seamless operation," than you do. What I see as snake behaviour on a regular basis from producers and network execs would make even MLSE and Mo blush . I know how my own agent would respond to a "promise," that wasn't in the contract. I find it hard to believe that sports agents are any more naive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chad BArrett..VITTI...to Columbus...in exchange of there DP SPOT!!

= Everyone's happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    yes I understand this.....but it still doesn't make ok the fact that he was basically lied to by Mo.
    Where does DeRo state he was lied to by Mo?

DeRo says "To my knowledge it was promised that I was going to be Designated Player" That sounds like he heard that information from somebody else, almost certainly from his agent.

And when it comes to agents I would take anything they say with a very large pinch of salt. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if an agent took a quote like "As long as the MLS sign off on it, he'll be our DP" and turned it into "They've promised you the DP spot" It's not exactly lying, it's just missing out a key bit of information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    Chad BArrett..VITTI...to Columbus...in exchange of there DP SPOT!!

= Everyone's happy!
    Not sure Columbus would be

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    How do you even know this? Your own cynicism towards Mo, or the ownership?

All DeRo said, was that after he told Houston he wanted out, the league and/or Mo obviously changed their tune. For all we know, it was either a) an inexplicable decision by Mo to "screw over" his OWN PLAYER, that would be playing with him for several years, or b) a decision consistent with decisions MLS has made regarding players like Kenny Cooper, not to allow TFC to use the DP slot on DeRo.

And to the people saying "well, surely Mo knew they wouldn't let him beforehand". Really? How many occasions have we seen where the league has held up a deal unexpectedly after all but their approval has been worked out?

DeRo comes to TFC for a long-term contract, that includes a huge raise over what he was making in Houston, and people are calling Mo a snake because there was obviously some disagreement with the league over whether they could use the DP slot on him?

How about this - until any of us has a goddamn clue as to what happened regarding giving DeRo the DP slot, why not temper some of that cynicism?

I said the same thing when people were being ridiculously cynical about MLSE's commitment to getting grass, and when they said MLSE would never shell out for a DP because they already profit off the club, and when they said MLSE would never bring in a top tier club for a friendly (granted that was a total botch job with the ridiculous ticket prices).

To my mind, it would make no sense for Mo to jack a player he's going to have in his locker room for years. It'd be more consistent with objective reality, for MLS to have decided that TFC wasn't allowed to use the DP slot on DeRo, and so they worked out a new deal instead.

A DEAL WHICH DERO PUT PEN TO PAPER ON, lest we forget. It wasn't like Mo tricked DeRo into leaving Houston, then signed him to a bad contract - he got an immense raise, and is probably the best paid non-DP player in the league, behind Landycakes, and maybe Schellotto.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Schellotto's a DP.

Remember also that it took some doing just to convince the MLS offices that JDG was worthy of a DP spot. They didn't think he was a big enough name.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Schellotto's a DP.
    Is he officially? I was always under the impression that GBS has some kind of strange, under the table contract, that allows him to be paid considerably well, without taking up their DP slot.

Remember also that it took some doing just to convince the MLS offices that JDG was worthy of a DP spot. They didn't think he was a big enough name.
    Exactly. And yet some people are just assuming it's more reasonable that Mo screwed his new signing, and not that MLS decided the DP slot couldn't be used to give a lifelong MLS player a giant raise.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Schellotto's a DP.

I don't either. But what's done is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Is he officially? I was always under the impression that GBS has some kind of strange, under the table contract, that allows him to be paid considerably well, without taking up their DP slot.
    He was during '07 and '08, when Columbus was paying him allocation money to keep him under the DP salary range. That allocation money ran out last year, and Schellotto re-signed on a one-year DP contract.

He's likely to re-sign again for 2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my understanding when the discussion with Dero about coming to Toronto MLS would not give Dero DP money the same way as they wouldn't give Cooper DP money. BUT... I heard that MO promised Dero that he would be the highest paid player on the team.

So is Mo being a snake??? Let's look at what has transpired:

He signs the majority of the players from one agent
    We have had 3 coaches in 3 years - one quit cause the MLS ***wink, wink ****
    The face of the franchise gets rail roaded into retirement

what do you guys think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    From my understanding when the discussion with Dero about coming to Toronto MLS would not give Dero DP money the same way as they wouldn't give Cooper DP money. BUT... I heard that MO promised Dero that he would be the highest paid player on the team.
    And he was by a wide margin, at the time. But really... who cares? If JDG will make the team better, why would DeRo care who makes the most on the team? Did he just expect we wouldn't bring in a DP player for four years? Suppose some well-known international playmaker like a Beckham becomes available to TFC - should Mo just say "sorry, we promised DeRo he'd make the most money on the team"?

Assuming this is even true, it's just egotistical nonsense. Regardless of what JDG makes, DeRo is still being just as well compensated as he was four months ago.

Plus, DeRo didn't seem at all bothered by JDG making more than him on the show.

- Scott
    ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shakes

I don't disagree with you as Dero is making decent money to play here as he never established himself in Europe ala JDG.

To argue the flip side who is a more important piece to the team our leading scorer or JDG. This IMO is what the issue is more than anything. You get a guy who is our leading scorer and you give DP money to a DM?

I can see where Dero would be upset and from everything I heard Mo promised the world to Dero and pretty much changed everything once he agreed to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything he promised would be in the contract that DeRo signed, no?