Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is it me or did JDG look a bit lost?

To me, JDG, looked like he was unsure what his teammates were doing/thinking, sure he made tons of nice 1 touches, but it seemed like when he tried to help his teammates, they didn't really respond

for example: he was trying to lead Garcia to the right flank, where there was a lot of space, and Garcia decided to change ways instead of following JDG

I certainly felt that he was not on the same page as TFC whether it is a step down or just a totally different system

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure it was a bit of both. JDG has never played with a lot of these guys before, so it will take a while before he gets in sync with them. Probably not until next season, even.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty standard for a guy's first game with 1 or 2 practices.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the Garcia example, not exactly a wizard out there... Maybe he was the one who was a little lost...

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh you lost me at Garcia ... yeh lets just say JDG isn't up to Garcia's pace lolololol, slow down Julian, slow down!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes time to get used to what others do. I am not surprised at all to have seen him like that. If he's still like that after 3-4 games, then we have an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be foolish to expect any sort of significant contribution from him until the beginning of next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a little unsure where his teammates are, which, honestly, is half of the problem, his teammates are unsure where they should be, that's another half of the problem.

albeit not at his 100%, JDG is the best skilled player on the pitch for TFC, quick turn, quick touch, quick pass, still very smooth in the game, takes on average 1 sec to receive, turn, look, pass.

cronin, guevara, etc, receive pass, hold, dribble dribble, look, pass, over 3-4 seconds, and any space are shut down already
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They definitely looked awkward going forward. JDG and Amado found themselves in the same space a few times especially in the first half. The ball spent allot of time in the midfield.
    JDG passed the ball to where players should be going.... they will eventually catch on. Some miscommunication is inevitable.
    I'm really not a fan of DeRo playing as a forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it has been 1 game and 5 practices!!!!

what do you realy expect?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought JDG was miles better than any of our other players (DeRo was also good). I don't think he looked lost - it was funny though, he was running when he didn't have the ball...and when he passed the ball, he would run either into space or back into position and when he got the ball, he also ran with it....

I've never seen anyone on our team do that before.

I think he's found, the rest are the ones that are lost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    I thought JDG was miles better than any of our other players (DeRo was also good). I don't think he looked lost - it was funny though, he was running when he didn't have the ball...and when he passed the ball, he would run either into space or back into position and when he got the ball, he also ran with it....

+1

precisely
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Absolutely bang on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit lost? ... being out of form and unfamiliar with his teammates, that was nevertheless probably one of the more complete performances by a TFC player all year.

Did you not see how fluid the midfield was yesterday?

A bit languid yes ... but the passing was fairly crisp and with purpose.

The reason we lost yesterday was horrendous defending and missing the final ball in attack.

Other than that we probably deserved something from the game, just purely based on possession, which did lead to at least 3 legitimate scoring occasions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is absolutely correct. Although I thought he and De Ro played well off each other, and you could sort of tell that he'd played with Gerba and Brennan before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was one of the weaker players on the pitch. I was dissapointed with his performance regardless of his recent lack of games. He has learned from today/yesterday and better pick it up for next game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG added some real quality to this team in the first half. It went pear-shaped in the second half because, inexplicably, they stopped playing the ball through him and reverted to route 1 instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so yeah, i was completely drunk out of my mind last night (found 20 beer cans and a mickey in my rooom loool)

the one thing i liked about JDG was all his passes or almost all of them were 1 touch

I think he was toooo skilled for the other TFC players (thats where I came across wrong in my original topic)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xj Darrell View Post
    They definitely looked awkward going forward. JDG and Amado found themselves in the same space a few times especially in the first half. The ball spent allot of time in the midfield.
    JDG passed the ball to where players should be going.... they will eventually catch on. Some miscommunication is inevitable.
    I'm really not a fan of DeRo playing as a forward.

Exactly... passing to open space where players should be going without the ball! believe it or not people... It's a new concept to our team... I thought JDG was excellent besides that unneeded tackle, and I was one of the few on this board who didn't want JDG on this team... I still think he is the wrong player for us... but his skill yesterday was shown...

Outcome: Either JDG's play will be waterdown by this team... or JDG will elevate this team to new heights... I hope it's not the former.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    so yeah, i was completely drunk out of my mind last night (found 20 beer cans and a mickey in my rooom loool)

the one thing i liked about JDG was all his passes or almost all of them were 1 touch

I think he was toooo skilled for the other TFC players (thats where I came across wrong in my original topic)
    That's a fair point. I just hope that he doesn't bring down his level to suit this team. I hope this team learns to play through him.

If anyone was lost last night, it had to be Brennan (who basically allowed Beckham to serve up two goals) and Cummins for his mind-boggling substitutions in the second half.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    I can't blame Cummins for the subs.... they probably came to late though... Gerba should have been out by the half... give him an Angry Whopper and have him take a seat.
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    ^^^
    I can't blame Cummins for the subs.... they probably came to late though... Gerba should have been out by the half... give him an Angry Whopper and have him take a seat.
    You can't blame the manager for team substitutions? You're putting me on. White for Gerba made perfect sense, but the other two only brought on lesser players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    You can't blame the manager for team substitutions? You're putting me on. White for Gerba made perfect sense, but the other two only brought on lesser players.
    Ok so we agree with White for Gerba....

Felinga came on for Barrett... and Cronin for Vitti. Personally, I think Barrett was more of a threat than Felinga.... but Cummins needed a spark out there and probably thought to replicate the OBW lineup that had scored the previous time... Vitti for Cronin... well we dominated the midfield, but we weren't doing anything really to penetrate the box... (outshot by 6!) We've all seen the craftyness that Vitti can produce at times and the many times that he hits the wood from just outside the box... To me that was a good sub... probably too late though as the team was deflated by then...
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason I remember Fellinga coming on for Gerba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont hesitate to criticize members of this team at all. But JDG has to get a pass for this game and probably until the start of 2010. He's going to have a lot of pressure on him being the DP in Toronto (probably the harshest fans in the league) he doesn't need us getting on his case after one game. Let's not be stupid and be reasonable in our expectations. He's not going to score a brace every match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not think he looked outta place at all I think he is used to playing with and against world class players lets be honest there is not many of those on the pitch at anytime in the mls the game is alot slower he was passing into positions that he believed there SHOULD be players but nobody made runs, his pass to gerba was world class....I think he will gel with this team very quickly probably by next week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ProZone stats had him in top fifth in touches, passes and passing accuracy but what was more telling was his quality and speed of making decisions on the ball.

He found and created space all night, at will; much of it was wasted by others with a less than stellar ability to make decisions or keep up, OFF-THE-BALL!!!

The next gaffer has a lot to figure out.

Positive side is he's going to get better and the smarter players will adapt and gravitate to him. As the cliche goes, JDG's game will "separate the wheat from the chaff". Negative, I'm thinking TFC has more chaff than wheat. So it won't take long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White went on for Barrett
    Fellinga for Gerba
    Vitti for Cronin

we were playing basicly a 4-5-1 with player not in natural positions.

This allowed the galaxy defense to concentrate and styme TFCs attacks and because Wynne and Brennan are seldom in position, and Garcia is to slow, and JDG was being played out of his natural position, you allowed galaxy to walk all over us... just like every away game we've had.

We were basicly playing with one proper defender. That being said JDG still had a bigger impact on defending then Wynne did...

MLSE needs to go shopping for a strong coach, and spend the money a coaching staff that is going to fix the issues on this team.. and a couple of defender to replace Garcia Brennan and Wynne. Fellinga and Gomez will develop but right now we have the worse back line in the league as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://twitter.com/mayormiller/status/4116626405

Missed the first half hour, and the goal, but must say TFC looks like a different team with deGuzman: organized, ball at the feet, patient.
    about 15 hours ago from TwitterBerry
    This may be the only time I've completely agreed with a politician.