Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    This argument is getting silly and seems to an argument for arguments sake... but I agree with both sides (wtf??) I don't think the article is written is intended to be interpreted as some have here, but re-read the article and see how it could be interpreted that way. It's really silly to split hairs like this guys.

A simple "that's not the intention of the article and this is what it is saying" would suffice. Can we please focus some of this hatred on the Red Bulls? You know, since they're shite?
    it's true they are

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    It's pretty easy I think. I mean, it wasn't formed as the Red Patch Boys Casual Friendship Group was it?
    exactly

i didn't join to look at jay's fukking mug and talk about the weather

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, I'm tired of this 'elistest' bullshit that gets tossed around so frequently. It happens on both sides.

What he's saying is, if you joined a supporters group... be a supporter. If you aren't a supporter, don't join a supporters group. It's pretty easy I think. I mean, it wasn't formed as the Red Patch Boys Casual Friendship Group was it?
    and there's the jump that you always make, that it's about being a supporters group or just a fan club. I'm pretty sure the article is about people in the south end who aren't part of any group, and behave poorly because of lack of experience or education.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    This argument is getting silly and seems to an argument for arguments sake... but I agree with both sides (wtf??) I don't think the article is written is intended to be interpreted as some have here, but re-read the article and see how it could be interpreted that way. It's really silly to split hairs like this guys.

A simple "that's not the intention of the article and this is what it is saying" would suffice. Can we please focus some of this hatred on the Red Bulls? You know, since they're shite?

But you see, it was all fine and dandy until Parkdale and Flatpicker came in calling it egotistical bullshit and elitest. There was no mention prior to that.

Barbarez

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    elitist in what sense dude?

if you mean elitist in the fact that I took to time to love football in this city my whole life instead on starting last summer. if elitist means taking the time to learn the rules and the players and that....the people that do that deserve to be elite in my opinion...sorry if some take offence
    to add...elitist meaning, spending your weekends making flags and banners to cover up the horrendous concrete infront of our section, elitist meaning purchasing megaphones, walkies, scarves and trying to involve the whole section then fuck yeah, I am an elitist. FUck you and all these other lil punks who think they can come in without having done shit to prove themselves and thinking they can consider themselves supporters.
    Last edited by Barbarez; 06-09-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    elitist in what sense dude?

if you mean elitist in the fact that I took to time to love football in this city my whole life instead on starting last summer. if elitist means taking the time to learn the rules and the players and that....the people that do that deserve to be elite in my opinion...sorry if some take offence
    Nobody is stopping you from doing and feeling what you want.

The elitist comes in when a person spends their time worrying about how much better they are than the guy beside them. If that is what the soccer experience makes you do...then you are elitist. Dunno if you are or not, this is simply a general description and each of us has to honestly look in the mirror and make that determination. If you we don't like what we see in the mirror, we can either ignore it or accept it, but it doesn't change the original fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    and there's the jump that you always make, that it's about being a supporters group or just a fan club. I'm pretty sure the article is about people in the south end who aren't part of any group, and behave poorly because of lack of experience or education.
    I was responding to a single comment hence my response. As you can see prior to that my comments were very on topic. Fuck off trying to call me out on that. As I've said three times now, there were no problems in this thread until you lot came in talking shit about how it's elitest and egotistical.

The article was being disected and people were discussing the points brought up in said article.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like a soap opera in here sometimes (not that I watch any....)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

The elitist comes in when a person spends their time worrying about how much better they are than the guy beside them. If that is what the soccer experience makes you do...then you are elitist. Dunno if you are or not, this is simply a general description and each of us has to honestly look in the mirror and make that determination. If you we don't like what we see in the mirror, we can either ignore it or accept it, but it doesn't change the original fact.

The elitest comes in when YOU GUYS tell them they are worrying about how much better they are. Never do they say shit like that. They call out the people who cause shit, good for them. They call for the 'casual' fans to step it up, good for them. Then people come in and say that they are telling everyone that they aren't as cool or hardcore. Of course when you tell someone what their opinion is, that they are going to respond in a negative manner.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But you see, it was all fine and dandy until Parkdale and Flatpicker came in calling it egotistical bullshit and elitest. There was no mention prior to that.
    What I said was that it was divisive, which is the wrong way to go about showing band-wagon jumpers how things could be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey the mirror idea was mine first

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is it divisive? They are pointing out things that need to be changed in their opinion. Divisive is coming in and calling someone egotistical for having an opinion different from one's own.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let me get this straight. I am elitist because I tell people to worry about themselves and stop worrying about what others do.

Ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let me get this straight. I am elitist because I tell people to worry about themselves and stop worrying about what others do.

Ok.
    Give me a break. So we should just accept that we have idiots in the stands who throw beer and don't pay attention to the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was responding to a single comment hence my response. As you can see prior to that my comments were very on topic. Fuck off trying to call me out on that. As I've said three times now, there were no problems in this thread until you lot came in talking shit about how it's elitest and egotistical.

The article was being disected and people were discussing the points brought up in said article.
    Or guys like me that just like to make a joke here and there about the colour of his TFC jersey.

There will always be the so called casual fan, and if there is a job that I take to task it is not trying to convert them, as that is a personal choice, my task is simple...cheer on the boys to victory. If people are inspired by my passion then awesome, if not so be it.

Lets all remember it is about the team first and foremost.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Divisive is coming in and calling someone egotistical for having an opinion different from one's own.
    And saying that the bandwagon jumpers will never experience the same Joy that someone who was waiting for the team will experience IS egotistical. If calling it for what it is makes me divisive, then I guess I am.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(ok... so I'm back sooner than I thought)

My first post in this thread was me being critical of this article... so what?

It happens to every article in the media... people post comments about what was wrong with it.
    Are we not allowed to do that?

Some of you seem to think that I support the uninterested "fans" that go to the game...
    well, if you think that, than you are misquoting me as badly as you misquote that article.

It can't be any clearer where there problem with that article is...

...the ticket-holders who are obvious members of that new breed of football fans, those who couldn't have cared less about the sport until it popped up in their own backyard. Eager to jump on the bandwagon, these "fans" try hard to appreciate the game, ...but their superficial enjoyment of a day out on a Saturday can never match the sheer joy of fans who have been waiting years – or in some cases decades – for a professional team to thrive in Toronto.
    that does not say "those who go to the game but don't support the team are rubbish"
    it is saying those who have enjoyed soccer for a long time are better than those who have enjoyed it for a short time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ACSertL View Post
    Or guys like me that just like to make a joke here and there about the colour of his TFC jersey.

There will always be the so called casual fan, and if there is a job that I take to task it is not trying to convert them, as that is a personal choice, my task is simple...cheer on the boys to victory. If people are inspired by my passion then awesome, if not so be it.

Lets all remember it is about the team first and foremost.
    And we were having a laugh about it, and the article. Then the riot police comes in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give me a break. So we should just accept that we have idiots in the stands who throw beer and don't pay attention to the game?
    No, of course not. But of course, I would love to read whatever article you are now referring to.

Barbarez

Ok.
    Dude, that's the kind of attitude that is keep us back from making BMO into a one voice. That, I'll sing I dont care about the guy beside me attitude. How can you not care if the guy beside you comes two a total of 2 games throws shit on the pitch and leaves, then at the next game you got 5 undercovers staring you down with a loaded pistol???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude I get that that is annoying to you, but really what else are you going to do other than accept it? Does anyone really think they can control what anyone else chooses to do? The throwing beer is an enforceable rule at BMO, but if they don't want to pay attention?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    And saying that the bandwagon jumpers will never experience the same Joy that someone who was waiting for the team will experience IS egotistical. If calling it for what it is makes me divisive, then I guess I am.

Funny how it's ONE sentance that has you guys so pissed!

To be completely honest, yes I agree with that sentance. I have waited 20+ years to have a home club to support. Do I honestly think some average joe who never knew anything about football previous to TFC can match the enthousiasm I have for this team? No, I really don't.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarez View Post
    Dude, that's the kind of attitude that is keep us back from making BMO into a one voice. That, I'll sing I dont care about the guy beside me attitude. How can you not care if the guy beside you comes two a total of 2 games throws shit on the pitch and leaves, then at the next game you got 5 undercovers staring you down with a loaded pistol???
    This is the thing that gets me. I don't want that guy beside me either. But if I rat on him hoping he gets tossed, I am a snitch, according to you guys as well!

But yelling at him or insulting him is going to make him a better supporter?

All I know is that I have encouraged people around me to sing and jump by doing it myself and encouraging them to do it, not insulting them. If people can't see the value of attracting flies with honey rather than vinegar, then I am not going to waste my time convincing them.

Great supporters comes from people doing it from the heart, not because they are forced into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be completely honest, yes I agree with that sentance. I have waited 20+ years to have a home club to support. Do I honestly think some average joe who never knew anything about football previous to TFC can match the enthousiasm I have for this team? No, I really don't.
    Funny cause I am new to the game, but TFC is my number one club. Actually my only. you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, of course not. But of course, I would love to read whatever article you are now referring to.
    Their formulaic hockey chants get louder in direct proportion to the alcohol they consume, with their willingness to spend big at the concessions ensuring that security will only intervene in extreme circumstances. After the match, these weekend warriors, emboldened by alcohol, attempt to re-enact their favourite scenes from Green Street Hooligans, thinking that vandalizing city property and goading fellow BMO attendees makes them more of a fan.
    Or did you follow Parky and FP in stopping after one line that pissed them off?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sentence sums up my whole problem with the article. I guess that's why you see it as my aversion to anything ultra/hardcore, but I don't think that when it really comes down to it, that we can say it's better for us. Sure we were more excited about getting the team, but were we any more excited when Dichio scored that first goal? I'd never argue that I was more excited than anyone else. We were all going bonkers together, which was why it was special.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a bandwagon jumper. I was somewhat interested in soccer long before TFC came around. When TFC did come along, I took it as a chance to learn more about the game and support a team.
    And no, I don't understand all the rules. The offside rule has been explained to me and it still baffles me at times. No, I don't have every player's name and number memorized. No, I don't attend every game, but believe me, I would if I could afford it; and when I do attend, I stand for the full 90 minutes and pay attention.
    Call me a part-time, bandwagon-jumping supporter all you want. I'm learning as much about the game as I can, as quickly as I can.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or did you follow Parky and FP in stopping after one line that pissed them off?
    I normally don't base my opinion on an article by taking one section out of context.