Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a preamble to a witch hunt...lighten up and enjoy the full stadium. I would think that surely 'ultras' can't let their gameday experience be thrown off so easily?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some good points. I am a new fan of the sport. I am just learning the ins and outs. I am sure some would call me a band wagon jumper as I started following the sport when the team came in. Luckily how much I love TFC isn't open to a vote. While I am sure it is frustrating to all the old school footie fans, at the end of the day any support, band wagon or not, raises the profile of the league and team and puts buts in the seats.
    Why not educate them helpfully rather than just be pissy about it?

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdrs View Post
    raises the profile of the league and team and puts buts in the seats.
    Why not educate them helpfully rather than just be pissy about it?
    "Butts" has two t's...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    "Butts" has two t's...

eliteist, haha

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing is that while there are those that complain about bandwagon jumpers...the fact of the matters is that without those darned bandwagon jumpers, this team will never be successful.

If there were only hardcore supporters in the stands, we'd only be able to fill the south stand and this team will both never make money and therefore perpetually suck.

The guys near me who don't know Jack about the team? I try to get my enthusiasm infect them to get them into the game. I always said it was more productive to encourage them on rather than scream at them as to how much of a poor supporter/fan they are.

But to each his own...if you want to be bitter about it, my guess it isn't just TFC support you are bitter about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This shit is exactly the kind of message that will have us down to 9,000 a game in no time. Although as long as those 9,000 were hardcore "real" supporters I guess it wouldn't mattter right?

Barbarez

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    This shit is exactly the kind of message that will have us down to 9,000 a game in no time. Although as long as those 9,000 were hardcore "real" supporters I guess it wouldn't mattter right?
    Obviously the quality of support to you does not matter mr maple leaf. If it was up to me, I'd rather have 10, 000 supporters that I know are going to make noise then 20, 000 who are going to sit there and munch of their food.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey fuck head, you don't know me so shut the fuck up!

Barbarez

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    Hey fuck head, you don't know me so shut the fuck up!
    You're right, I dont know. Stop writing stupid shit then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarez View Post
    You're right, I dont know. Stop writing stupid shit then.

did Barbarez just say that???

Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    Finally the correct answer.

At least there is some interest in the team and the game right now which is more than you can say for a lot of teams in the MLS. Would the writer prefer a half-empty stadium until Toronto had 20,000 fans that are as hardcore as he is?
    Yes I think he probably would

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously the quality of support to you does not matter mr maple leaf. If it was up to me, I'd rather have 10, 000 supporters that I know are going to make noise then 20, 000 who are going to sit there and munch of their food.
    and you figure MLSE will bother for 9000? I guess you should buy the team and then you can keep it going with its half empty park.

Barbarez

hmm I should have known better then to post such an article to a bunch of MLSE sympathizers and a group whos main goal is to attract more members and sell more product.

My bad.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how does donovan have 100 goddamn caps? fakk he's such a chivo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a big deal with the whole "bandwagon" thing has its pros and cons.

Obviously, in a city where soccer isn't its main sport, you have to kind of expect to welcome anyone into the stadium. Especially with such a young team.

On the flipside, you might have the wrong people buying up seats for the wrong reasons. Give it a couple of years and those people are back in the ACC or Rogers Centre and you have empty seats at BMO.

I think the biggest thing that I've noticed is that, while Toronto is so incredibly multicultural, you don't see enough support for the home team. When the World Cup is on, you see cars with their countries flags everywhere and when their team makes a great win the streets in different areas are packed with honking cars. Where are all of these people? Have they simply disappeared? Or are they simply bandwagon hoppers too?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully this discourages you from posting here again! Ah...to dream.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10,000? That would be really impressive. What's the south end currently hold? 3,000?
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    10,000? That would be really impressive. What's the south end currently hold? 3,000?
    That's the funny thing. There aren't 10,000 people in Toronto, let alone in BMO Field stands, that fit their "model" of what a real supporter is. There aren't even enough to fill the stands. So if they think that 500 people will make enough "atmosphere" to make this team relevant...there isn't enough drugs in this world to remove those delusions, so let them be. There will always be people who spend their lives making up for their own inadequacies by putting down others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly... if you only had loud, colourful, and knowledgeable supporters in the crowd, then MLSE would barely cover the cost of those iron on patches that grace the jerseys.

olegunnar

I think there are a lot of self centered people here who seem to feel as though this article is some sort of attack on their support or those of their part time supporter friends and acquaintances.

It looks to me like this article is a PR article. A get of our back you puckhead pigs article.
    Go train vandalism, drunken bs bahaviour, throwing stuff on the field...all things the writer is trying to distance him and supporters from by pointing the finger at bandwagoners.
    Now you can't just be that transparent, so throw in some personal beefs, like the other team's kit stuff...and voila presto changeo you have your article.

But no! Somehow a bunch of people seem to have taken the article personally.
    Last edited by olegunnar; 06-09-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just seems to me like some folks are upset because they aren't special because their favourite sport, which was fringe in Canada, is now more mainstream. No poser likes it when other people start to like the same things they do and drive them into the norm... sad.

Barbarez

Quote Originally Posted by olegunner View Post
    I think there are a lot of self centered people here who seem to feel as though this article is some sort of attack on their support or those of their part time supporter friends and acquaintances.

It looks to me like this article is a PR article. A get of our back you pucked pigs article.
    Go train vandalism, drunken bs bahaviour, throwing stuff on the field...all things the writer is trying to distance him and supporters from by pointing the finger at bandwagoners.
    Now you can't just be that transparent, so throw in some personal beefs, like the other team's kit stuff...and voila presto changeo you have your article.

Finally.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah... because it's not like them to take cheap shots at us whenever possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks to me like this article is a PR article. A get of our back you puckhead pigs article.

if you want to write a motivational speech for TFC fans then go ahead... because that article was not as you claim.

One of the surpring things about the gameday experience at BMO Field isn't the sheer number of fans but just how knowledgeable they are about the beautiful game. Whether natives of Europe and South America or just passionate followers of the sport, Toronto FC's fan base can appreciate the subtle nuances of football, applauding a defensive header just as loudly as a shot on target.
    Such an appreciate audience makes it that much easier, however, to spot the ticket-holders who are obvious members of that new breed of football fans, those who couldn't have cared less about the sport until it popped up in their own backyard. Eager to jump on the bandwagon, these "fans" try hard to appreciate the game, and their hard-earned dollars are certainly appreciated at the club coffers, but their superficial enjoyment of a day out on a Saturday can never match the sheer joy of fans who have been waiting years – or in some cases decades – for a professional team to thrive in Toronto.
    that is not about motivation dude... that is about saying "I am better than you because I have been standing in line for this longer than you have"

Give me a fucking break. You can't defend an article by reinventing what it says...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally.
    No offence - it's a good sentiment but it's poorly expressed. As I mentioned earlier, it implies that all new supporters are "bandwagon jumpers".

However, we couldn't have such exciting threads if it were too simple, now could we?

Barbarez

yeah... because it's not like them to take cheap shots at us whenever possible.
    Seems like you guys are the insecure ones who are full of yourselves and think that every other supporter group jerks off to the RPB before they go to bed every night....No man, it doesn't work like that. I could care less about you or the RPB...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like you guys are the insecure ones who are full of yourselves and think that every other supporter group jerks off to the RPB before they go to bed every night....No man, it doesn't work like that. I could care less about you or the RPB...
    That's not what I said. Lots of people take cheap shots at us, and we rarely take them back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    No offence - it's a good sentiment but it's poorly expressed. As I mentioned earlier, it implies that all new supporters are "bandwagon jumpers".

However, we couldn't have such exciting threads if it were too simple, now could we?

no it doesn't - it simply says that someone can't understand the joy of getting a team after waiting decades as oppose to days. you could say the same for a blowjob...it's common sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new fan with an open mind, willing to learn, help support the team and create atmosphere = good.

A new fan with a closed mind, only willing to sit and watch all while making it harder for others to support and create atmosphere = bad.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexintoronto View Post
    A new fan with an open mind, willing to learn, help support the team and create atmosphere = good.

A new fan with a closed mind, only willing to sit and watch all while making it harder for others to support and create atmosphere = bad.
    Makes sense to me. But that kind of logic escapes some.