Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Expansion draft, who should we protect?

In November, Philly will be getting the chance to poach players in the expansion draft. Who should we protect?

Here was 2008's rules, I expect 2009 to be similar:

2008 MLS Expansion Draft Rules

Senior Roster
    • Teams may protect 11 players between their Senior and their Developmental Roster.
    • If the Player's contract expires at the end of 2008, he will still be considered part of the team's Senior Roster.
    • If a team protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player's option. The team may renegotiate a new budget number for the player as in previous years.
    • If a player retires, he will not be a part of the Senior Roster, but his team will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.
    Developmental Roster
    • Players on a team's Developmental Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season, will be part of the expansion draft.
    • Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season are automatically protected (teams do not have to protect them).
    • If Seattle Sounders FC select a Developmental Player they must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must be on Seattle's Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.
    International Players
    • Teams are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available per the table set forth below.
    • For purposes of this expansion process, for U.S.-based teams, any non-domestic U.S. player would count as an International and for Toronto FC, any non-domestic U.S. player or non-domestic Canadian player would count as an International.
    Designated Players
    • Designated Players do not have to be protected unless the player has a no trade clause in which case he must be protected.
    Maximum Player Loss
    • Once a player has been claimed from a team's non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players.
    Right to Renegotiate
    • Seattle will have the right to renegotiate a drafted player's salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous Team a right of first refusal.
    Priority
    • On the first day of the Discovery/Allocation Period, Seattle will have priority over players who played professionally in the USL First or Second Division in 2008, subject to another MLS team's right of first refusal.
    Rounds
    • The expansion draft will be 10 rounds.
    INTERNATIONAL PLAYER PROTECTION REQUIREMENT TABLE:

Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3, provided that if a team has 3 or less international players it may make available not more than 1.
    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does JDG have a no trade clause, if so we have to protect him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Expansion Draft - November 25th

Who should we leave unprotected?

Garcia
    Robbo
    Barrett

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Vitti - not worth the $$$
    Guevera - too old to build around

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    My guess is he won't, because Mo is a canny fella and will have had an eye on the expansion draft when drafting the contract. Plus who are we gonna trade him to? There'd be a riot and no-one would want him on a DP level, international etc. Just my hunch though.

As for who to protect:

Wynne
    Nana
    Serioux
    Brennan
    Fellinga
    Gomez
    Cronin
    Sanyang
    De Rosario
    Vitti
    White

Leave unprotected:

Edwards (pure back up for us right now but must be tempting for Philly, so leave him out as bait)
    Garcia (pricey and not really needed now with Gomez doing so well, also bait for Philly)
    Robbo (same basis as Dichio last season, plus Cronin, JDG and Serioux can play DCM and Robbo's not had the best season this year)
    Guevara (risky, but rumours of him leaving anyway in the close season and we're too CM heavy, although he is key for us right now)
    Gala (unlikely to be nicked, won't be missed much anyway other than as a domestic name of which we now have many)
    Barrett (risky, but he gets paid a lot and delivers too few goals, plus he'd be pricey for Philly)
    Gerba (risky again, but he's international for Philly and pricey, plus he's not been on fire since we signed him so would Philly want him?)

GA players - Frei and Fuad, so they are safe (unless Frei gets graduated, in which case he HAS to be protected)

Man - it's getting hard, we have too good of a squad now for all this expansion crap! I have generally favoured youth over experience to be protected.

Hopefully Mo will have some canny insights into all this again (remember Smith going to Seattle?!) or at least will have made a deal to trade draft picks for someone in an instant trade-back. Play them like a fiddle Mo!
    Last edited by Hitcho; 09-18-2009 at 08:19 AM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barrett and Garcia for sure. Robbo? Hmmmm.....
    I can see Wynne being put up. Jabs makes a good point about Guevera.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tell you what is going to be a real headache - the Vancouver expansion draft, because they'll want all our Canadian players but will equally take US players to trade to other MLS teams. That's going to be a nightmare when it comes around.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vitti is on loan, not sure he can be claimed by another team...
    also vitti is getting a renegotiated contract

what about who are the 11 players you would protect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    I tell you what is going to be a real headache - the Vancouver expansion draft, because they'll want all our Canadian players but will equally take US players to trade to other MLS teams. That's going to be a nightmare when it comes around.
    thats when we gotta pick up the likes of Jankovic, Hainault, and Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who I'd want protected: Cronin, Attakora, DeGuzman, Ibrahim, Gerba, Brennan, DeRosario, Serioux, Wynne, White, Edwards, Guevara, Sanyang, Frei, Gomez.

Who ought to be left unprotected: Garcia (too expensive for what he brings), Barrett (if he made 100K rather than 200K I'd keep him), Gala (seems everyone and their dogs are ahead of him on the depth chart - trusting the coaching staff), Robinson (play has dropped off considerably, very expensive and probably wouldn't be taken by Philadelphia anyway).

Who I'm unsure about: Fellinga (haven't seen enough of him though he looks good so far).

Who doesn't figure in the draft: Vitti (who I would leave unprotected anyway).

If I were Mo, I'd construct my final XI list around these ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That and Portland is also coming in at the same time, which means up to 2 players lost. They'll likely be cause for chagrin on that day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can Vitti be selected since he is on loan??

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aw crap! I never even thought of that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    Assume JDG is not applicable .. doubt there is a no trade clause, cause if laliga came calling he would want to go.

Protect:

3Nana Attakora
    2Sam Cronin14Dwayne De Rosario5Lesly Fellinga24Stefan Frei27Gabe Gala10Ali Gerba22Amadou Sanyang17O'Brian White15Adrian Serioux32Emmanuel Gomez

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is he won't, because Mo is a canny fella and will have had an eye on the expansion draft when drafting the contract. Plus who are we gonna trade him to? There'd be a riot and no-one would want him on a DP level, international etc. Just my hunch though.

As for who to protect:

Wynne
    Nana
    Serioux
    Brennan
    Fellinga
    Gomez
    Cronin
    Sanyang
    De Rosario
    Vitti
    White

Leave unprotected:

Edwards (pure back up for us right now but must be tempting for Philly, so leave him out as bait)
    Garcia (pricey and not really needed now with Gomez doing so well, also bait for Philly)
    Robbo (same basis as Dichio last season, plus Cronin, JDG and Serioux can play DCM and Robbo's not had the best season this year)
    Guevara (risky, but rumours of him leaving anyway in the close season and we're too CM heavy, although he is key for us right now)
    Gala (unlikely to be nicked, won't be missed much anyway other than as a domestic name of which we now have many)
    Barrett (risky, but he gets paid a lot and delivers too few goals, plus he'd be pricey for Philly)
    Gerba (risky again, but he's international for Philly and pricey, plus he's not been on fire since we signed him so would Philly want him?)

GA players - Frei and Fuad, so they are safe (unless Frei gets graduated, in which case he HAS to be protected)

Man - it's getting hard, we have too good of a squad now for all this expansion crap! I have generally favoured youth over experience to be protected.

Hopefully Mo will have some canny insights into all this again (remember Smith going to Seattle?!) or at least will have made a deal to trade draft picks for someone in an instant trade-back. Play them like a fiddle Mo!

Protected lists are a gamble aren't they?

I might, MIGHT be willing to leave DeRo unprotected only because of the reduced chances that Philly would want to pick up his almost DP salary. Although Salt Lake tried that strategy and Mo burned them in our expansion draft. I believe that's how we picked up Cunningham on the cheap.

What we have a surplus of is midfielders so I might leave Vitti unprotected as well because even though I do like him, losing him wouldn't be a huge loss. Looks like you did that with Guevara instead. Guevara is relatively cheap for the amount of good production he brings so I might switch the two instead.

Garcia isn't a long term player for us so leaving him exposed is probably an automatic.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 09-18-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for who to protect:

Wynne
    Nana
    Serioux
    Gomez
    Cronin
    Sanyang
    De Rosario
    Vitti
    White
    Guevara (on the condition that he's staying next season)
    Gerba

Leave unprotected:

Brennan
    Edwards
    Garcia
    Robbo
    Gala
    Barrett
    Fellinga

Hope they would take Barrett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were Mo, I'd try to circumvent any selection headaches by offering some draft picks to Philadelphia in a gentleman's agreement to select only certain unprotected TFC players.

To clarify, most of us who will try and put a 11-player list together for the sake of discussion will have to leave some players you want to keep, unprotected. Here, TFC would be offering something to Philadelphia not to take those players we left unprotected but that we actually want to keep but just ran out of space in the 11-player list.

Make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Who I'd want protected: Cronin, Attakora, DeGuzman, Ibrahim, Gerba, Brennan, DeRosario, Serioux, Wynne, White, Edwards, Guevara, Sanyang, Frei, Gomez.

Who ought to be left unprotected: Garcia (too expensive for what he brings), Barrett (if he made 100K rather than 200K I'd keep him), Gala (seems everyone and their dogs are ahead of him on the depth chart - trusting the coaching staff), Robinson (play has dropped off considerably, very expensive and probably wouldn't be taken by Philadelphia anyway).

Who I'm unsure about: Fellinga (haven't seen enough of him though he looks good so far).

Agreed 100%...I hate to leave Robbo unprotected as I think he can be our defensive anchor next season with JDG playing more of an attacking role but his salary should discourage his selection anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exempt:

De Guzman (DP)
    Frei (GA)
    Ibbe (GA)

Protected:
    1.Gomez
    2.Serioux
    3.Nana
    4.Cronin
    5.DeRo
    6.Gerba
    7.White
    8.Sanyang
    9.Wynne
    10.Fellinga
    11.Edwards

Unprotected:
    1.Garcia
    2.Brennan (don't think a team will take a flyer on him)
    3.Guevara (back to his homeland?)
    4.Robbo
    5.Barrett
    6.Gala
    7.Vitti

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they left Garcia open and Philly picked him up, I think he'd be pretty happy. His family is in the US and I just get the feeling the man wants to go back. It's closer to home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can we merge the other thread in the news section?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    If they left Garcia open and Philly picked him up, I think he'd be pretty happy. His family is in the US and I just get the feeling the man wants to go back. It's closer to home.
    His contract also expires at the end of this year.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver and Portland have their teams already. Is there an expansion draft for them?
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post

I agree, the only one I am not sure about is Guevarra, not because he is not a good player for us, but because at times he seem to have hit the wall. However, I would still like to have him available even if he no longer starts, so at the end of the day I would likely protect him.

Also I may not protect Brennan, I do not think he has been horrible, but we need an upgrade at the back, and his best days seem to be over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for who to protect:

Wynne
    Nana
    Serioux
    Brennan
    Fellinga
    Gomez
    Cronin
    Sanyang
    De Rosario
    Vitti
    White

Leave unprotected:

Protect Brennan? And Vitti? I don't know if I'd do that. I mean, Brennan has been rather poor this season to be honest, and as a Canadian, I doubt he will be selected by Philly (and if they did, oh well, he would probably retire). Vitti should only be selected if we can get him for a MUCH lower salary than he is making now. He is either a terrible striker, or a midfielder in an overcrowded midfield. Leave him off the list.

Instead I would protect Guevara if he wants to stay (MLS is taking time off for world cup anyway, and right now our attack relies on him) and either Barrett or Gerba (philly might take Gerba because we want him, and depending on how much Barrett makes next year, I like him as a winger/super-sub).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please merge this with the other thread as this is not news!!!!!

can someone please make me a mod of the news section!!!
    i will keep it clean!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protected:
    Ibrahim* (Gen Adidas)
    deGuz
    deRo
    Attakora
    Frei (Gen Adidas.. but probably not next year)
    Gerba
    OBW
    Sanyang
    Wynne
    Cronin
    Vitti
    Fellinga or Gomez

UnProtected:
    Brennan
    Serioux
    Guevara
    Gomez
    Barrett
    Fellinga
    Robinson
    Gala
    Edwards
    Garcia

I don't see the point in protecting Guevara. IF he comes back next year, it's probably his last in this league anyways. Regardless we have JDG to do his job now.

Robinson is too expensive to protect.

Brennan, why would they want an aging Int'l defender unless it's to trade back to us for someone else.

Serioux, again aging Int'l defender.

I liked what I saw in the short shift from Fellinga. It's nice to have a natural winger and I'd rather NOT lose our only real winger aside from Brennan.

I'd like to keep Gomez... as a promising young Int'l defender, I think he might actually get picked if we left him open.

I'd consider leaving Gerba open as he hasn't shown much to impress scouts around the league so far, but it's a risk as we know he can play given the right tactics. Given he's an Int'l for Philly, they might pass anyway.

I think if we leave Vitti unprotected he might go... I like what he brings to the team and am actually quite eager to see how he plays alongside JDG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    As for who to protect:

Wynne
    Nana
    Serioux
    Gomez
    Cronin
    Sanyang
    De Rosario
    Vitti
    White
    Guevara (on the condition that he's staying next season)
    Gerba

Leave unprotected:

Brennan
    Edwards
    Garcia
    Robbo
    Gala
    Barrett
    Fellinga

Hope they would take Barrett
    I agree with your list 100%

I don't get why some people have Brennan on their protected list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Why protect Brennan?
    2. Vancouver can only take 1 player from us, just like any other expansion team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with above. Nuvinho, JDG is not auto protected. Frei probably won't be Gen Adidas next year.