Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pre match: 19 Sept 09 Toronto FC at LA Galaxy

Huge win by TFC over Colorado to keep playoff hopes alive. Let's see if the boys can take the momentum to LA, where TFC did win (on a tremendous fashion with Jeff Cunningham of all people scoring the winning goal in 85th min in a 3-2 thriller) last year

LA Galaxy will look to get back on track after getting torched by Dallas for 6 goals last game.

Looking forward to seeing JDG in action!
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two very different squads from the game last year. Hopefully the lads can play well on the road for once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the momentum from the weekend and the additional motivation of JDG, I see a 2 - 1 win for TFC. Goals by DeRo and Gerba.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could see a 2-2 or 3-3 draw here depending on the defence of both clubs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait to see the influence JDG has on our play.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same as everyone else, can't wait to see how JDG fits in.

Defence steps up for once, Frei is on his game. 2-0 TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Can't wait to see the influence JDG has on our play.

- Scott
    This is the big thing for me as well. While we've for the most part kept our optimism in check (i.e. let's not assume we'll win the cup or that JDG is supposed to score two goals every match), I think it'll be interesting to note if the team keeps its shape better, can string together many quality passes on a consistent basis, can effectively move the ball from the back to the front without resorting to launching up the field, etc.

Speaking for myself, this is what I'm hoping for with JDG's signing. I hope he'll make the team more coherent and play together better, which in turn would make the team better without having to add new and more talented players. I don't know if I explained that last bit well, but essentially, I see JDG as helping the other players on the team make the most out of their talent level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S. It's DeGuzman vs. Beckham! *insert profile images of their heads clashing at the centre of your screen with lighting sparks everywhere*

Just joking, I'm not buying into any overhype. I'm still really looking forward to the match though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    This is the big thing for me as well. While we've for the most part kept our optimism in check (i.e. let's not assume we'll win the cup or that JDG is supposed to score two goals every match), I think it'll be interesting to note if the team keeps its shape better, can string together many quality passes on a consistent basis, can effectively move the ball from the back to the front without resorting to launching up the field, etc.
    This will be interesting to watch. However, it make take time before we see this. He hasn't played much since January, and he also needs to adapt to a new team.

Speaking for myself, this is what I'm hoping for with JDG's signing. I hope he'll make the team more coherent and play together better, which in turn would make the team better without having to add new and more talented players. I don't know if I explained that last bit well, but essentially, I see JDG as helping the other players on the team make the most out of their talent level.
    Agree 100%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My concern is this ongoing discussion of using him box-to-box, which assumes whomever he's playing beside is going to track back and cover the middle as well as he does when the other team is in the final two-thirds.

Amado? Not likely. We need him offensively, but defensively he's suspect. If we play DeRo centrally I'm sure he can do OK at it, but it's also not his strength.

We'd be better off playing the traditional tandem of one forward, one back. Although maybe our lack of width dictates a different approach.

maybe
    --------------------Frei--------------------
    --Wynne--Attakora--Gomez--Brennan------
    -----Cronin-----------JDG--------------
    ------- ----Amado-----------Dero------
    ---------------Gerba---White----------------

Lots of flex there as Cronin and Dero can both work outside, but Cronin and JDG are essentially operating in the first two thirds and are the set p men/connection with the forwards, plus AMado can do what he does best upfront.

God help us if Chad or Pablo start this game, given the performances we've seen from the young guys lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think White starts on the bench and Vitti or Barrett gets the start on the wing. pick your poison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see this:

--------------------Frei-------------------
    --Wynne--Attakora--Gomez--Brennan------
    -----Cronin-----Robbo------JDG-----------
    ---------------Amado---------------------
    ----------------------DeRo---------------
    -------------Gerba------------------------

I think we'll see this:

--Wynne--Attakora--Garcia--Brennan------
    -------------JDG------Guevara------------
    -------------------DeRo------------------
    Vitti--------------------------------Barrett
    ----------------Gerba---------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    I think White starts on the bench and Vitti or Barrett gets the start on the wing. pick your poison.
    Almost sure he will. I believe that's what Chris Cummins said he wants to do with him given he's coming back from a major injury. He'll be a 60-65th minute guy who comes in if we need to liven things up at the front or add a guy to look for an equalizer or the go-ahead goal.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, like everyone else, am pumped to see what JDG brings to the pitch. While I'm sure he'll do well, I'm hoping the rest of the team also decides to show up like they did against Colorado last week. These are all make-or-break games now and they have to step up.

Like Cummins said in the huddle before kickoff last week: "Three points. Minimum. I demand it and you should fuckin' demand it too!"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barrett to start, White to come in around 65 min mark if Barrett is not producing.

hell, it worked last game. lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so long as Cummins puts out a strong offensive squad we should be ok.. this is not time to play it safe upfront.. stick JDG on Becks like glue, and let Gerba, Berrett and DeRo go at them, then toss in OBWon for good measure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--Wynne--Attakora--Garcia--Brennan--
    -------------JDG------Guevara-----------
    Barrett----------------------------Cronin
    ------------------------DeRo--------------
    ----------------Gerba---------------------

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this. DeRo needs to be off the wings so he can run at the LA CBs and I think Cronin could do pretty well marking Beckham. I'm interested to see what Cummins puts onto the field Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    so long as Cummins puts out a strong offensive squad we should be ok.. this is not time to play it safe upfront.. stick JDG on Becks like glue, and let Gerba, Berrett and DeRo go at them, then toss in OBWon for good measure
    Yeah although wasting JDG's potential but he can surely shut down posh spice in his first start for TFC to get to know the team better. Sanyang should be back and he can slap landycake silly. I prefer Serioux to tell landycake who's his daddy but Sangyang will do.

In the mean time rest of the team can tore LA's denfense a new one
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Reds have to just let their offensive weapons go all out, trying to be safe at this point is just not the way to go. Let JDG play where he can be at his best, Gerba is bound to knock one in from up close the way he has been crashing around the box, he is not Danny but he does have the knack.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both L.A and T.O have pretty even teams .. what will be the decisive factor will be is when to make the changes and whom to put on..
    Im alittle weary about garcias defensive positioning and capabilities which are limited to his size and speed..
    I won't go as far as to predict a win or loss or a tie and just say that based on cummins decision making in this game could make this game a huge win or a total fail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

........................Frei.....................
    Wynne.....Nana.......Gomes........Brennan
    Deguzman
    Cronin..............Guevara...........Barrett
    ..................Dero....Gerba................... .

This is bang for your buck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

victory to TFC... history tells us that every time TFC signs a new european-esque player we tend to win (robert, geuvara, dero, even with gerba we won the second game he played). right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need A Win!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post

We can expect attractive footy!Substitute Robbo's passing for JDGs.... I'm expecting consistently good performances from TFC now. Don't let me down and mess me around boys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    Yeah although wasting JDG's potential but he can surely shut down posh spice in his first start for TFC to get to know the team better. Sanyang should be back and he can slap landycake silly. I prefer Serioux to tell landycake who's his daddy but Sangyang will do.

In the mean time rest of the team can tore LA's denfense a new one

The only issue with that is, that JDG isn't match fit.
    So asking him to play box to box, means play him as a sub, or sub him out at the 60 minute mark.. which may happen anyway.

Playing him in a holding mid would be a natural position for him, which he will react to on instinct much better. Why ask him to think about his fitness and his position.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    The only issue with that is, that JDG isn't match fit.
    So asking him to play box to box, means play him as a sub, or sub him out at the 60 minute mark.. which may happen anyway.

Playing him in a holding mid would be a natural position for him, which he will react to on instinct much better. Why ask him to think about his fitness and his position.
    Great point Kaz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This what I am hoping for and could happen... I think that Cummins will have De Guzman in a more forward position and then sub him off for Pablo or Chad in the 65-70 min.

---------Frei (is this line really necessary anymore?)----------
    ----Nana ------ Garcia----- Gomez ------- Brennan ---------
    --Wynne ------------------------------------Cronin-------
    ---------De Guzman -------DeRo------------- Guevarra----------
    ----------------------- Gerba ---------------------------------

I see the attacking midfielders rushing constantly to support Gerba with Wynne and Cronin hanging back to feed balls into the offensive mesh...

...and then I wake up and Chad and Pablo are starting anyway...
    Last edited by Yagbod; 09-17-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough match, I'll be happy with not losing. Can't wait to see how JDG fits in.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA's Shut Down List:
    - Beckham
    - Landycakes
    - Buddle (believe it or not, that guy is dangerous)
    - Kovalenko
    - Eskandarian
    - Berhalter (weakest link of this chain)

Shut them all down, you shut down LA.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For this match, with Robbo injured, I would slot JDG in a holding midfield role, especially since it's his first match. If he just feeds Guevara and DeRo, we should have a potent offense.

I'll be very interested to see what Cummins does. It will show whether he knows how to make the best use of his players. I do expect, after seeing what Dallas did, that he will focus on the attack. You certainly want to keep the ball in LA's half of the pitch.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto