Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. So we're throwing in the towel with a little under two-thirds of the season left to play? Shitty.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe you should change your name to surrender monkey Torontofc 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew I shouldn't have opened this dumb thread...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, really, what can we expect. the 'we suck and we aren't going anywhere' speech after a loss is such a common thing for a typical Toronto sports fan.

of course, win the next game, and its Toronto is the fucking world killer.

Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    as proven tonight we are NOT a playoff contending team, we should work on building a league competitive team, and leave the playoff worries to next season. There is no point making the playoffs if your are going to get slaughtered away from home, which happened tonight in Houston. We a year 2 club and played like it. the defence was not there tonight, and Cunny and Laurent were the only signs of life upfront, so back to square one...learn to play football 101. Carver should hold extra drills till the team gets the point...show up!!
    There's no point making the play-offs because we'd probably lose? yeah nice one that's the spirit. I'll put this down to post-game angst but come on give your head a shake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as proven tonight we are NOT a playoff contending team, we should work on building a league competitive team, and leave the playoff worries to next season. There is no point making the playoffs if your are going to get slaughtered away from home, which happened tonight in Houston. We a year 2 club and played like it. the defence was not there tonight, and Cunny and Laurent were the only signs of life upfront, so back to square one...learn to play football 101. Carver should hold extra drills till the team gets the point...show up!!
    You obviously are a 9 year old boy. How do you work on building a league competitive team without wanting to make it into the playoffs? IF WE DON'T COMPETE IN THE LEAGUE WE DON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

This thread should be deleted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the team is tied for 4th in the league... while the road games have been shit, they are tied for 4th in the league..... (may I remind you that 8 teams make the playoffs?) no need to get too worried.

Plus, the first round of the playoffs is a two game series, home and away. so we get one game at the fortress.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We should probably just fold the team now. After a game like that, what's the point of even playing ever again!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so everyone made all the point i wanted to say so all i have to say is im mad its monday and i cant wait until the home game on Sat. Hope it rains this week!! ( so the weekends sunny)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pat416 View Post
    Ok so everyone made all the point i wanted to say so all i have to say is im mad its monday and i cant wait until the home game on Sat. Hope it rains this week!! ( so the weekends sunny)
    But we play well in the rain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My real concern from last night is how we seemed to die in the heat. July and August at BMO will match what the heat was like in Houston. While it seems like we have a better conditioned team this year being able to play in heat is a must.

Sutton and Cunningham say the heat did not cause the problems last night, but from my comfy sofa we sure looked like wilted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was hot in practice the past few days... and Paul Winsper is considered the god of conditioning, so I'm not sure whether it matters.
    And the opposition will have to play in the heat at BMO too, so it's all fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    it was hot in practice the past few days... and Paul Winsper is considered the god of conditioning, so I'm not sure whether it matters.
    And the opposition will have to play in the heat at BMO too, so it's all fair.
    Not a knock on Winsper. I've never been convinced you can condition playing in heat without actually playing in heat. Hopefully the team comes around now that the weather is warming up in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure the game was frustrating, but I'm not throwing the towel in.

I Believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct if I'm wrong, but isn't this a TORONTO FC supporters board?
    And I thought I accidentally clicked a Maple Leafs web site...
    Last edited by SilverSamurai; 06-09-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started to type a long reply, but gave up, so I'll just say this: You're an idiot.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    I started to type a long reply, but gave up, so I'll just say this: You're an idiot.
    Hey, it's just one guy being depressed. Don't be too hard on him, he's probably a Leafs fan.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lighten up.
    Yeah, it sucked to see TFC lose last night, but Houston played well. If you are gonna write TFC off at this stage in the season..what kind of football supporter are ya?
    We haven't even hit the half way point yet this season.
    Remember last year...we spent pretty much the whole season at the bottom of the standings...look at this year....way better!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even last year, we weren't completely out of the playoff picture until that horrible stretch in August. This year, only a collapse would see us out of the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skint View Post
    My real concern from last night is how we seemed to die in the heat. July and August at BMO will match what the heat was like in Houston. While it seems like we have a better conditioned team this year being able to play in heat is a must.

Sutton and Cunningham say the heat did not cause the problems last night, but from my comfy sofa we sure looked like wilted.
    Cunningham explains it perfectly in this interview. I don't know what else you would need in order to understand they simply got out played.

Cunningham attributed his team's apparent fatigue in the second half to Houston's play, not the Texas heat. "They kept the ball and we kept chasing," Cunningham said. "It doesn't matter what kind of weather it is chasing for 90 minutes isn't possible. As a result, they kept the ball and we got fatigued."

It was obvious that we were losing the battle in the midfield, and when the other team has the ball and you are chasing the entire game you're obviuosly going to be the tired one. We seriously missed Guevara's abilty to hold the ball up and move the ball around in the mid.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guevara and Dichio in the lineup, I think this would have been a different game.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    You obviously are a 9 year old boy. How do you work on building a league competitive team without wanting to make it into the playoffs? IF WE DON'T COMPETE IN THE LEAGUE WE DON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

This thread should be deleted.

for the sake of an argument, say we make the playoffs this year, yet miss the two after that, is that progress? im more building the team and taking a bit of time doing it right, then doing a maple leafs and adding guys just for the sake of adding guys and missing out altogether.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    There's no point making the play-offs because we'd probably lose? yeah nice one that's the spirit. I'll put this down to post-game angst but come on give your head a shake
    yeah it was more to vent then anything else,but when playoffs are mentioned it makes me cringe...we are a 2nd year club for christ sakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah it was more to vent then anything else,but when playoffs are mentioned it makes me cringe...we are a 2nd year club for christ sakes.

Ya, we're a second year club, but it's the fucking MLS. It's not like we're completely outclassed by any team in the league.

And why compare TFC to the Leafs? Quit being a waste of space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    well, really, what can we expect. the 'we suck and we aren't going anywhere' speech after a loss is such a common thing for a typical Toronto sports fan.

of course, win the next game, and its Toronto is the fucking world killer.
    QFT...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, a 2nd year club. chicago won it in its 1st year.

faith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's 1 thing to win the MLS Cup, it's another to make a run for the CONCACAF Champions League.
    With so much parity in the league, I think that is the true measuring stick.
    Baby steps though, 1st make playoffs, 2nd make it past qualifiers for Champions League (not in that order though)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're not that great. but we're not that bad, either. The west is weak, I think 5 teams will qualify from the east.

I think we should assume that DCU will rip off a winning streak and likely finish ahead of us. I also assume that New York will improve once they're at full strength.

We have to be ahead of KC and Columbus at season's end.

Is there anyone here who really doesn't believe that we can finish ahead of KC and Columbus?
    Last edited by ensco; 06-09-2008 at 06:51 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree and disagree with your comment.

First of all we were missing Guevera and Edu who would have made a diffference.
    Secondly, we are still in the top4-5 in the league in points.

However, let's be realistic here. This team is a 2nd year team and not as good as some people think. Our home record is great but at the end of the day you ain't going to get far if you can't win on the road. This team has shown no signs of playing consistent football on the road. They hav eone win on the raod and that was a lucky win against LA. It's not so much that they lose on the road but holy fuck they get totally outplayed and embarrsed on the road. I mean 4-0 to Dc, 4-1 to Dc, 3-1 to Houston. Thye even looke dbad in their 1-0 win vs Montreal.

It seems like when to go on the road their game plan changes . Don't attack, sit back and pary for a tie. This isn't their style but each game is like this. I don't get it. It's not like your playing in hostile environments before large crowds. Nothing intimidating playing in mLS road stadiums.

Realistically this team will be battling for the 7th to 9th spot at the end of the season. Thye may just sqeak into the playoffs with some luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the point is to not make any knee jerk reactions that would be short term gain for long term pain, then I agree. (kind of like a typical leafs move)

I dont think however, anything that's about to happen would be that.
    I believe any signings we make will help us now, and help us later.

So.... I think we would be best served to move forward, sign who we wish...
    make the playoffs...

and win the friggin league!