Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White's goal far better than Rolfe's.

Olave's was the best of all, for me.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Football is a game of opinions, that's for sure.

Rolfe's goal required an incredible amount of ball-control skill. that's for sure, which 95%+ of MLS players don't have at his level.

I agree that his goal required more ball-handling skill than OBW's.

However, Rolfe's was an opportunistic goal. OBW's required vision as well as great ball-handling skills. So in my opinion, I'd give it to OBW.

However, one thing that I think all non-Sounders fans would agree that Montero's goal does not deserve to be #1.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tac Sounder View Post
    Let's be fair, the Seattle crowd only reacted to you guys using bots:

From your friends at U-Sector.....
    http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector...pic=11734&st=0

SSK Posted: Sep 14 2009, 11:07 AM

The member formerly known as astObs

Group: Members
    Member No.: 130

Direct links for lazy people:

Dero:
    http://web.mlsnet.com/polls/scoreboa...11&submit=VOTE

ObiWan:
    http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/viewp...25&submit=VOTE

If you have Mac/Unix/Linux, open terminal type curl and one of the URLS inside double quotes, and press 'Return'. Repeat as many times as you like.
    Fixed the second link to actually vote for OBW instead of Montero. Nice try.
    Last edited by neuf; 09-15-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White exhibited ball handling skills on his goal? Shit, I must be watching the wrong highlight then. The goal I’m talking about sees a perfect lob pass over a defenders head while White dummies a lost defender to begin with. But really beyond that he just runs around the twit and flicks a sitter into an open net, no handling skills were displayed on the goal I watched. Take nothing away from kid’s goal, it was nice – but I guess I’m just able to be objective in the whole thing and truly understand the talent that it takes to score Rolfe’s goal which was vision, control of a long ball, protection from two defenders, and a precision finish with the outside foot. All the while the ball never touches the grass.

I'm sure if you asked Rolfe if he could score that goal 5 of 10 times he'd likely say otherwise but White could probably flick balls on a tee the way he did with almost regularity.

Agree to disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White - 54%
    Montero - 45%
    De Ro - 1%
    Cuntingham - 1%
    Harris - 1%
    Olave - 1%
    Rolfe - 1%

dunno if I've ever seen that before.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bot wars lol

and OBW deserves to win, His goal demonstrate positioning, vision and athletic ability. It was a shot that we see now and again.. usually going over the back of the net, it was a deserved goal.. if OBW was a regular player who wasn't just coming off a major injury, then it would be a closer contest, but the kid deserves the accolades.

the Bots kicking in though is funny. Here I thought my 35,000 manual votes today would make a major difference.. silly bots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    Fixed the second link to actually vote for OBW instead of Montero. Nice try.
    clicked the link and it said I voted for Montero ... WTF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bad, it is fixed for real now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Two, this isn't U-Sector, it's RPB, so suggesting "you" when you say cheat the system is somewhat misplaced.
    Yeah, I don't get why he signed up here to bitch about us. It would have been so much more fun if he had posted his BS at our site.

This is too funny, though. We literally only have one guy running a bot to counter Seattle's idiocy and White is winning the vote.
    Last edited by Rudi; 09-15-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another summer of hope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He deserves it, for me it was the best goal. Dero deserves to share this award along with OB White, it was his ridicolous flick that made this goal as good as it was.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    White exhibited ball handling skills on his goal? Shit, I must be watching the wrong highlight then. The goal I’m talking about sees a perfect lob pass over a defenders head while White dummies a lost defender to begin with. But really beyond that he just runs around the twit and flicks a sitter into an open net, no handling skills were displayed on the goal I watched. Take nothing away from kid’s goal, it was nice – but I guess I’m just able to be objective in the whole thing and truly understand the talent that it takes to score Rolfe’s goal which was vision, control of a long ball, protection from two defenders, and a precision finish with the outside foot. All the while the ball never touches the grass.

I'm sure if you asked Rolfe if he could score that goal 5 of 10 times he'd likely say otherwise but White could probably flick balls on a tee the way he did with almost regularity.

Agree to disagree.
    'flicks a sitter into an open net'? Huh? You ever tried to chip a ball first touch into the opposite corner of the goal with a goalkeeper charging out at you? It's not easy.

Rolfe's was a good goal, although it looked to me like he brought the ball down with his arm, but it's incorrect to say White's goal required no skill. Calling his goal a 'volley' is also stretching the truth, that sort of shot is seen often. Pippo Inzaghi scored two yesterday.
    Last edited by I_AM_CANADIAN; 09-16-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle fans are so cute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post
    'flicks a sitter into an open net'? Huh? You ever tried to chip a ball first touch into the opposite corner of the goal with a goalkeeper charging out at you? It's not easy.

Rolfe's was a good goal, although it looked to me like he brought the ball down with his arm, but it's incorrect to say White's goal required no skill. Calling his goal a 'volley' is also stretching the truth, that sort of shot is seen often. Pippo Inzaghi scored two yesterday.
    A half volley (on the drop) of a ball with tons of spin on it is way harder than volleying a ball you take off your own chest. Picking the corner like that over a 6'5" goalkeeper isn't easy, either. OBW hands down.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and we win.

Thanks for coming out Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lesly Fellinga looks like Rohan Ricketts when he goes to congratulate OBW in that video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The kids are just like us, way back when. Remember when we used to do that?
    No, that's why they call you Oldtimer.

Actually ya, and we've done it a number of times this year still.

Goal of the Week doesn't just mean the shot that goes in, build up is just as important so I don't think DeRo will be crying over it, what a flick-on.