View Poll Results: What was the most important story this week?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Danny retires

57 31.84%
  • JDG signs

74 41.34%
  • Developments on grass

48 26.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Biggest news this week - DD, JDG, or Grass??

So this has been one of the biggest news weeks for TFC, so my question is.......What was the most important story of the week??

Danny retires?
    JDG finally signs?
    Developments about grass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i clicked hoping for a poll..... sigh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG, Grass..........Danny...but you know my love for JDG Sal.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG. DD was going to retire at the end of the season, so 6 games is the only real difference. Grass has been building slowly throughout the summer, and it's still not fully passed yet (just the first level). JDG instantly makes our team better, and I had given up hope on him coming anytime soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Give me a second, had to make it.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    ha ha...this is poll worthy...
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was split between JDG and Grass. JDG is the big thing now, but grass changes everything in the future....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without a doubt its the grass. It effects the whole team, the quality of play and our ability to sign higher quality players in the future.
    I'd take grass over any player in the world.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chose Dichio because while we all knew he was retiring at the end of the season no one saw it coming this week. Where as there have been JDG talks for a long time now. Off and on but still there had been talks of it and it seemed getting more and more likely so it wasnt out of left field. While Dichio being gone now instead of season end seemed to be. So thats biggest news to me, but all are pretty big.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote "All of the above"
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted JDG signs, then I realized that if Dichio hadn't retired, we wouldn't have had the cap room.
    So in reality it's Dichio's retirement. Hate to see the guy go, but he has potentially helped this team more than he could on the pitch himself.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Who is Danny Dichio?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest news story:

With $5.5 million on grass + Lamport, etc improvements (only $2.8 million from the Edu money, $500k went to cap space, $1.7 million went to MLS), and millions more for JDG, I defy anyone to say that MLSE is cheap (not always wise with their money, but NOT cheap).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking today was lacking a poll.

Voted grass. It puts Huckerby-like bs behind us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not 'one of the biggest' -- THE biggest, bar none (unless you want to include when they actually announced the team's existence).

And today, especially -- our first DP and grass all in the same day -- ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. The two things we've wanted for years, both happening on the same day.

Incredible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The biggest news story:

With $5.5 million on grass + Lamport, etc improvements (only $2.8 million from the Edu money, $500k went to cap space, $1.7 million went to MLS), and millions more for JDG, I defy anyone to say that MLSE is cheap (not always wise with their money, but NOT cheap).
    Was just going to say something like this. This is a day where MLSE deserve some props from us.

They did two things some of the more pessimistic folks among us thought they would never do - shell out the money to get us a good DP, and shell out the money t o get us grass.

So thank you MLSE. You done good. Now get us in the playoffs!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Not 'one of the biggest' -- THE biggest, bar none (unless you want to include when they actually announced the team's existence).

And today, especially -- our first DP and grass all in the same day -- ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. The two things we've wanted for years, both happening on the same day.

Incredible.
    About the grass, today it passed the Ex Council but it still has to go to city council, right? That's what I read in another thread. Just asking because a lot of people are writing as if it's now 100% that we're getting it for next year. I mean, today's vote is of course hugely important, but it's not a slam-dunk is it?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But if David Miller supports it, his cronies at city council will too.

Which in the case, I don't mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    About the grass, today it passed the Ex Council but it still has to go to city council, right? That's what I read in another thread. Just asking because a lot of people are writing as if it's now 100% that we're getting it for next year. I mean, today's vote is of course hugely important, but it's not a slam-dunk is it?
    Getting it this far, as far as I understand it, was the major hurdle. And with Joey Pants voting for the proposal already, I don't see how this doesn't pass a council vote now.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I see, I see. Thanks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are very close!

The next big dates on the grass issue are Sept 30 (City council), Oct 1st (Toronto School District, Provincial and Federal approvals).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post
    We are very close!

The next big dates on the grass issue are Sept 30 (City council), Oct 1st (Toronto School District, Provincial and Federal approvals).
    My god, it's like trying to launch a nuclear missile strike except that you need 50 people to turn their key all at once instead of two.

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The biggest news story:

Uhm.

You do realize that as managers of BMO field MLSE draws revenue from the site right?

So in essence the one time costs associated with this deal are for "capital upgrades".

They're spending money to make MORE money long term. They even say so in LOI.

I'm happy for grass, but lets not overstate how it went down or create apicture that this is some sort of charitable and frivolous act on MLSE's part.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Danny for sure.
    We NEVER got to say goodbye!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunnar View Post
    Uhm.

You do realize that as managers of BMO field MLSE draws revenue from the site right?

So in essence the one time costs associated with this deal are for "capital upgrades".

I'm happy for grass, but lets not overstate how it went down or create apicture that this is some sort of charitable and frivolous act on MLSE's part.

Why would MLSE be doing things for charity?!?! Do you work for charity... I mean do you work at all...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhm.

Soo for mlse to not be cheap they have to be stupid? Who gives away money? If your giving I shall take!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Uhm.

I don't see anywhere in his post where he states that this is a charitable or frivolous act.

It's a good thing for our team and it's nice to see that the supposedly "cheap" owners are spending money on something that is not absolutely necessary for the team (arguable of course, but it's not essential to continued operation). Of course they see it as a long term investment, but that is not a bad thing for us. No one is naive enough to think they did this out of the goodness of their hearts, but I do think they realized, with the pressure of their customers, that this is the best way to move forward with their product.

I'm all over them when they do something I don't like, but I'll also give them some credit when they do something I think is right.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG.........The other 2 choices were going to happen sooner then later.....JDG signing......never thought he would of signed with tfc at this stage of his career! .....F'in Incredible!!

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I don't see anywhere in his post where he states that this is a charitable or frivolous act.

It's a good thing for our team and it's nice to see that the supposedly "cheap" owners are spending money on something that is not absolutely necessary for the team (arguable of course, but it's not essential to continued operation). Of course they see it as a long term investment, but that is not a bad thing for us. No one is naive enough to think they did this out of the goodness of their hearts, but I do think they realized, with the pressure of their customers, that this is the best way to move forward with their product.

I'm all over them when they do something I don't like, but I'll also give them some credit when they do something I think is right.
    He said that the costs associated with bringing grass to BMO (including the lakeshore and lamport expenditures) proved MLSE was not cheap. He used "moderating" terms like Defy etc.

I'm not saying MLSE is cheap. I'm just saying the grass stuff doesn't prove they are NOT cheap. There are costs to doing business. Paying those costs does not make one not cheap.

In fact if one wanted to argue, and I don't, I think that it would be a more easily defended position that had MLSE not been cheap we would have had grass sooner. Like I said though i don't want to argue. All I wanted to do is to clarify to Mr Oldtime guy sir, that his logic was off.

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Why would MLSE be doing things for charity?!?! Do you work for charity... I mean do you work at all...
    As I explained to Jack
    I don't want to argue.
    I just wanted to make the point to Mr Oldtime moderator guy that his logic was way off base. So in a nice way he'd get the point that he shouldn't be throwing down the guantlet when he's got his facts mixed up.
    Spending money to make money does NOT make one cheap? Come on.
    So if I re-do my kitchen so my house has a higher re-sale value...that magically makes me a big spender?