Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vancouver's Retractable Roof likely to be CANCELLED

Bad news for the Whitecaps plans for MLS and this extinguishes hopes the BC Government would build a Retractable Roof:

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Sports/200...16211-sun.html

No taxes for roof

Private money could rescue the planned retractable roof for B.C. Place Stadium, said the minister responsible.

"We won't be paying the extra out of taxpayers' funds," Kevin Krueger told 24 hours yesterday. "People are working together to find a way with a private sector partnership, potentially including the bidders, perhaps including the unions."

The $365 million project is under review by treasury board because of rising cost estimates. Completion is planned for 2011.

"We don't have to do it, if government had to we could just replace the existing roof," Krueger said. "A lot of people want a retractable roof and they're willing to partner to get it. I believe we'll have partners and we'll get it done."

Krueger denied technical issues have driven up costs for the pioneering project.

"No one has expressed any concerns at all about the engineering or ability to construct it," he said.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still can't believe they haven't OK'd the building of a new soccer stadium.

It's seems to be a no-brainer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I still can't believe they haven't OK'd the building of a new soccer stadium.

It's seems to be a no-brainer...
    The $365 million revamp? is that what they are planning?

look at that nice stadium they are building in new york half the cost!

you would think its a no brainer!
    Last edited by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB; 09-10-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ well, from what I understand, the cost for a new Whitecaps stadium was gonna be paid by the owner.

And the property is owned by the same dude I think?

It was just politics standing in the way from what I remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    ^ well, from what I understand, the cost for a new Whitecaps stadium was gonna be paid by the owner.

And the property is owned by the same dude I think?

It was just politics standing in the way from what I remember.
    .. Hopefully it will all work out in the end!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shocking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was under the impression that the roof wasn't that big of a deal, atleast from what their owner or whoever it was on Its Called Football had said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make fun of Toronto and that's what you get.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouver MLS View Post
    Bad news for the Whitecaps plans for MLS and this extinguishes hopes the BC Government would build a Retractable Roof:

No taxes for roof

Private money could rescue the planned retractable roof for B.C. Place Stadium, said the minister responsible.

"We won't be paying the extra out of taxpayers' funds," Kevin Krueger told 24 hours yesterday. "People are working together to find a way with a private sector partnership, potentially including the bidders, perhaps including the unions."

The $365 million project is under review by treasury board because of rising cost estimates. Completion is planned for 2011.

"We don't have to do it, if government had to we could just replace the existing roof," Krueger said. "A lot of people want a retractable roof and they're willing to partner to get it. I believe we'll have partners and we'll get it done."

Krueger denied technical issues have driven up costs for the pioneering project.

"No one has expressed any concerns at all about the engineering or ability to construct it," he said.
    Two things. First, this troll has been posting over at BigSoccer under the name playball2 with this same story. And the Vancouver supporters, from Johnnie Monster, krammerhead, et al, have told him to STFU and GTFO with his bullshit. So nobody here should take this douche seriously with what he posts.

And second, why the fuck haven't you been banned from this forum, Vancouver MLS, or playball2, or spiral, or whatever new name you come up with to try and fool the mods? Your username says you support a Vancouver MLS team, and you've been caught spouting anti-Toronto messages here before. Seriously, take your shit and get out.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any way to report this last post to the Mods and have some action taken?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well they're using HST as an excuse to pay for all the Olympic construction and people out there are getting mighty pissed at that prospect. Nobody wants tax dollars going towards this sort of extravagance at this point in time considering a pro soccer team is wayyy down on the list of public priorities. We really should have seen this coming sooner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no crazy expensive retractable roof? so? it was still going to be turf... so its still going to be turf. and games will ALL be indoors.

hurry up and build your stadium, this seems like a non-issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spiral, what is your deal? honestly? Why do you go around to multiple soccer websites and bash this retractable roof? Not only bash it, but you take figures and reports out of context a claim them as truth (the worst part is that some people now believe them as truth). Did this roof kick your dog or something?

First off, the roof does not cost $360 million, that's the total cost for the entire stadium, including work which has already started.

Secondly, the roof needs to be replaced no matter what. It's old, it's tearing, and it costs a shitload to keep inflated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, i agree.

ban VancouverMLS ASAP.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No taxes for roof

God you in the league earlier then you should be, you didnt have to have A SSS like TFC did, now you lot are bitching cause you wont have a moveable roof..come on.. MLS made a mistake letting in Vancouver without the SSS..that said you can play in BC place till a SSS is ok'd, if ever...heck even the Impact have a SSS and thats not a MLS team!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ can you even call them a team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean the way you were red carded for life from Big Soccer for being a sock puppet (amongst other much less complimentary things)?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    ^^^ can you even call them a team?

No not really just in name only...The Caps need to find new Land away from the water front...F**k the view and get a SSS built and tell the BC prov where they can stick BC place..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ I have a feeling you and Vancouver MLS would get along just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    You mean the way you were red carded for life from Big Soccer for being a sock puppet (amongst other much less complimentary things)?

And now, he's just been red carded at BS as playball2 for his continuing nonsense.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gentleman...I'm here in BC. The roof is going ahead. Yes there is a slight delay, but again like every othe project in life it takes time, money and the right people. It will be done. Why are the whitecaps doing this, its a no brainer....BC place is a quality facility, even after years of operations. So imagine it with real grass, a retractable roof and some other nice upgrades. I am a Whitecaps fan but I will not digress from facts here. We are in envy of what the TFC fans have so don not worry...We are coming and the roof is coming off! I can't wait for the years of rivalry

Good luck today and hammer the shznat out of Colorado

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTACUS View Post
    Gentleman...I'm here in BC. The roof is going ahead. Yes there is a slight delay, but again like every othe project in life it takes time, money and the right people. It will be done. Why are the whitecaps doing this, its a no brainer....BC place is a quality facility, even after years of operations. So imagine it with real grass, a retractable roof and some other nice upgrades. I am a Whitecaps fan but I will not digress from facts here. We are in envy of what the TFC fans have so don not worry...We are coming and the roof is coming off! I can't wait for the years of rivalry

Good luck today and hammer the shznat out of Colorado
    The new BC Place will be getting real grass? Are you sure that is happening? I had never heard of that before.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The new BC Place will be getting real grass? Are you sure that is happening? I had never heard of that before.
    Oooops my bad. I think I may have leaked something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spartacus, if the Roof is really going ahead, why no official announcement from the Government?

The Minister says they don't know what will happen given the finances of the province.

One thing's for sure. No tax money will be used to finance the Retractable. That'll have to come from the private sector or Kerfoot himself, which is the way it should be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the taxpayer thing is a red herring.

if they are concerned about tax payer money going to the roof, they should allow Kerfoot to build his soccer specific stadium, which he promised would cost taxpayers nothing. Then they wouldn't need a retractable roof for the soccer team (CFL? I dunno, talk to them).

It's not like the Caps want to be in BC Place at all, if they had their way.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, whatever happened to Vancouver MLS at BS is not a factor in whether he is allowed to post here. Relevant news of Vancouver MLS aspirations are allowed here so long as it's a reasonable amount and doesn't overtake our main interest, Toronto FC. We are aware of Vancouver MLS's presence here and so long as he follows board rules, he is allowed to be here. If he steps out of line, report the post and it will be taken care of. Easy as that. Whatever beefs you have with him at BS, leave them there.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spartacus, if the Roof is really going ahead, why no official announcement from the Government?

The Minister says they don't know what will happen given the finances of the province.

One thing's for sure. No tax money will be used to finance the Retractable. That'll have to come from the private sector or Kerfoot himself, which is the way it should be
    Private, you will hear soon enough.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could always just hook a big tarp onto the roof at Swangard and tie it off to the big pine trees high up on the other side. Grass pitch - and a sweet one at that - already in place.

And that swell beer garden can remain strategically and profitably placed at the far end of the field from where Evil Bert and his nerdy crew of 40-year-old virgins hang out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTACUS View Post
    Private, you will hear soon enough.
    You always claim to have insider information about everything ranging from JDG to the Vancouver Whitecaps but I have a hard time believing it. This BC Place drama is certainly bringing a lot of weirdness on this board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the plan is to have construction companies pay the upfront cost of this Retractable roof and have them entitled to a percentage of stadium profits, I don't see that as being realistic.

I could believe a P3 (Public Private Partnership) if we were dealing with a bridge. In fact there's already P3 agreements in place for the twinning of the Port Mann Bridge and Golden Ears bridge.

Difference being, with bridges, there's always traffic so there's always a revenue stream.

Not the same with BC Place. It's a white elephant.

Kerfoot only signed a 5 year lease. What happens to the revenue stream once the Caps leave in 2015?

What if the MLS goes bankrupt? What if the CFL goes bankrupt?

Then we have an empty stadium with a costly roof that's of no benefit to anyone.

I could see the justification if we had Major League Baseball and 85 home games a year.

Who in the Private sector would want to plow money into this Roof project?

What's the return on the investment? It might take a construction company 30 years to make all the money back.

As far as the sale of lands around the stadium (the vacant parking lots), I hardly think that will cover the cost of the Retractable roof.

Realistically, how much can Pavillion Corporation get for all that land around BC Place? $ 50 million? $ 75 million? Certainly that land is not worth $ 360 million in total.

My hunch is Pavco is trying to get Kerfoot to sign a longer term lease, say 10 years or 15 years. Then it may make financial sense.

5 years no way in hell.

As far as naming rights, Dupont was going to sign on much like General Motors has a naming rights deal for GM Place.

Dupont was to furnish much of the construction materials for the roof.

The Stadium would be called "Dupont Field at BC Place".

Pavco may have a buyer for the land title around BC Place.

This whole Retractable Roof may hinge on that deal falling through.
    Last edited by Vancouver MLS; 09-17-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's a question.. given Vancouver's climate is nowhere near as harsh as Toronto and their harshest period of winter is rather short in comparison, is there any reason why a grass field cannot be in a healthy condition for the start of the MLS/CFL seasons? Sure you will get alot of rain, but if my memory of BC Place serves, a lot of the crowd would be sheltered. Is it absolutely necessary for there to be a roof on a stadium in Vancouver?

I assume no retractable roof would mean a dome and turf. Would the community use be anywhere close to the use that BMO Field had? It is possible to play on turf for 5 years.. not ideal, but it's better than no MLS isn't it? Our biggest problem is the turf is CRAP. Totally overused and broken down. Grass is always better, but when conditions don't exist to support it, a turf field isn't the end of the world (especially if your still planning to move into your own open air stadium down the road).