View Poll Results: Can JDG lead TFC into the playoffs?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he is the spark the team has been waiting for...

63 37.28%
  • No, there isn't enough time to make up ground on the teams ahead of us...

106 62.72%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default JDG - Can he lead TFC into the playoffs?

The developments of the past few days days have been bittersweet times for TFC supporters to say the least. "The Legend" Danny Dichio has moved on to the coaching ranks to accomodate the most anticipated signing in team history, star midfielder Julian DeGuzman. While this DP signing will undoubtedly benefit TFC for years to come, is this season beyond salvage at this point?

For what it's worth, I predict JDG will have enough of an impact in the few games remaining to sneak TFC into the playoffs by the final weekend of the schedule...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can JDG do it by himself? No.

Can he help DeRo, Gerba, et al. to secure some more points in the last few games? No doubt.

Sadly, we have the skill as it stands to beat any team in the league... we're just not getting it done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The developments of the past few days days have been bittersweet times for TFC supporters to say the least. "The Legend" Danny Dichio has moved on to the coaching ranks to accomodate the most anticipated signing in team history, star midfielder Julian DeGuzman. While this DP signing will undoubtedly benefit TFC for years to come, is this season beyond salvage at this point?

For what it's worth, I predict JDG will have enough of an impact in the few games remaining to sneak TFC into the playoffs by the final weekend of the schedule...
    Can we get him in time for SAT!!!...thats the key!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still not a decent forward on the team...we've got a stacked midfield, NO WINGERS, and strikers who can't hit the braod side of a barn....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe he would improve our chances signficantly, but we'd still miss out. The bad performances under Carver (most notably those two games against bottom-feeder Dallas) at the beginning of the season, will likely prove to be our undoing.

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Still not a decent forward on the team...we've got a stacked midfield, NO WINGERS, and strikers who can't hit the braod side of a barn....
    I agree

Plus when was the last time JDG played in a game? June?
    It's not as if he'll be match fit for a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    Can we get him in time for SAT!!!...thats the key!
    Agreed, there is no time to waste...

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Can JDG do it by himself? No.

Can he help DeRo, Gerba, et al. to secure some more points in the last few games? No doubt.

Sadly, we have the skill as it stands to beat any team in the league... we're just not getting it done.
    This really hits home for me. We have a ton of talent on this team that can easily compete on a more consitant basis but we seem to fail at it.

Hopefully JDG can provide the link that makes it possible for these guys.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unfortunately, nein.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now I voted yes for a change and here is why;
    I can't see this team performing any worse than the last 3+ games.
    And it's amazing what a single, though seemingly small, change can do when you've reached rock bottom as TFC has.
    I expect a new look TFC Saturday.
    Sure DD will be missed but you can't drive on a motorway with an old, bald tire and expect your vehicle to perform at it's best.
    Yeah, yeah go ahead and rip me for that statement.
    I expect it.
    But we are moving forward and that is good.
    The Danny Dichio era is over and he served us very well.
    Thank you Danny.
    But the show goes on and will continue to go on and it can't go on without our unfailing support.
    Expect a solid performance Saturday and the cherry on top?
    3 points.
    You heard it here first douchebags!
    KD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave, what if JDG isn't in the lineup Saturday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if JDG plays saturday then I believe we can make the playoffs. But if his first game with TFC is away from home I'm not sure he'll have enough time to gell and make an impact.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king dave View Post
    Sure DD will be missed but you can't drive on a motorway with an old, bald tire and expect your vehicle to perform at it's best.
    Well, he mainly served as a spare tire. But to your point, he was not a high performance racing tire.

I expect a win Saturday, JDG or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we sign him this week can he play on sat?

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the paperwork from the league office comes through, but is he match fit? Fit enough to have an impact?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think so. He was on trial in Germany, he was looking to sign with a European team. I bet he's in better shape than most of our aging players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we count on Cummins to pull together a plan and tactics to take advantage of JDG .. or will we see Barret upfront missing half a dozen chances .. I think we will have to rely on the familiarity that Gerba, JDG and DeRo have with one another to make this work on such short notice .. the guys should win this one for DD on Saturday, lets hope they can play a strong 90 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Barret start upfron again, I will have no words.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We still won't make the playoffs.

JDG has skill, but one man does not a team make. We've dug ourselves too big of a hole, whether you want to count the losses under Carver or the handballs of Marvell Wynne, or the scoreless run that Cummins took us on in recent weeks.

My prediction? We smoke Colorado on Saturday, play well the following game and maybe even get a win once again. Then, just as it's starting to look like we'll get in, the team will collapse and miss the post-season.

This team just doesn't show up on a consistent basis. I can't remember the person who's credited with this quote, but a fool is a man who keeps repeating the same action and expects a different result.

Cummins keeps sticking the same people up front Vitti-Barrett, namely, because he thinks Chad's a game away from breaking out. It's not happening.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post

JDG has skill, but one man does not a team make. We've dug ourselves too big of a hole, whether you want to count the losses under Carver or the handballs of Marvell Wynne, or the scoreless run that Cummins took us on in recent weeks.

My prediction? We smoke Colorado on Saturday, play well the following game and maybe even get a win once again. Then, just as it's starting to look like we'll get in, the team will collapse and miss the post-season.

This team just doesn't show up on a consistent basis. I can't remember the person who's credited with this quote, but a fool is a man who keeps repeating the same action and expects a different result.

Cummins keeps sticking the same people up front Vitti-Barrett, namely, because he thinks Chad's a game away from breaking out. It's not happening.

Ok I don't disagree with your assessment of what will probably happen the rest of the season. But one thing, why does everyone forget that Vitti does not play up front and DERO is our main striker? Do you guys not watch the same games I do? People keep saying we need a striker who can score goals, WE HAVE DERO PEOPLE!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been very vocal about the fact that I don't think this team will make it. The odds are against us.

But like you...I expect the worst, and hope for the best. If I am proven wrong...I will be the happy to be told I was wrong. Ecstatic in fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have any scoop on JDG contract status? Considering the suspensions and whatnot, isn't it the dumbest move in history of TFC for Danny to retire before knowing that JDG was a go for Sat? Leaving ourselves with one less body is ridiculous...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KShep121 View Post
    Does anyone have any scoop on JDG contract status? Considering the suspensions and whatnot, isn't it the dumbest move in history of TFC for Danny to retire before knowing that JDG was a go for Sat? Leaving ourselves with one less body is ridiculous...

I would assume it was done to help speed up the process with the MLS...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    I would assume it was done to help speed up the process with the MLS...
    yeah I agree. I don't see how we could submit the signing to the league without first clearing the cap space. How is the league to approve a signing when the team hasn't shown they have the cap space right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that was Einstein on insanity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most recent globe article seems to think JDG will be introduced tomorrow:

PAUL ATTFIELD
    TORONTO — From Thursday's Globe and Mail Last updated on Thursday, Sep. 10, 2009 03:33AM EDT

With a typically selfless display, Danny Dichio turned the page on his playing days yesterday the only way he knows how, with the team first and foremost in his mind.
    With Toronto FC set to unveil incoming Canadian international Julian de Guzman tomorrow, and with Dichio's playing time and the team's salary-cap space already severely limited with the playoffs still more hope than certainty, the 34-year-old saw the writing on the wall and decided to accept the club's offer to become a team ambassador and academy coach, with a view to a first-team role next year.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Positivity!
    Bite me.

I was there - Montreal 18/6/09 - 6-1 baby!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I have been very vocal about the fact that I don't think this team will make it. The odds are against us.

But like you...I expect the worst, and hope for the best. If I am proven wrong...I will be the happy to be told I was wrong. Ecstatic in fact.
    Agreed -- I will celebrate truly, madly and deeply if we make the postseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    If Barret start upfron again, I will have no words.
    I call bullshit. If Barrett starts up front again you will have many 4 letter words