View Poll Results: Your opinion on the team's biggest problem, if any?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coaching is the biggest problem

60 48.39%
  • The players are not performing, regardless of the coaching

34 27.42%
  • Front office management is affecting the entire team adversely

27 21.77%
  • The team is on track and is performing as expected, no major problems we will do better next year

3 2.42%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your opinion on the team's problems?

What is Toronto's biggest problem? We all have opinions on the troubles of this team, and some of may think the team has many problems. However, what is the biggest factor in the struggles so far that need to be addressed either this year to make it into the playoffs, or if you believe the playoffs are unattainable at this point for success next year?

Please elaborate on your answers with civil, rational posts. Any "such and such is a douchebag" posts will be deleted and likely infracted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coaching without a doubt. We've never had a proper experienced head coach in place at any point, and it's shown.

I would also say that the players also aren't performing how they should be, but it all comes back to the coaching. A good head coach/manager will get his players to perform, a poor one won't. You can look at loads of teams that have performed poorly, couldn't buy a win and where the players look completely useless. They bring in a good manager and suddenly they look like a completely different team.

The right guy in charge can make a huge amount of difference, and Mo has to get the right man at the end of this season.
    Last edited by SanStarko; 09-07-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree on the coaching side. We seem to have competent pieces that are not performing consistently. Nigel Reed made that same observation. Would most of us agree that this inconsistency is a problem with coaching or players? I think it's coaching. I would dare say Cummins has lost the room.

I am surprised someone has indicated they think the team is on track. That is my "mighty" option in case he decided to contribute. I am going to assume it's him, if that's the case so be it. If it's someone else, I'd be interested in hearing that point of view. Is it someone that is buying into the "5 year plan"?

As a discussion board, I'd like to know where most people find fault with this team because going forward we can see if management responds. I hope we get a good 100 responses at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is option 2 even an option:

"The players are not performing, regardless of the coaching"

???

man... there's only 2 reasons this could have been posted:

1 - inferring other coaches did better. THis option doesn't make sense since Cummin's is the only one whose had this roster

therefore:

2 - You don't feel it's part of the coaches job to make players perform.................
    Ummmmmmm, everything i've ever read/heard/seen about coaching states it as being one of the central elements of a coaches job: to make your players preform

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we'd all agree that, player for player, this is the strongest team the club has put forward its three seasons of existence. We are significantly more talented than the previous two years.

I think, too, that the coaching can only do so much to get the players to communicate with one another on the pitch, for Barrett to actually hit the back of the net, and for the back four to actually mark their man. Was it the fault of Colorado's manager when their penalty struck the bar? Of course not. The players really do need to step up, play focused football for the full ninety minutes, and work collaboratively towards victory.

Having said that...

It is clear the Cummins cannot manage. Where are the tactics to secure that victory? His use - or rather, non-use - of substitutions is frankly bizarre and downright irresponsible. Based on our on the field play, I have to question what the training sessions really involve. Our corner kicks are terrible, our ball control is very poor, our passing is very patchy.

ML$E succeeded on the marketing side of Toronto FC. But the coaching has been consistently poor from day one. Cummins needs to be replaced with an adult who understands the game.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poppamidnight View Post
    how is option 2 even an option:

"The players are not performing, regardless of the coaching"

???

man... there's only 2 reasons this could have been posted:

1 - inferring other coaches did better. THis option doesn't make sense since Cummin's is the only one whose had this roster

therefore:

2 - You don't feel it's part of the coaches job to make players perform.................
    Ummmmmmm, everything i've ever read/heard/seen about coaching states it as being one of the central elements of a coaches job: to make your players preform
    It's meant to indicate that you believe that the coaching is sufficient to get better results but it's the players who are underperforming.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I agree on the coaching side. We seem to have competent pieces that are not performing consistently. Nigel Reed made that same observation. Would most of us agree that this inconsistency is a problem with coaching or players? I think it's coaching. I would dare say Cummins has lost the room.

I am surprised someone has indicated they think the team is on track. That is my "mighty" option in case he decided to contribute. I am going to assume it's him, if that's the case so be it. If it's someone else, I'd be interested in hearing that point of view. Is it someone that is buying into the "5 year plan"?

As a discussion board, I'd like to know where most people find fault with this team because going forward we can see if management responds. I hope we get a good 100 responses at least.
    I also picked coaching.

Player for player, you'd have to agree this team is superior to the one we fielded last season. We lost no major pieces, added some depth, watched a couple of kids emerge as formidable defenders, and added Dwayne De Rosario.

I'm really hesitant to buy the whole "not having the right players" theory. You look at some of the games we lost, or drew, and you see a pretty consistent pattern of poor tactical decisions: sitting on one goal leads, when we should keep pressing; subbing in defenders instead of attackers, when we are behind or tied; neglecting to use our subs and then watching as our tired legs get exploited by the opposition; the legendary "long ball" attacking style; never using a consistent starting XI. The list goes on.

Cummins had his shot, and in my opinion, it's been a pretty epic failure. It's also clear to me that he has lost the room - I agree Roogsy.

We need a coach with some pedigree, either overseas, or in MLS. We need someone who can command the respect of the players, and who actively MANAGES during games. And in games where we are having a poor first half, we need a coach with the balls to actually CHANGE UP OUR TACTICS for the second half. This is another major failing of Cummins.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing wrong with the manager , CC has done wonders for the lack of talented football on the team. Some of the players brought in for this season have failed
    to deliver on a consistant basis. get some better footballers and the team will be fine/.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is responsible for the players on this team?

Who is responsible for the team's chemistry?

Who is responsible for hiring the coaching staff?

Who is ultimately responsible for this team's performance?

Mo and the MLSE front office are responsible for all of the above. The revolving door of players and coaches has got us nowhere in three seasons, regardless of the talent on the pitch which as time moves on only flatters to deceive...just as Mo has...

Time for Mo to go...and I'm guessing at least half of the TFC dressing room agrees.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont believe its the coaching, as we have seen them perform very well occasionally, so he does find a way to pick them up sometimes...but they need an on field leader.

i believe its the players not performing, and it is probably related to there not being a true team leader...brennan is not a leader...

the team needs someone that will constantly push forward pick the team up....de guzman just might be that player/leader that this team requires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think its the players. On paper we have a team that is capable of scoring tons of goals and able to put on a good display with great technique. Instead we're stuck with the long ball shit.

Has to go down to coaching. If he isnt able to find a way to stop the long ball, than theres something wrong. I knew there was something wrong with him as soon as I heard that he was okay with the away game records.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Time for Mo to go...and I'm guessing at least half of the TFC dressing room agrees.

Is that the half you'd want to get rid of, though? Is there really anyone on TFC who is so good they've earned the right to complain about their team is managed and not play as well as they can in protest?

The problem with this "team chemistry" thing is if that's what we have to rely on then w'll never hav a winning team. This is MLS, it's a 'make do with what you can get' kind of league. The top teams just aren't that much more skilled than the rest. Should TFC pass up a highly skilled player who's willing to come to Toronto (cause that's a very, very short list of players) because the chemistry "might" not be right?

There have been so many games this season where we were even at halftime and the next day the game report says, "_____ made adjustments and won the game," and it's never been, "TFC made adjustments and won the game."

I would just like to see that once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is more than one answer to this question IMO.

While it is correct to say that players have underperformed at various stages of the schedule, and that there may in fact be coaching issues, two other things stand out.

1) I wonder whether our style of play is suited to the players we have. With many teams playing a modified South American style, we try to play a European possession game. I'm not disagreeing that this style of play can be and often is effective against the style used by many of or opponents, I wonder if we have the right pieces to be able to make this work.

2) I've often wondered whether there is a team chemistry problem. The inconsistent play and the way some players go about their business on the pitch just seems to me that several players are on a different page, perhaps of the same playbook, perhaps not. If it is just not being able to play the same game plan as indicated by the coaching staff, then that speaks of a more serious problem in terms of a) skill or b) a division within team ranks, a division opposed to the instructions given by the coaches.

I still firmly believe that time management (when players are brought onto the pitch) is a problem, but that alone really isn't the cause of our woes this season.

Coaching is at the root of all of these except a division in the room - few coaches anywhere can overcome that. That usually leads to player changes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what to choose... I picked Coaching is the biggest problem because I think leadership is the biggest problem.

Having Robbo off with an injury clearly magnifies how little everyone talks to each other over there... I mean I saw absolutely no communication between the players... that to me is bad...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unsurprisingly, I chose coaching as well. Ever since day 1, TFC has always been second best in terms of tactics, formation, line-ups, etc. We need a coach able to counter the counter-measures the opponent throws at us, and one who can extract the best from the players we have. And as I've mentioned earlier today in another thread, we need to keep this coach, because we've had 3 now in less than 3 years. We've seen what that kind of turnover can do (referring to RBNY) who haven't won anything since the league began.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    i dont believe its the coaching, as we have seen them perform very well occasionally, so he does find a way to pick them up sometimes...but they need an on field leader.

i believe its the players not performing, and it is probably related to there not being a true team leader...brennan is not a leader...

the team needs someone that will constantly push forward pick the team up....de guzman just might be that player/leader that this team requires.
    +1

I think we need a leader on the pitch...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its "Toronto" man. Jays and Argos are not MLSE and they SUCK TOO.

We need an exorcism and STAT.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Who is responsible for the players on this team?

Who is responsible for the team's chemistry?

Who is responsible for hiring the coaching staff?

Who is ultimately responsible for this team's performance?

Mo and the MLSE front office are responsible for all of the above. The revolving door of players and coaches has got us nowhere in three seasons, regardless of the talent on the pitch which as time moves on only flatters to deceive...just as Mo has...

+1

Options 1 and 3 are for all intents and purposes the same thing. Combined 75%. Too bad MLSE doesn't use this poll in it's market research

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's front office. I would go even a step further and say MLSE and not just the FO of TFC.
    The atmosphere and mentality of MLSe pervades across all its spectrums. As such the various teams reflect that. Substandard performances by individuals and teams are accepted, thereby nullifying any urgency or real desire to improve on the field and in the standings.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I blame Paul Beirne...

I mean really... how can it not be his fault???!!!

At first I thought it was the guy who scans my ticket at Gate 3,

But now I realise, it's all Paul.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the pieces that are here...players, coaches and tactics are here because Mo has made it so.

That's not to say that a new coach wouldn't help but that decision is Mo's and he has failed in the three coaches he's selected...one being himself. Ironically, Cummins has the best record of the three.

The single biggest problem with this Club from Day One has been lack of goals...Mo has supplied us with what?
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need an option 5:

Corporate ownership makes it impossible to compete, as winning requires somewhat irrational financial behaviour, and corporate managers are never capable of it, now matter how much they "care" about winning.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post

i also believe its the players..we could change managers at the end of the season and next year have a worse record then right now..then what?
    Brennan has had his time as capt time to try someone else, Serioux, Wynne, JDG? or someone else coming for a trade. But the players have got to but put under the gun for the remaning schedule..produce or else/.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll needs to be multiple choice. There is no one answer, there never is for anything. Some of our problems relate directly to things beyond the management's control, some are just poor decision making, many of the issues relate to player performance, and we don't really know anything about how the team is coached.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Need an option 5:

Corporate ownership makes it impossible to compete, as winning requires somewhat irrational financial behaviour, and corporate managers are never capable of it, now matter how much they "care" about winning.
    That's what I was refering to in my post. It's more than the FO.
    And you described it bang on about the financial irrational behaviour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that a substantially under-appreciated element of a decent team is personality. There are a lot of guys on our squad who had ego reps before they got here. That might lead to a lot of one-upmanship and a lack of humility in approaching problems.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to say coaching. To me it looks like we've got a pretty strong roster as it is. On paper, look at what we've got. One of the league's best keepers at the moment and a very talented midfield. Defense is still lagging behind the remainder of the team, but I wouldn't say its dire. We seem to have all the components to make a playoff-contending team, but nothing seems to be coming together at the right time for us.

All said, I think we'll need to make two big changes if we can't make the playoffs - Cummins and Mo.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Poll needs to be multiple choice. There is no one answer, there never is for anything. Some of our problems relate directly to things beyond the management's control, some are just poor decision making, many of the issues relate to player performance, and we don't really know anything about how the team is coached.
    Obviously when a team struggles, it isn't just one issue that is 100% to blame. That's why the poll is worded in terms of the biggest factor, inferring that there are likely other factors as well.

In my opinion, we have a talented enough group of players to at least have the 8th spot locked up. So if the talent is there, then for me it has to be the coaching. It just has to be. To a degree, that is Mo's fault. He wanted to move upstairs, that is fine but then leave a coach in place that has the ability to lead these players to a better record. If he can't, then he needs to go as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem is we have a team full of players who play so selfishly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Need an option 5:

That is a cop-out. TFC have been given free-reign and are working in an environment where the league determines payroll, roster-sizes etc. MLSE may be a soulless money-grubbing entity, but they have no direct bearing on the results on the pitch.

What is going on at the ACC has little to do with what is going on at BMO Field. The people at BMO Field have to answer first before we look to MLSE for answers for why we aren't getting results in our fixtures.