Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ottawa's Soccer Dream Not Dead?

Looks like Euguene plans for MLS in Ottawa could be all but over, because of a possible hi-jack from the Lansdowne Live Group, to partner with PDL Ottawa Fury and bring them to USL-1 to play at Lansdowne.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...owne-live.html

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/op...774/story.html

http://www.ottawafury.com/fullstory.php?id=1326

What do you think?
    If this was to happen, how would the franchise do?
    The possibilty of more teams in the NCC?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The soccer public will not support the USL, Just ask Calgary,Toronto and Edmonton..this is not good for soccer in the country..soccer on pointy ball lined fields, run by a cfl group (theres disaster right there). this ownerhsip is looking for
    dates for lansdowne and not whats good for soccer...Melnyk is the best and only option for soccer in Ottawa.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great news.

another local rivalry would be nice, even if its in a different league, a 4th team in the NCC wouldn't hurt at all!
    c'mon you Reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    The soccer public will not support the USL, Just ask Calgary,Toronto and Edmonton..this is not good for soccer in the country..soccer on pointy ball lined fields, run by a cfl group (theres disaster right there). this ownerhsip is looking for
    dates for lansdowne and not whats good for soccer...Melnyk is the best and only option for soccer in Ottawa.
    what about Montreal and Vancouver?

and Ottawa's proximity to Montreal and possible matches with TFC in the Canadian Championship would be very attractive to football supporters in the area.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P View Post
    great news.

another local rivalry would be nice, even if its in a different league, a 4th team in the NCC wouldn't hurt at all!
    this team under any cfl ownership would go under in its first year or second at most. the last thing this sport needs is any connection to the Canadian Faliure League...another team for the NCC, why not just add pub teams from the CSL?? or OSL teams? lets just keep the competition
    between Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    what about Montreal and Vancouver?

and Ottawa's proximity to Montreal and possible matches with TFC in the Canadian Championship would be very attractive to football supporters in the area.
    2 decent franchises that will leave USL...and footie fans will not accept pointy ball lines on the field and cant see a cfl team taking the lines off.
    but i dont think its too much to worry about the will run the soccer tram into the ground in its first or second( if it gets that far) season. even the CFL team wont last going on Ottawas track record, fans in that city dumped the franchise cause they know the product is crap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minor league franchise for what is a minor league city...lets be honest

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    Minor league franchise for what is a minor league city...lets be honest

people can say that about Toronto too..the Leafs, Jays are no better then minor league teams...Argos?? minor league..Toronto cant get into the NFL..Raptors??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS in Toronto.

Ottawa has a NHL franchise and was in serious danger of losing their franchise, not to mention they were granted their franchise because they had owners willing to pay cash upfront, but unfortunately for them, lost their shirt in the process...to be then saved and and owned by a guy from Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think its that bad, there not looking to draw BMO numbers, certainly not.
    I could see the same thing in Hamilton if they fielded a USL team.

There not expecting big, but expecting numbers of the 5k regions.

This would be bad, to the developing of Candian Soccer

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If mighty_tfc thinks it's a bad idea, it's probably a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nutrilite has a possibility of being a 6 team:

Toronto
    Montreal
    Vancouver
    Ottawa
    Hamilton
    London

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people can say that about Toronto too..the Leafs, Jays are no better then minor league teams...Argos?? minor league..Toronto cant get into the NFL..Raptors??
    Toronto is hardly minor league sports city. Just because the teams aren't amazing doesn't mean it's minor league.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sab0tage View Post
    Toronto is hardly minor league sports city. Just because the teams aren't amazing doesn't mean it's minor league.
    its not major league either..till its gets a NFL team... then they can claim they have a team in the top flight leagues of North america=major leagues.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    I dont think its that bad, there not looking to draw BMO numbers, certainly not.
    I could see the same thing in Hamilton if they fielded a USL team.

There not expecting big, but expecting numbers of the 5k regions.

This would be bad, to the developing of Candian Soccer

Hamilton would be another with pointy ball lines...its funny how many think this would be good for Canadian soccer, yet cryed foul when talk of pointy ball lines at BMO surfaced...HYPOCRATES among the TFC faithful?

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    Hahahahaha. So true.

Mighty-tfc, dude, some of the stuff you say on here is soooooo out of left field I don't even know how to react. Not pickin' on ya, though, you're always good for a laugh.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Hahahahaha. So true.

Mighty-tfc, dude, some of the stuff you say on here is soooooo out of left field I don't even know how to react. Not pickin' on ya, though, you're always good for a laugh.

thanks...its take some imagination sometimes :}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a franchise to be successful (meaning they don't fold) in the long run it requires a large catchment area to pull fans from. Toronto (GTA) has one of the largest populations in this country and as such can still pull out a decent crowd to keep a franchise going even during their worst days (and Toronto sports fans know about bad days). Ottawa has great sports fans in general (although I was living there when they got the sens franchise and won't comment on how hard it was to GIVE tix away back then) but unfortunately the NCR doesn't have enough people in general to support teams during the bad days (and a new MLS Ottawa franchise will have some bad days to start).

Ottawa one day maybe... but not now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamilton would be another with pointy ball lines...its funny how many think this would be good for Canadian soccer, yet cryed foul when talk of pointy ball lines at BMO surfaced...HYPOCRATES among the TFC faithful?

OMG i was going to making any direct comments towards stupid ones like this . But you made me.

The difference is:

BMO was built SPECIFICALLY FOR SOCCER - so the TFC faithfull didnt want football lines on it, and wanted to keep it specifically for the purpose it was built for. Also it wouldnt look good on the fans,ownership, and city if Toronto FC is to make an impact in the MLS - THE TOP FLIGHT OF SOCCER IN NORTH AMERICA

Hamilton, and Ottawa would be second tenants in the USL-1. there doesnt need any further explanation.

I would like to know how this wouldnt be good, because i look at it as the development of Canadian players.

We all know that American players get more exposure, and ever more to say a better chance of playing in MLS, then canadians.

With more Canadian franchises, the Canadian talent can be more looked at, because of the opportunities the Canadian franchises place for Canadian players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto
    Montreal
    Vancouver
    Ottawa
    Hamilton
    London
    Would London be ready to make the jump above PDL?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    I'd put him on my ignore list. But sometimes the accidental comedian posts something so unbelievable that it is to laugh at.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not major league either..till its gets a NFL team... then they can claim they have a team in the top flight leagues of North america=major leagues.
    So because we don`t have a team in ONE of the major leagues, we are therefore a minor league sports city. That makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dates for lansdowne and not whats good for soccer
    ...Melnyk is the best and only option for soccer in Ottawa.
    I only agree with the bolded part of this post . I really doubt that the group is interested in the sport of soccer ... they just want the additional dates in order to justify the usage of tax payers money for a new stadium.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG i was going to making any direct comments towards stupid ones like this . But you made me.

The difference is:

BMO was built SPECIFICALLY FOR SOCCER - so the TFC faithfull didnt want football lines on it, and wanted to keep it specifically for the purpose it was built for. Also it wouldnt look good on the fans,ownership, and city if Toronto FC is to make an impact in the MLS - THE TOP FLIGHT OF SOCCER IN NORTH AMERICA

Hamilton, and Ottawa would be second tenants in the USL-1. there doesnt need any further explanation.

I would like to know how this wouldnt be good, because i look at it as the development of Canadian players.

We all know that American players get more exposure, and ever more to say a better chance of playing in MLS, then canadians.

With more Canadian franchises, the Canadian talent can be more looked at, because of the opportunities the Canadian franchises place for Canadian players.

good for players playing yes..but real footie fans wont want to pay money watching footie on cfl lined fields, thats a given. USL is not going to last
    and soccer would be better off if it did...they are going to lose vancouver and Portland their two top teams leaving only mediocre pish franchise left...Hamilton and OTtawa would be Better off having franchises in the CSL, that way canadian players can play and still have a league to play in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Would London be ready to make the jump above PDL?
    did you see attendance rates this year?
    higher then some of the USL-1 crowds. pulling in 1k+ per game easily.
    with the proximity to Ottawa, I know that I would buy seasons for it if they came about with a USL-1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

London would be cool... there's nothing else to do there!!!! heheh.
    I spent a year in London, including a summer, and that summer was pretty goddamn boring.
    Captive audience for footy there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being from London, our PDL team took off right away in its inaugural season. The crowds weren't massive but the fact that people consistently went out to support the team game after game does show that there is interest. There were numerous articles written with the owners saying how extremely happy they were with the initial success and they are thrilled to move forward. There has already been talk (however small) about a stadium being built.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto
    Montreal
    Vancouver
    Ottawa
    Hamilton
    London
    Don't forget Victoria who have stated they want to take the USL place of Vancouver when they make the jump to th MLS.
    I think this is good news not only for USL and Ottawa but for the NCC and Canadian soccer as well. Plus, like others have mentioned, with Montreal still in the USL (For how long we don't know) the matchups between those two would be intense.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sab0tage View Post
    So because we don`t have a team in ONE of the major leagues, we are therefore a minor league sports city. That makes sense.
    Consider who you are talking to.