Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    I guess LA is minor league as well.
    could be Hockey is not supported well, if it was not for baseball and basketball LA would be the toronto of the west coast sports.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    could be Hockey is not supported well, if it was not for baseball and basketball LA would be the toronto of the west coast sports.
    This statement makes NO SENSE.

"If it wasn't for the NBA and MLB teams LA has, they would be the Toronto of the west coast!!"

... except that Toronto has sports teams in MLB and NBA too, so how would not having NBA and MLB teams make LA like Toronto?

Stunning.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, than I guess Toronto would be on par with LA as Toronto and baskteball are supported well, but baseball not so much.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    ^ewww. "affiliate". You think your fellow citzens from Ottawa would care to be an affiliate to Montreal for anything?
    It's just symantics. I used "affiliate" instead of the North American term "Farm Team" because the Ottawa franchise would not be owned by the corporate entities from Montreal or Toronto but would be an easy and close locale for the higher league teams to place players needing more seasoning and playing time on loan like they do in other soccer jurisdictions.

As to being affiliated with Montreal... it worked great with the Expos and the Ottawa Lynx. We got to see up and coming baseball players in the intimate atmosphere of AAA ball. We got to know the players and often had a chance to actually meet and socialize with many of them. When they got promoted it was quite a big deal and it was terrific to be able to drive a few hours up the road and cheer them on in the big league.

The idea of double affiliations has worked before in North America in both baseball and hockey. Some American hockey league teams were almost entirely made up of signed draft picks from more than one NHL franchise.

Again... it all depends upon the right management team and a good marketing plan.

O and of course the team has to show steady improvement and win in the long run. Ottawa is notoriously hard on perpetual losing teams.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That's great that you folks enjoyed the accessability of the Lynx. I'm just surprised there wouldn't be more of a city rivalry more akin to our own here in Toronto and Montreal.

Anyway, I would prefer to see an independent club for your city. We are hoping they'd play each other in the Vcup, no?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This statement makes NO SENSE.

"If it wasn't for the NBA and MLB teams LA has, they would be the Toronto of the west coast!!"

... except that Toronto has sports teams in MLB and NBA too, so how would not having NBA and MLB teams make LA like Toronto?

Stunning.

- Scott

LA has a loser Hockey team = Toronto does too
    LA has has the Clippers nba + toronto has the equally bad raptors
    LA has no NFL team=ditto for toronto
    LA has the woeful dodgers and Toronto the hapless jays

so LA and Toronto do support crap franchises...except LA has the Lakers
    a team that always contends!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA has the woeful dodgers and Toronto the hapless jays
    umm.. dodgers are in first place...

dodgers won their division last year too...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

going to have to pay attention to the NL more often

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

Stop it with all that logic you keep using!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy Unikronik View Post
    Until this gets sorted I think Ottawa would be nuts to try and get in the USL. From what I see, it is the big boys in the league that are leading this.

I sometimes wonder with all of the top USL teams bailing to MLS if the USL and USL 2 are eventually going to have to merge.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post
    Until this gets sorted I think Ottawa would be nuts to try and get in the USL. From what I see, it is the big boys in the league that are leading this.

I sometimes wonder with all of the top USL teams bailing to MLS if the USL and USL 2 are eventually going to have to merge.
    If a merge happens I could see alot of USL 2 clubs either go into the PDL or just fold. Most of them are in th '2' due to financial reasons and would not be able to maintain a competitive club, unless the USL helps with financials.
    I think we will know something by November. If the TOAs want to start a new league it will take time to set up so they will have start as soon as possible if they want this league by 2010.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post

Ottawa will never accept USL football...its not MLS...Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary all failed to support USL...The best thing for north american football is for the USL to go under...then maybe MLS could add a lower
    devolpment league ( no promotion/relegaion shite) where cities like Montreal, Edmonton and Calgary could fit it..then after a while if those teams are well supported then move up to MLS proper.
    Last edited by mighty_torontofc_2008; 09-06-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    If a merge happens I could see alot of USL 2 clubs either go into the PDL or just fold. Most of them are in th '2' due to financial reasons and would not be able to maintain a competitive club, unless the USL helps with financials.
    I think we will know something by November. If the TOAs want to start a new league it will take time to set up so they will have start as soon as possible if they want this league by 2010.
    What about the NPSL (National Premier Soccer League)?

I think keemo-sabi would be able to provide more info.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope that won't happen. The present setup seems to be moving toward the european model with "promotion" happening in a NA sort of way. A merger I think would hinder that.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=181317

Another stadium proposal for Ottawa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee dubya View Post
    http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=181317

Another stadium proposal for Ottawa.
    Pics:

Source: http://communities.canada.com/OTTAWA...r-stadium.aspx

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's beautiful!

Edit - Except for the football lines. Anyone have a link to the article? Edit2 - Nevermind, found it.
    Last edited by Super Cereal; 05-02-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    What about the NPSL (National Premier Soccer League)?

I think keemo-sabi would be able to provide more info.
    Keem would have to verify, but I'm pretty sure NPSL is lower than the PDL. I'm pretty sure all players are still considered Amateur. The league is there for college players to have a league to play in after their respective college seasons and still keep their amateur status... meaning they don't get paid. As I said before Keem would have to verify that, Because I'm not 100% sure ...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see them in MLS. Perhaps they relocate a dying franchise there. I think ottawa could bring 15,000 a game in. It would be huge for Canadian soccer to have four MLS teams in a 20 team league... Would be huge for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think ottawa would be alright. they basically just have the sens, so i dont see why (if they actually played in the city) they couldnt get 3-5 k, per game if not more. a nice rivalry with toronto & montreal. an NCC tourney with TFC, VWFC, Limpact, Edmonton and Ottawa would be sweet.

beyond that, i dunno about london, but certainly the GTA or hamilton could do well with a USL team i would imagine.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottawa is infuriating to gauge properly. I really don't now what to think anymore about their prospects of an MLS franchise - or even an NASL club for that matter. All I know for sure is that a plan that puts a stadium out in Kanata would be a total failure. A venue at Landsdowne or another central site would be best, no doubt.

Just really hard to say how a club there would turn out.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FOGES View Post
    i think ottawa would be alright. they basically just have the sens, so i dont see why (if they actually played in the city) they couldnt get 3-5 k, per game if not more. a nice rivalry with toronto & montreal. an NCC tourney with TFC, VWFC, Limpact, Edmonton and Ottawa would be sweet.

beyond that, i dunno about london, but certainly the GTA or hamilton could do well with a USL team i would imagine.
    To my understanding Hamilton is getting a team with the new stadium being built for the Pan-Am Games...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ ruspek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not major league either..till its gets a NFL team... then they can claim they have a team in the top flight leagues of North america=major leagues.
    From a commercial standpoint Toronto sure is major league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just want hamilton and Ottawa in the USL..... epic NCC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deltox View Post
    i just want hamilton and Ottawa in the USL..... epic NCC
    Agreed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Landown at least much better than the proposal I read a while back about having a USL/NASL entry playing out of the baseball stadium in our nation's capital.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    I could see them in MLS. Perhaps they relocate a dying franchise there. I think ottawa could bring 15,000 a game in. It would be huge for Canadian soccer to have four MLS teams in a 20 team league... Would be huge for us.
    Okay..which one? Not to mention there are a few US markets out there that the league would want to put a franchise before putting it in Ottawa.
    Ottawa in MLS...nope. Ottawa in NASL/USL...yep.
    Saputo has said that he wants to keep a club in the NASL when they come to MLS. Ottawa wouldn't be a bad choice for Saputo to put his replacement franchise.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    Well Landown at least much better than the proposal I read a while back about having a USL/NASL entry playing out of the baseball stadium in our nation's capital.
    I think that particular proposal was more about justifying the initial expense of the stadium moreso than building a viable soccer park on the existing site. At least, that's the feeling I get when I look at it.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I think that particular proposal was more about justifying the initial expense of the stadium moreso than building a viable soccer park on the existing site. At least, that's the feeling I get when I look at it.

ya, I remember that article (might have even posted it), and it seemed like a make work project for somebody looking to justify keeping the stadium around. IIRC, it had other suggestion for the stadium too.

would love to see a MLS team at Landsdowne but given the only possible owner who's shown interest in the MLS so far is Melnyk, I won't hold my breath.