Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    The draw in Seattle was a failure in a couple of ways. It allowed other teams to jump ahead of us. It gave Seattle the tiebreaker and did nothing for our goal differential.

I agree. We needed a win. A draw is a consolation prize that does little to help us. The only thing good about this draw is that it wasn't a loss. That isn't saying much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    tie breaker is head to head....what a fucking bush league
    I disagree, it's much more fair when you really think about it. A big disadvantage in terms of quickly seeing which teams are ahead of who and what's needed, but more fair nevertheless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    That game against the Energy Drinks should be considered a borderline automatic three points at this point, and with how bad they have been.

That, with three wins at home, would likely put us over the top. But even if we don't get all three, it's not like a win on the road is out of the question... or even a few draws to make up for it.

- Scott
    They "borderline automatically" beat the crew 1-0 today and haven't lost since they let JCO go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That first half was the best I've seen the team play, even in the second when they were being pressed they didnt look bad until the last minute. I wouldnt start Robinson in the next game, his offensive disability is really hurting our team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    After the rapids win today.......we are now 11th out of 15.

guess this makes next weeks's game vs the rapids even more vital!!!!

2 points behinds the rapids....!!! and this also being our game in hand over RSL who are 2 points ahead!!!

OUr next 2 games are vs.....the 2 teams a head of us in the last playoff positions!!!!

I'll take the point in COL......and the 3points at home vs RSL on the 12th is a F'IN MUST!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Yup, off that incredibly long drop kick from Frei. Barrett has quality. Most of us are willing to admit it. It's too bad the finish isn't there. He has talents. Scoring isn't really one of them unfortunately.
    Exactly. In most situations he would be in my starting 11 just on the wing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have won 6 of 12 at home. So based on form so far, we're 50% likely to win at BMO this year.

The odds of us winning all three games remaining at BMO (no draws) is 12.5%.

There's lots of reasons why these numbers may be somewhat higher or lower, but let's not kid ourselves about just how unusual it would be for us to pull that off.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

based on form, past meetings this year, and also home advantage....I can see us getting results (win or tie) from 5 of our remaining games....hopefully they aren't all ties

@ COL - a tie would be reasonable - tie
    COL - this should be a win, but since both teams playing for a spot - tie
    @LAG - I'd love to say we'll win this, but LA is rounding into form - Loss
    @CHI - Still has the quality to win at home - Loss
    SJ - We should win this - win
    RSL - RSL stinks on the road, but both teams fighting for a spot - tie
    @NYRB - good form of late, but I think we can at least tie or win there - tie or win

7 to 9 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    tie breaker is head to head....what a fucking bush league
    I guess Serie A is Bush League as well.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Colorado - Draw or win. The altitude could be, but should not be, a factor. But we've won here before and we can do it again.
    vs. Colorado - Win. I have faith in this one.
    @ LA - Draw or loss.
    @ Chicago - Loss.
    vs. San Jose - Win. We won at their house, we should we able to win again.
    vs. Salt Lake - Win. With the wind at our back, should be good.
    @ New York - Win. Good way to top it all off.

That should be about 13 pts.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Fair enough but how do you explain Dero taking that shot off of Guevara's foot?

If Dero has no confidence in Guevara taking that shot then Tfc have a serious problem on their hands. I don't think that's the case. I just chalk it up to dero being greedy in that moment, which also isn't good.
    DeRo better be crawling on his knees and begging Guevara's forgiveness

I thought DeRo stealing Guevara's shot was a huge slap in the face

curious to know what sort of repercussions come out of this

on that note, I think Guevara completely disappeared right after that incident...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    DeRo better be crawling on his knees and begging Guevara's forgiveness

I thought DeRo stealing Guevara's shot was a huge slap in the face

curious to know what sort of repercussions come out of this

on that note, I think Guevara completely disappeared right after that incident...
    Probably went something like this:

G: What the shit man? I had a shot, what the fcuk's with stealing it from me?

...and now you fill in the blanks.
    (I think?)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedchinaman View Post
    Probably went something like this:

G: What the shit man? I had a shot, what the fcuk's with stealing it from me?

...and now you fill in the blanks.
    well, Guevara would be screaming at DeRo in Spanish, because you know, Guevara just hate speaking English
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    well, Guevara would be screaming at DeRo in Spanish, because you know, Guevara just hate speaking English
    Well, that was a rough translation methinks.

Still, DeRo needs to realize that there are people around him and that move was not very cool. But being a consummate pro I hope DeRo did say something and they kissed and made up.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately I did not get to see the match, and the 'Match in 6 Minutes' is only highlights, it appeared that TFC should have been up at least 2-nil in the first half.
    Can someone give an honest and objective report on the match.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Unfortunately I did not get to see the match, and the 'Match in 6 Minutes' is only highlights, it appeared that TFC should have been up at least 2-nil in the first half.
    Can someone give an honest and objective report on the match.

Cheers
    Basically, we controlled the match in the first half. Dominated play, didn't let Seattle settle on the ball. We pressed effectively, were first to every ball got behind the Seattle defense a number of times, but couldn't finish. We had 4 solid chances from what I remember (DeRo's fluff, Barrett's diving header, Guevera off the bar, and one other I think).

Second half, Seattle came back into the game, Sigi readjusted things and we didn't as normal.

We struggled to get the ball to our forwards in the second half - rather than addressing the issue, Cummins made the brilliant move of putting Gerba on.

DeRo was far too selfish, and tried to do it all himself.

T-Bird

I missed most of the game but was able to catch a few snipets at my neice's B-day but they seemed to be played well...sounds like we deserved to win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Basically, we controlled the match in the first half. Dominated play, didn't let Seattle settle on the ball. We pressed effectively, were first to every ball got behind the Seattle defense a number of times, but couldn't finish. We had 4 solid chances from what I remember (DeRo's fluff, Barrett's diving header, Guevera off the bar, and one other I think).

Second half, Seattle came back into the game, Sigi readjusted things and we didn't as normal.

We struggled to get the ball to our forwards in the second half - rather than addressing the issue, Cummins made the brilliant move of putting Gerba on.

DeRo was far too selfish, and tried to do it all himself.
    Think it was Cronin with the other chance; first half we looked really good, the formation and tactics seemed to be working very well, but missed two chances when the keeper was beaten.

Second half Seattle adjusted and Cummins didn't seem to be able to adapt the plan .. not using the subs was a big mistake, if he was protecting the tie why not put on some extra defensive players (cause Seattle was pushing hard), or if going for the win why not stack the front (Vitti and Dichio).

I was impressed with first half, but disipointed we couldn't control the whole 90, and we can't win if we don't finish those chances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reports, cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pro-Cummins up until the Dichio debacle....IMO he almost cost us the game by refusing to substitute obviously tired players, like Guevarra, and DeRo...not to mention failing to give Dichio a chance. Gerba didn't get much service but he's very lazy in shutting down players or chasing loose balls...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not see the first half only listened to it on the radio but this game we should have won. Even with the draw we lost in the standings. Dero was absolutely brutal in the second half. He is so frustrated with what's going on that every time he loses the ball or is fouled you can see the whine on his face. He needs to suck it up and be a man. Be a professional.

As for coach Cummins, he needs to make substitutions much earlier and to not use up his allowable subs and bring in DD for the added height in the box is just not right. We needed one goal and all we had out there late in the game was to many tired bodies.

He is running himself out of town and out of a job with the lack of creativity or at least not making the correct substituations. When is this guy finally going to get it. What the hell is Mo doing? It must be driving him round the bend also, it would have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Are you sure you think it's "dumb"? Have you really looked at that site? It's a Monte Carlo simulation that probability weights every single combination of outcomes, from "going undefeated to losing every single game", and every combination in between. It adjusts for strength of schedule and home vs road record of each team.

It's not a predictor, which is what makes it useful. It just lays out outcomes.

It shows we need 42-43 points. Which means we need wins not ties. And now we have one less game to get the reuired number of wins in.
    If you enjoy your football in percentages on some companies coolio webpage, have at it.

I also think it's dumb. I've looked at the site and find it amazingly unimpressive, and I laugh every time I see someone get all excited in the pants over a new number.

Also not a fan of doomsayers. If we don't make the playoffs, I'll deal with it then, I don't understand why people focus so much on the negative..

ENJOY THE BLOODY FOOTBALL, YOU COULD DIE TOMORROW.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post

thats actually some serious words of wisdom there

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^OK Shep, you enjoy your football your way. That's pretty f$%^& patronizing.

You and I could both die tomorrow, either way.

sportclubstats is watched pretty closely by people in Las Vegas who use it to set betting lines.

How about you articulate why it's so "amazingly unimpressive" so that we can get a sense as to whether your opinion is worth listening to, or just uninformed drivel?
    Last edited by ensco; 09-03-2009 at 07:04 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sportclubstats is watched pretty closely by people in Las Vegas who use it to set betting lines.

How about you articulate why it's so "amazingly unimpressive" so that we can get a sense as to whether your opinion is worth listening to, or just uninformed drivel?
    Because people latch onto this % thing like it's some sort of logical guideline to judge the state of the club with. Yet we've seen the numbers jump all over the map after each result and honestly I think we'd be better off without the extra added "Look, here's some more proof we won't make it!" undertone people throw in with it.. when the truth is that anything can still happen, until we are 0% we still have a decent chance, the club can do it...and saying the club now only has a 26% chance to do it is absurd.

And I think the criticism of the last match was well undeserved, and I'm reacting.

Coming into a thread and reading this:

"We're not in good shape, even if we sweep Colorado we have a lot more to do.

All those of you satisfied with the result yesterday....

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/M...TorontoFC.html

the odds of TFC making the playoffs went down, from 32% to 26%, with the draw"

Like I'm supposed to now change my opinion that we played well in Seattle because of the magical % this site gives me.

I get that some people aren't happy with anything less than easily winning 90% of our games, and some seem to think they are professional football coaches and get on Cummins for everything they think he's doing wrong.

I noticed in the same thread you berate him for keeping 2 unused subs on the bench, and blaming him for our draw... what if he had subbed them, and one made an error and gave up a goal, losing us the match?.. then Cummins would have done something wrong again.. you would have had another problem with his tactics.

Nevermind that Seattle aren't easy, and in their own home nonetheles. We owned most of the match and held them back.

So this is me being a fanboy. I'm sick of the anti-TFC rhetoric, the coach-bashing, calling out players for not being 100% on the ball every minute of every game, all of it. It really seems like some people thrive on the negative aspects, and a few like to try to spread that around as much as possible. I'm all for constructive criticism, but that isn't the case with most of the points, people get personal towards our players and coaching staff, venting by insulting them.

This % machine only adds to that IMO. So I said I thought it was dumb, and I still do. A win next match brings us to nearly 50%..... and who knows beyond that, but saying 26% now makes it look like we are royally screwed, when we are far from it. Why even bother to quote the numbers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you enjoy your football in percentages on some companies coolio webpage, have at it.

I also think it's dumb. I've looked at the site and find it amazingly unimpressive, and I laugh every time I see someone get all excited in the pants over a new number.

Also not a fan of doomsayers. If we don't make the playoffs, I'll deal with it then, I don't understand why people focus so much on the negative..

As in awful soccer? Sorry but, some of us got standards when comes to soccer. TFC is awful team right now. Their management and coaching staff are killing soccer with their amateur ways (Dichio incident being the recent example). Hopefully soccer gods can somehow give MLSE a brain so that they can fire management ASAP especially when it looks like TFC are not going to make it to the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give it up Eugene, he's not going to rationalize it becuase he can't. It's a math formula based on season-long performance, which is as close as line makers are gonna get to the actual probability. We all know it's not sacrosanct. But simply writing it off as "amazingly unimpressive" is just stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because people latch onto this % thing like it's some sort of logical guideline to judge the state of the club with. Yet we've seen the numbers jump all over the map after each result and honestly I think we'd be better off without the extra added "Look, here's some more proof we won't make it!" undertone people throw in with it.. when the truth is that anything can still happen, until we are 0% we still have a decent chance, the club can do it...and saying the club now only has a 26% chance to do it is absurd.

And I think the criticism of the last match was well undeserved, and I'm reacting.

Coming into a thread and reading this:

"We're not in good shape, even if we sweep Colorado we have a lot more to do.

All those of you satisfied with the result yesterday....

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/M...TorontoFC.html

the odds of TFC making the playoffs went down, from 32% to 26%, with the draw"

Like I'm supposed to now change my opinion that we played well in Seattle because of the magical % this site gives me.

I get that some people aren't happy with anything less than easily winning 90% of our games, and some seem to think they are professional football coaches and get on Cummins for everything they think he's doing wrong.

I noticed in the same thread you berate him for keeping 2 unused subs on the bench, and blaming him for our draw... what if he had subbed them, and one made an error and gave up a goal, losing us the match?.. then Cummins would have done something wrong again.. you would have had another problem with his tactics.

Nevermind that Seattle aren't easy, and in their own home nonetheles. We owned most of the match and held them back.

So this is me being a fanboy. I'm sick of the anti-TFC rhetoric, the coach-bashing, calling out players for not being 100% on the ball every minute of every game, all of it. It really seems like some people thrive on the negative aspects, and a few like to try to spread that around as much as possible. I'm all for constructive criticism, but that isn't the case with most of the points, people get personal towards our players and coaching staff, venting by insulting them.

This % machine only adds to that IMO. So I said I thought it was dumb, and I still do. A win next match brings us to nearly 50%..... and who knows beyond that, but saying 26% now makes it look like we are royally screwed, when we are far from it. Why even bother to quote the numbers?

I agree with you when it comes to relying on statistics to show what direction the team is headed in.

That being said, what are your reasons for feeling positive about the rest of the season?

And I'm not trying to stir the shit here. I'd really like to know.

From where I'm sitting, it's going to be really hard (almost impossible if they play the way they have for the past 20+ games) for TFC to make the playoffs this year.

TFC would have to become a team that they haven't been in 3 years. A team that wins somewhat consistently, while at the same time does not lose much at all.

So again....what brings on the positive outlook other than the fact that they are still "mathematically" in it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Give it up Eugene, he's not going to rationalize it becuase he can't. It's a math formula based on season-long performance, which is as close as line makers are gonna get to the actual probability. We all know it's not sacrosanct. But simply writing it off as "amazingly unimpressive" is just stupid.
    TFC needs a fundamentalist sect or something for these guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was watching highlights of the game, I realized that dero didnt really steal the ball from Guevera. If you look at where the ball was in relation to the defender, Dero had more advantage on the ball then Guevera. What Dero did wrong was not look to hit trailer comin down the wing who had more advantage than Dero's of balance shot.
    I think if we can get Dero playing less direct and more holding the ball up to allow player to join the attack, we'll see a very competitive team. This is the main reason Dero is always taking on multiple defenders, because he doesnt stop running down the other teams throat,they have no choice!. If we can get dero to say,"hey I have advanced the ball in to the attacking third there 3 defenders around me that means two of my teamates are open" "I should pass".