Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Toronto FC membership

We're looking at ways to make more people feel like part of this club. Many European clubs have a club membership model that ranges from Madrid who vote in the President every 4 years, to EPL clubs who make you buy a membership before you can purchase a ticket.

Look at Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham etc to see what I'm talking about.

Maybe it includes some swag like what is currently an exclusive SSH scarf?
    a DVD of highlights?
    souvenir booklet?
    maybe there is some online benefit component?
    maybe there are tiers where you get access to an allotment of tickets?
    Newsletter?

Sky's the limit - how would it look? what would it cost?

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this possible membership would only be available to STH's?
    If you are a STH, would you have to buy a membership?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are a couple of different European membership plans:

Barcelona:

Barça magazine delivered to your house.
    Your own club e-mail address: yourname@mail.fcbarcelona.com
    A free ticket for the museum.
    Entrance to training and autograph sessions.
    Discounts at the club shop and online store.
    Discounts on the price of tickets.

Chelsea:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Toronto FC magazine would be cool, another thing maybe is gameday stamps or tokens or pins which you would collect as a member, and at the end of the year, if you had all 20 or whatever you would get a signed shirt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"the sky's the limit"

How ML$E feels about fans pocket books

sorry...i had to do it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but you won't see a monthly TFC mag...
    seriously... what would be in it?
    TFC TV already covers everything one might want from a magazine.

access to autograph and training sessions?
    - this is Toronto... not Chelsea.. being a STH should give you access to all that.
    - TFC can't restrict non-membership public from getting autographs... that ain't the way to build a fan base in hockey town.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea... just need to learn more....
    Last edited by flatpicker; 08-27-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    "the sky's the limit"

How ML$E feels about fans pocket books

sorry...i had to do it

That was my first thought too.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The primary purpose of a membership scheme is to create new revenue streams for the club. Sadly, I think a lot of people (especially ones with kids) will buy into something like this.

When Toronto FC was created, they did a very good job of "making people feel part of the club" and the way they did it was through legitimate interaction with the fans, not trumped up membership programs.

Club transparency, quality product for a good price, pub crawls, the 90th minute etc. These were real ways that fans felt like they were part of the club.

1) This "membership" would never be like the madrid membership, because their club is like a co-op. The fans vote in the president of the team. MLSE would never do this..ever.

2) Membership for tickets makes the club exclusive - since the beginning one of the great things about TFC was their inclusiveness...all for one?

3) You already give us an exclusive SSH scarf and if we want DVD's etc, we can buy them (or download them )

My advice would be to TFC to step back, see what the club has done in 3 years and go right back to square one. The club needs to look back to what made them a success in the first place, not to European membership schemes which clubs like liverpool admit are basically a way to increase revenue to catch up to bigger (financially) clubs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds interesting........but like many others.......what will be the cost to the fan?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, I think if someone is a SSH they should automatically be a member.

For people who are not SSH's, I could see value in a membership that provided them access to ticket allotments ahead of the general public.

Swag is OK but I don't think I would buy a membership just for that. Personally don't collect that stuff but others may think its great.

I'd see more value in getting a deeper discount on TFC merchandise that the now 10%. As an example, become a member and get 25% off the new season jersey.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the FO ever NOT thinking up ways to milk people of their hard earned money?

How about spending some time focusing on the product on the field.

Disgusting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I have no interest in paying anything ABOVE what I'm already paying for my season tickets. If it's included for SSH's then fine, otherwise, piss off with the extra fees thanks.

kelzag

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    The primary purpose of a membership scheme is to create new revenue streams for the club. Sadly, I think a lot of people (especially ones with kids) will buy into something like this.

When Toronto FC was created, they did a very good job of "making people feel part of the club" and the way they did it was through legitimate interaction with the fans, not trumped up membership programs.

Club transparency, quality product for a good price, pub crawls, the 90th minute etc. These were real ways that fans felt like they were part of the club.

1) This "membership" would never be like the madrid membership, because their club is like a co-op. The fans vote in the president of the team. MLSE would never do this..ever.

2) Membership for tickets makes the club exclusive - since the beginning one of the great things about TFC was their inclusiveness...all for one?

3) You already give us an exclusive SSH scarf and if we want DVD's etc, we can buy them (or download them )

My advice would be to TFC to step back, see what the club has done in 3 years and go right back to square one. The club needs to look back to what made them a success in the first place, not to European membership schemes which clubs like liverpool admit are basically a way to increase revenue to catch up to bigger (financially) clubs

EXACTLY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    IMO, I think if someone is a SSH they should automatically be a member.

For people who are not SSH's, I could see value in a membership that provided them access to ticket allotments ahead of the general public.

Swag is OK but I don't think I would buy a membership just for that. Personally don't collect that stuff but others may think its great.

I'd see more value in getting a deeper discount on TFC merchandise that the now 10%. As an example, become a member and get 25% off the new season jersey.
    - there are already a lot of people on the waiting list for tickets, don't they get a crack at tickets before the general public?

- so, the cost of the membership would probably be exactly the same as the amount you save on the jersey. So unless you plan on getting other swag, there is no point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You make some very good points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't care about swag. I don't care about videos or magazines. I don't care about getting through the gates quicker. I don't care about discounts on merchandise.

I care about having a mechanism by which the members of the CLUB can influence the direction of the club in a MEANINGFUL way. You agree to that and I'll pay the price.

Anything else is a cheap marketing vehicle that will only line your pockets more than they are already being lined.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    - there are already a lot of people on the waiting list for tickets, don't they get a crack at tickets before the general public?

- so, the cost of the membership would probably be exactly the same as the amount you save on the jersey. So unless you plan on getting other swag, there is no point.
    They do for specific sales that come up (ex. Friendlies, Champions League). I meant for the regular season games.

Probably right on the cost of membership/savings thing. Just an idea that popped into my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC Membership:

If you are a STH it will be a Picture ID and get you in to games (scanned kinda like a Wonderland Season Pass) after being scanned at gate.

Flat price beer. (I don't buy beer but for example if everyone pays 7.90 you pay 6)

Discounts in the Team Shop

A Toronto FC T-Shirt at Renewal as well as a scarf noting that you are a member.

ST Priority.

A points system where the more you buy (tickets, popcorn, jerseys, beer, anything) you get points on your card and can get free swag from Sweatshirts to Jerseys to Signed Jerseys to Game-Worn Jerseys to Those Table Tickets.

A Toronto FC email.

Pre-Season meet and greet with players including a dinner and autograph signing as well as mingling.

First crack at seats in the North Stand. (Yeah thats right I went there)

First crack at playoff seats.

A tab set-up, scan your card with as well as show picture ID and it works like a credit card. (yeah this one is a bit of a stretch but who likes carrying around cash?) You pay tab at the end of the season.

Members can bring flares in to games. = ]

STH must be members.

Free admission to open practices and museum.

GolTV subscription included.

Voting option on our options for friendlies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ and a partridge in a pear tree.....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want my picture on any card TFCtoMUFC...

They already have cameras blanketing the stadium already.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would consider this ONLY if the membership is in form of a MEMBERSHARE that is honoured.

I am pretty sure many of these clubs give "members" the right to vote the board of directors and/or their management.

IF THAT WAS THE CASE... you would have me 100%
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    ^ and a partridge in a pear tree.....
    I dont want all of that, maybe a few of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoot for the stars, I get it.

I just don't know how much of that list would be given.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    I would consider this ONLY if the membership is in form of a MEMBERSHARE that is honoured.

I am pretty sure many of these clubs give "members" the right to vote the board of directors and/or their management.

IF THAT WAS THE CASE... you would have me 100%

As VPjr said...have a say in a meaningful way. If so, I'd be on board.

If it's just a cash grab...count me out.

For the record, I am a club member for FC Barcelona.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies for the cynicism, but there's no way I can see this ending up as anything other than supporters having to pay more to be able to keep getting tickets. Sure we'll get some pointless trinkets thrown at us, but nothing we'd generally decide to pay extra for, and we'll get nothing that is worth paying extra for.

Prove me wrong, please, i would love to be wrong.

At the very least let there be a $0.00 cost, 0 extra frills option if it's going to be mandatory to get tickets.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What he said.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO SEAT LICENCES.

Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My view is that this cannot be seen to be a club run "supporter's group." Swag will do exactly that if that is all that it is.

I think we'd need a monthly meeting for all members where the issues of the club are addressed and at which members can go up to Q and A mics to ask you, Tom, Mo and the coaching staff specific questions much like stockholders or political party members would do at an AGM.

I also believe that you would have to develop a position and role for an individual elected by members. This person would have to have a position on TFC's board of directors or some such similar type of body. An advisory board????? Welllllllllllllll, maybe ........ depending on whether or not advice is taken and acted upon.

If this is to be done, it has to be done with all seriousness.

If it is in any way seen by supporters to be nothing more than a ploy to appease disgruntled supporters without any actual worthwhile role, then it won't fly.

If something of that sort of thing cannot happen, it probably isn't worth doing. There has to be a perceived value beyond swag (although a little bit of swag is always good depending on the cost of membership).

Cheers

B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    My view is that this cannot be seen to be a club run "supporter's group." Swag will do exactly that if that is all that it is.

I think we'd need a monthly meeting for all members where the issues of the club are addressed and at which members can go up to Q and A mics to ask you, Tom, Mo and the coaching staff specific questions much like stockholders or political party members would do at an AGM.

I also believe that you would have to develop a position and role for a a members election. This person would have to have a position on TFC's board of directors or some such similar type of body. An advisory board????? Welllllllllllllll, maybe depending on whether or not advice is taken and acted upon.

If this is to be done, it has to be done with all seriousness.

If it is in anyway seen by supporters as some sort of ploy to appease disgruntled supporters without any actual worthwhile role, then it won't fly.

If something of that sort of thing cannot happen, it probably isn't worth doing. There has to be a perceived value beyond swag (although a little bit of swag is always good depending on the cost of membership).

Cheers

B
    So if I understand what you are saying, we would elect someone to speak on our behalf on some board with the team? If so I like that.