Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She got her degree from Trent. Think that says it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leah_Mclaren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This piece was written in the Arts section. I didn't expect much else than self righteous pretension and it delivered it in spades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I give the reader a lot of credit, stories like this reflect badly on the author. I really don't think it reflects badly on soccer in Toronto, as I doubt many people will think much of the story.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to hold on to our heritage of bland politesse at all costs.
    umm... Go Leafs Go?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the end, what do you expect from a writer who got her job because mommy was the editor.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO COMMENT !!!

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A picture speaks a thousand words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    For those of you that don't know, this author tried to sue the creators of "Knocked up" the movie, because they stole her story of being pregnant.

I question if she is mentally stable. The fact that she mentions something along the lines of "nice WASP" in the article makes me think she needs to move out of the city to some quiet town where she can live in a bubble.
    Actually that was National Post writer, Rebecca Eckler, who wrote the novel 'knocked up' prior to the movie being made.

Unless Leah Mclaren is her pseudonym

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What really fuckin kicks my ass is that she has fully accused TFC fans of wanting to bring "war" to the city. This really warrants contact with the editor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh is all I have to say.
    Last edited by Hooligan69; 06-07-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the sports editor's e-mail.

Dave Leeder
    dleeder@globeandmail.com

I encourage everyone to send him a little something too. He's as much to blame as the whore is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No he's not - it's not in the Sports Section apparently. Email her mom - she's an editor at the Globe I think. Cecily Ross.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Actually that was National Post writer, Rebecca Eckler, who wrote the novel 'knocked up' prior to the movie being made.

Unless Leah Mclaren is her pseudonym

Nope - you're right. It's two different people....and they're both annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexintoronto View Post
    No he's not - it's not in the Sports Section apparently. Email her mom - she's an editor at the Globe I think. Cecily Ross.

I checked the website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone here has completey misinterpreted her article. Her point is that the fear of 'hooliganism' in Toronto is unfounded, that when things turned from "reasonable to rowdy" it boiled over into a single fight across a table, whereas in London "it ended with fights, arrests and six subway stops being closed".

In England, the football culture is represented by "roving bands of agitated males, skin yellowed by cigarettes, eyes shot red by booze," who "stagger through the streets at all hours singing, shouting and picking fights with anyone who crosses their path." Whereas in Toronto "by contrast" our fans left the stadium with "no riots, no stabbings and no boozing reported on the GO train".

She's pointing out our "tepidness" and praising us for it, marking it as a characteristic of being Canadian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I think everyone here has completey misinterpreted her article. Her point is that the fear of 'hooliganism' in Toronto is unfounded, that when things turned from "reasonable to rowdy" it boiled over into a single fight across a table, whereas in London "it ended with fights, arrests and six subway stops being closed".

In England, the football culture is represented by "roving bands of agitated males, skin yellowed by cigarettes, eyes shot red by booze," who "stagger through the streets at all hours singing, shouting and picking fights with anyone who crosses their path." Whereas in Toronto "by contrast" our fans left the stadium with "no riots, no stabbings and no boozing reported on the GO train".

She's pointing out our "tepidness" and praising us for it, marking it as a characteristic of being Canadian.
    Nice try...

It is this sort of emotional repression that leads to hooliganism - the modern cultural equivalent of tribal warfare. And while Torontonians haven't had much need for such histrionics in the past, I worry that Toronto FC fans might be out to change all that
    There's not mis-reading that is going on with this piece of shit article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has to be one of the most retarded things I have read in a long time. How did she get a job at The Globe? It felt like I was reading some college newspaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice try...

Quote:
    It is this sort of emotional repression that leads to hooliganism - the modern cultural equivalent of tribal warfare. And while Torontonians haven't had much need for such histrionics in the past, I worry that Toronto FC fans might be out to change all that
    There's not mis-reading that is going on with this piece of shit article.
    Read the previous paragraph, the "emotional repression that leads to hooliganism" is a characteristic of Britons and while she initially fears that "Toronto FC fans might be out the change all that" she concludes with the opposing view that we're not like them ("there were no riots, no stabbings and no boozing reported on the GO train."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post

I checked the website.
    http://www.feedsfarm.com/article/85d...fe911d25d.html

What all daughters know: The mother is the message A woman's trickiest relationship is with her mom. Globe editor CECILY ROSS and writer daughter LEAH McLAREN find out why.
    Someone above mentioned her mother was an editor there - looks like she is. I don't know if it's HER editor - but I guess we know who such a useless "journalist" got the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    who the fuck in Toronto doesn't lock the door?
    Exactly. I hate it when people try to present Canada as a peaceful heaven where no illegal activities ever occur. Its not realistic and its not needed. Relatively speaking, Canada is a very peaceful country and we don't need ridiculous statements such as these to prove it. If anyone leaves their door open in Toronto, it is purely out of laziness and/or ignorance and they deserve to get their belongings stolen.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, we boycotted the National Post for a while based on an idiotic anti-supporter article.

Now that the Globe has done the same thing, will we respond again in kind?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shes such a rat, im surprised the CBC has not hired her she'd fit in there!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These reporters don't have a fuckin' clue about Hooliganism.

My interpretation

Supporting your team, standing, singing, chanting = Hooliganism

Sorry I'm not the boring, sit down, I paid $409826834509768354 for my tickets, "you only have one chant" Leafs Fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly guys, read the article again...do you really think she's saying "TFC fans are hooligans" then provide no examples of our hooligan behaviour, then goes out of her way to point out "there were no riots, no stabbings and no boozing reported on the GO train"?

What she's saying is that when she first came home from England where she witnessed "yob" culture is that she was worried that our footy club might produce the same problemed fan base. She then points out the differences between England and Canada - "Canadians, for instance, tend to become friendlier after we have a few drinks, whereas Brits tend to get meaner" - and provides an example to illustrate her point. When things go from "reasonable to rowdy" in Canada it amounted to a single almost fight which was broken up. By contrast, when things got out of hand in England "it ended with fights, arrests and six subway stops being closed".

Read the last paragraphs -

Toronto, by contrast, beat Los Angeles in a soccer match. I could hear the car horns bleating victory all the way up the Gardiner Expressway. There were no riots, no stabbings and no boozing reported on the GO train back to Oakville.

Toronto's emerging soccer hooligans are Canadian after all: They went home to watch the hockey game.

The use of the term "hooligans" is obviously facetious - you don't call someone a 'hooligan' with any degree of seriousness while you're point out how all the fans went home well behaved after the match.

If she was actually writting the type of hack-piece that everyone seems to think she is about TFC fans being actual hooligans, or even warning about the potential we have of becoming hooligans you can be sure she would have mentioned the church-peing in Columbus, the quotes by Columbus police about various disturbances, the well documented reports of damage being done to Go Trains, the fights after the Montreal game and she would have tied TFC fans in with the greater problems of hooliganism within the MLS - the racist comment caught on tape, the bannana throwing, the fights between Chivas and Galaxy fans etc. but there was none of that, was there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CretanBull is right on this. This article is a somewhat sarcastic comparison of the respectable Canadian fan when compared with the hooliganism of other countries. It is not a very well written piece if it creates this kind of controversy on a supporters board. It does show that there is not a great regard for the sensitivity of this issue amongst the supporters groups, especially when you consider the increased police presence we have seen at BMO over the last few weeks. The police appear to think we are headed into the depths of hooliganism.

She might have got the point across better had she compared us to the Montreal Canadiens playoff hooligans.......

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I got to say is:
    http://www.leahmclaren.ca/Author.html
    She's pretty cute.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    CretanBull is right on this. This article is a somewhat sarcastic comparison of the respectable Canadian fan when compared with the hooliganism of other countries. It is not a very well written piece if it creates this kind of controversy on a supporters board. It does show that there is not a great regard for the sensitivity of this issue amongst the supporters groups, especially when you consider the increased police presence we have seen at BMO over the last few weeks. The police appear to think we are headed into the depths of hooliganism.

She might have got the point across better had she compared us to the Montreal Canadiens playoff hooligans.......

Plus, she even stated that she's not that big of a sports fan so her knowledge of the English hooligan as compared to the average TFC season ticket holder is based on small events and probably other peoples opinions. I also look at it this way. TFC was in the LIFESTYLE section....not the sports page. Either way you look at it we are creeping into the psyche of all walks of life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think she is like every fucken journalist in this.A bunch of FUCKEN ASSHOLES.I swear sometimes I think these fuckers get together and on purpose are trying to bury the TFC. This is one reason why I dont read the regular papers anymore. If I want news I just go to soccer specific web sites.Every time these Cunts write article about the TFC or soccer in general,we should just fucken flood them with e-mails.Maybe eventually they will get the message!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She looks like the kind of girl we refer to at the match as "a wasted ticket"... you know the one... not watching the game, complaining about the weather.... generally fucking useless.... you know the type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyeddo View Post

She looks like the kind of girl we refer to at the match as "a wasted ticket"... you know the one... not watching the game, complaining about the weather.... generally fucking useless.... you know the type.
    Oh, Don't I ever.