Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:canofworms:

needs an icon.

This has too many angles to even think about right now. I'd hate to question his commitment to TFC, and the city council backup is still a problem.. do you think this could be a PR move to get some focus on the issue?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    :canofworms:

needs an icon.

This has too many angles to even think about right now. I'd hate to question his commitment to TFC, and the city council backup is still a problem.. do you think this could be a PR move to get some focus on the issue?
    This is where I was leaning when I read it. DeRo wants grass and if he can turn up the heat a bit by using the media and his interviews; then great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

globe is crap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say good for him and the cause. Im sure it was discussed open the signing of the contract and I support him 100% Do it right and the city stands to make more money from it as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure Dero wants to stay and wants grass but I would not be shocked if he left if we dont get grass...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id hope he does to prove a point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew this was coming.
    I absolutely positively unequivocally knew the day he signed with us that if they didn't get grass in a timely manner he would threaten to walk.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well, it had to happen TBH and what a time to have it happen...still, what is the delay?
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds more to me like a reporter asked him a very pointed question, and DeRo answered it with something other than an unequivocal "no". My guess is that this is more or less a non-story.

Wow, if turf was affecting the longevity of his career, he would consider leaving? What a scoop.

One interesting bit from this story though, is DeRo's pretty obvious naivete with how municipal politics work:

“They obviously have a contract with the city, which is fair enough, but I think soccer's come to a point where even the city itself has got to say, listen, we've generated so much money, we've created so much outlet for fans and kids and opportunities for kids, let's do it right. Regardless of the contract, let's rip it up and do it right."

That isn't how it works, DeRo. Joey Pants could care less about the "fans and kids". No municipal government is ever going to just "rip up" a contract involving incredibly valuable government land in the heart of downtown, and "do it right" for altruistic reasons.

Anyway, with everything I've heard this season, and with all of the pressure being put on MLSE from supporters and players alike, I'm 90% confident that grass will be done as soon as this winter. Money doesn't solve everything, but it certainly clears most of the political hurdles.

And DeRo won't be going anywhere, even if grass isn't in place for opening day next season.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"I don't think money's an issue,” he said. “We saw how they put [grass] down for one game against Real Madrid so I don't even want to hear that money's an issue."

That one statement tells me that he is most likely speaking for the entire team in voicing his frustrations with being treated as a second class citizen by his club.

This is a by-product of the Real Madrid treatment. Their careers and health were important enough to truck in grass because of the money generated. The message sent to our guys was loud and clear and they are sending their own message back, publicly.

No issue at all with what is said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    "I don't think money's an issue,” he said. “We saw how they put [grass] down for one game against Real Madrid so I don't even want to hear that money's an issue."

That one statement tells me that he is most likely speaking for the entire team in voicing his frustrations with being treated as a second class citizen by his club.

This is a by-product of the Real Madrid treatment. Their careers and health were important enough to truck in grass because of the money generated. The message sent to our guys was loud and clear and they are sending their own message back, publicly.

No issue at all with what is said.
    So did RM pay for the grass or not? I read previous they paid for it out of their appearance fees, is this incorrect? Did they perhaps increase their appearance fee to pay for the grass to make TFC look better?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    So did RM pay for the grass or not? I read previous they paid for it out of their appearance fees, is this incorrect? Did they perhaps increase their appearance fee to pay for the grass to make TFC look better?
    I think any way that the deal went down, it would have spin all over it.

The only real truth is that RM made natural grass a condition of the deal and our side said sure.

Ultimately, both sides figured out what they would make and factored in the cost. I would imagine that if there was to be spin, MLSE would want it such that "RM paid for the grass."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think he's bluffing.

When DeRo came, I wasn't too sure about him, I don't love the chicken dancing.

But his on field performance, and his leadership on this grass issue, make him a true star, for me. The fact that he's from here is almost incidental, other than the stature it gives him.

It will be a long time before we see his like again, if he leaves.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BIG NEWS...

I support DERO 100% on this... he is man enough to place himself in front of the firing squad over this issue.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    BIG NEWS...

I support DERO 100% on this... he is man enough to place himself in front of the firing squad over this issue.
    I think we all support DeRo on this issue, I wonder how much flack he gets behind the scenes for speaking his mind on this so regularly? It is strange that he is the most outspoken of all of the players. To me it seems as if he is the one left to speak on behalf of the players and their wishes, I would have thought it should be the job of the captain to do this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    When you carry the team like DeRo has this year... he has the right to be outspoken... DeRo is the original Bandelero =P
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post

PB posted that TFC paid for the grass ... the City seems to be the roadblock not sure why RM and FO get so much hate over this?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support DeRo 100% and if it comes down to it and he leaves because of the pitch then I will still support him 100%.

Hes only got a few more seasons left and playing them out on the turf will leave him with even fewer.

Maybe he was promised grass in some kind of verbal agreement.

Either way, gotta love DeRo. Hes like having one of the fans on the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedMAN127 View Post
    PB posted that TFC paid for the grass ... the City seems to be the roadblock not sure why RM and FO get so much hate over this?
    Is this for certain? I read in the Toronto papers that OLE OLE paid for the turf!

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post
    Is this for certain? I read in the Toronto papers that OLE OLE paid for the turf!
    Search for his post, read it, and then call him a liar if you don't believe him. Its all there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Search for his post, read it, and then call him a liar if you don't believe him. Its all there.
    WOW. Who called anyone a liar? Cheer up eh! NO thanks for your help!

CHEERS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Oh is it? You need to calm down and not jump on people, he called no one a liar, and he remembered correctly, read:

"The $250,000 natural grass that Ole Ole Promotions paid for as per Madrid's demand, is going to get pulled up by tomorrow, but will be donated to three Toronto public schools, Keele, Morrish and Harbord Collegiate."

Article here:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soc...98576-sun.html

The permanent grass will cost > 3 million with the heating systems and other work needed to make it permanent and keep it healthy. Much more than 250k for the temp surface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it isnt a PR move... can I ask why he wanted to come here so badly in the first place?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    if it isnt a PR move... can I ask why he wanted to come here so badly in the first place?
    I still think it's PR, but he may have come not knowing the extent to which the turf would effect his health/game. And may have been further put off by the grass coming in for RM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I hope this helps push the city, the team, and everyone else involved in this to get the grass in this year...

I say good for deRo - he's using his weight as our top player to get people going...

I know these can be sticky things (saying I'm leaving if no etc etc etc) but he's pressing the issue for the betterment of the team - that's a good thing IMO...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Sounds more to me like a reporter asked him a very pointed question, and DeRo answered it with something other than an unequivocal "no". My guess is that this is more or less a non-story.

Wow, if turf was affecting the longevity of his career, he would consider leaving? What a scoop.

One interesting bit from this story though, is DeRo's pretty obvious naivete with how municipal politics work:

“They obviously have a contract with the city, which is fair enough, but I think soccer's come to a point where even the city itself has got to say, listen, we've generated so much money, we've created so much outlet for fans and kids and opportunities for kids, let's do it right. Regardless of the contract, let's rip it up and do it right."

That isn't how it works, DeRo. Joey Pants could care less about the "fans and kids". No municipal government is ever going to just "rip up" a contract involving incredibly valuable government land in the heart of downtown, and "do it right" for altruistic reasons.

Anyway, with everything I've heard this season, and with all of the pressure being put on MLSE from supporters and players alike, I'm 90% confident that grass will be done as soon as this winter. Money doesn't solve everything, but it certainly clears most of the political hurdles.

And DeRo won't be going anywhere, even if grass isn't in place for opening day next season.

- Scott
    He understands how municipal politics works just fine.

You may need the refresher. It's as complicated and simple as one wants to make it. It's that simple. Pantalone wants to be an ass. If he was a cool guy he could look for solutions to make it happen instead of circling the wagons looking for roadblocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I still think it's PR, but he may have come not knowing the extent to which the turf would effect his health/game. And may have been further put off by the grass coming in for RM.
    I do as well. I think DeRo is making use of his image and stature as the best player on the team AND being from the area to help get grass for the team. Remember how everyone says he so competitive even in practice and hates to lose? Might this simply not be his latest attempt to help the team win? Grass installed means it's easier on the health, easier to play on because players are used to it, easier to attract new players, etc.

I think DeRo would only walk away if there were a grave threat to his health caused by the turf.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As always, good on DeRo for not being afraid to open his mouth for the better of the team. Dude wanted to come here. If he is saying this now that tells you something.

Forget blaming the city, grass will happen if MLSE ponies up the cash and takes care of the city's demand for a community use facility and whatever else is needed. If they cheap out we are fucked, no one is gonna come here if DeRo splits.

FO has to step up and treat the players with respect. Since the beginning in year 2 interest has been declining with each passing month. At the rate they are going, without change TFC will be playing in front of 12k within 3 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if the team assured him grass was coming soon as a stipulation for bringing him to play here and now he is seeing that it might take a longer time to get it installed then they originally promised him.