Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

merged threads.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw highlights...DeRo goal, ladies and gents, is textbook crossing and how to finish it. Please repeat. Again and again!

DC seemed to have taken the friendly a bit too seriously -- and now they could face a hefty penalty for it, what with losing to us today and a game in El Salvador mid-week for CCL.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    The team as a whole played well today.
    Sanyang wasen't too hot the first half but got better as the game wore on.

As much as I really like the guy, I think the time is rapidly approaching where we will have to part ways with Mr. Robinson.

My only other problem was that I was pretty disappointed with all the time wasting from the Gambian kids. Sanyang in particular.
    I felt it was an imbarrassment to our team.
    How come everyone's calling it time-wasting? Just because they didn't have to get subbed off? Looked like they were injured to me especially the times Sanyang got cleated in the thigh and the ankle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    When I read these remarks I wonder if I was at the same game as some of you. First Deroe ran all day as usual, yes, he miscued occsionally, but he had numerous runs at full speed and taking on the defender in many instances won the ball and created his own chances without any support esp from Vitti. I like Vitti, but today he was basicaly in a trance..so many times he was out of position not defending or ready for a pass, He should hace been substituted by Dichio...at the 65 min mark...(or Gala)
    That's funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedchinaman View Post
    Saw highlights...DeRo goal, ladies and gents, is textbook crossing and how to finish it. Please repeat. Again and again!

DC seemed to have taken the friendly a bit too seriously -- and now they could face a hefty penalty for it, what with losing to us today and a game in El Salvador mid-week for CCL.
    The thing I really liked about that goal was the way that Brennan's well placed cross-field ball opened up DC and led to the goal. Too often the team gets stuck in making two or three passes to switch the point of attack when they really just need to use one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cronin

It has been said already, but he deserves it to be said again, Cronin was a MONSTER today. A fantastic game at both ends, and a perfect cross for the goal, hell even I could have finished that! Everything offensively went through Cronin down the right wing.

Not enough has been said about Frei, a great game for him, composure and big saves when needed.

I'm not usually a Robbo fan, but he had a good first half in my books, sub at half surprised me.

DeRo is a hero to me, but he played like shite today. As someone said he looked like Barrett on that breakaway, and held onto the ball too long on other occassions. The goal was a great touch, but not enough to be MOTM.

MOTM was Nana.. HUGE game for the youngster. Excited to see him and Jakovic playing together for Canada.

Cheers
    See you in Seattle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barca99 View Post
    It has been said already, but he deserves it to be said again, Cronin was a MONSTER today. A fantastic game at both ends, and a perfect cross for the goal, hell even I could have finished that! Everything offensively went through Cronin down the right wing.

Dead on. He had three absolutely dead-perfect weighted through balls today that caused DC all sorts of problems and several very dangerous crosses. Plus, he won balls going forward and back. He's turning into a hell of a player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dag View Post
    Just got back and about to eat supper, but I must say an absolutely vital 3 points won today. Despite our poor passing and ball control (thank God Robinson was removed at half), the back four were pretty solid; De Ro was brilliant; White was very good; and, perhaps most important, DC United didn't even show up.
    Which game were you watching?

De Ro scored a great goal but that was his only contribution to the game. He has been playing below his best for 3 or 4 games now and hopefully he improves soon because we are going to need him to make the play offs.

The young guys stepped up today and the older guys (DeRo included) will be benched if they don't perform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than anything Im shocked to see people saying Robbo had a good half.
    He was absolute shite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big win. If they did not get 3 points today, the playoffs were likely out the window. With today's 3 points, I'd say that TFC's playoff hopes move into the "Solid Maybe" category

The young lineup was refreshing to see. I'm not sure that lineup gives TFC the best chance to win week in-week out but it worked today. It also sent out a clear message to the veterans on the team that there are young players who will give a good effort and sometimes effort will be rewarded over talent.

Alot of credit has to be given to the pharmacist who accidently spiked DCU's water with Somonex because they looked totally asleep out there today.

Also, was it me or was the turf worse than usual? It was clear some DC players were having difficulty with it.

Best Player: Nana

Worst: they won so hard to accuse anyone of totally sucking but Sanyang was crap in 1st half and Robinson did not impress in his 45 minutes. Sanyang earned himself another game, IMO, with his 2nd half performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    Which game were you watching?

De Ro scored a great goal but that was his only contribution to the game. He has been playing below his best for 3 or 4 games now and hopefully he improves soon because we are going to need him to make the play offs.

The young guys stepped up today and the older guys (DeRo included) will be benched if they don't perform.
    Lots of bad decisions coming from DeRo the last while and too much play on the periphery for my liking but he has been producing at least. I can't imagine the impact when he's playing at his best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC RealDeal RPB View Post
    Gomez- 6.5 - I think he had a good game, made some good tackle and nice passing iwould give him a 7.5

Brennan 7 - I think he's time is coming to a end,he made at least 5 or 6 bad pass' to nobody, Gomez had to keep covering for him cause he was out of postion and he's to slow.I gave him a 6
    Say what you will about Brennan but the DeRo goal doesn't happen without Brennan picking up the loose ball near midfield, being poised and waiting for Cronin to start his run and then playing it up perfectly into Cronin's path for him to cross to DeRo for the header.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    he looked pretty injured to me, also just watched the game in 60 minutes, still looked pretty injured
    He got spiked pretty good by Jakovic. The MLSnet highlight pack shows it pretty clearly. Dejan slides, misses the ball and takes out Sanyang's legs.

2:38

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.js...ent_id=6112631

Cummins discusses the incident in his post-match presser:
    http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.js...ent_id=6112631

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robert32 View Post
    dero 7?? he was prety awful tonight, definatly not better then vitti.. even though he scored

how does one miss a breakaway? then break in with only a touch need to pass on for a goal attempt and he put it way ahead of his teammate?
    player of the month

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nana looked awsome today! Very happy about the win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sanyang looked much better when Robinson was off, in fact the entire team looked much better when Robinson was off. What does that tell you? Robinson is the problem, he doesn't suit the technical players on our team, i.e Dero, Guevara, Vitti and soon the Gambians. What disturbs me more is his positioning off of the ball when we're on offence. Notice how in the 2nd half we got so many crisp passing plays together, it was due to the fact that our inner mids knew where to be to receive the ball.

He plays too far back in the final third and it does us no good when we're outnumbered. I mean if he ever gets the ball usually due to a clearance. That's what defenders are for.

Dero, great player, terrible first touch on the ball today and his distribution and corners were atrocious.. Does too much, but sometimes you can't blame him.

The kids won us this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts:

DC controlled a lot of the game, they were camped in the Toronto half, especially in the period after the halftime and before the second goal.

Vitti should look at Christian Gomez for the player he should try and be in this league. Worlds apart. Vitti's first touch is often surprisingly terrible, and the midfield is very soft with he and Guevera in there.

One of the best performances by a backline in TFC history. DC had all of the ball but nothing troubled Frei much.

Gala may not see another late game sub for a while after panicking and wasting possession twice in two or three minutes.

I like Jakovic, but he always seems to make one big mistake. His mistake this week led to the De Rosario breakaway miss. Its tough to be the only CB in a back three.

De Rosario was good and bad. One thing he does that bugs me is dribble into pressure a lot. He has to better know when to give the ball up versus composing himself to take people on. As a hint, the first should happen when his back is away from the goal, which is also forty yards away.

I think Cummins is throwing everything at the wall to see what works. Luckily, this is probably the most talented TFC team. Whether they will gel enough to make the playoffs is to be seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the criticism Sanyang is getting in this thread. This kid played a whale of a second half and I for one am thrilled by the possibilities for his future (hopefully with us for a long time). Think about the following before you start slagging him...

1) He's 18 years old
    2) He was making his first MLS start
    3) It was over 30 degrees on the plastic pitch and he played the full 90
    4) He was our DM in the second half and did mot miss a beat. Watch it again, I have. I can't remember seeing one miss step and we were defending a lead against a team of seasoned attackers. His mid field tackle of Jaime (puke) Moreno was as good an open field tackle as I have ever seen by a TFC player.
    5) He got hammered hard the first two times he went down and likely the third as well, but that one was harder to tell on tv (although he did have his boot ripped off his foot in that tackle. That second one by Simms should have been a straight red in my opinion. Studs up to the thigh...hard.

Perhaps this young man deserves some benefit of the doubt and support before you come down hard on him for time wasting in a game that he had a lot of impact in...that we won...and needed to win.

The kid played his ass off. Show some support!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today we needed three points.
    Today needed a watershed win.

Today we got three points.
    Today we won an ugly, ugly game.

Mission completed. Next!
    (I think?)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    More than anything Im shocked to see people saying Robbo had a good half.
    He was absolute shite.
    +1 -- and Robbo has been shite for quite a while. Something is bothering him, and TBH he might need some time to sort it out.

Come on Robbo, we know you can be much, MUCH, MUCH better than this.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defense was a thousand times better today - much more athletic, didn`t look troubled one bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    how does one miss a breakaway? then break in with only a touch need to pass on for a goal attempt and he put it way ahead of his teammate?
    player of the month
    Did you have think that maybe its not the people who chose the player of the month, or the club management and coaching staff or the rest of this forum?
    Yeah maybe its just you mighty.
    Face palm indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barrett would have lasted 10 mins in that heat. Cramp!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITs the shift in the overall team makeup. And the change, is making some people uneasy with the new look Tfc. So that being said if your favourite player isnt toeing the line expect his days to be numbered. then period?......I think thats how that goes. ahwell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC OZZ View Post
    Great performance, that was the first game in a LONG time that I actually felt like our back line was strong (I'm not a fan of Garcia). It was great to have the two African guys in the game, I thought they challenged DC for balls in the air that our other players in those positions never would.

My one negative about this game was the fact that the stretcher was brought out three times, and Sanyang was even carried off on it; and yet everyone was fine. I like to win, but I like to win with class.

i was screaming at them through the t.V of course.... i don't care how good they are or going to be if they are going to pull that kind of shit they can stay at home...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a cross by Sammy Cronin and perfect header by DeRo.

fantastic to see White get his first goal in his first start. sick!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
    I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the criticism Sanyang is getting in this thread. This kid played a whale of a second half and I for one am thrilled by the possibilities for his future (hopefully with us for a long time). Think about the following before you start slagging him...

1) He's 18 years old
    2) He was making his first MLS start
    3) It was over 30 degrees on the plastic pitch and he played the full 90
    4) He was our DM in the second half and did mot miss a beat. Watch it again, I have. I can't remember seeing one miss step and we were defending a lead against a team of seasoned attackers. His mid field tackle of Jaime (puke) Moreno was as good an open field tackle as I have ever seen by a TFC player.
    5) He got hammered hard the first two times he went down and likely the third as well, but that one was harder to tell on tv (although he did have his boot ripped off his foot in that tackle. That second one by Simms should have been a straight red in my opinion. Studs up to the thigh...hard.

Perhaps this young man deserves some benefit of the doubt and support before you come down hard on him for time wasting in a game that he had a lot of impact in...that we won...and needed to win.

The kid played his ass off. Show some support!
    i'm not saying that the tackles didn't hurt but he was time wasting big time..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attakora was huge. White did well. In general I think it is is time to allow our younger players to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    i'm not saying that the tackles didn't hurt but he was time wasting big time..
    The way I saw it, he was both hurt and exhausted. Guess I'm just choosing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hate to say it but it sounds like we could win the Cup and a number of you would be upset with how we did it.

The team played a solid game today and secured 3 points at home against an opponent that was ahead of them in the standings. They've moved up the table and kept their (and our) playoff hopes alive.

That's what was needed. That's what was done.... there should be much re-joicing.