Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is everybody blaming Columbus?

It's not like objects other than streamers, dont hit the pitch at BMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what am i to get from this?
    No more streamers right?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post
    Exactly.They cant ban the WHOLE south end now can they lol?

I had a bad feeling this was going to happen.

I asked a buddy of mine from the TFC staff if there was any concerns with the amount of streamers and objects being thrown on the pitch. He indicated that MLS would soon be taking a stand on the objects been thrown.

1)According to him this is the first step where fans will be told what is and isn't acceptable. If this doesn't work then they will move to step #2

2) Ban of all objects where fans will be ejected from the game if they don't comply. If this continues (i.e as you say they can't ban or eject the whole south end, they will move to step 3 or more drastic measures

3) Look at putting a screen netting behind the south side goal (i.e similar to baseball or hockey behind the nets). this would prevent people from throwing objects.

hopefully it doesn't come to this because I would hate to watch a game from the South end with a net screen between the fans and the pitch.

Hopefully TFC fans comply with the rules and regulations andit doesn't come to this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be surprised if MLS is more sensitive to being called out on PTI than any unwanted fan behavior. They're all about protecting the bottom line.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what will happen if people continue to throw streamers is a netting will be put up in the southend, they e will have to watch the match through that!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
    I can see it now...

When the visiting team is going to take a corner kick, a net begins to be erected like when a footbal team kicks the extra point...lol
    No, the net will be a permanent fixture, like it is at Saputo stadium.

Why do people scoff at the idea that a net could be used to 'protect' the players?

Every beer, plastic bottle, firework, smoke bomb, coin that hits the pitch at BMO, brings that reality just a bit closer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Why is everybody blaming Columbus?

It's not like objects other than streamers, dont hit the pitch at BMO.
    That's true and a good point, but people blame Columbus because the racist epithet shed a very large and uncomfortable spotlight on the entire situation. The link between the racist incident and the streamers, as I see it, is that someone threw a banana to the black New England player (Kheli Dubé, I think) to imply he was no better than an ape. The league couldn't ignore it, really and I think we all understand that, but we loathe Columbus as the catalyst for this.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember these items being thrown at BMO on the field, whiskey bottle, half filled
    coke bottles, roll of masking tape, flares, smoke bombs, so before we all gang up on columbus fans, lets get OUR HOSE in order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that sucks...
    thanks Columbus Village People for ruining it for the rest of us.
    Well theirs always CMNT and Voyageurs Cups and friendlies I suppose...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im all for flares, smoke candles, and what not in the stands. its really stupid to throw em at players though. I dont see how something that is basically the same as tissue paper, can be harmful for players. I guess mls is trying to say that streamers lead to something else like flares. Oh well, there goes the fun on corner kicks.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamplater35 View Post
    Im all for flares, smoke candles, and what not in the stands. its really stupid to throw em at players though. I dont see how something that is basically the same as tissue paper, can be harmful for players. I guess mls is trying to say that streamers lead to something else like flares. Oh well, there goes the fun on corner kicks.

flares , smoke candles bother people, and no one need to deal with that,
    light them off in your back yard if your a pyro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    i remember these items being thrown at BMO on the field, whiskey bottle, half filled
    coke bottles, roll of masking tape, flares, smoke bombs, so before we all gang up on columbus fans, lets get OUR HOSE in order.
    Point is, even though these may or may not have all or individually taken place at one point or another this or last season at BMO, MLS decided that what happened at Columbus was something that they could not just turn their heads at, it seems like it is almost the final straw for them and now they have to deal with it. This is most likely due to some of the players who had racial slurs directed at them during the corner, or while proceeding away from the corner, contacting MLS and stating their grievances to them about the situation which took place at Crew stadium. It would be a shame to have to put a net or fence up at BMO, I've personally never liked seeing them around the south American stadiums, and old English ones as well. It makes the fans look like uncontrollable animals. It kind of looks cool but at the same time, it would be unnecessary for it to have to be put into place, most of you in the south end i would assume know each other by now? Or at least recognize the same faces? You should be able to find the people who are dumb enough to be throwing the bottles of alcohol on the field and other such things, you should talk to them at least and if it is a reoccurring behavior, security is only a couple rows down. I am not one to "rat" on somebody, but when one's stupid actions are bringing harm to how everyone in the stadium is used to enjoying the games, then i say let the individual pay for his own actions, and we shall continue to support TFC the way we know how, in the most respectable fashion towards the players as humanly possible...minus a couple slips of the middle finger...well...alot of intentional slips of the middle finger and a couple of fuck yous...amongst other unique remarks lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, its in my euro roots. Ill just make more trips to wisla krakow games and light em off there!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought that throwing streamers at the opposing keeper on a TFC free kick was not exactly fair. RSL had a case that we unfairly interfered with Rimando on the Robert goal.

But I'd like to see the corner kick streamer shower continue - opposing fans are welcome to do it too.

I'm keeping my avatar no matter what they do!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if we tie an elastic to the end of the streamer so that when it unrolls it goes right up to the player then rolls right back up to our wrist like a yoyo...

There's no way they'll ban that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't care less about streamers and I'm certainly not surprised to see MLS trying to take the fun out of everything. What next? No standing and singing? No flags because somebody can't see the pitch? Laughing stock of a league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we need to get the entire upper level to throw streamers next game....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan69 View Post
    I couldn't care less about streamers and I'm certainly not surprised to see MLS trying to take the fun out of everything. What next? No standing and singing? No flags because somebody can't see the pitch? Laughing stock of a league.

they are not trying to the fun out, just return the game to normal.
    the streamers were ok the first year,but now we have a good team to
    support, the streamers are no longer welcomed, can you see throwing this stuff at the ACC? how long before you got your asses booted out?
    MLS is trying to get respect and not cater to the kiddie antics of some of the
    supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    they are not trying to the fun out, just return the game to normal.
    the streamers were ok the first year,but now we have a good team to
    support, the streamers are no longer welcomed, can you see throwing this stuff at the ACC? how long before you got your asses booted out?
    MLS is trying to get respect and not cater to the kiddie antics of some of the
    supporters.
    MLS is trying to seperate itself from nba,mlb and nhl. Theyre trying to promote north american footy as a complete different and better atmosphere for fans compared to other american sports. And i wouldnt call streamer showers kiddie antics, because if thats kiddie antics, what are the real antics? The shit that euro hooligans pull? Different teams have their own traditions in their leagues, we started this one, i dont see why this should be taking away from us, until a tfc fan pulls the same thing the columbus fans did. Personally, and i hope our supporter group leaders argue this, we shouldnt be punished for something we didnt do, because no away players have been hurt by something we threw!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the bigger problem are the bottles and crap being thrown on the field. If MLSE were smart, they would do what almost all arenas, at least in the states, do. Put the beer and the pop/soda in cups instead of leaving it in the bottles. A cup is a hell of a lot harder to throw onto the pitch then a bottle. That could eliminate some of the problems that I see with the throwing of things at least.
    [B]75 Mile Bastards[/B]
    [B]Tailgate Team[/B] [B]Underling[/B]
    [B]Season Ticket Holder 110 Row 33 Seat 9[/B] [B]aka The Bastards' Perch[/B]
    [B]Red Patch Boy through and through. :scarf:[/B][SIZE=6][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad its gonna be the fans who get screwed over instead the club and league making some small changes to fix it, great suggestion by tfcviabuffalo. Don Garber said he and mls officials will do their best to take Stadium atmosphere to a higher level without throwing stuff on the pitch. What about getting some more conveners, so half the stadium isnt out of their seats waiting for their beer for half the game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny they zone in on the Crew, but I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that we have a full house for every game and they don't. Also, the Toronto FC product is growing, so the situation here is still a bit sensitive. An example of this would be the tv ratings. Right now it appears more people want to go to games for the experience than those who want to go and also watch on tv. My point is, maybe MLS doesn't want to piss us off too much and risk losing fans. I doubt a streamer issue would do this, but why take any chances.

As for the issue of a ban. Seriously, the league has been getting a shitload of bad press on the issue. Yes, some have supported it and players are included, but when people like that PTI dick call the league below bush it's a problem. It's bad press and when a league it trying to grow comments like that are a shot in the nads.

I bring streamers to the games. Being in row 27 of 105 I can't hit the pitch because the streamers don't have that length. I do not want to see this go, but if it happens, so be it.

A net on the south end? Like they don't get it during corners in the north?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    we need to get the entire upper level to throw streamers next game....
    I like this idea!

Streamers raining down from the 200s.

For you guys that are sooooo bent on the "European" feel...this is more "European" than streamers in the corners. I would love to see this.

And frankly, I hope TFC gives us a little slack on activity in the stands if we are not allowed to throw streamers. Maybe turning a blind eye to a little "smoke" action perhaps? I always preferred that to streamers anyways.

But I called this a long time ago. I liked the streamers, but it was plain to see the numbskulls around us were simply not going to be able to control themselves and stuff has been flying out of the stands on a regular basis. Of course, it took a racist idiot from Columbus to finally break the camel's back. Thanks for that Columbus. Not only are you a blight on the league attendance figures, but now you are costing us some fun in the stands.

Columbus fans should be apologizing to every team out there that was creating atmosphere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is exactly what mls shouldnt be doing, especially when theres an attendance problem through out the league, as some one said before, more people come to the games for the atmosphere, then to totally watch the game, as the tv ratings indicate. I think attendance will drop even more after this ban.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    ...it took a racist idiot from Columbus to finally break the camel's back. Thanks for that Columbus. Not only are you a blight on the league attendance figures, but now you are costing us some fun in the stands.

Columbus fans should be apologizing to every team out there that was creating atmosphere.
    Yup, exactly 100% my sentiments. They're an embarrassment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is exactly what mls shouldnt be doing, especially when theres an attendance problem through out the league, as some one said before, more people come to the games for the atmosphere, then to totally watch the game, as the tv ratings indicate. I think attendance will drop even more after this ban.
    Honestly, it's the atmosphere that got the crazy idea in my head to make the drive and have seasons. But the last couple of games, the throwing stuff has gotten out of hand. I throw my streamers from my seat on goals and the second after kick off.(Honestly, I'm not sure on the exact "right time" before the game. Someone let me know.) The atmosphere of the chanting alone does wonders for us and, trust me, it's starting to bleed over into the "prawn" sections. If the corner streamers are barred, but the celebratory ones stay, then great. But, let's not act like everyone is on their best behavior and streamers distracting during play not in the corners isn't happening. It's gotten more prevalent the last two games and THAT is what makes it look worse then it is.

And Columbus still sucks.
    [B]75 Mile Bastards[/B]
    [B]Tailgate Team[/B] [B]Underling[/B]
    [B]Season Ticket Holder 110 Row 33 Seat 9[/B] [B]aka The Bastards' Perch[/B]
    [B]Red Patch Boy through and through. :scarf:[/B][SIZE=6][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ban it who cares, ill still throw and if my brothers and sisters wont rat me out how will they know, better then a flare on the field , rules are ment to be broken and if the masses still do it nothin will happen! end of story

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    No, the net will be a permanent fixture, like it is at Saputo stadium.

Why do people scoff at the idea that a net could be used to 'protect' the players?

Every beer, plastic bottle, firework, smoke bomb, coin that hits the pitch at BMO, brings that reality just a bit closer.
    screw it we will throw it over it, or move up to the top section, guys the stuff happens all over the south american leagues, mls knows where there money is and right now where the #2 team payin the bills, so the whole net thing will never happen!, if your a fan all about rules ok, but if your a passonite fan do what u want rules or not! and again END OF STORY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is trying to seperate itself from nba,mlb and nhl. Theyre trying to promote north american footy as a complete different and better atmosphere for fans compared to other american sports. And i wouldnt call streamer showers kiddie antics, because if thats kiddie antics, what are the real antics? The shit that euro hooligans pull? Different teams have their own traditions in their leagues, we started this one, i dont see why this should be taking away from us, until a tfc fan pulls the same thing the columbus fans did. Personally, and i hope our supporter group leaders argue this, we shouldnt be punished for something we didnt do, because no away players have been hurt by something we threw!
    AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm still not 100% for the mls so yeah sure take away the streamer i just will stay home or go to the bar to watch and supporter tfc but mls can go fuck them seft the mls will not last with out the supporter like us