Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default MLS Commissioner's Statement on Streamers and Objects Thrown on the Pitch

I just received this from Toronto FC's front office.

Supporters groups' leaders will be meeting with the front office on Thursday June 12th and there will be MLS officials present at the meeting.

Major League Soccer Commissioner Issues Statement
    Regarding Thrown Objects in Columbus on May 24
    NEW YORK (Friday, June 6, 2008) – Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber issued the following statement today regarding the Columbus at the Crew versus Revolution game on May 24.

“MLS has conducted an investigation into events occurring at the game between the Columbus Crew and the New England Revolution on May 24th at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. During that game, objects were thrown onto the field by spectators on a number of occasions, in some cases striking players on the field of play. A number of fans were ejected by security staff as a result of these actions.

As a consequence of this review, MLS and its teams will take the following steps:

1. MLS and its clubs will undertake a comprehensive review of security measures in each MLS facility to ensure that sufficient measures are taken to prevent fans from throwing objects from the stands at players or officials on the field. Additionally, MLS teams and stadiums will fully communicate to all fans attending MLS games the League’s policy that spectators in breach will be ejected and prohibited from attending future games.

2. MLS has reviewed the increasingly coordinated use of streamers at some MLS stadiums to affect play, particularly as a distraction to visiting players as they attempt to take corner kicks. MLS teams will communicate to their supporter groups MLS’s existing policy – that streamers are not to be used to impact on-field competition or thrown toward a player, referee or stadium staff member. While the spontaneous use of streamers and confetti as an expression of fan enthusiasm will not be prohibited, the continued practice will be kept under review. Should issues continue regarding the use of streamers, MLS will have no option but to prohibit streamers.”
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...interesting and somewhat alarming. Keep us informed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i see.

First warning.
    in writing, Black and White.

At least they aren't doing an outright ban.
    as the occasional streamer popping out of the crowd looks awesome.
    I guess they just don't want to the TFC Streamer Storm that Blanco got.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yb7C_pKF8bc

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't cry if they make us stop throwing streamers on corners kicks.
    Not that I think it's all that bad... I just wouldn't feel my experience is diminished by the absence of streamer showers.

But I do want to see streamers continue in a celebratory way.
    ...after anthem... after goals... end of game and such.

If they decide to do away with the "showers", then hopefully the are gradual with the punishment for law-breakers.
    1. If they inform all fans that they will enforce the "non-streamer shower" rule
    2. First offence gets you kicked out
    3. Second offence get maybe a 1 or two game ban
    4. Third strike your out...
    Last edited by flatpicker; 06-06-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can already see where this is going...ban will come soon enough.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It means don't throw them on the pitch. I'm going to move this to the public forum so everyone who uses the board can see it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks racist Columbus Douche Bags.
    way to ruin it for the rest of us.
    the class you exude is an example for all of us.

I can't wait until your team moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ban isn't far off. So I think it's time for the "streamer day" TIFO.

If they're going to go out....might as well do it in style. That includes one last corner...the corner to end all corners. Just make sure it's not the corner that gets them banned. Once the ban is in place...what is MLS going to do if the whole south stand throws a streamer?
    Last edited by Marc"2L"; 06-06-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    Ban isn't far off. So I think it's time for the "streamer day" TIFO.

If they're going to go out....might as well do it in style. That includes one last corner...the corner to end all corners. Just make sure it's not the corner that gets them banned. Once the ban is in place...what is MLS going to do if the whole south stand throws a streamer?

Exactly.They cant ban the WHOLE south end now can they lol?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fair enough. nothing said in the statement is unjust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep us posted! it only takes one idiot to screw up the fun for all of us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they take Streamers away, come back with Flares and Smoke Bombs!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw, I don't throw any streamers at players, I throw them at the corner flags and advertisement boards!
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

olegunnar

I bet the linesman that got a wet rolled up streamer in the side of the head last Saturday is happy now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that streamers are not to be used to impact on-field competition or thrown toward a player, referee or stadium staff member.
    Sounds to me like the only people we'll be allowed to streamer are cops, paramedics and visiting supporters. Ohh...and ourselves.

Personally I love the atmosphere the streamers bring to the stadium and even though I see no link between streamers and racist comments, it's unfortunate that the streamers will soon come to an end. At least we got some good videos out of it!

Lets stay on the leading edge an come up with the next great thing! I say a mass mooning of players doing corner kicks would surely throw them off their game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then I guess they'll have to ban streamers. I don't see people not throwing them during corners. Even if/when they're banned they'll still be thrown.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The message I see there is: Throw them, just not onto the pitch during play (a corner kick being "during play").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurignano View Post
    Exactly.They cant ban the WHOLE south end now can they lol?
    Of course they could...but they wouldn't dare.

Here's the pecking order in MLS

Money > everything else..including rules.
    If a team can turn a profit by bending one or two "little rules" that the normal MLS crowd didn't even know existed they will.

Now I'm not saying we should..because according to BMO...our loyalty runs deep..but if the whole of the south end (and supporters elsewhere around the stadium) decided not to show up because of a streamer ban....MLS would come up with some rule about how because Toronto has "authentic soccer fans" we'll be allowed streamers. I can't see MLS turning down money because some players don't like getting tissue paper around their legs.

This doesn't apply to throwing other things at all however. Don't get me wrong...throwing ANYTHING other then a streamer is stupid.
    Last edited by Marc"2L"; 06-06-2008 at 03:02 PM.

olegunnar

The thing about streamers is they incorporated the "newbies" in the game.

Streamers to me are like a "this is our house" or a "na na na na good bye" chant. Not really relevant, but something the "newbie" picked up quickly and really liked.

It made them feel a part of the action even if the ideas of singing and chanting and TIFOs were all foreign to them.
    Last edited by olegunnar; 06-06-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that kinda sucks I always saw the streamers as a non-violent alternative. And BTW this is bull the whole reason people show up to the stadium is because they feel their presence will positively affect their teams performance and/or negatively affect the opposition. So what do we ban next chanting? Applauding? Watching?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people are still going to throw things, if its not streamers, someone will find an alternative.
    Animals Eaten:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    people are still going to throw things, if its not streamers, someone will find an alternative.
    Exactly and maybe we should ask Dida what they might throw?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just wouldn't be that worried about it if it does get banned. i like to think that our support is a little beyond a one dimensional paper throwing contest. we are better than that. yes its funny and looks cool, but it doesn't define us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    i just wouldn't be that worried about it if it does get banned. i like to think that our support is a little beyond a one dimensional paper throwing contest. we are better than that. yes its funny and looks cool, but it doesn't define us.
    Exactly but its part of our identity and it got us on PTI which never has anything to do with the beautiful game

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Croatia View Post
    If they take Streamers away, come back with Flares and Smoke Bombs!!
    ah the lunatic fringe have spoken......flares and smoke bombs are not welcome either, we not one of thos backward european countries that condone that BS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stugautz View Post
    Sounds to me like the only people we'll be allowed to streamer are cops, paramedics and visiting supporters. Ohh...and ourselves.
    We should all target ball-kids and those people sitting at those tables at field level.
    Animals Eaten:

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    ah the lunatic fringe have spoken......flares and smoke bombs are not welcome either, we not one of thos backward european countries that condone that BS.
    Easy. Derogatory comments toward people's nationality are not accepted.

I realize you're post was in jest, but the slope is a slippery one and I'd rather not have to lock this down or hand out cards.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I wouldn't cry if they make us stop throwing streamers on corners kicks.
    Not that I think it's all that bad... I just wouldn't feel my experience is diminished by the absence of streamer showers.

But I do want to see streamers continue in a celebratory way.
    ...after anthem... after goals... end of game and such.

If they decide to do away with the "showers", then hopefully the are gradual with the punishment for law-breakers.
    1. If they inform all fans that they will enforce the "non-streamer shower" rule
    2. First offence gets you kicked out
    3. Second offence get maybe a 1 or two game ban
    4. Third strike your out...
    that would be a good plan, it's to bad it came down to this, but we all knew it was coming. Columbus SUCKS!!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The message I see there is: Throw them, just not onto the pitch during play (a corner kick being "during play").
    That seems rather reasonable. I'm gonna miss seeing guys getting caked with them during corners, but this all goes to show what a few douchebags in Columbus can do to the rest of the league.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Easy. Derogatory comments toward people's nationality are not accepted.

I realize you're post was in jest, but the slope is a slippery one and I'd rather not have to lock this down or hand out cards.

i didn't mean it in that sence, i mean countries with laws so lax that they allow people to take in fireworks, smokebombs, flares that could injure others,