Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ People as still looking for perfect players. We will not get them or at least rarely get them in this leauge. Dichio, if he was younger and healthier would still be in Europe. Vitti, if could finish, would still be in Argentina and/or Europe. Gerba would be in a Second or even first division, if he was slightly better then he is. His shot and finishing touch would make him a very desired comodity in any league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread needs a POLL
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I don't think anyone would argue that Gerba is in peak physical condition. It's clear he's not.

Gerba is great at jostling in the box, and putting solid shots on target. But he needs another forward to play off of. He had absolutely no service in either of the PR games, and judging him on his performance in a friendly against Real Madrid is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

- Scott
    Agreed. The best way to use Gerba, is with another foward. or at least two AM right behind him who take advantage of the space and problems he creates. I personaly would like them to use, 4 -3-1-2, with Gerba and Dichio playing together as much as possible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Agreed. The best way to use Gerba, is with another foward. or at least two AM right behind him who take advantage of the space and problems he creates. I personaly would like them to use, 4 -3-1-2, with Gerba and Dichio playing together as much as possible.
    the Dichio Gerba combo has potential, as long as Dichio doesn't gas out fast. Danny D's heading and flick ons has potential to create a lot of balls for Gerba to latch on to.

I just don't see Cummins willing to go 2 up front for some reason, so Guevara and DeRo needs to step up and get the ball to Gerba in the box.

Vitti... I just don't think he's got enough awareness to create passes for Gerba.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ What I also like about having Dichio and Gerba upfront, is that they both are willing and able to take quick strong shots on target. Meaning that they can score from half chances. Together they would have many, simply because they would give hell to the CBs. We will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet, typically the most dangerous shots have still been coming from Gerba.

Yes, a good, well rounded striker should be able to do everything you've mentioned. And if Gerba could, he likely wouldn't be playing in MLS right now.

Almost all of our players have gaping weaknesses in their game, and the only way we are going to find success, is playing to nullify those weaknesses. And that means playing a natural finisher like Gerba up front with another forward, who can help set things up for him - someone like Chad, who works hard, but isn't a natural goalscorer at all.

Gerba is a garbage collector, not a guy who is going to streak into the box and pop one off. And he's also the only guy with a great shot on our entire team, so it's important to find a way to get him going. And that was our problem, right? Lots of guys running around and getting chances, and no one putting it in the net.

We spend so much time opining on what we wish our players could do, and not enough time focusing on how to play against those weaknesses in their game.

- Scott
    I don't disagree with everthing you said, but my god, this statement is insanity

"And he's also the only guy with a great shot on our entire team"

I can count two more guys who have PROVEN they have a hell of a shot on this team. Gerba hasn't proven shit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ People as still looking for perfect players. We will not get them or at least rarely get them in this leauge. Dichio, if he was younger and healthier would still be in Europe. Vitti, if could finish, would still be in Argentina and/or Europe. Gerba would be in a Second or even first division, if he was slightly better then he is. His shot and finishing touch would make him a very desired comodity in any league.
    there is no reason we can't expect perfect players for OUR league... although i do believe with a little bit of time Gerba will be our perfect striker... I don't expect European quality but we do deserver better and obviously there are better or we would be on the top of the standings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think teams use their players better. But I have not seen perfect players. Perfect no in term of great skill and ability, but perfect in terms of everything, including fundamentals. Players in this league, even the best, tend to be flaued in one of these aread. More often then not is footy IQ and fundametnaly sound play. Even the "best" MLS players tend to have these faults. In my view at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Watch Serie C you will see, players with less athletic tallent, but playing a great team game. If you commited errors of the kind MLS players reqularly make, even in Serie C you would sit on the bench.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as I said... We deserve better... a better matchup of talents and better play on the pitch...

the problem isn't the players its the management and their inability to obtain and match up the right players together

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    I don't disagree with everthing you said, but my god, this statement is insanity

I can count two more guys who have PROVEN they have a hell of a shot on this team. Gerba hasn't proven shit.
    I actually forgot about DeRo, so you've got me there. DeRo has a pretty good shot.

I assume the other guy you're talking about is Guevara - he contributes the odd cracking free kick, but even those are usually very inconsistent, and I've never been particularly impressed with his shots during the run of play. He has scored a few nice goals, but then, so has Barrett.

And yes, Gerba has proven shit. He just hasn't "proven" himself in a TFC uniform specifically yet, which is exactly why I think the team needs to actually play to his strengths, instead of expecting him to be something he's not, and then wondering why it doesn't work.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post
    there is no reason we can't expect perfect players for OUR league... although i do believe with a little bit of time Gerba will be our perfect striker... I don't expect European quality but we do deserver better and obviously there are better or we would be on the top of the standings...
    Or they just prove my point that other teams play to their players' strengths and weaknesses better than ours does.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what I personally don't understand. Why is it that Gerba comes in and he automatically gets the starting role? This is where I question who's calling the shots. Gerba has done absolutely nothing to show he's a better strike then dichio or even Barrett. I'm not saying fire Gerba. I'm saying he should have to earn his spot. He hasn't done that in my mind.

My thoughts exactly.
    New kid didn't even have to prove himself....

Regards,
    Richard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerba hasn't proven shit.
    He has not really proven anything so far in league play, as he has only played 2 league matches...But, with that being said the stats don't lie. 2 league games played, 163 minutes, 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal. If he keeps up that pace I am fine with him being our starting striker in league play. Although some more shots would be nice....
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerba played well for Canada right before he was signed. What did you require? Next time please include the 2 names who were proven over Gerba. I can't be critical of your ability to count, just who you would choose over him.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Gerba played well for Canada right before he was signed. What did you require? Next time please include the 2 names who were proven over Gerba. I can't be critical of your ability to count, just who you would choose over him.
    I think he means Guevara & DeRo....their shots I would put up there.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bad P

I thought you meant 2 other proven starters over Gerba. Shoulda known.

Agree absolute about the 2 proven shooters.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't care what anyone looks like if he produces.

But Gerba had better have a good strike rate, looking like that. Fitness is important in football.

This could easily follow the arc of the Samuel thing. When Samuel first came in, there were lots of "it's not fat, it's muscle posts".

It's fat if he doesn't score enough. We can call it muscle if he does.
    So if he's fit he doesnt have to have a good strike rate???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerba may have muscles as many of you are saying that he has which is great, but his stomach is fat!!! Period

He can not play a solitary striker he is just not that good. Everyone points to his goal scoring record for Canada and MK Dons. Do the research he had a couple of games where he scored a bunch of goals against less than stellar competition especially for Canada. So I would throw those stats out the window

IMO he has to earn a starting spot not just be given one cause he is Canadian or whatever. He would be better off having to play off of Danny as he could latch on to balls lays off

My 2 Cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ So you sign a player for what in the MLS is big money, and then you do not start him, because he has a belly? Sure man, that makes sense. If he cannot start you cut him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ So you sign a player for what in the MLS is big money, and then you do not start him, because he has a belly? Sure man, that makes sense. If he cannot start you cut him.
    I am not saying not to start him cause he is fat, but are we using him to the best of his abilities or just putting him in cause we signed a fat contract?

Gerba can not and will not be the answer as he is better as a secondary striker he is not a true center forward ala Dichio, Cooper etc...

The biggest problem is CC needs to start Dichio with Gerba to take advantage of Gerba skills. He is fat but as long as he barries goals I really could careless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he is muscular but he's also 5 pounds over weight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needs pictures.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Needs pictures.
    Most of these guys are here

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport-old/pi...5875-20670506/
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    I am not saying not to start him cause he is fat, but are we using him to the best of his abilities or just putting him in cause we signed a fat contract?

Gerba can not and will not be the answer as he is better as a secondary striker he is not a true center forward ala Dichio, Cooper etc...

The biggest problem is CC needs to start Dichio with Gerba to take advantage of Gerba skills. He is fat but as long as he barries goals I really could careless
    I agree that pairing him with Dichio would get the most out of him. Dichio always creats opportunities, and Gerba can put them away. I hope I see it Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    He has not really proven anything so far in league play, as he has only played 2 league matches...But, with that being said the stats don't lie. 2 league games played, 163 minutes, 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal. If he keeps up that pace I am fine with him being our starting striker in league play. Although some more shots would be nice....
    So then we play Gerba only in league matches and stop playing him in all other competitions?

Cause his stats certainly don't bode well for the other games he's played. Really though, when we supporter's assess a player's ability, why would we only include league games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say let's settle the debate and have Gerba line up against Samuel once and for all in the ultimate Pie Eating Contest. This would make for an excellent half time show for the fans. Cheer on your favourite!!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares! Neither of these guys could compete with Lard Ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually forgot about DeRo, so you've got me there. DeRo has a pretty good shot.

I assume the other guy you're talking about is Guevara - he contributes the odd cracking free kick, but even those are usually very inconsistent, and I've never been particularly impressed with his shots during the run of play. He has scored a few nice goals, but then, so has Barrett.

And yes, Gerba has proven shit. He just hasn't "proven" himself in a TFC uniform specifically yet, which is exactly why I think the team needs to actually play to his strengths, instead of expecting him to be something he's not, and then wondering why it doesn't work.

- Scott

Shakes, come on man. Are you seriously telling me that Guevara doesn't have a great shot? How about the goal he scored this year from outside the 18 which he buried on a volley? How about some of those highlight reel free kicks he's scored for us already in 2 years with the team?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc452YJh5a0