Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are all missing the point. Who gives a shit if he's fat or not. The point is, he plays like he's fat. I hate to say it, but I feel like he rarely does anything of significance on the field and he gets way too much playing time for my money.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bombonera View Post
    The irony of it all is that Samuel might have been faster. And For the love of all things that are important to the beautiful game, if you are going to play this style, Dichio, who clearly has no eating disorders is far more likely to deliver.

Is this more nonsence from Mo? Are we so completely incapable of recognizing who can finish?

O'brien white might be the future, but after 3 years of what can only be discribed as an interesting form of torment, I find myself wondering whether Gerba does not embody everything (Well, Robsinson an Brennan are perhapas the true leaders of this VERY select club...) that is wrong with our team. Our inability to learn from serious mistaks worries me.. Does it worry you?

Gerba has now palyed 5 matches.

I can say withot hesitation he ahs looked worse with each passing game. He is huge and can't run. actually he walks 90% of the time. He should not be a starter and should be brought in with 15 minutes remaining.

What I would like to see is a tracker on Gerba that measures the distance he runs in a game. I would say he doesn't even run 1 km the whole game.
    Total waste of a player in y mind and time will prove this.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So can you tell me why Vitti has a starting roll? Each time that twinkle toe gets the ball he coughs it up like "Tod Gill" aka "Giveaway Gill".Gerba is a threat upfront and I also feel good when he is starting and or even gets the ball.If anything you should be looking at what Vitti has done other then worry about his headband...Can someone confirm the moneis we are paying for this lad called Vitti??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if any of you guys think he's fat then I think the fans should set the tone then.... lose some weight you fat fucks. you're going to break the stands with your jumping!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't give a shit if he's 300 pounds, his first 4 steps and his shot are all that matter, and he's great at both.

Samuel had speed, but couldn't turn for shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol funny thing is i was talking about this with some of my boys after the match.

Ali is too heavy right now and used to be more agile and faster. He is actually strong although it im not sure what kinda condition his belly is in now though.

Ali is too heavy though.

Danny done and usually does more when he comes on than quite a few that play most of the match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Gerba starts getting good delivery then you can decide whether he's good enough or not. He's started playing in a string of winless matches where the entire team has been playing poorly, so it's hard to lay blame on him so soon.

Just last night there were countless times when Gerba would call for a pass or through ball and not receive anything. He's more of a poacher than anything which means someone has to get him the ball for him to put it in the net, and that hasn't happened so I'd say relax in the criticism for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are realy silly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    People are realy silly.

Who are you English Rachel LOL sounds like something she'd say.

People are really shitty. More like it LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team problems are at least 80% tactics (and team selection by extension) and 0%gerba. It's not like he has been blowing chance after chance like Barrett or vitti or anything... Some ppl are WAY too used to blaming everything on the strikers.
    Last edited by mmmikey; 08-08-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no code, as far as I'm concerned, that protects a player from obvious criticism just because he is new.

Gerba may be a fine striker, I have high hopes, but his fitness is visibly terrible. Period.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There is no code, as far as I'm concerned, that protects a player from obvious criticism just because he is new.
    small sample size is what's it called.. but i guess that's statistical analysis...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I understand your point re sample size. Gerba may turn out to be great. But seriously, re Gerba's fitness, are you actually unconvinced?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I understand your point re sample size. Gerba may turn out to be great. But seriously, re Gerba's fitness, are you actually unconvinced?
    i wonder how much of Gerba's rather walking sort of game is due to lack of match fitness, and how much of it is due to his poacher style playing.

what is very obvious is that Gerba isn't getting enough support from attacking midfielders to be truly effective
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as Yohan says above, I haven't seen his teammates get him involved in play enough to tell what's going on with him. Although against Columbus I thought he was fine.. that turn he did on the Columbus defender was pretty sweet.

He also hasn't played that much yet since being off for awhile, so I'll give him a bigger sample size before I judge. If this were March we probably would just give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Respectfully disagree. I think the odds of a long and happy stay here would increase if he went on an immediate, hardcore diet/fitness regimen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Respectfully disagree. I think the odds of a long and happy stay here would increase if he went on an immediate, hardcore diet/fitness regimen.
    midseason really isn't the best time to go on a hardcore fitness schedule

i;m sure winsper will do his best, but I don't think we should expect a remarkable change in Gerba's fitness
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We haven't heard much about Carver's Fitness guru for a while (Paul Winsper?)... Maybe he will start getting some press again along with that supposedly inovative piece of IT...

A fewe pounds and a move towards the ball (Instead of leaning back an hoping for a quick turn..) might result in some goals. I have no doubt that Gerba can score them..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladies Love Julius James View Post
    Who are you English Rachel LOL sounds like something she'd say.

People are really shitty. More like it LOL

I am all angered out. Sometimes I just wonder if people think simply complaining makes them sound like expert, and I an the first to complain, but I am also the first praise, and I am not looking for reasons to shit on our players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here Here Trane!

Gerba is in good enough shape to do teh job. End.

The guy's a brick shithouse.

People need to stop dumping on our boys..the term is 'supporter' not 'bellyacher'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Denime regarding Vitti. The guy certainly has more talent than Barrett but he does give away the ball way too often ... not to mention the obvious lacking of goal scoring pedigree. I was disenchanted with Barrett after a similar number of games and certainly now Vitti has also played enough to prove that he is not worth what he is making. Not saying that he should be cut right away but if we have something lined up, I would not be surprised if he is the first one to go in order to shed salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... thought we were getting a guy who got out front, made space, and hit the net, not pretty but productive ... not sure why fitness is at issue, think he needs some service to trully determine his impact ...

What about a full pitch race between Dichio and Gerba?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a striker, without the service you could put anyone up top and it won't make a scrap of difference, Gerba was simply starved vs RM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Exactly. When there is even the slightest chance, he is always in good position to receive the ball, and to score. He has not been getting it. He fights to create something as well. But there is only so much that he can do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anyone would argue that Gerba is in peak physical condition. It's clear he's not.

Gerba is great at jostling in the box, and putting solid shots on target. But he needs another forward to play off of. He had absolutely no service in either of the PR games, and judging him on his performance in a friendly against Real Madrid is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummmm... Was any of this an issue when he was playing for Canada in the Gold Cup? Or are people just insisting on talking smack about every player that doesn't score 4 goals a game?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the fact that we are arguing about gerba getting an automatic starting position and so worried about his fitness while barret is still starting....

Gerba will deliver... chad on the other hand... I think should ride the pine a little bit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is illuminating.

No matter what the formation is, or the player' style is, forwards should be doing a lot of running. Running to open space. Running to harass keepers and defenders on goal kicks and throw ins. Running, running, running. Just because a guy plays a muscular style, and has numerous talents around receiving the ball, turning, playing in traffic, etc..... it does not absolve him of these responsibilities. All you need to do is watch Dichio to understand this.

If you don't know that football players at this level shouldn't have beer guts....there's not a lot to say.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-10-2009 at 06:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well now there's the difference between Gerba and Chad. If Chad isn't getting service, he'll go out and find it and make something out of nothing. Yes he misses the net alot, but he gets chances because he helps create them.

And to me the difference between Dichio and Gerba is that Dichio is even slower the Gerba, but yet he manages to get involved in the play way more often then Gerba does.

At the end of the day, for those that argue that Gerba doesn't get enough service, I could easily say Gerba doesn't make an effort to get involved. It's a ridicolous argument if you ask me. Because when we have other players on the field, they have no problems getting service and chances. Go see how much we outshot Puerto Rico by and you'll know what I mean.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    At the end of the day, for those that argue that Gerba doesn't get enough service, I could easily say Gerba doesn't make an effort to get involved. It's a ridicolous argument if you ask me. Because when we have other players on the field, they have no problems getting service and chances. Go see how much we outshot Puerto Rico by and you'll know what I mean.
    And yet, typically the most dangerous shots have still been coming from Gerba.

Yes, a good, well rounded striker should be able to do everything you've mentioned. And if Gerba could, he likely wouldn't be playing in MLS right now.

Almost all of our players have gaping weaknesses in their game, and the only way we are going to find success, is playing to nullify those weaknesses. And that means playing a natural finisher like Gerba up front with another forward, who can help set things up for him - someone like Chad, who works hard, but isn't a natural goalscorer at all.

Gerba is a garbage collector, not a guy who is going to streak into the box and pop one off. And he's also the only guy with a great shot on our entire team, so it's important to find a way to get him going. And that was our problem, right? Lots of guys running around and getting chances, and no one putting it in the net.

We spend so much time opining on what we wish our players could do, and not enough time focusing on how to play against those weaknesses in their game.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens