Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who is going to be the the airport to greet Real Madrid on Thursday !!!

I was wondering if anyone is going to be a good citizen and go out to Pearson to greet the boys from Madrid when they arrive in Toronto on Thursday afternoon in advance of their match against the Reds, the scheduled to arrive around noon, it might be a good chance for all those screatching girls to get a taste of Cristiano up close and personal . LOL

I wonder how their arrival will compare to when Becky arrived here for the first time in June of 2007 when he was hurt and hanging out in while his teammates faced our newly minted TFC side.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    I was wondering if anyone is going to be a good citizen and go out to Pearson to greet the boys from Madrid when they arrive in Toronto on Thursday afternoon in advance of their match against the Reds, the scheduled to arrive around noon, it might be a good chance for all those screatching girls to get a taste of Cristiano up close and personal . LOL

I wonder how their arrival will compare to when Becky arrived here for the first time in June of 2007 when he was hurt and hanging out in while his teammates faced our newly minted TFC side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you know they are arriving then?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robert32 View Post
    How do you know they are arriving then?
    my great great grandmother told me. She wouldn't lie to me would she??????

T-Bird

= Gross

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zero interest.

this is a cash grab and marketing ploy by both teams. madrid are not here to foster the game in north america. they are here to milk us and sell shirts, that's the only reason they are touring north america people. the thought of seeing so many RM shirts in the stands at OUR HOUSE makes me sick, which is why I won't even be watching the game on tv.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    zero interest.

this is a cash grab and marketing ploy by both teams. madrid are not here to foster the game in north america. they are here to milk us and sell shirts, that's the only reason they are touring north america people. the thought of seeing so many RM shirts in the stands at OUR HOUSE makes me sick, which is why I won't even be watching the game on tv.
    Seriously?? GET OVER IT!!!! This is common practice for all major clubs around the world!!! These clubs go to Asia and do their tours in stadiums for teams that have much more history then we do. This whole thing about "RM shirts in our house" is a joke because people want to see these players. It's a once in a life time opportunity for people to watch these players live and a cone in a lifetime chance for some of the TFC boys who will never get to play against players of this stature again.

T-Bird

RM stole Alonso I therefore hate them and hope they all stub their toes. The fact that Ronoldo plays for them makes me despise them even more...why would anyone waste their time going to the airport to see that douche! I mean come on, Paris? I don't want any of his skank on me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default huh??

This says theyre flying to Vancouver.... Makes no sense....

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/200...madrid-medical

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could be at the airport for their arrival, but I've already made an appointment to scrape the callouses off the bottoms of my feet.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    Seriously?? GET OVER IT!!!! This is common practice for all major clubs around the world!!! These clubs go to Asia and do their tours in stadiums for teams that have much more history then we do. This whole thing about "RM shirts in our house" is a joke because people want to see these players. It's a once in a life time opportunity for people to watch these players live and a cone in a lifetime chance for some of the TFC boys who will never get to play against players of this stature again.
    So go and watch the game, or welcome them at the airport, or whatever you want to do. You have no business telling me to "get over it". If you think this is being done out of the goodness of their hearts to give everyone a chance to see these players up close and personal then you have rosier glasses on than I do. They are here for the money and the marketing. Without those things Madrid would not be here and MLSE would not be doing this. So, in that context, am I thrilled about Mardid being here? No. Am I thrilled about seeing BMO Field filled up with fans of another club? No.

If Madrid want to come and tour North America and play exhibition games then I have no problem with that, and yeah I think it'd be great for all the kids to get out and see the players and all that. But for TFC, mid-season when we are in a play off struggle of growing proportions, it's a bad move and it's a bad move being undertaken for money grabbing purposes. So, in terms of the context, I think it's off-side.

But you go and cheerlead dude, knock yourself out!

EDIT - i agree withn you that some people fall into the "once in a lifetime" bracket and want to go and see the game, that's clear otherwise the stadium would be empty. But there are also (a lot of) people who think like me, and the fact that it's "common rpactice for big clubs around the world" - so what?! Bottom line is it's bad for TFC, my club, in this context. I don't give a monkey's what "big clubs" do. So I'd prefer it if they played their exhibition and marketing games in a way that didn;t impact on TFC's chances fo making the play offs.
    Last edited by Hitcho; 08-05-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I wish I could be at the airport for their arrival, but I've already made an appointment to scrape the callouses off the bottoms of my feet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am going to scream like a little girl there.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole thing about "RM shirts in our house" is a joke because people want to see these players. It's a once in a life time opportunity for people to watch these players live and a cone in a lifetime chance for some of the TFC boys who will never get to play against players of this stature again.
    The opportunity to see RM is a decision each person has to make. Personally, I didn't buy the tickets because I thought the pricing could have been more fair and still left the FO with loads of cash. My opinion.

However, there is something very wrong with selling away team shirts in your home ground. Bugs the crap out of me and no amount of logic will sway me otherwise. The only time it would be acceptable to sell another teams jerseys is if TFC is not playing (i.e. an exhibition game between two other teams).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    However, there is something very wrong with selling away team shirts in your home ground. Bugs the crap out of me and no amount of logic will sway me otherwise. The only time it would be acceptable to sell another teams jerseys is if TFC is not playing (i.e. an exhibition game between two other teams).
    At least there is the possibility they won't be selling Galaxy jerseys next season.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The opportunity to see RM is a decision each person has to make. Personally, I didn't buy the tickets because I thought the pricing could have been more fair and still left the FO with loads of cash. My opinion.

Obviously each person has every right to make up their own mind, but the sense that we should be above this glorified marketing campaign is what bothers me. We are nobody's in the world of Football.

As for selling shirts, I never mentioned TFC selling RM stuff, I'm just talking about the fans of Real having the opportunity to see this team play and represent their pride in our stadium (just like we do when we wear red into any other stadium)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking right dude!

(and not just because you're technically my boss - ha ha).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are nobody's in the world of Football.
    I think this is where we differ then. To me, TFC are the most important team in world football. I get the fact that hardly anyone else outside of BMO Field on game days thinks likewise, but that's not my concern. The fact that madrid have more fans around the world is neither here nor there to me. That doesn't mean we have to bend over and take it up the tail pipe mid-season to allow RM and MLSE to cash in on their marketing plans. It's got nothing to do with feeling we're above anything, it's just about not wanting to see my team get screwed mid-season for ownership cash grabs.

But if you think we are "nobodys" and Madrid are a "big club" and that makes all of this alright, then we're seeing this in very different ways I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is where we differ then. To me, TFC are the most important team in world football. I get the fact that hardly anyone else outside of BMO Field on game days thinks likewise, but that's not my concern. The fact that madrid have more fans around the world is neither here nor there to me. That doesn't mean we have to bend over and take it up the tail pipe mid-season to allow RM and MLSE to cash in on their marketing plans. It's got nothing to do with feeling we're above anything, it's just about not wanting to see my team get screwed mid-season for ownership cash grabs.

But if you think we are "nobodys" and Madrid are a "big club" and that makes all of this alright, then we're seeing this in very different ways I guess.
    Did I say TFC was unimportant to me?? I'm just saying in the grand shceme of the the Footy world.....we are a blip on the map. Don't turn my words around because I give my all for this team and I give my fair share of time to the RPB's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to the open practice where I hope to meet Ronaldo and tell him he should have never left Sporting!

Last edited by billyfly; 08-05-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    RM stole Alonso
    I wish RM would steal something from me in return for 30 million pounds.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I say TFC was unimportant to me?? I'm just saying in the grand shceme of the the Footy world.....we are a blip on the map. Don't turn my words around because I give my all for this team and I give my fair share of time to the RPB's.
    ha ha, yeah sorry, that was a bit of a twist to make a point, it wasn't really designed to question yout TFC commitment. but still, even if TFC are a smaller club in world stature, that's still not a relevant issue to me. i don't know if it is to you, but i don't see why it should be. we don't need to do this to generate a fan base and we don't need to do this to stave off bankruptcy. so TFC's world stature is therefore irrelevant as far as I can see. just my opinion though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha ha, yeah sorry, that was a bit of a twist to make a point, it wasn't really designed to question yout TFC commitment. but still, even if TFC are a smaller club in world stature, that's still not a relevant issue to me. i don't know if it is to you, but i don't see why it should be. we don't need to do this to generate a fan base and we don't need to do this to stave off bankruptcy. so TFC's world stature is therefore irrelevant as far as I can see. just my opinion though.
    You don't think being on the front of every paper and at the beginning of every local news program will be valuable for the growth of TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What terminal, where are they coming from?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't think being on the front of every paper and at the beginning of every local news program will be valuable for the growth of TFC?
    Separate issue, although frankly I question how much coverage TFC will actually get form this. There will be a few pics of some Madrid players (likely Cronaldo) and a few words underneath it. Anyone who doesn't really care about football will skip over it. This is not going to dominate the news and media in TO, it will be a blip. So how much "growth" is TFC really going to get from this, especially considering that A) most people who are new to TFC will be going to see Madrid not TFC, and B) TFC are likely to get hammered and given how much emphasis north america places on winning and success, is this actually going to be good coverage for TFC or is it going to underline how far off the pace MLS really is in world terms and make the doubters snort even louder? The last thing we need is mroe rpess ridicule, this time for the team rather than the fans.

But, even if you allow for the coverage we do get, it still needs to be balanced against the downsides for TFC, ie the injury risks and fatigue at a key point in the season, not to mention how much bad will this generated among large sections of the fan base.

So, on balance, even allowing for the (questionable) media coverage this may get, I still don't think this is a good thing for the club to be doing, and I still don't think the fact we're a "small" club in world terms makes any difference to the situation whatsoever - I'm waiting to hear how you do, since you said, and I quote, "we are nobody's in world football"...
    Last edited by Hitcho; 08-05-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what time are they landing lol

T-Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    I wish RM would steal something from me in return for 30 million pounds.

Haha me too! Maybe I'll sell them my argyle scarf

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Haha me too! Maybe I'll sell them my argyle scarf
    If you tell them that Argyle will sell countless shirts in Asia, they'll sign him...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    what time are they landing lol
    Read above, first posting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)