View Poll Results: Which nominee would you rather have as Head Coach of TFC in 2010?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Spencer (from Houston)

10 8.40%
  • Mark Simpson (from D.C. United)

4 3.36%
  • Paul Mariner (from Revolution)

45 37.82%
  • Mo Johnston

10 8.40%
  • None of the Nominees, There's better options from within MLS

50 42.02%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this would be a more suitable as a poll...
    Which nominee would you rather have as General manager of TFC in 2010? DO we even need one?

BUt i am not going to even try to start a poll that has to do anything about MO that is not praising him.... because it will be closed in like 5 minutes...
    freedom of speech?... not on this board

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ua-kozak_TFC View Post
    Which nominee would you rather have as General manager of TFC in 2010? DO we even need one?

BUt i am not going to even try to start a poll that has to do anything about MO that is not praising him.... because it will be closed in like 5 minutes...
    You're damned right there isn't freedom of speech on this privately owned and operated message board.

If you don't like it Big Soccer is that way ------> www.bigsoccer.com
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want a thread to complain about Mo's job as a manager of our club....
    there's already dozens.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    You're damned right there isn't freedom of speech on this privately owned and operated message board.

If you don't like it Big Soccer is that way ------> www.bigsoccer.com
    I agree, this is funded by the red patch boys - so we must abide with the rules within. This is vital to the growth of these boards and the group in general. The boards helped build this group, it was the core viral element...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colin Clarke or Steve Nicol. Otherwise go outside North America. And for chrissakes find a decent General Manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much money did MO Jhonston give you...
    well with `core` fans that support mediocracy... WE WILL ALWAYS BE A SHITTY TEAM for years to COME...
    Man... if the fans in europe had the same mentality... of ``We SUCK... why to worry lets drink BEER and sing KOOMBAYA`` then the football would never have reached the limits it has...

I guess it will take time for the second generation of more soccer educated FANS that will not put up with shit like that....
    Last edited by ua-kozak_TFC; 08-05-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    if you want a thread to complain about Mo's job as a manager of our club....
    there's already dozens.
    lol... I just wanted a poll... and please show me the dozen you speak of in the first page of the board... exactly... there is none because they are closed... interesting ...specially after a tough day like yesterday... and nobody seems to question Mo`s responsability...

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol... I just wanted a poll... and please show me the dozen you speak of in the first page of the board... exactly... there is none because they are closed... interesting ...specially after a tough day like yesterday... and nobody seems to question Mo`s responsability...
    Found three on the 'first page'

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16020

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16149

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16146

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now was that so tough?
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rooney, don't let facts get in the way of an irrational rant!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well with `core` fans that support mediocracy... WE WILL ALWAYS BE A SHITTY TEAM for years to COME...
    Man... if the fans in europe had the same mentality... of ``We SUCK... why to worry lets drink BEER and sing KOOMBAYA`` then the football would never have reached the limits it has...

I guess it will take time for the second generation of more soccer educated FANS that will not put up with shit like that....
    ??!!?!?!?!??!!

We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

\

Give Mo a break, he bought in DeRo,Serioux, beacuse the fans wanted them, he went after JDG who did not want to play here, because the fans wanted him..Forget a Lundberg type signing as big name players do not want to come to toronto..so Mo has done alright in a short time 3 yrs in not long for a football club. Hes has got an academy team going which will be where TFC will get its future players from..so Mos done alright..perfect
    maybe be not,,,but who is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want Schmid!!!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No one has a problem with being critical of Mo and the job he's done (or hasn't, as the case may be). No one has any problem with being critical of the team's performance, or Chris Cummins' performance.

The only line that is drawn is on personal attacks.

That is the way this forum works and will continue to work.

The same policy applies to forum users. Attack the argument, not the person. Attack the performance, not the person. If that is too much trouble for you, then I would advise you to take your posts somewhere else, because it won't fly here.

If you want to discuss TFC and TFC's manager's performance at his job as the manager, then by all means, go to it.
    Last edited by Jack; 08-05-2009 at 06:44 PM.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me I want to see a coach that knows how to get their team to play posession soccer. They should know how to

a) get the team to play as a team,
    b) teach them how to defend as a team
    c) attack as a team.
    d) be able to read what is happening in the game and react fast, not hang around until the 70th or 85th minute to realize that their big defenders are bigger than our forwards and should bring a big man in.

Don't care where they are from, who they are, big name or not.

Quote Originally Posted by VPjr View Post
    Option 1: Rafael Carbajal, head coach of Serbian White Eagles

Option 1A: Armando Costa, Head coach of Brampton Lions

Both of these coaches have more experience coaching men (not boys...they have plenty of that experience too) than Cummins or Dasovic. I know both men and these are both men who would turn this club around.

They are both local. They could both take over tomorrow. We don't need to look very far to find quality managers. Of course, they don't have the right agent so they'll never get the gig.
    Just a few questions, and this is just ignorance of the CSL on my part so I am just looking for some justification for your recommendations.

Why would they be considered as they are coaching CSL teams? I don't mean to come across as a snob, but I would think that is how a higher division would see it. Have they coached at higher levels here in Canada?Have they ever been involved in the national program at any level? (lol and don't bring Mitchell up)

Wouldn't you like to see them as assistant coaches in the MLS first to see if they could do the job? Would they even consider doing it first?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post
    For me I want to see a coach that knows how to get their team to play posession soccer.
    I think that's impossible while playing on a plastic pitch, atleast on our plastic pitch. The ball wabbles and bounces all over the place on it, short precise passes that are critical to a posession game are very difficult to pull off on our surface and the physical nature of the MLS puts a lot of pressure on the passing & recieving players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think it would cost MLSE to get Mancini to manage TFC?? He's still without a team and is looking for work!! Long shot I know but $$$ talks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We only play on our plastic pitch for 1/2 the games.

But really I have seen some very nice posession soccer played here by TFC, it just never lasted more than a half. Last season vs. KC and RSL. This season vs. Chivas. Problem is they could never keep it up for the full game and it isn't like the pitch degraded during half time lol.

I am sure though that community use has damaged the turf since then. Perhaps they need to lift it after the game and have a "carpet" laid down for the community games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jose mourinho...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me....

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bull, you make some good points about the advantages of a current MLS coach coming here to Toronto, but I would point out that a foreign coach with experience in multiple leagues would probably have the higher level of tactical adaptation we are in need of.

Think of Greame Souness and his career spanning the Scottish, English, Turkish, Portugese, and Italian leagues. Each of those leagues have their own unique restrictions and allocation rules, and I think anyone who has worked and prospered as a coach in multiple leagues like that is the sort of replacement we should be considering.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 08-05-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind looking outside North America for head coach, but it's going to have to be someone who is very adaptable.

MLS is a very weird league to coach in. Coaches like Queiroz and Parreira FAILED in MLS, so it's not like you can hire a foreign coach and bet that they'll take your team to MLS Cup.

The foreign coach has to willing to learn MLS, and be able to work with limited roster and be very adaptable.

So in this case, having a separate GM and head coach combo could work, with GM being the knowledgeable guy in MLS and North American soccer
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for Nickles imo ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post

Just a few questions, and this is just ignorance of the CSL on my part so I am just looking for some justification for your recommendations.

Why would they be considered as they are coaching CSL teams? I don't mean to come across as a snob, but I would think that is how a higher division would see it. Have they coached at higher levels here in Canada?Have they ever been involved in the national program at any level? (lol and don't bring Mitchell up)

Wouldn't you like to see them as assistant coaches in the MLS first to see if they could do the job? Would they even consider doing it first?

Carbajal coached 5 years in Italy, starting as an assistant and working his way up to head coach at the Serie D level. That might not seem impressive to some but anyone who understands Italian soccer realizes immediately that this is very unusual. He was a Canadian coaching in Italy. That is the equivalent of an italian hockey coach landing a job in the AHL. Why would any Italian club hire a Canadian when there are literally hundreds if not thousands of domestic coaches who are capable and qualified. He got the job because he's very good at what he does. I have ZERO doubt that he is cut out for managing an MLS side.

He is certainly on the CSA radar. He served as an assistant to Morace with the WNT program briefly this year when she was first hired. However, his place is coaching men's teams. If you met him, you'd know right away.

Rafael could certainly work as an assistant at TFC but he's ultimately a head coach. He is a manager in the truest sense of the word. I personally think he would be perfect for the head of the Academy program if the Academy was REALLY about developing players for the senior team, which its not.

As for Armando, he is possibly Canada's most accomplished coach (outside of Canada). He has also coached in Italy. He was a national team coach for Libya. He has worked side by side with all sorts of top notch coaches. His CV is long and impressive. He's a very impressive man if you meet him face to face. Charming and very intelligent. He is a huge asset to his current organization and to the CSL.

These are passionate, educated, intelligent and accomplished soccer men. TFC would be fortunate to have either of them and they both work in the club's backyard.

It is a fallacy that we MUST look outside our borders for a qualified coach. Personally, I think we need to take care of our own. There are hardly any good jobs for soccer coaches in this country as it is. I know FOR A FACT that there are people in Canada who are fully capable of leading TFC (or Impact or Whitecaps for that matter when they are in MLS). To me, its somewhat offensive that an English youth academy coach is leading the "biggest" club in Canada and that Whitecaps went to Iceland to find their coach. I have more respect for Impact, who try to hire Canadians (with mixed success but at least they are giving people a shot).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Me....

Bring Carver Back!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carbajal coached 5 years in Italy, starting as an assistant and working his way up to head coach at the Serie D level. That might not seem impressive to some but anyone who understands Italian soccer realizes immediately that this is very unusual. He was a Canadian coaching in Italy. That is the equivalent of an italian hockey coach landing a job in the AHL. Why would any Italian club hire a Canadian when there are literally hundreds if not thousands of domestic coaches who are capable and qualified. He got the job because he's very good at what he does. I have ZERO doubt that he is cut out for managing an MLS side.

He is certainly on the CSA radar. He served as an assistant to Morace with the WNT program briefly this year when she was first hired. However, his place is coaching men's teams. If you met him, you'd know right away.

Rafael could certainly work as an assistant at TFC but he's ultimately a head coach. He is a manager in the truest sense of the word. I personally think he would be perfect for the head of the Academy program if the Academy was REALLY about developing players for the senior team, which its not.

As for Armando, he is possibly Canada's most accomplished coach (outside of Canada). He has also coached in Italy. He was a national team coach for Libya. He has worked side by side with all sorts of top notch coaches. His CV is long and impressive. He's a very impressive man if you meet him face to face. Charming and very intelligent. He is a huge asset to his current organization and to the CSL.

These are passionate, educated, intelligent and accomplished soccer men. TFC would be fortunate to have either of them and they both work in the club's backyard.

It is a fallacy that we MUST look outside our borders for a qualified coach. Personally, I think we need to take care of our own. There are hardly any good jobs for soccer coaches in this country as it is. I know FOR A FACT that there are people in Canada who are fully capable of leading TFC (or Impact or Whitecaps for that matter when they are in MLS). To me, its somewhat offensive that an English youth academy coach is leading the "biggest" club in Canada and that Whitecaps went to Iceland to find their coach. I have more respect for Impact, who try to hire Canadians (with mixed success but at least they are giving people a shot).
    I agree with this, all of it, and I think he is just the type of coach we are looking for. Serie D is low, admitedly, but I think that if one watched a game you would find the fundametals and tactices better then the MLS.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steve nichols is my choice, but any of the following will also suffice:

fabio capellos
    sven goran erikssons
    alan shearers
    roy keanes
    marcello lippis
    gus hiddinks
    jock steins
    arrigo sacchis
    the ghost of rinus michelssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have these men applied for coaching positions with TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marco Van Basten is unattached right now. Even though he's a euro-mold coach, he has quite famously brought up younger unknown players and given them a chance while coaching the Dutch national team, and his overall record there and at Ajax was pretty darn good.

I know everyone thinks of Gullit, but these are two very different guys with respect to their approach. If anythign, Van Basten was accused of being TOO hands on. Not sure that could be a problem here.

Or that we could afford him, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I don't mind looking outside North America for head coach, but it's going to have to be someone who is very adaptable.

MLS is a very weird league to coach in. Coaches like Queiroz and Parreira FAILED in MLS, so it's not like you can hire a foreign coach and bet that they'll take your team to MLS Cup.

The foreign coach has to willing to learn MLS, and be able to work with limited roster and be very adaptable.

So in this case, having a separate GM and head coach combo could work, with GM being the knowledgeable guy in MLS and North American soccer
    Quieroz isn't exactly a good comparison Yo; despite having been Fergie's assistant and having coached the national team, his actual record at club level is bad pretty much everywhere, and portugese fans are aware of his enormous tactical fuckups, both with Sporting and with the national side.