Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to read something from someone who has some sense.

We got bounced from a competition that we're still 2 years away from having any business being in. Now we can focus on what's really important - the league.

I am confident that TFC WILL make the playoffs this season.

OMG, reading through the pages in this thread is enough to make someone think that this board and the people who post on it, are the most overreactive, uneducated fairweather fans in history.

Time to back the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    1. If Dichio's shot had gone in, we could be having a very different conversation. Certain people who only come here to intensify the misery would have stayed off the board, everyone would be talking about the "miracle against the Islanders." So, get a grip, everyone.

2. The Islanders went further than Montreal in the CL last year, and are one of the top teams in USL-1. Everyone knew it would be difficult. Our team kept pushing to the end in very difficult circumstances, where the Islanders only needed a tie to advance. The CL was really lost when TFC failed to beat the Islanders at home. Their goal probably wouldn't have happened if Serioux had been fit, so blame the stupid River plate friendly for this mess.

3. USL teams have no salary cap, and almost no roster restrictions. So, although lower revenues tend to mean that the squads have no DeRos, they DO have lots of depth. USL teams regularly beat MLS teams in cup comptetitions, and the Islanders have shown in the past particularly adept at this game.

4. Mo and Carver had both said that Carver chose the squad. So Cummins, who plays a very different style from Carver, has been forced to play largely with someone else's picks. I have little doubt that Cummins would have assembled a different squad from Carver.

5. It's hard for any team that has a mid-season change in coaches to accomplish much. Do we know another team that has had a mid-season coaching change? Oh yes, Montreal, shortly before we beat them 6-1.

6. The "miracle in Montreal" unreasonably raised expectations. One thing about a miracle, is that by definition it's rare. I had voted in the poll that I expected a tie in this match, and the 0-0 result is exactly what I expected. However, TFC came very close to winning this match.

7. Cummins is not a bad coach, but he is inexperienced as a head coach. Could someone else do better? Maybe, but also there would not be too many coaches who would pick up a team mid-season and salvage it better than he has done. The time to evaluate him hasn't yet come.

8. If TFC had succeded in getting JDG, we almost certainly would have advanced.

9. The team doing poorly has coincided with getting Ali Gerba. Team attitudes seem to have changed since he came on board. Could it be that there is a reason he has played for so many clubs, despite having an undeniable skill? It may be that getting Gerba was a mistake by Cummins. Alternately, it might just be that it will take some time to fit him in. Clearly, having Gerba as a lone striker up front isn't working.

10. It may surprise some, but if I would immediately change something about TFC, it would be to eliminate the mid-season frendlies. I realize that Real Madrid was to good an opportunity for ML$E to pass up, however, if they hadn't contractually forced themselves to have the stupid River Plate friendly, we would have been in much better shape.

So let's hope that after the Real Madrid friendly, the team can regroup, and get a playoff spot. There will be nothing after that game to distract the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post
    as did Montreal against TFC when we scored 6 goals against them.

That's the problem. everyone was jumping up and down but when we palyed Montreal in Miontreal they were using their 2nd and 3rd string palyers. Our 6 goals was against a house league team. they gave us the game. we didn't deserve to advance. vancouver should have been there. they way TFc palys aginst USl teams I would say we should be palying CSL teams.
    we had played worse squads in the past and not gotten near that result, never mind the circumstances at hand.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ Funny, thing is that I am realy starting to feel that we have a team on the field. Is our managment there. I am not sure.
    I think you're wrong there.....we do not have a team....we have 11 players....there's a big difference between the two....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Losing this tie was a blessing in disguise.

Yes, the Champions League games would have been exciting as all hell, but with the squad we have and the fixture congestion that we would be running into there is no way we would have advanced through to the elimination round.

While it is still likely, winning that tie would have guaranteed that we missed the playoffs.

Either way, the squad simply isnt good enough, and there is only one person to blame for that. End of story really.

T-Bird

"supporters?"

Sad they lost but again, it was a very exciting game to watch just like the last one and I agree that they will make the playoffs. That is all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    "supporters?"

Sad they lost but again, it was a very exciting game to watch just like the last one and I agree that they will make the playoffs. That is all

Exciting! it was one of the worst games ever to watch!!!!!! They are not good enough to make the playoffs with the games on the road left to play.
    Last edited by Tintin; 08-05-2009 at 08:33 AM.

T-Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
    Exciting! it was one of the worst games ever to watch!!!!!! They are note good enough to make the playoffs with the games on the roead left to play.

If they are so terrible and you think they suck so hard and you hate them so much DON'T WATCH! and YES it was exciting to watch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are so terrible and you think they suck so hard and you hate them so much DON'T WATCH! and YES it was exciting to watch

Define exciting. It's not because I'm a fan that I can't be objective once in a while. They played awfull and they don't have to team to make the playoffs in my opinion, based on their past record with away games. I still will watch but will retain my right to have an opinion. I don't want to be blinded because I'm a fan...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oldtimer, I agree with much of what you say, but so what? You are wrong in your overall conclusion. I think you're overlooking just how terrible our MLS campaign has been. 5 of our 7 wins come against the league's weakest teams.

We've gone nowhere this year. We've probably taken a step back. FFS, we were probably better in May and June 2007 than we are now.

We learned that definitively last night. It's pretty bitter tasting stuff.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thw worst thing that happend was making the CC by beating Montreal's B and C team...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"supporters?"

I had to change the channel it was so boring of a match.
    Thats okay becasue i found an exciting program called America's got Talent. Now that was exciting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to change the channel it was so boring of a match.
    Thats okay becasue i found an exciting program called America's got Talent. Now that was exciting

Agreed!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
    Thw worst thing that happend was making the CC by beating Montreal's B and C team...

Youi are absolutely right, we beat Montreals B and C team. we beat their 2nd and 3rd stringers. People have to realize that. This team maybe can beat a CSL team but it would be close. We definetly can't beat USl teams unless they use their backup players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedchinaman View Post

DEATH TO THE LONGBALL!

i will drink to that, death indeed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if we stop with the long ball, Robinson will be out of a job.

Toronto FC only exists to employ people who couldnt cut it in the UK, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fetajr View Post
    i will drink to that, death indeed.
    Yep. And of all the questions to ask Cummins, the first would be if your strategy is to lob long balls to the top of the box (against a defence that's all over 6 ft), why the fuck do your keep your only tall striker out of the game until the 73rd minute?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tlear View Post
    Agreeed 100%. That attempt from Dichio had their defender literally body locking/throwing him on the ground. If that is not penalty I dont know what is. Gerba getting taken down yesterday was another penalty that would be given 80-90% of the time if the ref was not a typical CONCACAF fuckhead.

What is frustrating is how close we were to getting this.. so very close

I also think that Gerba will show himself. He is the type of player that wont do anything in some games but will probably still endup with 1 goal per 2 games in league play.
    I agree Gerba will make a difference. Besides, not like Vitti and Barrett were bagging goals before hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    It's nice to read something from someone who has some sense.

We got bounced from a competition that we're still 2 years away from having any business being in. Now we can focus on what's really important - the league.

I am confident that TFC WILL make the playoffs this season.

OMG, reading through the pages in this thread is enough to make someone think that this board and the people who post on it, are the most overreactive, uneducated fairweather fans in history.

Time to back the club.
    I sort of have to agree here. We would've got whooped in the next round. Sure it would've been exciting and the guys would've gotten some experience but the squad wasn't ready...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

he was brought in here to score. In 2 matches vs a USL team he scored - count them now 000000 goals.

he didn't pressure the defenders, he didn't run after the ball, he goes down so easily and he took Danny D's spot who is way more effective than he is. So Yes Gerba did contribute to the loss because he was a waste of a player on the field. He was a total non factor as was Guevera, Brennan and others.

In my mind the only players who showed up tonight werre wynn and Vitti. That's it.
    Giambac. Put up 100$. We will see.

Etobicoke, ON, CANADA...the greatest country in the world!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The same USL team shut us out in two consecutive matches, beat us in one of them in "our house", and left us behind as they advanced to the group stage. This USL club is in fourth place in their "lower" league. Does TFC belong in the MLS? It would appear that they don't. Will TFC make the playoffs? I'll be shocked if they do. We looked slightly better in this match than we did in our first season when we set the league record for most time without a goal scored. Our progress from then to now is minimal. What a joke!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboyandhisdog View Post
    The same USL team shut us out in two consecutive matches, beat us in one of them in "our house", and left us behind as they advanced to the group stage. This USL club is in fourth place in their "lower" league. Does TFC belong in the MLS? It would appear that they don't. Will TFC make the playoffs? I'll be shocked if they do. We looked slightly better in this match than we did in our first season when we set the league record for most time without a goal scored. Our progress from then to now is minimal. What a joke!

Verry good analysis. I agree on all points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well hopefully 1 thing can come out of this.

TFC has been shown how a team should defend. If TFC could defend like that I wonder how many last 15 minute goals against we would have. Certainly not 11.

With some luck Cummins picked up a few pointers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post
    Well hopefully 1 thing can come out of this.

TFC has been shown how a team should defend. If TFC could defend like that I wonder how many last 15 minute goals against we would have. Certainly not 11.

With some luck Cummins picked up a few pointers.

We don't have guys on D who are sound defensively and who have good positioning. Wynne et Brenan are awfull at those 2 thinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Yep. And of all the questions to ask Cummins, the first would be if your strategy is to lob long balls to the top of the box (against a defence that's all over 6 ft), why the fuck do your keep your only tall striker out of the game until the 73rd minute?
    and there in a nutshell was the issue last night- along with setting out with one lone striker in a game in which we HAD to score.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I cannot believe it. We're done in early August in all competitions. Again.

F##$$%$#$%$$$%#@@#$$k!
    we won the canadian championship, out of the CCL, and still in the running for the MLS playoffs....much better then this time last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    we won the canadian championship, out of the CCL, and still in the running for the MLS playoffs....much better then this time last season.
    We should've won in 2008 but Cuntingham fucked everything up.

MLS playoffs....we were still in contention when we beat Chicago but other teams didn't hold up their end and out we went.

How big of an improvement is this really?

If we've really made improvement then we make the playoffs CONVINCINGLY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bruva View Post
    A lot of the players/staff saw this competition more important than making the playoffs believe it or not.
    I believe it...which is why their poor play and lack of urgency is even more baffling

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bruva View Post
    A lot of the players/staff saw this competition more important than making the playoffs believe it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by VPjr View Post
    I believe it...which is why their poor play and lack of urgency is even more baffling
    I dont know if baffling is the right word.

More like terrifying.

I would be somewhat comforted if I knew the players/organization were giving the playoffs priority and thus the lack of urgency in their play over this tie.

If that is TFC in desperation mode, then I think 'terrifying' is the more suitable word.

Or pathetic.

Whatever, who cares? This team/organization sure doesnt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kind of relieved we're out of CL. We should be focused on MLS primarily anyways. Sucess in CONCACAF would be nice but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Having said that, we better f*%king make the playoffs now. The team has no excuse not to produce road wins, knowing that they won't be travelling to Mexico or the Carribean to play in the middle of the week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Referees don't win games...players do.
    refs do in scotland. i've got plenty of evidence for you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerba is the type of player that needs the midfield to press the attacking third so he can peel off or clean up a rebound. Gerba struggles because of the midfield, same with vitti. The busier we can make our midfield offense/ defense, the more we give those players the chance to do what we need from them.