Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooterTFC View Post
    Can we stop beating up our the coach, gm and players and acknowledge that we got beat by a good team. The Islanders won with great defensive play. Their backline absolutely dominanted both of these games. Lets give the Islanders some credit, they know their strengths and weaknessess and they designed and executed a game plan that allowed them to win. They dicated the style of play and dominated both games without actually dominating ball possession.
    I agree, the Islanders played a great defensive game, as we all probably expected they would do. The question is what did the coach tell the players in order to break through this? Isn't it his job to come up with a plan of action on how to beat the opponents? From what we saw tonight it seems like he told them to play the longball approach and pray it hits one of our guys near the goal who can put it in. The countless bad passes and "hero" shots on goal from way back can be blamed on the team/coaches. They did not play like a team tonight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Why not play it after, like the Pro Bowl?
    The MLS Cup is a better event this way. You have two games. You get all the stars of MLS in the city of the MLS Cup on the same weekend. If you're a supporter, you're guaranteed to see one of your hometown players in a game that weekend, even if your team doesn't get to the Cup.

The players from the finalists don't play in the all star game, but look at what happened this year - no one from DCU, TFC or NY played in this years game.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Reds just need to finish, thats all

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tlear View Post
    People have trouble admitting it but PR is a good team. Defensively they are a VERY good team. The long shots people are complaining about was kindof the last Hail Marry thing.. we just could not break them down at all. So we tried what we could but it did not work. When team packs the area those shots are a good idea, there are so many bodies on the way it is often hard for a keeper to see them and one can sneak in, or it hits someone and you put in a rebound.

Football/soccer is cruel like that I am feeling sick to my stomach aftert this. But season is not over we can still get to playoffs.. maybe
    Not sure people are saying PRI are a poor, I certainly didn't and others like Trane. What I do think, and this my opinion, is TFC have better quality and greater resources than PR and on "paper" should come away as winners. But the ball is round...that's why you play 90...etc...etc...

Very good defensively? Not sure...their keeper was excellent, they got some breaks...scored on one shot here...a post there...

Just like loses to Montreal and Vancouver...we lack something needed to win...tonight it was tactics...if we had scored one we would have scored 5...but I say that all the time. The hardest goal to score is the first and if you don't get it...your fucked.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    PRI played their 2nd stringers for that game.
    Interesting answer.
    But then people get criticized when they say TFC beat a third string Montreal team.
    Such is life on the RP forum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    I don't know either.
    But an educated guess would be what the rate per game is for a said player during the regular season.
    You may be right. I'd guess differently. I bet it's less than that. This league is ultra-cheap, any chance they get. If the number isn't public, it's low.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You may be right. I'd guess differently. I bet it's less than that. This league is ultra-cheap, any chance they get. If the number isn't public, it's low.
    League is but TFC is not poor. Any event it's not more than what they get now on a per game basis.
    But that is still more money, which is a lot. Especially for a guy making less than $60,000.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerba's gut was showing through his shirt. Nuff said. Dero was cack and so was Vitti. Guevara needs to be benched. Enough of the struting around stuff. I really don't know what you do with this team. Its depressing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't watch the game because I was busy at work, but just reading this thread made me glad I missed the game.

Is Mo still going to get his 2 year contract extension? If so, then how many of you are ready to protest or stop supporting this team until Mo and rest of British staff (plus their British style of play) leaves?

EDIT:

Newsflash: Toronto football does not equal to British football. We (soccer fans in GTA) want a team that can play beautifully. This long ball crap is so predictable and ugly to watch. Good job TFC for insulting soccer fans in GTA. MLSE needs to get rid TFC management ASAP. They're going to kill our fanbase if MLSE keep supporting this British management.
    Last edited by TFC07; 08-04-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Good post jloome...I agree with much of what you've said here.

You and I had words a couple of weeks into to the season when I was praising Seattle. I still stand by what I said and I think your saying some of the same...

In many ways Mo has tried to build Canadian/American but you need someone to "manage" that style on and off the pitch...like Sig has in Seattle.

Tactically we got it wrong tonight and I hold CC accountable. I knew what PR was going to do tonight and so did Chris. And they played it...we had no answers.

It's a fuckin' cup tie...

Tomorrow Celtic play Dinamo in Moscow a goal down, same situation as TFC, I can tell you how the game will go...and we may not be good enough to win but we'll have a plan and attempt to execute.

Tonight we were good enough and had no plan.
    oooh, a Celtic fan

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

complacency reeks from some of the 'untouchables' like Brennan, Robbo, Guevara, DeRo
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PRI defeat a blessing in disguise?

No 6 extra games late season. Better chance of doing well for league games.

The lads can concentrate on league games without distraction of CCL games

hmmm
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're 1 CD and 1 DP away from being a great team...

Mo make it happen or fuck off.

Enough with the DP has to be Canadian and in his prime BS excuses. Get us a DP that can make a difference now from any country - even Italy ffs... If we have salary cap for JDG we have salary cap for JP Angel II.

Now is the time. Make it work or say goodbye...

Playoffs or bust...
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champions League means so much more to me then the crappy MLS season does and the way the whole thing is set up. I am so disapointed in TFC...i feal like the whole season is pretty much done with now.

TFC gotta learn how to finish goals. Its pathetic in 2 games you dont score a single goal dispite having more possesion and more shots in both games.

TFC really let me down!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing pisses me off like a 'professional' team of quitters

Bad Form Tfc!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading all these posts, my head is still spinning. I don't know what's wrong with this team. 180 minutes and they can't score a goal on Puerto Rico?

Supporting this team is exhausting. This team can't make the playoffs. I said a few days ago that I thought they could if they played to their potential. It seems that they simply refuse to do so or the coaching is so bad that they can't. Whatever the reason, a team that can't score a goal in 2 games against a USL side definitely can't make it into the MLS playoffs.

So to end things for me tonight, I just have one thing to say:

Thank god the European season is starting soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet you for Mo a DP = Average player who played in a European league.

Therefore our new DP will be Djemba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm
    fuck no, Champions League is more meanningful then MLS. Winning the MLS cup means what??? you are better then 15 teams in MLS and thats it. If even that, you can finnish 8th in the MLS sesaon, just make the playoffs and then have a few lucky games and all of a sudden you are a champion. Champions League is a tougher road. Once you win or even just do very well in Champions League at least you know you are better then many teams from all across central, North and Carribeans rahter then you are just better then several other MLS teams.
    Last edited by james; 08-04-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    I bet you for Mo a DP = Average player who played in a British league.

Therefore our new DP will be Djemba.
    FYP*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm
    That's how I see it ... or at least, that's how I try to spin this disaster into a positive. We have to be realistic here - do we really have a team able to play competitively in the CCL group-stage AND push for the play-offs at the same time? I'm not so sure. I'd rather a successful push towards the play-offs than flop in both tournaments. We don't get to pick and choose of course, but now that we're faced with reality and left with just the MLS Cup, then sure, let's go for it.

Next year we'll be stronger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    That's how I see it ... or at least, that's how I try to spin this disaster into a positive. We have to be realistic here - do we really have a team able to play competitively in the CCL group-stage AND push for the play-offs at the same time? I'm not so sure. I'd rather a successful push towards the play-offs than flop in both tournaments. We don't get to pick and choose of course, but now that we're faced with reality and left with just the MLS Cup, then sure, let's go for it.

ya well now that we are out of Champions League we have no choice but to go for the playoffs.

But say i had the option and i could only pick 1 option, would i want to see TFC in the playoffs? or would I want to see TFC in Champions League Group stage? i would have picked Champions League Group stage!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    fuck no, Champions League is more meanningful then MLS. Winning the MLS cup means what??? you are better then 15 teams in MLS and thats it. If even that, you can finnish 8th in the MLS sesaon, just make the playoffs and then have a few lucky games and all of a sudden you are a champion. Champions League is a tougher road. Once you win or even just do very well in Champions League at least you know you are better then many teams from all across central, North and Carribeans rahter then you are just better then several other MLS teams.
    exactly what is the appeal of CCL? you get to play Mexican teams a few times?

how do you build a rep when you can't even win in your own domestic league?

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you win the CCL you go to the Club World Cup.

I dunno but playing Man Utd in a competitive game is exciting to me instead of a friendly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    ya well now that we are out of Champions League we have no choice but to go for the playoffs.

But say i had the option and i could only pick 1 option, would i want to see TFC in the playoffs? or would I want to see TFC in Champions League Group stage? i would have picked Champions League Group stage!
    Oh, absolutely. No doubt. The Champions League is and will always be bigger than any league in North America. The CCL is the prize for the winners (or, well, those who finish at the top in the case of the US, Mexico and some others). But, oh well, wasn't to be this year. That's football - and why did I fucking choose to love this sport anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good points, but you have to admit that the idea of seeing TFC play in Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, whatever, is a pretty exciting thought. Also, we're building history here. The CCL is new and not much of a big deal NOW, but down the line it would be great to see our name in the history books - at the very least as participants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only problem is they haven't played a Cl game in six weeks and have been slipping in the table in the meantime.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    Who we should blame in order:

1. The players
    2. The coach
    3. The Ref

We shouldn't rely on the ref to help us win games. We showed no desire tonight.
    We get the ball we, kick the ball into the air, we give up possesion, we get the ball.....................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In MLS season anyone can win. Any day and game any team in MLS can win. THe league is so close its crazy. 1 week you are in 1st place, 2nd week you are in 6th. To me winning the MLS cup has much less appeal then winning on a International stage. You play against more competitive teams. And not only mexican clubs, all across central america, because it seems 90% of the time MLS clubs also lose to teams from Costa Rica and Honduras. Competting in Champions League can get you more respect on an International stage and make you more known then just competting against other MLS teams week in and week out that we already know anyone of us can win. And also it would be great to see us playing in some stadiums with an atmosphere as crazzy as many europe stadiums rather then just seeing us play in places like New England where its a joke. I mean jsut great to see us play in a place like Saprissa....streamers, flares, 20 feet high fences to keep the crazy fans from running on the filed. It just be cool to see.
    Last edited by james; 08-05-2009 at 12:10 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good points, but you have to admit that the idea of seeing TFC play in Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, whatever, is a pretty exciting thought. Also, we're building history here. The CCL is new and not much of a big deal NOW, but down the line it would be great to see our name in the history books - at the very least as participants.
    other than Mexican teams, I don't exactly get a boner when TFC gets a chance to play such famous teams like Joe Public FC or LA Firpo or Real Espana.

I see CCL as too much of a distraction of building a stable and solid team that can compete in MLS regularly

your team can't even compete consistently in your domestic league, and you want them to play at another competition?

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. The likes of Pachuca, Marathon, Saprissa and Houston -- they have rep. They are national champions before making their way big into bigger comps. We have no name. Trust me, even outside Ontario and I'm not fucking tooting my own fucking horn, few people would recognize the badge of Toronto FC.

We are a three year old team. The way we played tonight, we are not Saprissa, we are not even fit to be playing in the same group as they are -- but that's a different story.

So let's win a title first. Show we can win in our own house before moving onto a big pond.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)