Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USL-1 in 2011

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default USL-1 in 2011

Assuming everything goes according to plan (and assumption) and Montreal, Portland, and Vancouver join MLS; USL-1 is going to be in trouble. USL exists according to its gate revenue and MLS is about to strip 3 of their top 4 markets. Montreal (12,060), Portland(8,544), and Vancouver(5,290) see far more than the league average of 4,678 and in reality really up those numbers. Without these three markets the USL attendance average this year would be a meager 3196. Can the USL continue to exist with these kinds of numbers?

Tampa Bay and New York are set to join the league in 2010. I am sure New York will meet the leagues average but I dont see Tampa doing very well. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely Miami will still be in the league see as how they barely fielded a team this year and continue to have just pathetic attendance (last 6 games didnt break 1000 and one game only had 348).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say MLS to buy out the USL

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    I say MLS to buy out the USL
    I don't see the purpose of that. We all would like to see promotion and relegation but that is not a reality of north american sport. Not to mention TFC would probably be in MLS-3 by now. There isn't enough interest in this league to start promotion and relegation. Furthermore, the MLS takes the USL franchises (and makes $35 mill a piece) so why would they spend money for markets they don't want.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I don't see the purpose of that. We all would like to see promotion and relegation but that is not a reality of north american sport. Not to mention TFC would probably be in MLS-3 by now. There isn't enough interest in this league to start promotion and relegation. Furthermore, the MLS takes the USL franchises (and makes $35 mill a piece) so why would they spend money for markets they don't want.
    so what if they do?!?
    if you are a real supporter, you'd still be there cheering them on.
    i know i would be.
    shit i cheer for the browns, and the bloody oilers in sports in north america. two great teams eh?
    you'll be showing your true colours if they're in mls-3 if this is something that ever happend.
    seriously?!? how the hell do threads like this show up?!?
    i'm not trying to flame anyone
    but if you go 'yeah that would suck' and start bitching. shut the hell up, this 'your' team. show the support.
    yeah we suck, we won't make the playoffs. i've already predicted that in my head for this year and accepted it.
    we're going to be a team like that, for a while. but I will always do the six hour drives for every home game i can attend (which is alot more then some season ticket holders i know that drive say an hour), so long as i can see my reds play.
    seriously
    get rid of these threads.
    what a joke
    judge me i don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ think you missed his point.

Many teams would fail completely if there was promotion/relegation was introduced in the near future.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh no i get the point
    just goes to show the lack of interest in a real style of league play like they have in the rest of the world per say you know?
    yeah i think it would be bullshit as well that teams would fail because no one ever doesn't go watch sports unless it's the top level in north america.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get what you're saying, but it is the reality of the sporting enviroment that surrounds us.

This is a very legitimate concern, despite not having a promotion system, the USL still covers a lot of area that the MLS will never reach. If the USL folded it wouldn't really be a good thing for the sport in North-North America.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference between cheering for the Oilers and a third division team. There is nothing wrong about the fact that teams who get relegated lose a significant amount of revenue in terms of attendance and what not. It happens everywhere around the world.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming everything goes according to plan (and assumption) and Montreal, Portland, and Vancouver join MLS; USL-1 is going to be in trouble. USL exists according to its gate revenue and MLS is about to strip 3 of their top 4 markets. Montreal (12,060), Portland(8,544), and Vancouver(5,290) see far more than the league average of 4,678 and in reality really up those numbers. Without these three markets the USL attendance average this year would be a meager 3196. Can the USL continue to exist with these kinds of numbers?

Tampa Bay and New York are set to join the league in 2010. I am sure New York will meet the leagues average but I dont see Tampa doing very well. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely Miami will still be in the league see as how they barely fielded a team this year and continue to have just pathetic attendance (last 6 games didnt break 1000 and one game only had 348).

The USL is going under is only a matter of time...what could benefit the USL is having clubs like TFC having a U21 team in there to help Canadian
    talent, Vancouver could do the same once they start playing....but the USL need to look at different markets, San Diego,Ft Lauderdale, Atlanta,
    St Louis, all markets they have been named for MLS but never quite made it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USL will be fine. It's not like Montreal/Vancouver/Portland actually contributed anything to the USl financially. They were just clubs in a traditional sense. They can be replaced. There's no revenue sharing or whatnot, right? Whether they have Montreal or Buttfuck, Nowhere, it probably doesn't matter. as long as they can find enough cities to have a respectable number of teams in the league, they should be OK.

In a way, it's a good thing -- they'll be forced to bring in new markets and spread soccer further rather than just sitting in old time markets.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USL has survived despite all the challenges they've faced.

They'll expand to new markets and put a soccer footprint on many cities that MLS can't reach.

Keep in mind that there is USL 1, but also USL 2 and PDL under same organization.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The USL umbrella is huge, and USL 1 teams are going to have some releaf from not having to spend so much on travel with the PNW teams gone.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    so what if they do?!?
    if you are a real supporter, you'd still be there cheering them on.
    i know i would be.
    shit i cheer for the browns, and the bloody oilers in sports in north america. two great teams eh?
    you'll be showing your true colours if they're in mls-3 if this is something that ever happend.
    seriously?!? how the hell do threads like this show up?!?
    i'm not trying to flame anyone
    but if you go 'yeah that would suck' and start bitching. shut the hell up, this 'your' team. show the support.
    yeah we suck, we won't make the playoffs. i've already predicted that in my head for this year and accepted it.
    we're going to be a team like that, for a while. but I will always do the six hour drives for every home game i can attend (which is alot more then some season ticket holders i know that drive say an hour), so long as i can see my reds play.
    seriously
    get rid of these threads.
    what a joke
    judge me i don't care.
    You completely misread what I wrote AND obviously don't understand the point of this thread. I was saying that promotion/relegation doesn't really work in the United States, especially in a sport with such low interest such as soccer. Would I cheer for TFC if they were in MLS-3? Yes. Would my casual soccer friends who barely care about them now? No.

The point of this thread was not to discuss promotion/relegation, that was merely brought up. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the future of the USL after they lose three of their best markets.

I suggest before you write such a response you actual delve into the content and consider what is actually being discussed. Lastly; your a Browns and Oilers fan? I am a Toronto sports fan, every team I cheer for blows.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it wasn't an attack on you, and i apologise for that. i should have made that clearer. could have sworn i did in my pervious post.
    it was just me stating my point
    too many people say they follow a team. but the second they see something else shiny up the road, they're gone.
    i know i'd love to see promotion/relegation. it will never worked in north america.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching TFC play against USL teams I have to wonder how many MLS teams would end up out of the "Top Tier" after 5 years of a combined system...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victoria Highlanders are apparently making a push for USL1. I'd expect to see a few other of the more successful PDL teams "promoted" as well.

Oh yeah, and the whole "my support will never die because I'm a real fanboy" arguement needs to stay in 2007.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i never said anything about a promotion and relegation.
    USL could just be a developmental system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Victoria Highlanders are apparently making a push for USL1. I'd expect to see a few other of the more successful PDL teams "promoted" as well.

Oh yeah, and the whole "my support will never die because I'm a real fanboy" arguement needs to stay in 2007.
    Moving to the USL-1 would mean more revenue from Canadian championship and a shot at champions league money. Hamilton would like to join as well pending approval of funds for a new Ticat stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    i never said anything about a promotion and relegation.
    USL could just be a developmental system
    i would like to see this. some sort of development/reserve system like nfl had in nfl europe.

put some restrictions on it (just pulling this out my ass for arguments sake):

-an MLS team can form a "partnership" with any USL team and are allowed to assign up to 5 contracts to any USL club
    -a maximum of 3 senior contracts making up that 5
    -do something trophymanager like where any player assigned to USL will stay there for a minimum of 3 weeks (so we dont screw too much with the USL squad)
    -put some kind of upper limit on it too, like no player can be assigned to the USL club for more than 70% of the season over a 2 year window.
    -3 out of every 5 players assigned no longer take up a roster spot (provides roster size relief, but only up to a certain point)
    -players assigned to USL club who are still taking up a roster spot are now 100% cap exempt, while those who no longer take up a roster spot are 50% exempt.

i tried to put something with pros/cons so a team can't just store 5 extra guys in some other league for a rainy day. you HAVE to use them at some point, so it makes sure they will be useful players to the club.
    Last edited by mmmikey; 08-06-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC London has a USL-1 quality operation, they will move up soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    oh no i get the point
    just goes to show the lack of interest in a real style of league play like they have in the rest of the world per say you know?
    yeah i think it would be bullshit as well that teams would fail because no one ever doesn't go watch sports unless it's the top level in north america.
    That's not true at all. Look at the attendance of NCAA football and basketball. MLS would wet itself for those kinds of numbers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Des Moines pdl team averages around 3k, they'd be a good USL-1 team. I'd love to see Victoria and Hamilton make the jump but I question the logistics of Victoria joining because no USL 1 or 2 team is even near the west coast come 2011.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamilton would be great. Will we lose some TFC fans if that happens? Nutralite Cdn Championships would be more interesting.

I know, I know. The faithful will be there. But we'd lose a few casuals...and maybe just maybe one day.... not sell out the stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USL can be MLS 2nd division!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man ... it will be awesome if Victoria, Hamilton and London are able to join USL 1 sometime in the near future. The Canadian Championship tournament will be so much better and meaningful, especially after Vancouver and Montreal join the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmikey View Post
    i would like to see this. some sort of development/reserve system like nfl had in nfl europe.

put some restrictions on it (just pulling this out my ass for arguments sake):

-an MLS team can form a "partnership" with any USL team and are allowed to assign up to 5 contracts to any USL club
    -a maximum of 3 senior contracts making up that 5
    -do something trophymanager like where any player assigned to USL will stay there for a minimum of 3 weeks (so we dont screw too much with the USL squad)
    -put some kind of upper limit on it too, like no player can be assigned to the USL club for more than 70% of the season over a 2 year window.
    -3 out of every 5 players assigned no longer take up a roster spot (provides roster size relief, but only up to a certain point)
    -players assigned to USL club who are still taking up a roster spot are now 100% cap exempt, while those who no longer take up a roster spot are 50% exempt.

i tried to put something with pros/cons so a team can't just store 5 extra guys in some other league for a rainy day. you HAVE to use them at some point, so it makes sure they will be useful players to the club.

several MLS teams already have dev teams in USL's Super Y division.. this isnt a new idea.. its happening right now..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CSL and PDL

Personally, I'd like to see the CSL and PDL combine and move up in quality to form a true national CSL, a "Canadian USL". TFC Academy and the Whitecaps development team remain in. Trois Rivieres, the Impact's development squad remains. London City is already in. Let the Americans have the USL-1 or something like it develop their talent, we'll develop ours, and then have some sort of interleague Canada vs. US cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not USL in ottawa? The soccer hype is already there from melnyks hope for an mls team, i think it could do alright and maybe eventually progress into a MLS team. They could play at the new landsdowne, yes its a CFL stadium but it has great location which would be a great plus for attracting fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Personally, I'd like to see the CSL and PDL combine and move up in quality to form a true national CSL, a "Canadian USL". TFC Academy and the Whitecaps development team remain in. Trois Rivieres, the Impact's development squad remains. London City is already in. Let the Americans have the USL-1 or something like it develop their talent, we'll develop ours, and then have some sort of interleague Canada vs. US cup.
    Meaning the Canadian teams from the PDL....I can't see the PDL division surviving long term as it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my idea is for mls to buy usl... and make usl the 2nd division nad have a promotion relegation system