View Poll Results: How will the game against the Islanders turn out?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • We'll win by the goals we need

88 62.41%
  • We'll win, but not by the goals we need

14 9.93%
  • We'll tie

22 15.60%
  • We'll lose

17 12.06%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The poll is misleading.

1-0 Win - gets us to extra time and if still tied, there will be penalty kicks
    2-1 or 2-0 win - gets us tickets to Columbus
    More than 2 away goals scored and a win gets us to Columbus

It's really simple, we need to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course TFC can win.
    Having said that I picked the Orange Troop to beat the Reds.

Wining at the JRL is very difficult. It is more than the humidity, the field, the rain. The Islanders have beat some teams there that they "never had any business beating". Cruz Azul, Santos, Alajuelense, Tauro...

I am expecting a very different style of game tonight. When Islanders play at home they tend to be a drastically different team. They attack and usually find the back of the net twice.

I can anticipate a 2-1 Islanders win type of scenario.

Islanders4Ever

For those of you that think that the Islanders will be bunkering down, there's a 99% probability of you being sorely mistaken.

Islanders are playing at home and with a 1-0 lead - expect fast and furious action from the forwards.

Also, just to keep in mind:

Islanders have only lost twice at home during international competition. Once in 2006, once last year - both 1-0.

PRI have never allowed more than 1 goal in international matches at home.

My pick: 2-1 Puerto Rico Islanders win it

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ hey! Who's watching the doors??? Are we just letting anyone in here these days???!!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Islanders4Ever View Post

Islanders have only lost twice at home during international competition. Once in 2006, once last year - both 1-0.
    Stats are fun. They've only played 9 total games at home in International Competition and largely against powerhouses from Antigua and Trinidad.

But hey, skew away.

There's a first time for everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll win, we'll do it with a goal to spare. On the balacne of the last game (yeah, we lost, but luck had a lot do with that. 17-6 in shots for crissake) we should be able to score two or three on puerto rico.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you that think that the Islanders will be bunkering down, there's a 99% probability of you being sorely mistaken.

Islanders are playing at home and with a 1-0 lead - expect fast and furious action from the forwards.

My pick: 2-1 Puerto Rico Islanders win it
    Idiotic homerism. THey'll bunker down if they don't have a choice and are pinned back all night. TFC has the talent to do that; Puerto Rico doesn't.

In fact, the only way you advance tonight is bunkering down, on the away goals rule, and hoping for a 0-0 tie or a 1-0 TFC win with beneficial PKs. \

Why? Because if we can volley off 17 shots when you're playing nine behind the ball, as was the case at BMO, then TFC will run up the score if Puerto Rico actually tries to play offensively.

Nope, this'll be another case of Puerto Rico playing defensive, crowd-killing, shitty luckball. It'll do the whole tournament a favour if we knock you guys out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Stats are fun.
    True kinda like Ginger vs Maryanne...
    They've only played 9 total games at home in International Competition and largely against powerhouses from Antigua and Trinidad.
    Cruz Azul, Santos, Alajuelense--they don't fall in to the above category.
    There's a first time for everything.
    And that, Sir is why we play the games. We could go down or we could try to be the first USL club to beat a superior TFC twice in a week. That is the great thing aout competing. That is what makes a tournament like this so special...

Islanders4Ever

Ha, so much hate.

Yeah we faced some not so well know teams, but then again - it's not like TFC is Barcelona.

Also, you forget that we beat major teams like LD Alajuelense 2-1, CD Marathon 2-1, and Cruz Azul 2-0. I'm sorry but those clubs are much better teams than TFC right now.

While I am not saying it's easy, and there's a good chance TFC will win - it's hard to take seriously a lot of the comments and 'predictions' flying around here seeing as last week they were predicting 3-0, etc victories for TFC.

1-0 in Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, you forget that we beat major teams like LD Alajuelense 2-1, CD Marathon 2-1, and Cruz Azul 2-0. I'm sorry but those clubs are much better teams than TFC right now.
    Cruz Azul, yes. Alajuelense and Marathon, no.

You need to get the chip off your shoulder, dude. You always talk about the 3-0 predictions from last week, but from what I saw there were very few of those. Most predictions were for a hard fought game, with TFC winning by 1 at most.

You of course decided to focus on the minority of postings and pass them off as the general sentiment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post

You need to get the chip off your shoulder, dude. You always talk about the 3-0 predictions from last week, but from what I saw there were very few of those. Most predictions were for a hard fought game, with TFC winning by 1 at most.

You of course decided to focus on the minority of postings and pass them off as the general sentiment.
    He also passes realism off as "hating." Dude, I seriously doubt anyone here hates Puerto Rico. Hell, if I could afford a house there right now, I'd probably love Puerto Rico.

It's just realism. Yes, you have to play the game to get the result, but being outshot 17-6 and winning on one of just two shots on goal? That's luck that doesn't usually bounce a team's way twice. Maybe it will, but the odds would be against it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Idiotic homerism.
    Your'e throwing out the "idiot" and the "Homer" cards???

We have seen our club play a lot. Maybe you didn't se us beat Cruz Azul and Santos at home.
    THey'll bunker down if they don't have a choice and are pinned back all night. TFC has the talent to do that; Puerto Rico doesn't.
    You have a very talented club. No argument there.
    In fact, the only way you advance tonight is bunkering down, on the away goals rule, and hoping for a 0-0 tie or a 1-0 TFC win with beneficial PKs.
    If we can beat Cruz Azul or Santos and get a couple goals doing it then we are capable of scoring one against TFC. If we get the first one, the pressure will be on your guys.
    Why? Because if we can volley off 17 shots when you're playing nine behind the ball, as was the case at BMO, then TFC will run up the score if Puerto Rico actually tries to play offensively.
    Nope, this'll be another case of Puerto Rico playing defensive, crowd-killing, shitty luckball. It'll do the whole tournament a favour if we knock you guys out.
    I'm not even tripping over that one. That is a matter of opinion.
    I'm only interested in advancing. The beauty contest thing--I'll leave that for those who care about that sort of thing. To each their own. It's up to team with the superior talent to go and get the result. We'll see how it plays out...

I've seen this flick before already: For some, and it looks like might be the same for you--

If we lose then we were supposed to.
    If we win then we didn't "deserve" to.

Either way, the pressure is on the more talented club, the one with the big advantage in resources.

Sharks are supposed to eat minnows...
    Last edited by yankiboy; 08-04-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welll you guys are right and Islanders is wrong ... at least on the results... and he calls me a Troll lol....

BTW my Prediction: 2-1 Islanders pass on AGG.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy guys. I think we can have discussions about this game without resorting to personal jabs. I am talking to both sides.

As for our visitors, please remember you are on a TFC board. We welcome visitors here from other teams, but please avoid anything that might antagonize. I realize some of our members are easily riled up, but please keep that in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Welll you guys are right and Islanders is wrong ... at least on the results... and he calls me a Troll lol....

lol, just want to see both clubs play a real game without exaggerated time wasting or diving from any side. and please have a good ref that can make good calls for both teams...

'neway, i'm leaving Isla Verde in 55 minutes, going to give you a call when I get to the stadium sage.

of course, i hope TFC will win by a final of 2-1
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

realized the polls inaccurate after i posted it.

i apologize, now watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaCGzOMwPOI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat will no doubt effect Gerba as his fitness level isn't up to par just yet.
    Not sure OBW will see the field unless the scoreline is heavily in our favour.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way you guys score 2 goals playing everyone in the back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha, so much hate.

Yeah we faced some not so well know teams, but then again - it's not like TFC is Barcelona.

While I am not saying it's easy, and there's a good chance TFC will win - it's hard to take seriously a lot of the comments and 'predictions' flying around here seeing as last week they were predicting 3-0, etc victories for TFC.

1-0 in Toronto
    Alajuelense?!?! Bhahahahhaha I can't say that name without laughing...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K, TFC gets 2 goals before the 60th min. Then defends for their friggin life w/ 6 defenders behind the ball. The just playing posession footy killing the game off.
    OOhh..

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which are the 13 twats that voted we will lose?

Holy fuck, this board really gets on my nerves sometimes.
    Bite me.

I was there - Montreal 18/6/09 - 6-1 baby!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    No way you guys score 2 goals playing everyone in the back.
    Well... If one can believe what CC ("The General") said... we wil be playing offense from the upstart... looking for the early home goal.

I just hope this isnt another alajuelense... we won that game on the last 5 minutes via 2 goals. That's why we call last 10 minute goals... ALAJUELAZO lol..

@Pekduck... I'm suppsoed to be getting there around 6:00... program's @ 6:30... but my prob is I'm still without my car, and my sister is driving in from the university in Ponce with the vehicule we use for our job. But I know I'll be at the stadium at that time one way or another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by English Rachel View Post
    Which are the 13 twats that voted we will lose?

Holy fuck, this board really gets on my nerves sometimes.
    I'd be one of those twats lol

Islanders4Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post

Sadly, it seems most MLS fans believe that the only other league in CONCACAF worth anything is the Mexican league. While the Costa Rican and Hoduran leagues overall might not be better than MLS - the top clubs in those leagues are more talented than most MLS sides.

Still, that's not the point. There's no chip on my shoulder. I know TFC has the best chance of advancing and have more talent (hell, you guys have 7 times to $$.

Seeing how TFC has been treated in the past by the rest of MLS - I was expecting a little more analysis on some people's parts. It seemed to me there were a lot of "this match will be easy" comments - but it's all a matter of perception.

The Islanders know how to get the job done and tonight will be a tough match for both sides.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be one of those twats lol
    But there aren't 13 PR fans on here, are there? I know you are one and yanki and Islanders...
    Bite me.

I was there - Montreal 18/6/09 - 6-1 baby!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my two predictions...

1. TFC 3 - 1 (Dero 2, Vitti 1)

2. we dont see an islander fan post here again until next year at the earliest...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    my two predictions...

2. we dont see an islander fan post here again until next year at the earliest...
    How much you want to bet? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He also passes realism off as "hating." Dude, I seriously doubt anyone here hates Puerto Rico. Hell, if I could afford a house there right now, I'd probably love Puerto Rico.
    C'mon Bro. You know gotta know that Dude wasn't talking about that kind of "hating".

And when you do finally make it down, be sure to let us know so that we can try and extend you some hospitality. Seriously (no sarcasm intended whatsoever).

You come down to DC to support your boys or for any reason and I'll look out for you the best I can.
    It's just realism. Yes, you have to play the game to get the result, but being outshot 17-6 and winning on one of just two shots on goal? That's luck that doesn't usually bounce a team's way twice. Maybe it will, but the odds would be against it.
    Yeah, you are right on that one. That is what I was trying to say earlier.

And that is why it isn't homerish to realize that Puerto Rico will be seriously pressing it's luck if it just sits back and plays scared without getting a goal first. It would be serious mistake to try and put 9 behind the ball. I'm not saying that it can't happen. I'm saying that if we do that, especially from jump street, if Puerto Rico goes down then I will be incredibly disappointed.

That has nothing to do with "sleeping" on the Mighty TFC and everything with not adjusting to a different set of circumstances. If that is the way that they are going to play tonight then they had better win because their is going to be a lot of anger and frustration if they play that way and lose.

We did that against Cruz Azul when we went to the DF and even with a man down, we didn't get it done that way. We showed them too much respect it cost us. Even though they were better, that game should never have gone to penalties.

I agree and I think that most Islanders supporters and players and even Front Office that I know realize wouldn't be realistic to think that we can try and get the same result after sitting back under siege.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much you want to bet? lol
    what currency do you use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    my two predictions...

If we lose, I'll still be round from time to time.

Even when Velez leaves, with DC United playing in same conference all.
    I cheer you guys whenever you play anybody other than my those two.

The only reason I had stopped posting here is because I got bumped out of the system sometime last year and was too lazy to register again until recently...