Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is Radz ignorant for not wanting to play on an artificial surface? Lots of doctors have told many players to avoid the turf in pretty much every sport. Does that mean those doctors are ignorant because they are cautioning players against it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Radz can score. I remember when he scored 20 for Anderlecht like 5 yrs ago.
    that crazy year when he scored twice against Man Utd and they won their CL group ahead of them. In the second group stage he scored against (Italian champions) Lazio when Anderlecht beat both them and Real Madrid at home. Shame he was out in the international cold back then.

vs. Man Utd:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7hZS8CZps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIrNtI7dkp4

vs. Lazio:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SIhcLR3Ie8

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How is Radz ignorant for not wanting to play on an artificial surface? Lots of doctors have told many players to avoid the turf in pretty much every sport. Does that mean those doctors are ignorant because they are cautioning players against it?
    In pretty much every sport?

I wish we had grass.

Still I find it odd that soccer players bitch and moan about turf so much when American Football, Baseball, Lacrosse, Field Hockey and more sports are fine with it.

All in all there's hundreds of thousands of amatuer and pro athletes playing on turf all the time that are happier than pigs in shit.

It just seems to be soccer players that have the big beef with it.

I wish we had grass but I still think soccer players are prima donnas with their attitudes on turf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunner View Post
    In pretty much every sport?

I wish we had grass.

Still I find it odd that soccer players bitch and moan about turf so much when American Football, Baseball, Lacrosse, Field Hockey and more sports are fine with it.

All in all there's hundreds of thousands of amatuer and pro athletes playing on turf all the time that are happier than pigs in shit.

It just seems to be soccer players that have the big beef with it.

I wish we had grass but I still think soccer players are prima donnas with their attitudes on turf.
    Baseball players are far from being fine with the turf. I don't think you follow the Jays much. Every year there seems to be a positional player who wants to leave Toronto because of the turf.

Also, obviously the American football players don't care about the turf. They wear tremendous amounts of protective gear all over their body. Besides, the nature of the game itself is hardly affected by the turf (since the ball barely ever touches the turf while still being in play) so the uneven bounces and such are a non-issue. Same applies for Lacrosse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's ignorant because it goes against all the scientific studies of field turf.
    No studies have shown fieldturf is worse than grass in injury terms. Actually, in certain types of injuries, fieldturf is better. I have no idea who the doctors are you are citing, but I've seen the studies of fieldturf and read them in detail. There's no evidence to back any plater's hate for fieldturf.

Having a bias against fieldturf in the face of no scientific proof is the definition of "ignorant".

Paul Winsper himself said fieldturf doesn't cause injuries, bad training does.
    The work he's done so far seems to attest to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baseball players are far from being fine with the turf. I don't think you follow the Jays much. Every year there seems to be a positional player who wants to leave Toronto because of the turf. .
    And who is this? Name names. I follow the Jays and don't see mass exoduses of players to get off turf. I see players signing long term contracts to stay on the team (Rios, Wells, Aaron Hill.......).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    he's ignorant because it goes against all the scientific studies of field turf.
    No studies have shown fieldturf is worse than grass in injury terms. Actually, in certain types of injuries, fieldturf is better. I have no idea who the doctors are you are citing, but I've seen the studies of fieldturf and read them in detail. There's no evidence to back any plater's hate for fieldturf.

Having a bias against fieldturf in the face of no scientific proof is the definition of "ignorant".

Paul Winsper himself said fieldturf doesn't cause injuries, bad training does.
    The work he's done so far seems to attest to that.
    What's ignorant is expecting a player to agree with the 'corporate sponsored' scientific community when his own experience is contrary to those findings.

Players hate it, the ones who can afford to, avoid it.

Radz can afford to.

olegunnar

Baseball players are far from being fine with the turf. I don't think you follow the Jays much. Every year there seems to be a positional player who wants to leave Toronto because of the turf.

Also, obviously the American football players don't care about the turf. They wear tremendous amounts of protective gear all over their body. Besides, the nature of the game itself is hardly affected by the turf (since the ball barely ever touches the turf while still being in play) so the uneven bounces and such are a non-issue. Same applies for Lacrosse.
    You changed the topic from Drs hate the turf to the ball bounces differently....just saying.

That's also why I'm not going to even try to correct this second post of fallacies.

My question to you and everyone else why is it soccer players and soccer players only that bitch and moan about turf?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    a) they have to run non stop for ninety minutes on it, sliding like bastards across it, and causing each other to fall over in unusual and dangerous ways.

b) they have to stop on a dime and make quick turns, which can hurt if done without 'yield' in the surface. (I dont like that it has no yield - Ronnie O Brien)

c) the injuries they normally receive take longer to recover from, if they have to go back out onto turf, and turf increases the risk of a reoccurence.

d) fatigue is increased after a game on turf and takes longer to recover from.
    (It can take an extra day or two to recover - Andrea Lombardo)

e) The integrity of the game is affected, especially in the rain.

f) they grew up playing on grass, and feel more confident on it.

Oh and Rugby players hate it too, because they dont get to wear armour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    ^^
    a) they have to run non stop for ninety minutes on it, sliding like bastards across it, and causing each other to fall over in unusual and dangerous ways.

b) they have to stop on a dime and make quick turns, which can hurt if done without 'yield' in the surface. (I dont like that it has no yield - Ronnie O Brien)

c) the injuries they normally receive take longer to recover from, if they have to go back out onto turf, and turf increases the risk of a reoccurence.

d) fatigue is increased after a game on turf and takes longer to recover from.
    (It can take an extra day or two to recover - Andrea Lombardo)

e) The integrity of the game is affected, especially in the rain.

f) they grew up playing on grass, and feel more confident on it.

Oh and Rugby players hate it too, because they dont get to wear armour.
    g) players have enough trouble trying to get their clubs to release them for international games, without the added burden of the inevitable objection that their clubs have to turf (I'm convinced this is a big part of the CMNT players' objection to BMO)

h) the football bounces and skips differently on turf, and most players tackle differently on turf (as I've pointed out elsewhere, show me a clip of an Edu slide tackle at BMO - you can't find one!), resulting in a game that is a facsimile (sometimes a very good and very entertaining facsimile, but nonetheless still only a copy) of the real thing.

i) it's not just about injuries - at the end of their careers, players want to play for the sheer joy of it (at least the ones who can afford to want to, as Exiled said), and it's just not the same on turf
    Last edited by ensco; 06-09-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why FIFA created a rating system for artificial surfaces and launched their own medical study. If a player simply does not like it for the some of the reasons mentioned then sobeit. Other players will come here, and I don't think he would be much a difference maker in MLS anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunner View Post
    You changed the topic from Drs hate the turf to the ball bounces differently....just saying.

That's also why I'm not going to even try to correct this second post of fallacies.

My question to you and everyone else why is it soccer players and soccer players only that bitch and moan about turf?
    WTF? The point about inconsistent bounce was an aside. I did not change anything. And in case you are incapable of reading, I DID answer your question. Baseball players also seem to have problems with the turf. Just last year, Troy Glaus requested to be traded from Toronto for exactly the same reason. And he isn't the only one. You can do the research yourself and find out how many players around the major leagues always have something to say about the SkyDome, Tropicana Field and Metrodome. In addition, I don't follow international Rugby but I'm quite certain Rugby players don't fancy the artificial turf either. So the point about soccer players being primadonnas is completely false, unless you are willing to admit that essentially all pro athletes fall under the same boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    And who is this? Name names. I follow the Jays and don't see mass exoduses of players to get off turf. I see players signing long term contracts to stay on the team (Rios, Wells, Aaron Hill.......).
    Took me about two second to find the first example that came to my head (which also happens to be the latest):

http://drunkjaysfans.blogspot.com/20...3_archive.html

Find the following excerpt on that very page:

Appearing on the Fan 590's Chuck Swirsky Show, JP spoke with fill-in hosts Doug Farraway and Barb DiGiulio while the Swirsk was away watching the Raptors get pummeled by the Pistons again. It was there that the GM first admitted:

"We knew that Troy wasn't real comfortable on the turf. He'd mentioned that to me and he was looking to probably find a way to get out of here if he could. And we knew that he wasn't going to pick up his player option going into next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would welcome Radz with open arms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    This is why FIFA created a rating system for artificial surfaces and launched their own medical study. If a player simply does not like it for the some of the reasons mentioned then sobeit. Other players will come here, and I don't think he would be much a difference maker in MLS anyway.
    Paul Stalteri would make a huge difference on our squad, and he hates the turf even more.

DeRo(twat) has made a huge difference in MLS, and he's anti-turf also.

Why do we have to limit our domestic options to 'other canadians'

that's how we got Braz and Reda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Why do we have to limit our domestic options to 'other canadians'

that's how we got Braz and Reda
    I think the player pool is a little bigger than we give it credit for.

There are a few guys out there we should be looking at. Remember at an early age our two best players currently were cut from a German 3rd division and told they have no future in the game respectively.

There are a few canidates out there, but it won't be as easy as scanning fist wave's client list (which is pretty much what we did).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think the player pool is a little bigger than we give it credit for.

There are a few guys out there we should be looking at. Remember at an early age our two best players currently were cut from a German 3rd division and told they have no future in the game respectively.
    Sure. Great scouting will always pay off. But that's not the point here.

What prominent German player would speak derisively of Bayern Munich?

There's an alignment problem when your "flagship" national franchise is being publicly shunned by your national team players.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”