Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Philly to cap season ticket at 15,000 (sold 9,000+ so far)

According to Dills.....http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=64

They announced, during the Gold Cup game, that something like 9k+ season tickets have been sold to-date. And according to Mike Quarino, they are capping season ticket sales at 15k.
    Stadium capacity is 18,500. The Supporter Section is about 2,000 strong and reserved solely for the supporter group Sons of Ben. You have to have membership in Sons of Bens to get tickets there. Having a section exclusively for those that want to sing/chant will make for great atmosphere especially if it is 2000 strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think they'll end up filling that no prob and then have to expand in a few years.
    Sons of Ben is already larger than 2000 I think, so the supporters section is already full.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    i think they'll end up filling that no prob and then have to expand in a few years.
    Sons of Ben is already larger than 2000 I think, so the supporters section is already full.
    Should be an amazing site to see!.....WE'll never have a supporter section like that ....unless they put seating in the NORTHEND.The tickets are distributed by the supporter groups..and of course!!!..everyone is willing to move there!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From their club website

The Supporters Section will be filled with passionate soccer fans whose purpose will be to create an intimidating atmosphere for the opposition while cheering the team on to victory. In order to have access to seats in this area you are required to be a registered member of a Philadelphia Union supporters club. This section will stand, sing, and chant for all 90 minutes of the match. Please take this into consideration before choosing seats in this section.
    Benefits for the Sons of Ben Supporter Group:

1. Supporter groups get their own 2,000 seats section which they will control, separate from other sections.
    2. Supporter groups get their own entrance on the North East side of the stadium.
    3. Supporter groups get $125 discount on their season tickets.
    4. Supporter groups representatives can hold dialogue with the team's front office when the need arise.

More MLS teams need to follow Philly example of setting up a Supporter Section, exclusively for supporters.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dust2 View Post

Benefits for the Sons of Ben Supporter Group:

3. Supporter groups get $125 discount on their season tickets.
    4. Supporter groups representatives can hold dialogue with the team's front office when the need arise.
    $125 descount? I wonder how much they are to begin with, and if that's a one time offer to get people in.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm almost positive TFC would have been organized like this if they could go back in time and re-do it. Now it is too late because too many non-supporters have seats and want to stay put. Every year it gets easier to launch a new franchise because you can just look at the blueprints laid out by the last team to join the league and then just copy it and add slight improvements.

Should be a good atmosphere in Philly, that's for sure.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The $125 discount is taken when comparing the other endline ($400) with the endline of the Supporters Section ($275).

The roof would be better served if it's over the Supporters Section in my opinion. It would improve the atmosphere tremendously.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thing is... TFC didn't know that all these supporters would show up.
    It was a bigger gamble for them. The Sons of Ben are very well organized
    and the team hasn't even started playing. The TFC supporters groups
    existed well before the first game, but not in numbers like that.

^ comparable prices to our stadium, just in USD$
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    I'm almost positive TFC would have been organized like this if they could go back in time and re-do it. Now it is too late because too many non-supporters have seats and want to stay put. Every year it gets easier to launch a new franchise because you can just look at the blueprints laid out by the last team to join the league and then just copy it and add slight improvements.

Too bad Seattle didn't learn from TFC 'mistake' in this regard. In the sections that Seattle supporters (ECS) choose to stand, there are many casual/ family type crowds. These fans do not want to sing and chant and they probably want to move to quieter sections. Hopefully, Seattle front office can make that happen and allow these fans to move out and those that want to sing/chant to move in. The atmosphere would be so much better if it's 100% full of supporters (instead of 70% supporters 30% non-supporters).
    Last edited by Dust2; 08-22-2009 at 01:52 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post

When you're a pioneer in the league, unfortunately the problem is that you can't learn the lessons from others because they've never tried it.

What TFC was show the other teams the way, and now they've improved on it.

The plain truth is that the league and the new teams owe a debt of gratitude to TFC as well as Toronto supporters for showing the way. The league wouldn't be imprving this way if it weren't for the passion of the Toronto supporters or the vision of the TFC front office.

Unfortunately, when you're the first, you usually don't do it better than everyone else simply because they get to learn from your mistakes. I hope one of the goals of TFC is to improve on this whenever the stadium expands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya, TFC was definitely a pioneer.. I mean, wasn't the south end characterized on the seating chart as a supporter section even before the first season? I forget now.

I followed the naming in 2006, the Brennan signing, the opening up of season's tickets, and I don't ever remember anyone talking on the RPB board about how they should hand the ticket rights over the supporter groups to ensure the casual fan stays out or scalpers don't get in. Nobody even conceived of such an idea...... I don't think anyone would have until the first games were played anyways, since it was only seen as an issue once TFC got popular.
    No other team in MLS ever had such a situation as precedent for TFC to consider, and the supporters groups were not big or established or legitimate enough to concede a whole section into their hands a year before the team played its first match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is frustrating that, while SSFC studied and copied much from TFC, they didn't figure out the supporters group thing as well as Philadelphia seems to have.

Philly also has an advantage over TFC and SSFC in that, I think, they've only got the Sons of Ben, whereas we've got multiple groups.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new teams are really getting it right.

I think Toronto did the best they could at the time.

But now things have become very disorganized in regards to supporter sections.

The set-up at BMO right now needs to change.

Having supporter sections here and there is not the most productive situation.

I really see the only solution being a new North End Supporter Section.

All season ticket holding supporter group members would move into it.

All "supporter" perks would then be removed from the current sections.

I would be surprised if TFC does not do this at some point soon.

It's in everybody's best interest to make it happen.

It's best for supporters, sit down fans, soccer mom's, kids, and the atmosphere at BMO (which translates into more promotion and dollars for TFC)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Midfield tickets are still about $400 cheaper per season ticket (without including exchange rate). I actually find TFC prices comparable to other stadiums at the low end but higher at the high end. Go figure...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    When you're a pioneer in the league, unfortunately the problem is that you can't learn the lessons from others because they've never tried it.
    Bit of a stretch isn't it?

SOB founder and his buddies are former Screaming Eagles, which explains alot of similarities by both Union and DC supporters right down to their ticket control. So, if anything, the credit should be given to DC fans don't you think? Fact is, when it comes to SG, the standard has been set by DC supporters for more than a decade, yet it's such a foreign concept to rest of the fans in the league for whatever reason. Even in Seattle, I'll give props to their overall fanbase, but their supporter group still has a long way to go to match DC. I'll even rank Timbers Army ahead right now of ECS or whatever they got there in Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on the comments about the screaming eagles. for my money they still set the standard on a lot of things. to have done what they have with no "blueprint" is truly phenomenal.

Anyone know where the visiting support in Philly is supposed to go? It's never too early to start planning!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    new teams are really getting it right.

I think Toronto did the best they could at the time.

But now things have become very disorganized in regards to supporter sections.

The set-up at BMO right now needs to change.

Having supporter sections here and there is not the most productive situation.

I really see the only solution being a new North End Supporter Section.

All season ticket holding supporter group members would move into it.

All "supporter" perks would then be removed from the current sections.

I would be surprised if TFC does not do this at some point soon.

It's in everybody's best interest to make it happen.

It's best for supporters, sit down fans, soccer mom's, kids, and the atmosphere at BMO (which translates into more promotion and dollars for TFC)
    I'd also say open 127, 126 as 'supporter sections' so that we have room to expand if necessary (after this North End Supporter section)

though I'd imagine quite a few people in current supporter's sections actually like standing, and belong to no SG and don't want to move from their seats

hah. there is no ideal solution to this problem
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way we will ever have an organized supporters...is ONE supporter group

i like what flatpicker said...maybe TFC will work to that one day, it makes it a lot easier to "police" as well

the advantages for them if there was 1 supporter group, like take RPB for example, we don't do (really) stupid things...so they know we are self policed, in 1 section, with concequences in the group itself should we misbehave

it would be interesting!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...ot=mls&cc=5901

He can only hope that the product on the field is just as special. The season-ticket number for Philadelphia currently stands at over 9,200 fans, ensuring that the new stadium will be brimming with energy as more than half of the capacity is already presold.

9200 awsome

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI: the 2000 seats section has been sold out and according to Z010 on Bigsoccer, their membership is over 4800:

To the poster who said, what if SoB doesn't fill the section, our membership right now is 4,800+ and people are very concerned going into seat selection that they aren't going to be in The River End. To the person with the question about the legality, all recognized supporters clubs of 150 or more members who are in good standing with the team are eligible to purchase, but the order of registry with the team, I believe, allows the more established groups to take as much space as they need. The relationship is symbiotic, the team wouldn't be here without a lot of the things we did.

Our goal obviously is to fill all 7 sections with singing fans. Fortunately our Gold Cup experience has interested more fans. For many of the 31,000 in attendance that day it was the first time they had seen a supporters section in Philadelphia, and some of the people that were in it had no idea what they were signing up for. Those that didn't like it will hopefully be in another section come 2010.
    Supporters Section will encompass 7 sections (134-140).

p.s. The benefit of having a Supporters Section filled only with supporters is demonstrated by this J-2 team. They are just one among many J-league supporter groups and among the 'small' size. The biggest is Urawa Reds Supporters who numbered at least 10,000 for each game. Averaging 45,000+ help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vmdImCxx0&

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was honestly VERY skeptical about the choice of Philly but I guess I was proven wrong. Good. Hopefully they get 18.5k a game and become of the more interesting markets! Go Philly (Flyers and Phillies still suck).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI: the 2000 seats section has been sold out and according to Z010 on Bigsoccer, their membership is over 4800:
    I'm not totally sold on that number.
    First, it says its mostly unpaid for without the team ever playing a single game. How many are these disguised at scalpers just wanting to get into the section?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capacity: 18,500
    Season ticket cap: 15,000
    Season tickets sold so far: 9,500

Distance from downtown Philadelphia: 21.6 miles
    Travel time: 30 minutes (according to Google Map)

1,447,395 (city pop)
    5,838,471 (metro pop)

Stadium construction pictures (update weekly....with a webcam soon)
    http://www.facebook.com/philadelphiaunion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm open to the discussion on "only members" in a given section but there are a number of complications that arise due to the fact that we're sold out.

But keep talking... I'm listening. Bear in mind that at some point this discussion will move offline and our legal people will chime in. Here are some challenges that are worrysome because any TFC policy could ne considered precedent-setting for our other teams.

1- how do we retain control? After the issues with ticketing we've endured it will be difficult for us to completely relinquish control. Which would mean some sort of partnership with the club. Is RPB or one of the others prepared to meet us half way? A pair of Leafs season tickets can carry a street value of over $100k in the licence transfer world. Is TFC worth a tenth of that?

2- what makes a supporter? Paying a $25 fee? Some other measure? How do we resolve that with our waiting list? It's not a stretch to see someone just paying the fee to jump the line. Is that fair? I DEFINITELY see the benefit of having a full area of like-minded supporters taking what you guys do today and magnifying it. Would the RPB rules/standards stand up to the Ontario human rights rules? Can you refuse membership, and therefore access to tickets in a public building based on an individuals desire to chant and sing and make banners? It may seem a stretch but people love to challenge things like this.

Uh oh. More free market research. I feel so dirty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good questions, some of which we as a group have already struggled with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supporters Section will encompass 7 sections (134-140).

p.s. The benefit of having a Supporters Section filled only with supporters is demonstrated by this J-2 team. They are just one among many J-league supporter groups and among the 'small' size. The biggest is Urawa Reds Supporters who numbered at least 10,000 for each game. Averaging 45,000+ help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vmdImCxx0&
    They even do a Ramones chant in there!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I followed the naming in 2006, the Brennan signing, the opening up of season's tickets, and I don't ever remember anyone talking on the RPB board about how they should hand the ticket rights over the supporter groups to ensure the casual fan stays out or scalpers don't get in. Nobody even conceived of such an idea......
    I remember that we doubted we could fill all of 112, so there were discussions about whether we should pick the front or the back of 112.

So given that even we didn't see what was going to happen, I don't blame TFC at all.

As far as Paul's suggestion about meeting "halfway," it sounds like an open invitation for Jack and the rest of the leadership to open discussions with Paul, which is great. I would think that the sort of things that would need to be discussed would be best done offline, however, maybe with input from the members.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB, U-Sector, etc... to pay an equity position for the seats? That sounds nuts. Has RPB brass considered the work involved in this? We're a bunch of soccer crazies, not ticketing agents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    I'm open to the discussion on "only members" in a given section but there are a number of complications that arise due to the fact that we're sold out.

But keep talking... I'm listening. Bear in mind that at some point this discussion will move offline and our legal people will chime in. Here are some challenges that are worrysome because any TFC policy could ne considered precedent-setting for our other teams.

1- how do we retain control? After the issues with ticketing we've endured it will be difficult for us to completely relinquish control. Which would mean some sort of partnership with the club. Is RPB or one of the others prepared to meet us half way? A pair of Leafs season tickets can carry a street value of over $100k in the licence transfer world. Is TFC worth a tenth of that?

2- what makes a supporter? Paying a $25 fee? Some other measure? How do we resolve that with our waiting list? It's not a stretch to see someone just paying the fee to jump the line. Is that fair? I DEFINITELY see the benefit of having a full area of like-minded supporters taking what you guys do today and magnifying it. Would the RPB rules/standards stand up to the Ontario human rights rules? Can you refuse membership, and therefore access to tickets in a public building based on an individuals desire to chant and sing and make banners? It may seem a stretch but people love to challenge things like this.

Uh oh. More free market research. I feel so dirty.
    I think this is stupid idea. Who cares if DC or Philly does it.
    Supporters groups should not have control of their own section. It's creates so many liabilitiy issues, I don't even know where to begin.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SvenFlu View Post
    I think this is stupid idea. Who cares if DC or Philly does it.
    Supporters groups should not have control of their own section. It's creates so many liabilitiy issues, I don't even know where to begin.
    I don't think its a stupid idea but I do think we'll discuss a lot, and end up where we are today...which is not that bad. And you're right about liability issues.