Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as much as i would like this JDG thing done with and we can move on - where, anywhere does it say that?? the link that everyone keeps pointing to is the score link from the 26th, which is not conclusive at all.

it would be really nice to get the 'official' word on this and get on with it!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    This is what worries me a bit. I doubt very much that TFC will be seeing a DP anytime soon, let alone a defender. I hope I'm wrong.

As for Robbo...meh. He only meant so much to the team in the first two years because of how thin the team was on talent.

His game has changed one bit....it just looks a lot worse next to DeRo and company.
    Exactly ... Robbo was NEVER good from what I remember of him in the past two seasons ... I honestly do not understand why people continued to believe that he was actually the best player on the team. Even if he was the best player on the team, that should say more about the poor quality of the rest of the squad rather than the alleged good play of Robbo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is it really over?

I'm not a footie expert like some of you.
    I don't have insider conections like some of you.
    But I know a little about business.

I gotta believe that there is some significance to the timing of this whole JDG situation. The JDG rumours heated up after the team won the Nutralite Championship. The deadline to sign him was 3-4 days before the start of the start of the home and home series against the Islanders. I’m willing to bet MLSE execs approved the DP signing after we won the Canadian title contingent on having JDG signed on time for the Islanders series. The business case is simple, strengthen the team to win the qualifying series vs the Islanders and the team gets the extra revenue from the 3 home games in the CCL group stage. Each of those CCL home games is easily worth about $2 million in gate plus concessions. JDG pays for himself he helps the team beat the Islanders. If we beat the Islanders maybe the window for a deal opens again… if we lose then I bet its dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooterTFC View Post

I gotta believe that there is some significance to the timing of this whole JDG situation. The JDG rumours heated up after the team won the Nutralite Championship. The deadline to sign him was 3-4 days before the start of the start of the home and home series against the Islanders. I’m willing to bet MLSE execs approved the DP signing after we won the Canadian title contingent on having JDG signed on time for the Islanders series. The business case is simple, strengthen the team to win the qualifying series vs the Islanders and the team gets the extra revenue from the 3 home games in the CCL group stage. Each of those CCL home games is easily worth about $2 million in gate plus concessions. JDG pays for himself he helps the team beat the Islanders. If we beat the Islanders maybe the window for a deal opens again… if we lose then I bet its dead.
    Interesting...maybe. I would think that the $7M deal rumoured definetly included CL advancement...so yeah maybe the two are tied.

I have thought about this more and the more I think of it...the crazier JDG's position is to me. I think I can accept JDG taking a 1 year risk and playing in Europe because that is what he wants to do if TFC had offered him a 1 year deal...but to take a 3 year risk ??? Unless there is a club in Europe offering him more than a 1 year deal, then his decision just boggles my mind...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Wasn't the driving factor behind the timing when JDG was out of contract? TFC can't pay transfer fees so they can only go after players out of contract. Win or lose the Canadian Championship doesn't change when the contract ran out.

That's why Plan B for TFC isn't another DP - there's no Canadian, under-30 out of contract right now. The next target will besomeone who's out of contract next year. Who will that be?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    ^ Wasn't the driving factor behind the timing when JDG was out of contract? TFC can't pay transfer fees so they can only go after players out of contract. Win or lose the Canadian Championship doesn't change when the contract ran out.

That's why Plan B for TFC isn't another DP - there's no Canadian, under-30 out of contract right now. The next target will besomeone who's out of contract next year. Who will that be?
    not too late to search for out of contract European players right now.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooterTFC View Post

+1. Add to that the stronger possibility of playoff revenue if JDG plays in the second half of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a soccer guy. Not a business guy. But in my few dealings with business deals you can pretty much write anything into it. Everything open and written puts it on the table with respect. Nothing wrong with gentle leverage.

Can't we give him a depreciating offer? Give him the extension, but keep it in his control to decide when to sign. Drop his salary 250K a day until he says either forget it, or lets do it.

I say this because I really like this guy. I think he can bring a lot to the team. I think he can bring DeRo kind of heart and quality.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post
    Ageroo is going to be shattered lol.

Kind of relieved that JDG talks have gone off of the rail. Would have been nice to have him but if his 415K against the cap (200 this season) means we can get a couple of good players to fill in the holes. If Mo can secure a LB or a left mid (allowing Jimmy B to drop back) and a central defender, as a team I think TFC will be stronger.
    Ya…time to move on and agree with S_D's comments.

TFC was always an option for JDG but it was a second, third or fourth option. There are 20 or 30 teams in Europe he'd sign with before TFC, if he could…and who can blame him. What I feared was a Beckham scenario…a contract here with an out clause and if he excelled here he's be offski at the first opportunity.

He's a decent player…would have been nice…but obviously he thinks he can still play in Europe…good luck JDG…no hard feelings.

------------------------------

Just a thought, Walter Smith at Rangers felt Edu was worth a shot but JDG is still looking for a club? Not only that…some here would make him a DP? BhoyBobby?
    Last edited by Toronto_Bhoy; 07-28-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    not too late to search for out of contract European players right now.

It seems like MLSE have set up parameters for DP - Canadian, under 30, etc...

Maybe less money for a non-Canadian DP....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i still have yet to hear a definitive NO from JDG or TFC

all everyone points to is the really vague score link which was posted Sunday with no updates since which ends with the equally vague statement of "So that's where we stand as of Sunday night, be sure to check back to The Footy Blog for any further updates. I suspect there will be some more twists to this story."

nothing, absolutely nothing

where is everyone getting this JDG said no for sure shit from??

I would love this to be concluded one way or another but i have yet to see, hear or read it ANYWHERE!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It seems like MLSE have set up parameters for DP - Canadian, under 30, etc...

Maybe less money for a non-Canadian DP....
    Is this true ? Why would we restrict a DP slot to Canadians only ? Doesnt make any sense to me. Are we saying that if someone like Owen was available (and hadnt joined Man Utd), then we wouldn't have taken him because he's not Canadian ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just tiring, JDG can piss-off,let him come back after he sits on the bench in Europe for a couple of years!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pubboy View Post
    Is this true ? Why would we restrict a DP slot to Canadians only ? Doesnt make any sense to me. Are we saying that if someone like Owen was available (and hadnt joined Man Utd), then we wouldn't have taken him because he's not Canadian ???
    A Canadian DP is much more valuable to TFC. It gives us a domestic and leaves a foreign slot open.

Canadians come at a premium, and lets face it, there are a lot more foreigners out there to chose from who may be able to play at a price that is affordable under the cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he he he.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ever heard the expression dont put all your eggs in one basket

i say pass its to much money for one player and if he gets hurt we are sunk
    lets wait till he's 30 and he will play here for $ 400,000
    cant believe he is passing up playing for tfc he would make even more dough on
    endorsements and advertising
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for bringing this thread up again but has anyone heard anything about De Guzman lately ?. I watched the Cummins interview on Fox Sports World last night and he stated that the offer is still on the table but for now De Guzman does not want to come here. I read the BBC and Sky Sports rumours every day and I have never seen any comment about De Guzman. He is not listed on the Deportivo roster so it sure looks like he is without a club at the moment. EPL starts tomorrow, La Liga in a couple of weeks yet no apparent interest in him. Does this mean that there is still a remote possibility that he could come here ?.
    Anyone in the know who has any info please bring us up to date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VPjr suggested that Espanyol were thinking of signing him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    VPjr suggested that Espanyol were thinking of signing him
    Could be but I have not heard anything about this. I have an application on my Ipod called "iFooty World" which amongst other things gives news about all the world's leagues, I have been checking La Liga news every day for the past 3 weeks and not a mention of De Guzman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Could be but I have not heard anything about this. I have an application on my Ipod called "iFooty World" which amongst other things gives news about all the world's leagues, I have been checking La Liga news every day for the past 3 weeks and not a mention of De Guzman.
    James Sharman reported it on The Footy Blog:

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/arc.../07/22878.aspx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post
    James Sharman reported it on The Footy Blog:

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/arc.../07/22878.aspx
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another article suggesting the coach from Espanyol wants him. Interesting, it's taking this long. I wonder if money is a sticking point.

http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?ac...ad&idsel=40736

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy the kid View Post
    Another article suggesting the coach from Espanyol wants him. Interesting, it's taking this long. I wonder if money is a sticking point.

http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?ac...ad&idsel=40736
    There are a couple of factors:

a) term of contract. JDG would like a little more security than simply a 1 year deal.

b) the sudden death of Espanyol's captain Jarque last week has put everything on hold at the club.