RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post M.Campbell-A big league response and a mystery solved

A big league response and a mystery solved

Last week I criticized Major League Soccer for its tepid response immediately following some downright thuggish behaviour from Columbus Crew supporters during the team's loss at home to New England on May 24.
    For those of you who don't remember, fans in the Crew supporters section spent that game tossing lit flares, bottles and, eventually, an N-Bomb at New England players.
    I would have re-posted the video but MLS acquired the rights to it and deleted it from YouTube.
    Last night reporters across North America received an email from MLS commissioner Don Garber via the league's communications office, indicating the league is ready to take action.
    In his statement Garber explained that the league has been working with the team, supporters and security staff to figure out just what happened. He also said that because MLS values ethnic diversity it won't tolerate racially offensive language anywhere.
    Admirable, but a standard response to incidents like this, and when you see it you're never sure if it's just talk.

Read more
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS had the video taken down?

I think its obvious their real response to this is just to try and cover it up as much as possible.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I wouldnt call their response big league at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    MLS had the video taken down?

I think its obvious their real response to this is just to try and cover it up as much as possible.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I wouldnt call their response big league at all.
    Of course they had the video taken down. Come on, it reflects badly on them as a league to have it up. It isn't about denying it ever happened (they didn't, and couldn't if they wanted to), it's about preventing the spread of a potentially dangerous video. Although it is much harder these days, information control has existed since the dawn of time.

As far as the blog, Morgan is WAY off on our international spots. He only has to look at our roster to determine we have 15 (AFTER the trade) international spots being used (only 3 of our 18 man senior team is Canadian). Obviously we can't have only 10 (up to 12 now).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Of course they had the video taken down. Come on, it reflects badly on them as a league to have it up. It isn't about denying it ever happened (they didn't, and couldn't if they wanted to), it's about preventing the spread of a potentially dangerous video. Although it is much harder these days, information control has existed since the dawn of time.

As far as the blog, Morgan is WAY off on our international spots. He only has to look at our roster to determine we have 15 (AFTER the trade) international spots being used (only 3 of our 18 man senior team is Canadian). Obviously we can't have only 10 (up to 12 now).
    Yeah, didn't get were he was getting those numbers from either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

generally youtube would remove the video anyways as it's an example of "hate speech", which is against their terms of use.

We encourage free speech and defend everyone's right to express unpopular points of view. But we don't permit hate speech (speech which attacks or demeans a group based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, and sexual orientation/gender identity).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What else could they do short of banning streamers on the field, which is one more incident away from happening by the way. They don't know who did it and can't punish a group of people for the actions of a few. All they can do is speak out against it and if they find the morons responsible, ban them.