Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought we played well enough to win...but dropping two points is heartbreaking...I hope we don't need 'em at the end of the year, 'cause they were in the palms of our hands!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    I thought we played well enough to win...but dropping two points is heartbreaking...I hope we don't need 'em at the end of the year, 'cause they were in the palms of our hands!
    Agreed, this could come back and bite us in the ass.

We should have won, but it was the same problem we have seen before, that lack of killer instinct. Time for someone on the team to decide that they need to bury teams and give them no chance at a comeback.

I can understand playing a defensive game to protect the lead but you can't play it for that long. Last 5 or so minutes sure, but it seemed to me they were playing that style for the entire second half. It wouldn't surprise me if that last 3-0 loss psyched them out a bit.

Overall though I was happy with the effort. Not thrilled about the tie, but don't have that shitty feeling I have had when they booked it in like against RSL or Chicago.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Wynne had a decent game.
    Strong offensively but piss poor defensively.
    That's a problem when you're playing fullback, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

He's clearly not a footballer, Attakora's a superior player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhoybobby View Post
    That's a problem when you're playing fullback, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

He's clearly not a footballer, Attakora's a superior player
    I agree but I was trying to sugar coat it after all the uproar my thread about wanting Wynne sold or traded caused.

I_AM_CANADIAN

I liked Nana today. Barrett was working hard, but he could have done better with that chance he had. He took the most predictable shot possible and Onstad read it easily.

Also, today convinced me that we need more evening kick-offs. The atmosphere wasn't great today, for later kick-offs it's always electric. Obviously though, the lack of alcohol available in the stadium had something to do with it as well...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    I agree but I was trying to sugar coat it after all the uproar my thread about wanting Wynne sold or traded caused.

He's got world class speed & no football sense, poor positioning & gives up needless fouls.

He's not the best right back on the team, over rated footballer, decent athlete, taxi for Wynne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Irrelevant.

Bad example, the mall could search you if they chose to. It's private property, and the those in charge set the rules (as long as those rules do not violate Canadian Law).

Wrong, this is discrimination and illegal. Searching people on entry into a sporting event is not illegal and therefore fair game.
    Discrimination is NOT illegal unless it's a state actor or a private actor who is required to operated under legislation [i.e. employers, landlords, etc.] Being a bigot is perfectly legal. You can ban anyone you want from your house, but you gotta rent an apartment to them.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    You are blowing this out of proportion. If people got caught with booze, they would have lost their liquor license for the rest of the year. This would mean a serious loss of profits which MLSE would then pass on to you in the form of higher ticket prices.
    The only thing blown out of proportion was the approach taken by BMO. The level of security was disproportionate to the risk of people sneaking in booze. Not many people would have done it. And, you're also overstating the consequences of people sneaking booze in. If they kicked people out they saw drinking, they would be fine. Rogers Centre had a dry Jays game earlier this year and they didn't frisk everyone. Also, a liquor licence relates to serving of alcohol.

I personally don't like being treated like a criminal. I resent the assumption that I'm going to break the rules. Like I said in my first post, we don't let cops search us without reasonable grounds. Yet, we're willing to put up with it at a soccer game of all things? Sure, it maybe lawful, but it doesn't make it right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gueezer View Post
    Discrimination is NOT illegal unless it's a state actor or a private actor who is required to operated under legislation [i.e. employers, landlords, etc.] Being a bigot is perfectly legal. You can ban anyone you want from your house, but you gotta rent an apartment to them.

The only thing blown out of proportion was the approach taken by BMO. The level of security was disproportionate to the risk of people sneaking in booze. Not many people would have done it. And, you're also overstating the consequences of people sneaking booze in. If they kicked people out they saw drinking, they would be fine. Rogers Centre had a dry Jays game earlier this year and they didn't frisk everyone. Also, a liquor licence relates to serving of alcohol.

I personally don't like being treated like a criminal. I resent the assumption that I'm going to break the rules. Like I said in my first post, we don't let cops search us without reasonable grounds. Yet, we're willing to put up with it at a soccer game of all things? Sure, it maybe lawful, but it doesn't make it right.
    Does it bother you that they scan everyone at the airport?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only when they take my nail clippers

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

- Scott
    Being given a once-over by security is fine and I recognize this as a necessary inconvenience... But I was felt up three times. By a yellow just outside the gate, at the gate, and then again by a yellow just inside the gate. Slight overkill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post
    Being given a once-over by security is fine and I recognize this as a necessary inconvenience... But I was felt up three times. By a yellow just outside the gate, at the gate, and then again by a yellow just inside the gate. Slight overkill.
    I agree with that. Three times is completely excessive.

I was more getting to this idea that the very concept of "assumed guilt" in checking everyone, is wrong and offensive.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

I_AM_CANADIAN

OK, we're on the same page then...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Amado, Jimmy B, Wynne and Dichio were below average. I think Garcia will turn out to be useless. He is slow, short and only clutches and grabs to stay with players. What has happened to Marvell? He definitely has no soccer sense, but not even his speed was a factor.

If we finish our chances, we have 3 points. Misses from Vitti, Barrett, and others killed us as always. There was also a weak shot that Dero took that he started with his back to goal. He should have laid it back to Vitti who was facing the net. Why is it that Dero never passes to Vitti?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio had that one brutal miss too, off the feed from DeRo (I think).

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right, it was floated in to Dichio and he missed the net by 10 feet

I_AM_CANADIAN

His first touch really let him down, it took him too far wide. That happened for a lot of guys tonight. We weren't as sharp as we needed to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who is extremely pissed off and offended at patdown? This is Canada. We don't let our police search citizens without reasonable grounds, yet we were all forced to consent to a gross violation of our privacy and personal space. I was actually searched twice! I know the second time was because I politely voiced my displeasure and the yellow-jacket wanted to show me whose boss. [I really was polite. When the security guard asked my permission to pat me down, I said, "I don't have a choice, but this is really offensive.] This was a complete over-reaction. The assumption that we're all a bunch of scofflaws who are going to smuggle in booze is offensive. You can't treat people that way. Sure some people were bound to sneak in some hooch, but you don't use a nuclear bomb to get rid of an anthill. They could have used the extra security they brought in to do the patdowns to patrol the stands to keep an eye out for the few people who were gonna BYOB.
    CANADA's a police state! always has been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

- Scott
    No. And I recognize it might sound hypocritical, but the checks at the airport are more proportionate to the risks and consequences. Planes do get hijacked and the consequences are tragic. It's also different because you know before you buy a ticket you're going to have to be searched. I just wanted to go to a footie match.

Maybe I am crazy, but I found it to be a huge overreaction and a huge violation. And I took offence at being presumed guilty. I was also angry that my dad was told he was being searched for drugs. [For the record, police aren't allowed to randomly search bus passengers for drugs on known trafficking routes.]

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I'm a STH. I'd already paid for the ticket. They weren't offering refunds.

More to the point, BMO Field isn't a private venue in the same sense as your house is. It's more like a shopping mall and any other place where there is an invitation to the public. [Even more so because people have paid for the right to enter.] By your logic, BMO could ban racial minorities or homosexuals under their "admission policies." We all know that wouldn't be on.

I am not even remotely a radical. I'm about as establishment as you can get. I'm a suit who is as close to "The Man" as you can get. Still, I believe in freedom and this is an example of how we have allowed our liberties to be eroded. We no longer stand up for them. I don't want to live in a place where my 65-year-old dad has to lift up his ball cap to be searched for drugs just so he can enjoy an afternoon of footie.
    Clearly. Your analogy is weak, but thanks for trying to protect our civil liberties.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. And I recognize it might sound hypocritical, but the checks at the airport are more proportionate to the risks and consequences. Planes do get hijacked and the consequences are tragic. It's also different because you know before you buy a ticket you're going to have to be searched. I just wanted to go to a footie match.

Maybe I am crazy, but I found it to be a huge overreaction and a huge violation. And I took offence at being presumed guilty. I was also angry that my dad was told he was being searched for drugs. [For the record, police aren't allowed to randomly search bus passengers for drugs on known trafficking routes.]
    If you think it's an overreaction, that's fine.

But if the idea of presumed guilt offends you, then the level of consequences if you WERE guilty shouldn't enter into it.

I actually think frisking everyone was a huge overreaction - but I don't really see anything wrong with it. And it doesn't offend me either, for the same reason airport scanners don't offend me. It's not a matter of assuming guilt - it's a matter of not knowing who is guilty, and who isn't. And I bet they caught a ton of people trying to sneak booze in, too.

And the reason they did it, I bet, is probably because there was a potential for huge fines, or a longer license suspension, if anyone was seen with alcohol at BMO while their license was suspended for that game. And the only way to really ensure that didn't happen, would be to frisk everyone.

I don't suspect we will see the same thing next home game.

- Scott

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem was finishing.
    TFC was pushing for a second goal until near the end when Velez was subbed in.

BTW, contrary to some observers here, I agree with that decision, it was the right thing to settle for a draw at that time as it sure looked like we were going to give up a second goal and had to quickly solidify the back line.

To the one who said that Cummins "only subs for an injury," that is simply untrue. Velez for Vitti was a careful strategic decision, whether you agree with it or not. Now you might ask why he didn't use the 3rd sub. Well I was actually thinking about the question of a third sub in the last 10 minutes, and couldn't think of anyone that was on the bench that I would have preferred on the field, apart from Serioux, who was obviously unavailable.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Clearly. Your analogy is weak, but thanks for trying to protect our civil liberties.
    It illustrates the point that you can't do whatever you want simply because you own a private venue. It was an "over the top" analogy by design. [Whether is worked or not is a different story ]

I realize that I'm starting to look like I'm a crazy, but we live in a country where authority figures are not allowed to just search people. Yesterday, the Supreme Court acquitted a man who had $4M worth of cocaine in his car because the police had no grounds to search him [even though he was ultimately guilty.] http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1222134/ It all comes down to a reasonable expectation of privacy.

I'll drop it. It really pissed me off. It just struck me as really wrong, but it seems like I'm in the minority. [And the dripping sarcastic mockery is beginning to stain ] I'll see if I'm still pissed off the morning.
    Last edited by Gueezer; 07-18-2009 at 08:28 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velez was also playing up front as a striker when he got subbed in
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went to the game.

Missed beer even though I thought I wouldn't. I guess its true you don't know what you got until its gone.

Late Dynamo goal hit hard b/c it was preventable even though Houston was coming on strong.

I do think that BMO is unlike other MLS stadiums b/c we seem to get more reaction from opposing players that I don't see watching other games. (Houston's 10 with the mohawk)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ist half mediocre by our standards....2nd half we defended for 45 mins and paid the price...but a point is a point..

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crushed that three points couldn't be had. Mad that the tying goal was given up with the usually slop-assed defence.

Now of course Chicago, Columbus AND DC all win. From sharing the lead to hanging onto fourth. Two games up on KC and only one against Colorado (5th seed in the west). It's leaving us with almost no margin of error here...and that's what scares me.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sloppy play from Jimmy B cost us the 3 points. Hi-Def TFC was pretty cool but it really showed how badly worn the turf is......it getting harder and harder to watch pro soccer on such a crap pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw the huge line up at gate 1, so I walked down to the South entrance, had about 5 ppl in front of and I was in. I thought the double check was over kill, hard to believe some of you got tripled checked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to Security in the South Stand today.
    1- entering gate 3 my son was told he couldn't bring in a flag. I told the goon that actually he WAS allowed to as we were in the Supporters' section. He wisely chose not to argue with me
    2-special shout out to the goon in 115 for telling a STH that his kid could not stand on the seat to watch the match. He called for back up as a bunch of us were telling him to leave them alone and keep an eye out for real issues. His supervisor came over and sorted the situation out. Seems like over-enthusiasm from the newbie.
    Season almost done and these tossers still don't get it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I have to throw this out there, why is the south so reluctant to pick up on NEE's chants? At times the South was dead quiet and NEE heard perfectly, ignored, then a different chant is started. I don't get it. Not a criticism of the 112 and 113 capos, more a challenge, but I think they need to do more to unite the supporter groups and give a little meaning to those "supporters united" flags. Tale of two halves this game, both on the field and in the stands.
    Sorry Bobo...completely untrue. Maybe you missed it up but we tried to pick up 127 chants twice during the game. The plain fact is, it doesn't work well because of the speed of sound and the timelag. But we did try and we keep trying even though in my opinion it's a futile exercise.