Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gerry Dobson and Craig Forrest

What can I say? There are many of us who have posted recently about Gerry Dobson and Craig Forrest... they need to go.

In my opinion, The role of commentator is a criticial role for Toronto FC. You are the voice of Toronto FC and subsquently you are part of the product whether they play well or not... the commentator plays a crucial role on whether you stick around and watch the game or flip the channel. As a Toronto FC supporter, I have never done the latter. However, I've almost fell asleep on a couple of games with Dobson and Forrest commentating. It's that bad. I can only think of how many bad games Chuck Swirsky commentated for the Raptors... and each and every one of those games Chuck brought life to the game... somehow...someway.

This is not to say that Dobson and Forrest don't have a place as commentators... but maybe it's not for TFC and/or maybe it's not together. They are both too reserved.... There is no balance... they are both introverts... there is no yin and yang here... they are both flat yins... that's right I said it... flat yins

I can't remember a memorable quote that either Dobson or Forrest have ever had in regards to a Toronto FC goal.... EVER. The Miracle in Montreal... our greatest game EVER... and not one quoatable!?!? Nigel Reed on the other hand:

"Maurice Edu... They love youuuuuuu"

and thank God Nigel Reed commentated on May 12th 2007... who can ever forget those words...

Why are we settlign with sub-par commentating for these games? Who else is out there in Canada that can do a decent good job for our team - besides Nigel Reed?

I don't need a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLAZO or a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! but:

Will Toronto FC ever have a Chuck Swirsky? or a Ray Hudson?
    Last edited by FluSH; 07-12-2009 at 09:53 PM.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish Nigel could be the broadcaster for every game no matter which network carried it, including the goltv guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE needs to offer Ray Hudson a DC contract.
    Designated Commentator.

Nigel beside Hudson would be fuckin brilliant. They contrast each other but have similarities also.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post
    I wish Nigel could be the broadcaster for every game no matter which network carried it, including the goltv guys.
    I have no idea who the Goltv guys are... I mean I know there is a commercial where all the Toronto players yell:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL

But in my life, I have yet to hear a Toronto FC commentator say the above? Ever. It's just downright silly... I don't need to hear a latino style of commentating with GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL or a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLAZO!

But give me something like Ray Hudson if you want to keep it English... Tell me DeRo is half-man/half-amazing... tell me his flick-off to Barrett WAS MAGIC.
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh...as long as they get the names right and provide some insight, they're fine with me.

Nigel Reed has some obvious advantages...he shows more passion...but also makes a lot more mistakes.

Honestly...I don't have problems with Sportsnet's coverage. I have seen lots of different types of coverage, and each network and country has it's own style. Not everyone wants Mexican style Goooooooooooooool...I like Gerry and Craig, but they aren't my favourites either.

But to be honest...I've seen much worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe they'll bring him in for the Real Madrid Game

ray hudson that is.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Meh...as long as they get the names right and provide some insight, they're fine with me.
    So what you're saying is... Forrest is horrible right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nigel Reed has some obvious advantages...he shows more passion...but also makes a lot more mistakes.

Honestly...I don't have problems with Sportsnet's coverage. I have seen lots of different types of coverage, and each network and country has it's own style. Not everyone wants Mexican style Goooooooooooooool...I like Gerry and Craig, but they aren't my favourites either.

But to be honest...I've seen much worse.
    When Toronto FC scores a Golazo... and you know what I mean by a Golazo... When Toronto FC scores A BEAUTY... You need to tell the world... You are the voice of Toronto FC for those +90 minutes... you need to ring on God's Doorbell and tell him DeRo just scored.
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SJ broadcasters actually did an ok job IMO, for a bunch of Yanks

sure, they can't pronounce the guy's names, but they actually did some research on TFC before the game.

believe me. Dobson and Forrest are way better than some of yank broadcasters. Shep Messing makes me want to shred my balls into pieces

I always preferred a bit of neutrality to sports broadcasting anyways
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    The SJ broadcasters actually did an ok job IMO, for a bunch of Yanks

sure, they can't pronounce the guy's names, but they actually did some research on TFC before the game.

believe me. Dobson and Forrest are way better than some of yank broadcasters. Shep Messing makes me want to shred my balls into pieces

I always preferred a bit of neutrality to sports broadcasting anyways
    Save that for the World Cup... why in the world do we need to have impartial broadcasting when you are selling a product... when you should be bleeding red just like us... I don't need a biased commentator that will lie and argue with the ref whenever we get a bad call... no. However I need a Toronto FC commentator...
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me I want accuracy, and that's why I'm not happy with SN. Nigel has shown improvement over the first year where no black player was announced correctly once. And i do love Nigel's style because I dont like nuetrality in commentary. I'm not too bothered about the goal calls or anything, I know if it's good or not, and I dont tend to re-live the moments with the calls in mind or anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny when Forrest's chair broke last night.. there was this little laugh for a second and I wondered why he was laughing... nothing funny happened. then they mention his chair broke. hahaha.

I just get annoyed at all of the Gerry's mistakes. Right at the start of the game he made one and it was such a nothing statement... it's like his brain can't even connect with his mouth on the simplest things. And he still gets himself into some verbal diarrhea where he has to clarify a statement he just made (think of his comment about Brennan and the yellow card last night).

Forrest is OK I guess... although I find sometimes he gets that whine in his voice when he gets on a rant/criticism. It makes him sound like he's a holier-than-thou asshole.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    For me I want accuracy, and that's why I'm not happy with SN. Nigel has shown improvement over the first year where no black player was announced correctly once. And i do love Nigel's style because I dont like nuetrality in commentary. I', not too bothered about the goal calls or anything, I know if it's good or not, and I dont tend to re-live the moments with the calls in mind or anything
    What I am also bothered is with FOrrest constantly saying:

"He should have done better than that" or "As a professional he should have finished that..."

It is so predictable, Forrest gets an A+ for stating the obvious... his voice just booms arrogance. During the Gold Cup... how many times did he trash Sutton... I had to check wiki to make sure Forrest was Canadian... he was down right trashing him while Dobson was trying to get him an MLS contract...
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    When Toronto FC scores a Golazo... and you know what I mean by a Golazo... When Toronto FC scores A BEAUTY... You need to tell the world... You are the voice of Toronto FC for those +90 minutes... you need to ring on God's Doorbell and tell him DeRo just scored.
    Maybe. Not everyone wants that. I am sure there are people who would be bothered by that, not me, but there are so many different tastes out there.

Anyways, I am too busy being happy and celebrating after a TFC goal to care if the announcer is excited himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck neutrality.
    Remember the old commentator for the Buffalo Sabres? The guy almost had a heart attack everytime they scored a goal.
    People will never forget stuff like "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, its Alexander the greatest Mogilny" Or Pat LALALALALALALALAFontainnnnnne!"
    Homer or not thats both entertaining and exciting.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I should remind everyone that the colour guy is never the guy who gets "excited". The colour guy provides analysis. So to ask Craig to jump up and down is unrealistic. It's not what they are supposed to do.

Gerry on the other hand...if you wanted someone to get excited, it should be him. And I have heard him get excited from time to time. Sure it isn't "Mexican" Loco style...but I do hear excitement from him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know who's way worse though? The Gol Gold cup dude. Gol Gol GOOOOAL. I had to mute him, I was considering finding out where he lives. These days I really zone Gerry out, rarely even hear him so he doesnt take anything away from the game, but he doesnt add anything either. I dont mind Forrest really, I just think he's not progressing. And I like De Vos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

Forrest is OK I guess... although I find sometimes he gets that whine in his voice when he gets on a rant/criticism. It makes him sound like he's a holier-than-thou asshole.

Excatly... anyone here watch the Canada vs Costa Rica? Craig Forrest sounded like the biggest asshole towards Sutton...
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Fuck neutrality.
    Remember the old commentator for the Buffalo Sabres? The guy almost had a heart attack everytime they scored a goal.
    People will never forget stuff like "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, its Alexander the greatest Mogilny" Or Pat LALALALALALALALAFontainnnnnne!"
    Homer or not thats both entertaining and exciting.

May Day May!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I should remind everyone that the colour guy is never the guy who gets "excited". The colour guy provides analysis. So to ask Craig to jump up and down is unrealistic. It's not what they are supposed to do.

Gerry on the other hand...if you wanted someone to get excited, it should be him. And I have heard him get excited from time to time. Sure it isn't "Mexican" Loco style...but I do hear excitement from him.
    What do you call Chuck Swirsky? what type of style is he? He did start of with soccer... not basketball. I would love to get some tape of old Chuck Swirsky.

Also, Ray Hudson... I checked on google... he's not Mexican.
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on neutrality -- I'm a fan of guys who get excited when it matters, as I think Flush wants. It doesn't have anything to do with being neutral or not. it's about matching what's going on on the field. You don't have to lie when the game sucks and teams are playing badly. But the best guys are the ones whose voice sorta has the same pace as the game. If the game is picking up, you can feel it in the voice. When a guy scores a great goal (no matter which side), the voice makes it sound like a great goal.

I will say a good commentator makes a big diff in my enjoyment of the game.
    I loved Chuck Swirsky... even a shitty performance still was made better by Chuck cuz you could tell he loved basketball. But the new guy on Raps broadcasts is just so stale to me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've actually learned to appreciate Dobson, he has improved a lot since he started doing soccer. Of course, he still messes names up all the time.

Maybe I'm crazy, or maybe listening to the guys broadcast the Gold Cup on Gol TV has helped me learn to accept Dobson.

I think people give Nigel Reed too much credit. Its like he gets a free pass because he has a British accent. He is often boring and sometimes doesn't raise his voice for goals. Plus he has a penchant for veering off-topic a lot.

By the way, Ray Hudson blows. He's one of the absolute worst announcers.
    Last edited by menefreghista; 07-12-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excatly... anyone here watch the Canada vs Costa Rica? Craig Forrest sounded like the biggest asshole towards Sutton...
    sometimes I think Forrest sounds too invested in what's going on when he criticizes people. It's like the player banged his wife or something and now he's gonna GET HIM BACK!
    you can criticize but without that tone that makes it's the worst thing in the world.

I think he wants to sound authoritative when he talks, but it doesn't come off right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, Joe Bowen should be calling TFC games .

Seriously though, Dobson and Forrest are OKAY, but Dobson has constipation whenever someone scores. "deROSARIO SCORES!".

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you call Chuck Swirsky? what type of style is he? He did start of with soccer... not basketball. I would love to get some tape of old Chuck Swirsky.

Also, Ray Hudson... I checked on google... he's not Mexican.
    It's funny that you mention probably two of the most polarizing commentators in sports.

If you love them...you love them.

If you don't love them...you hate them.

There is no middle ground.

You aren't exactly using examples of sports commentators that are generally considered widely liked or praised. They have just as many haters and they do fans. And that's the problem.

For the record...I love Ray Hudson. Swirsky got on my nerves but I appreciated his enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on neutrality -- I'm a fan of guys who get excited when it matters, as I think Flush wants. It doesn't have anything to do with being neutral or not. it's about matching what's going on on the field. You don't have to lie when the game sucks and teams are playing badly. But the best guys are the ones whose voice sorta has the same pace as the game. If the game is picking up, you can feel it in the voice. When a guy scores a great goal (no matter which side), the voice makes it sound like a great goal.

I will say a good commentator makes a big diff in my enjoyment of the game.
    I loved Chuck Swirsky... even a shitty performance still was made better by Chuck cuz you could tell he loved basketball. But the new guy on Raps broadcasts is just so stale to me.
    Excatly. I hate many Latino commentators that are ultra-bias and play referee on television towards their team. This happens even during international games. An extreme example... Honduras vs El Salvador... the commentator was telling the public that the referre was Mexican and virtually trying to rally the viewers against the Mexican referre... I thought he was going to yell out his address at one point.

Any how.. a biases commentator that is blind to the game is not what I am looking for. I want someone who is excited when it counts... I don't want to hear a Dog show commentator talk after I land on my feet from a Toronto FC goal!
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is so predictable, Forrest gets an A+ for stating the obvious
    ^ my favourite: "he should have done better there, if that goes in, that's a goal"

Nigel Reed, some of the things he comes up with are golden
    ~ illegitimi non carborundum ~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny that you mention probably two of the most polarizing commentators in sports.

If you love them...you love them.

If you don't love them...you hate them.

There is no middle ground.

You aren't exactly using examples of sports commentators that are generally considered widely liked or praised. They have just as many haters and they do fans. And that's the problem.

For the record...I love Ray Hudson. Swirsky got on my nerves but I appreciated his enthusiasm.
    I don't watch Hockey... but is Hockey also boring and impartial? is the Maple Leafs commentator like Gerry Dobson and Forrest? same for the Blue Jays... I stopped watching after the strike... but how is their commentating?
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Julian Jackson.

Paul Sutton.

El Salvador (when Costa Rica is playing).

Mario Velez.

Dobson learns from us Americans how to call a game and pronounce names.

I don't get the whole British accent thing because I can't stand Nick Webster on FSC and he's British. I can't stand Tommy Smyth and he's Irish.

Dobson is okay the more I listen to him. But not great. He's bland and his goal calls are horrifying "DeRosario. DEROSARIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's probably what he yells when he shits.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sometimes I think Forrest sounds too invested in what's going on when he criticizes people. It's like the player banged his wife or something and now he's gonna GET HIM BACK!
    you can criticize but without that tone that makes it's the worst thing in the world.

I think he wants to sound authoritative when he talks, but it doesn't come off right.
    I agree 100%

I was embarrassed for Sutton after the Costa Rica / Canada game. No fellow Canadian should give another Canadian a tongue lashing like that on public television... not when he has a Family to feed. That was just wrong Forrest... no class.
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS