View Poll Results: Predict best rivalry in MLS 2011 (multiple choice)?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Toronto vs Montreal

97 53.89%
  • Toronto vs Vancouver

20 11.11%
  • Seattle vs Portland

73 40.56%
  • Seattle vs Vancouver

27 15.00%
  • DC vs Philadelphia

20 11.11%
  • LA vs ChivasUSA

8 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    People are hyping up Philly way too much ... I have a bad feeling that you're all going to be disappointed. Personally I think that Seattle and DC are as good as it gets in terms of football support in America.
    This is what i base my optimism on. From 2007, before they were even promised a team.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2.../sport.comment

"They're fans of Philly's Major League Soccer team. But Philadelphia doesn't yet have an MLS team. Which is to say that, despite having scarves, songs, chants, replica shirts and flags, they're fans of a team that doesn't yet exist. It's almost as if - in the manner of the South Sea cargo cultists - they're trying to will a Philly team into existence. They even organise trips to New York Red Bulls games, just so they can boo them. How hardcore is that?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    This is what i base my optimism on. From 2007, before they were even promised a team.

"They're fans of Philly's Major League Soccer team. But Philadelphia doesn't yet have an MLS team. Which is to say that, despite having scarves, songs, chants, replica shirts and flags, they're fans of a team that doesn't yet exist. It's almost as if - in the manner of the South Sea cargo cultists - they're trying to will a Philly team into existence. They even organise trips to New York Red Bulls games, just so they can boo them. How hardcore is that?"
    Yeah I'm aware of the SOBs but its still too early to judge whether they are a very small minority or the "tip of the iceberg" so to speak of the football support in Philly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly -DC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post

lol. that's so awesome
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yeah I'm aware of the SOBs but its still too early to judge whether they are a very small minority or the "tip of the iceberg" so to speak of the football support in Philly.
    if Toronto and Seattle experience taught us anything, it's that enthusiasm is infectious
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm closest to the Seattle/Portland/Vancouver scene, so went with Seattle v. Portland. Portland has a strong "little brother" thing when it comes to Seattle, so they're ALL about hating Seattle. That's the main thing that drives the rivalry, along with a long shared history. While both have a rivalry from NASL days with Vancouver, everybody kind of likes Vancouver, so it isn’t quite as passionate.

That said, Montreal v. TFC could be pretty epic, assuming Montreal gets in MLS. Philly v. Energy Soft Drink should be pretty good too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing will touch portland/seattle... if montreal fans step up their game, then toronto/montreal could be as big.

DC and Philly could be fuckin wicked, too.

LA/Chivas? Toronto/Vancouver?

give me a break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle Portland hands down....

HOnestly MOntreal's Supporters Group at the momment it not big enough to create a big rivalry....they can't even fill a bus!.....Unless they can expand to huge masses it will only be another game.

I hope when philly come to town....TFC will some how put in 500 TEMP seats for there supporters im sure they will fill them!
    Last edited by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB; 07-02-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    nothing will touch portland/seattle... if montreal fans step up their game, then toronto/montreal could be as big.

DC and Philly could be fuckin wicked, too.

LA/Chivas? Toronto/Vancouver?

give me a break.
    exactly.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't overestimate the support in Montreal. They have maybe a hundred "ultras" but the team mostly markets to soccer moms, presenting the games as "family-friendly events". Also, the reason why they fill their 13,000-seat stadium is because tickets are dirt-cheap.

I read the Montreal papers almost every day (I grew up there) and even in the summer, there is only one pro sport team in Montreal, and they wear a CH on their red white and blue jerseys.

Like someone mentioned, the rivalry in the stands would be completely one-sided.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What about Toronto Shitcago??

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    What about Toronto Shitcago??
    seriously?

what did chicago do to deserve our hate lol

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
    Don't overestimate the support in Montreal. They have maybe a hundred "ultras" but the team mostly markets to soccer moms, presenting the games as "family-friendly events". Also, the reason why they fill their 13,000-seat stadium is because tickets are dirt-cheap.

I read the Montreal papers almost every day (I grew up there) and even in the summer, there is only one pro sport team in Montreal, and they wear a CH on their red white and blue jerseys.

Like someone mentioned, the rivalry in the stands would be completely one-sided.

You know how Columbus supporters groups basically started after we took over their stadium last year? If we could cause that kind of reaction in Columbus, what do you think it'd be in Montreal? Montrealers aren't stupid. They know that USL isn't MLS (whether thats good or bad, thats the impression), and until they're on equal footing with Toronto they'll always be in the 'lower league'. They get up to the big time though and I have full faith they'll come out.

Also GREAT call on Toronto Philly. We have a TON of history with them already. Can we start a Mitch Williams chant that first away game?! A good ole Joe Carter works too! I dunno how much the win last year helped, but as of a few years ago when I was at school with a guy from Philly, it stttiiill hurt. And of course those playoff battles too (they alllll remember Tucker RUINING..... shit! whats his name! FUCK! You guys know what I mean. Kaponen? Something like that?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive got friends in Philly and some of em follow footie, some dont, the few that do are into it but arent super psyched and i highly doubt that a sincere rivalry will develop between the two towns, as previously mentioned they already have existing rivalries with NY and DC, those are more likely to blow up than one with Toronto. Its like the nonexistant rivalry we have with NY, it would be very one sided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the only reason this isn't too much of a landslide for Toronto - Montreal is that it's not a certainty that they'll even be in the MLS by then. If it was then there's no doubt in my mind that we'd be the biggest rivalry: we've both got amazing fans, we're relatively close, and most importantly we hate the french and they do us so it'll be fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta go with Seattle vs Portland

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle-Portland

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an awful lot of people voting for TFC v Limps

Wishful thinking? I hope not.

Is there anything to make us believe Montreal might be in the league in 2011?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    seriously?

what did chicago do to deserve our hate lol
    easy to come up with a catchy insult i guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I picked Seattle-Portland because they both already have massive support. Montreal - Toronto would be good, but moreso on the Toronto side. Montreal's hardcore is a fraction of ours. Portland already has massive support and Seattle too. Vancouver I'm not yet sure, because their hardcore is still relatively small. They'll get 20000 fans no prob, but whether it'll be 20000 like Seattle's, I'm not sure.
    Good Luck! After 3 shitty years in the MLS with no titles whitecRap fan support will drop back to 5-6 thousand. THey can't even sell out their current stadium for normal season games. It's only when TFC comes to town that they have a full stadium.

Having said that, the whitecRap/seattle games will be good ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was the Seattle travelling away supporters at Portland, after the match...

not bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJWRU...eature=related

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostPK View Post
    THey can't even sell out their current stadium for normal season games.
    yeah, and the Toronto Lynx didn't sell out their stadium either. Who wants to go all the way to Swangard for USL anyway?

Seattle's attendance in the USL was weak too.

Ya can't compare attendance in the USL to MLS.. no correlation at all. TFC is proof of that.

If Kansas City can get 10000 a game in MLS, Vancouver can get 20000 no problemo.
    Last edited by rocker; 07-05-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seattle only got 16k for Gold Cup doubleheader with USA playing coming off Confed Cup.

So, the city rivalry is there with Portland - but 16k is pathetic show of support for the sport. A strike in my books for the supporter groups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    seattle only got 16k for Gold Cup doubleheader with USA playing coming off Confed Cup.

So, the city rivalry is there with Portland - but 16k is pathetic show of support for the sport. A strike in my books for the supporter groups.
    Why should the Sounders supporter groups be responsible for Gold Cup support?

I'm a supporter of the Sounders, but couldn't care less about the US Men's National Team. International football just doesn't interest me that much, other than perhaps a certain joy in watching England fail. I'd rather watch WPS, or, hell, even baseball, than USA vs. Grenada or some other Concacaf minnow tempest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BallardSounder View Post
    Why should the Sounders supporter groups be responsible for Gold Cup support?

I'm a supporter of the Sounders, but couldn't care less about the US Men's National Team. International football just doesn't interest me that much, other than perhaps a certain joy in watching England fail. I'd rather watch WPS, or, hell, even baseball, than USA vs. Grenada or some other Concacaf minnow tempest.
    I have to say you're the first footy supporter I've ever heard of who isn't interested in international football.

Not that it's good or bad....just strikes me as odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post
    I have to say you're the first footy supporter I've ever heard of who isn't interested in international football.

Not that it's good or bad....just strikes me as odd.
    I wouldn't say I'm totally disinterested in international football, just not a fan of any CONCACAF teams. I'm also just not big on the whole nationalistic part of it all. Some of it is that the US team typically doesn't play all that exciting football, but mostly I don't like any of the teams.

I'm also odd in that I'm not passionate about the EPL. I recognize the high level of play, unlike CONCACAF, but I don't have an emotional connection with any team. I do cheer for France, but that's because I was there in '98.

I would like the US to win a World Cup, but really only for what I think it would do to advance the game and MLS in the US.

And, seriously, Gold Cup?
    Last edited by BallardSounder; 07-06-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle and Portland are going to go at it hammer and tongs no matter what. Vancouver's just a pesky third wheel at best I have a strange feeling...

Toronto vs. Montreal should also be a good one -- but the Limpact has to get IN to MLS first, which so far they aren't.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC and Phily will be epic

Sons of Ben vs. All the DC supporters

Fun games looking forwards to watching them on GOL TV Canada (PAUL!!!!!) *hint, hint*
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC~Vatreni View Post
    Read it here first! It will be Toronto vs Philadelphia. Has nothing to do with geographic location or old standing rivalries, just the rabid nature and size of their respective fan bases. I already predict something bad happening either on our road trip there or their road trip here. Believe me, the best rivalries are the ones where the FANS hate each other. Plus this is MLS where most cities fan bases are tiny. Of course I could be wrong and the fans will get along splendidly

yeah based on their fans behavior in other sports things can get pretty violent/wacky in Philly...Helll they fight amongst themselves on many occasions....let's hope we host them first and show them a good time so they don't want to brawl when we travel to Philly...or should I say Chester...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NateDoGG View Post
    LA and CHIVAS
    Seconded