Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    I think the whole problem is that it is counrty represented and not league. If it were by league then we would be able to go through the MLS. I think the MLS is only league in the CONCACAF where 2 countries are involved.
    In the long run I think it's better this way. In some way if forces the CSA to at least try and build up the domestic aspect of Canadian soccer to the point where more teams can come in the NCC and make it into a proper Canadian Champions League.
    if Canada didnt have its own slot and we had to qualify through MLS it would be much harder. And we also wouldnt get to play meanningful games vs Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps. Having Toronto enter through Canada is good for us, and the rest of Canada. My hope is in the next few years they add some more Canadian teams in this Canada Cup to see who makes it to Champions League. It really will create more interrest across Canada, and help create more money for smaller Canadian soccer teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    1. Pachuca did not qualify

2. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACA...League_2008-09

3. The Canadian team is not seeded. They have to go thru the preliminary round to qualify for the group stage.
    I'm surprised that Pachuca didn't earn automatic qualification by winning the final CONCACAF Champions' Cup...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CONCACAF Champions League Format - from mlsnet.com

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

Technically, if TFC win the CCL, they can go to Club World Cup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    see my post just above yours

it has to do with the fact that the apertura and clausura winners were different.. therefore a playoff has to be played between the two to determine slot 1 (seeded) v slot 2 (prelims)
    Ah yes, thank you. I hadn't seen your post when I posted the question again.

So a two-game playoff. Wow -- that's actually a lot to go through just to get seeded or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marquis View Post
    CONCACAF Champions League Format - from mlsnet.com

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

Technically, if TFC win the CCL, they can go to Club World Cup!
    And then we can field a $2m squad against squads of $10m players.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    if Canada didnt have its own slot and we had to qualify through MLS it would be much harder. And we also wouldnt get to play meanningful games vs Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps. Having Toronto enter through Canada is good for us, and the rest of Canada. My hope is in the next few years they add some more Canadian teams in this Canada Cup to see who makes it to Champions League. It really will create more interrest across Canada, and help create more money for smaller Canadian soccer teams.
    I could see the CSL and the PCSL having a tournament to see who would send one club to make the tournament an even 4 clubs. Then after awhile I could see the CC expanding the format to include more clubs....baby steps.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    And then we can field a $2m squad against squads of $10m players.
    Nothing like that to get MLS to raise the salary cap...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto