Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bit ridiculous we cant even fly him over (im assuming from whats been said)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    bit ridiculous we cant even fly him over (im assuming from whats been said)
    Well, those comments stem from the quotes taken in the article posted by Corpand in his OP:
    When McGlinchey knew his time was up at Parkhead, ex-Hoops striker Mo Johnston invited him for a trial in Toronto. Slated
    But despite scoring and impressing boss John Carver, MLS red tape prevented him from signing for the Canadian club.
    He said: "I played in three games, scored and did well. They offered me a development contract but MLS red tape put an end to it.
    "We got in touch with Toronto recently to see if they were still interested although Carver has now left.
    "They want me to go over for another trial but I can't afford to pay for flights again with no guarantee of a deal. I just want to play and definitely feel I'm good enough to be at that level or SPL."
    http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-ne...8057-21439778/

It certainly doesn't seem as though McGlinchey is unwilling to travel for a chance at employment:
    He said: "This is not something I was expecting but my agent Jim Harkins called me to say he had an interested party abroad.
    "I was over in Portugal being best man at my brother's wedding so it's great news and an exciting opportunity. I'm up for the challenge and it's a case of having a look around the club and they will get the chance to look at me.
    "I've never lost confidence in my ability so I'm going to give it a real go and see how things work out.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-21503438/

With only McGlinchey's comments to make judgments from, it would appear that the interest coming from Mo wasn't serious enough. Although, Central Coast Mariners didn't offer McGlinchey a firm deal before inviting him to their camp. Agents will use anything for leverage, so it is possible that Mo thought that McGlinchey and his agent were asking too high a price in initial discussions. Dealmaking is delicate. BakaGaijin made a very good point as well. MLS rules can be weird and may have prevented TFC from paying for accomodations. Can anyone enlighten us on that matter? Anyways, just because a player is trialing with a team, that doesn't necessarily mean that the player will ultimately sign there. Who knows whether other teams are tracking a particular player's performance while they are on trial with another team? Perhaps McGlinchey and his agent have been successful at parlaying his time at Partick Thistle into a serious opportunity with Central Coast Mariners? Maybe his time at CCM will just be a stopover before heading to greener pastures?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1/He was not offered a professional contract after showing he was more than capable of playing at that level!
    2/Mariners had offered a contract before he got on the flight!
    3/Was asked to pay for a flight back over to you guys for another trial.....Bizzare!

4/Could have had a great player in your team!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    2/Mariners had offered a contract before he got on the flight!
    Was it guaranteed? I was under the impression that he was on trial with CCM and that he still had some convincing to do, no?

CENTRAL Coast Mariners trialist Michael McGlinchey has arrived Down Under to boost his club career but may yet find the door swinging open to a shot at the World Cup.

The former Celtic youngster will spend the next fortnight trying to convince the Gosford outfit that he would be a worthy addition to the squad but it isn't just Lawrie McKinna who is keeping a close watch on his progress.
    http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/10754...cglinchey.aspx

Please come back and let us know how Michael does against Gold Coast United tomorrow. I'll try to update RPB with any news that I can find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-2 draw between Central Coast Mariners and Gold Coast United. No goal(s) from McGlinchey:

Quote Originally Posted by CCMariners
    "(Scottish trialist Michael McGlinchey) is here for another week and we were quite happy with him. I don’t think he spilled up the ball once, he was very tidy. He’d only done a week’s pre-season before he got here so I’m sure he’ll get better. It’s always good to get the ball and make things happen in midfield, so we were quite happy with him," McKinna said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0-0 Draw between Central Coast Mariners and Wellington Phoenix today. McGlinchey played the whole game and was in on some of the action:
    Trialist Michael McGlinchey was the next to create an opening, feeding Dean Heffernan in the left channel, Heffernan taking the ball to the byline, before having his cross cut out.
    First Michael McGlinchey forced Mark Paston well out of his box, amid calls for handball, while Kwasnik perhaps should have finished the game off deep into inujury time, but Paston was once again brilliant in denying the yellow and navy, a scoreless draw confirmed.
    http://www.ccmariners.com.au/default...splay&id=28364

As you can see, McGlinchey still hasn't signed for CCM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that I would post an update. It sounds as if McGlinchey is close to signing with CCM:
    On the playing front the Mariners have recruited Scotsman Chris Doig and are close to signing former Celtic youngster Michael McGlinchey.
    "Doigy has come in at a good price and given us that leadership and experience we lacked at the back. McGlinchey's quite polished and tidy."
    http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/10861...-invasion.aspx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final update. McGlinchey has signed with CCM:
    Central Coast have already signed three imports – Scottish defender Chris Doig, English midfielder Nicky Travis and New Zealand playmaker Michael McGlinchey – for this season, while the club hopes to add two more foreign strikers to its roster before the Augustth31 transfer deadline.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/foo...546727604.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more importantly, Doig is a former Forest player.

I wonder why McGlinchey didn't stick after his trial with TFC - I would of thought he'd have done well here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought you would like an update on michael mcglinchey, he has been named in the new zealand squad for the world cup play off against bahrain next week not bad for a lad your team thought not good enough . http://www.nzsoccer.com/plugins/news..._data_id=28775

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy Boyens was named to the roster as well... doesn't mean he's a great defender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Why? Andrew Boyens plays for New Zealand as well and he wasn't good enough either. New Zealand is a poor team.

Edit: what Jay said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skip to the 4:55 min mark to see how awsome Andy Boyens is while playing for NZ

and i think i got a glimpse of what the coach was writing after that goal...

"note: the red bulls are shite!!!!"
    Last edited by Dunkers; 10-01-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Sounds like he's had tough luck. I don't really know anything about him but his desperation to play anywhere would make him extremely motivated to perform well.
    I'm pretty desperate to play pro footy...how you reckon I'd perform on the pitch for TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone remember this guy trialing for TFC a few years back he was a team mate of Ryan Nelson at the 2010 world cup would he be a good additon to the squad .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9A4KmdXJV8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    I'm pretty desperate to play pro footy...how you reckon I'd perform on the pitch for TFC
    They don't use Blades in Football, lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by celtic bhoy View Post
    Anyone remember this guy trialing for TFC a few years back he was a team mate of Ryan Nelson at the 2010 world cup would he be a good additon to the squad .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9A4KmdXJV8
    I watched few games of A League with McGlinchey playing. Not worth signing IMO
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano