Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Rohan Ricketts on the Footy Show tonight

Hey guys,

Rohan was on the footy show tonight with James Sharman being asked about what went down with TFC.

I have to say that Rohan was total and complete class about the whole thing. He talked about his love for TFC and it's supporters and that one day when he retires he will definitely come back to live here.

On the mutually agreed release: he said he spoke to Mo and they decided together that if he could get some of the dosh still left on his contract. he'd agree to being released so he could go back to Europe (Spain, Greece and Scotland mentioned)

All and all the man was very cool about all of it and I can say that I truly wish him the best with his career.

Thanks for the bit you did RR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    Hey guys,

Rohan was on the footy show tonight with James Sharman being asked about what went down with TFC.

I have to say that Rohan was total and complete class about the whole thing. He talked about his love for TFC and it's supporters and that one day when he retires he will definitely come back to live here.

On the mutually agreed release: he said he spoke to Mo and they decided together that if he could get some of the dosh still left on his contract. he'd agree to being released so he could go back to Europe (Spain, Greece and Scotland mentioned)

All and all the man was very cool about all of it and I can say that I truly wish him the best with his career.

Thanks for the bit you did RR!
    Yup, it certainly did portray him in a better light following Twittergate and all that.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't say I'm surprised. Yes, he was frustrated about his playing time, and other than expressing it on a twitter feed, he has been professional about the situation, no sulking or kicking water bottles like others we have released.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn missed it... but thanks for the link
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw the interview and all I can say is wow, James Sharman, if the footy show ever gets cancelled, you'd make an excellent entertainment tonight interviewer of celebrities promoting movies. I get that ricketts was on your show a few times and you guys are obviously friends, but wow, that was the fluffiest interview I've ever seen. Ricketts couldn't have asked easier questions designed to show him in a good light if he was doing the interview himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James Sharman looks slimmer than he used to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    I saw the interview and all I can say is wow, James Sharman, if the footy show ever gets cancelled, you'd make an excellent entertainment tonight interviewer of celebrities promoting movies. I get that ricketts was on your show a few times and you guys are obviously friends, but wow, that was the fluffiest interview I've ever seen. Ricketts couldn't have asked easier questions designed to show him in a good light if he was doing the interview himself.
    really? he asked questions that people asked on this board, such as the question about whether his outside business was affecting his play. he asked about how fieldturf was.
    he asked him if he worked hard enough. he asked him if he should have started.

the answer Rohan gave about Chris Cummins not starting him makes sense. The club knew he was moving out so why bother starting him over a guy who could be here all season?

don't see much fluff there.
    Last edited by rocker; 06-20-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

# Ricketts came out looking dapper... great questions by Sharman... really good!

# Ricketts was quite professional in his answers...

# too bad about the MLS comments though...
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

MUFC_Niagara

Funny how RR said the same thing as Carver.....he wants nothing to do with the MLS because of it's rules and regs. Not a good reputation for a league trying to grow in the football community....

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    # Ricketts came out looking dapper... great questions by Sharman... really good!

# Ricketts was quite professional in his answers...

# too bad about the MLS comments though...

Hopefully the league takes notice that foreign players and coaches are leaving their league because of the way its run....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought his fieldturf answer was interesting.
    here's a guy who doesn't owe MLSE anything and can speak his mind.. and he just said he didn't mind the turf, but that guys with knee injuries don't like it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    really? he asked questions that people asked on this board, such as the question about whether his outside business was affecting his play.
    he asked him if he worked hard enough. he asked him if he should have started.

the answer Rohan gave about Chris Cummins not starting him makes sense. The club knew he was moving out so why bother starting him over a guy who could be here all season?

don't see much fluff there.
    I don't think he saw the same interview...

Sharman asked questions about:

1. The grass/turf... contriversial

2. How much money did Ricketts get..

3. he pressured again on the money to see if Ricketts was sour that he didn't get his full guaranteed contract

4. Asked about Ricketts training habits... whether he gave his 100%

5. Asked if Ricketts' extra curriclar activities affected him or the way the club looked at him

6. Sharman pretty much asked... who is the Real Coach? Mo Johnston or Cummins? who was making the field decisions Mo or Carver

Sharman went in there correct...not harshly but he definately asked the right questions...
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    i thought his fieldturf answer was interesting.
    here's a guy who doesn't owe MLSE anything and can speak his mind.. and he just said he didn't mind the turf, but that guys with knee injuries don't like it.
    Well.. what was the bit about the Spurs and turf? maybe Sharman knew that Ricketts had played in turf before or that in Englad they have turf in some clubs for their practice facilities...

I think it's fair to say that turf is not good for those with injuries... is it better than grass? certainly not... however can you have a winning team playing in turf? Ricketts said it's an advantage... I guess as long as you have healthy and young players it is... because Saprissa plays on turf and their stadium is one of the hardest stadiums to get a win at in Central America... in fact Costa Rica has played a perfect game at home in the WCQ all at Saprissa on turf.
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy for him. He wasn't wanted in Toronto anymore, but he has left a professional and a class act. He'll be happier in Europe, it's a system that makes more sense to him. MLS is not good for Europeans as far as the business ends go, so I'm not surprised he will leave the MLS.

I for one, will miss him.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Juan View Post
    I'm happy for him. He wasn't wanted in Toronto anymore, but he has left a professional and a class act. He'll be happier in Europe, it's a system that makes more sense to him. MLS is not good for Europeans as far as the business ends go, so I'm not surprised he will leave the MLS.

I for one, will miss him.
    At least Ricketts will still support Toronto FC and probably end up living here someday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was a good interview. sharman asked the right questions straight up, which is always nice. glad to see there are no hard feelings... best of luck to him. i think by the way he played in some of his most recent sub appearances, he deserves some kudos.... knowing that you're outta here within a few weeks, yet still busting your ass while on the field is commendable.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fushida View Post
    i think by the way he played in some of his most recent sub appearances, he deserves some kudos.... knowing that you're outta here within a few weeks, yet still busting your ass while on the field is commendable.
    or raise his profile and stock a little for teams interested in signing him

sorry... cynicism came out
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's hard is the reality of this business... Sutton has a family... was he released? or also bought out? I mean did he get some sort of severance package?

It looks like Ricketts was trying to say that it was hard on the guys when Sutton was released and that they all thought about him and his family...
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Niagara View Post
    Hopefully the league takes notice that foreign players and coaches are leaving their league because of the way its run....
    But until it's guys who have been a success here who are leaving and making the comments then they aren't going to bother.

Neither Carver or Ricketts were a success in this league. If Ricketts had come in, blown the league apart and then left and made comments about the MLS it would be more effective.

But coming in, not doing all that well in the league and then making comments about the MLS can be contrived as just being sour grapes.

I'm not saying it is sour grapes by Ricketts but it's probably the way the MLS would look at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What really has to be asked about his appearance on the Score for this interview is what's the deal with that outfit he wore?? Geeezus!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class, seems like a nice dude.

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by SanStarko View Post
    But until it's guys who have been a success here who are leaving and making the comments then they aren't going to bother.

Neither Carver or Ricketts were a success in this league. If Ricketts had come in, blown the league apart and then left and made comments about the MLS it would be more effective.

But coming in, not doing all that well in the league and then making comments about the MLS can be contrived as just being sour grapes.

I'm not saying it is sour grapes by Ricketts but it's probably the way the MLS would look at it.
    This is true. However, Beckham has made the same comments. Greg Sutton also made comments to the effect that with the salary cap its hard to create a competition for places because you can't have an effective backup at each position challening your first 11.

It's debatable as to whether the cap is good or bad. I mean there isn't much between the teams in this league, everyone beats everyone and its rare to see the same team win the title each year. It's like how it was in England up until the maximum player wage was abolished in 1961. Prior to that, and prior to the induction of tv money, every team was in contention for the League title. This is a good thing.

At the same time, its also frustrating that we can't get the best players because we can't pay them. Obviously with no cap some teams will be extremely better than others. I suppose with MLSE as our owners we'd be one of the richer clubs without a cap and could spend away leaving a club like Dallas to be shit for eternity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Niagara View Post
    Ricketts was a terrible player and Carver was a terrible coach. They are both good at blaming external forces for their personal failures. The MLS is just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RR did make one excellent point that ALL players will be taking into consideration before coming to play in the MLS, it's "ruthless" and you can get cut in the snap of a finger, just like with what happened to Sutton. Cuz nothing is guaranteed in the MLS like it is in Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's sad that the MLS salary cap makes it a liability if you get a raise in pay. One bad season and they will be wanting to cut you from the team just to free up some cap space. If I played in MLS I would try to keep a modest pay level so you have some wiggle room if you hit a rough patch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where was this "class" during his last days with TFC?

always looking out for #1. classless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    where was this "class" during his last days with TFC?

always looking out for #1. classless.
    I have to agree with you.
    This interview looked more like a pr thing. All very hunky dori it seemed.
    The Score was more than willing to go along with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that he said that the conversations around the buyout had gone on for two months. It's a window into Mo's hardball tactics.

I think "Twittergate" happened because Mo was making lowball offers, and RR got pissed off about it. Then he retracted once he came to his senses.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”