Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New developments on McBride?

After deciding that his time at Craven Cottage was up, reports are filtering through that our former centre-forward Brian McBride has found a new club.

If the reports are correct, then the ex-American international, will shortly sign for Chicago Fire.

Here at Vital Fulham, we'll endeavour to keep you informed of any developments whilst also trying, if the move materialises, to keep you informed of his progress.

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.u...e.asp?a=111578

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, he can't sign with them till we let him go.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So did Mo waive our rights and keep the top allocation?
    Did Mo take the top allocation and trade McBride's rights for something big?
    Is McBride coming here after being sweet-talked by Mo?

Stay tuned sports fans...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the purpose of this particular thread is to answer the question it poses then, NO, this isn't new, because there's no source or context.

If it's to keep the McBride discussion going, woo hoo!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    Well, he can't sign with them till we let him go.

GUILDWOOOooooooD what what!

see you at The Guild Inn! haha

Waiting to see what Mo has done with this, . . .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    GUILDWOOOooooooD what what!

see you at The Guild Inn! haha

Waiting to see what Mo has done with this, . . .

Guildwood...represssssent!!!!
    lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict a 3 way trade to make this happen.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So did Mo waive our rights and keep the top allocation?
    Did Mo take the top allocation and trade McBride's rights for something big?
    Is McBride coming here after being sweet-talked by Mo?

Stay tuned sports fans...
    My question is, why would we keep the top allocation? Passing on this one doesn't make too much sense to me (since I'm assuming we have a few discovery claims left to get around using it as a tie-breaker, and we have less use for, and are less attractive to, USMNT players). Brian McBride is the biggest usage for the ranking this year, blow it and see what comes (or just block them getting McBride, they're too good as it is).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    My question is, why would we keep the top allocation? Passing on this one doesn't make too much sense to me (since I'm assuming we have a few discovery claims left to get around using it as a tie-breaker, and we have less use for, and are less attractive to, USMNT players). Brian McBride is the biggest usage for the ranking this year, blow it and see what comes (or just block them getting McBride, they're too good as it is).
    Agreed. There is no chance we are passing up on this. Allocations are only useful for players coming BACK to MLS or non-team-specific player signings by MLS. We have discovery claims for new blood as Steve mentions here.

Milk it for all its worth Uncle Mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much agree. Why let Chicago snap him up. They're playing amazing right now and have basically two games in hand which potentially puts them in first place at the current rate.

If they feel they need him bad enough, they'll offer something. If not, why WOULDN'T we keep him. Especially as it seems he won't be signing for DP status. B.McB is a HUGE upgrade on our current forwards.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something has to happen soon,i hope with our team playing pretty good with a good striker we can make a great push...
    :scarf:TFC #1
    Legia Warszawa,Chelsea
    Away Trips: Columbus 08, DC 08,New England 09,Seattle 09, New York 09,New England 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my question:

I've read through all of the pertainant rules, and think I understand most of how this works, but there is one scenario I'm not certain of.

What happens if Brian McBride agrees to sign with the MLS, we use our allocation on him, and he backs out of his contract (because he doesn't want to play here). Is that allocation used up, or is it returned to us because the player in question broke his contract (through no fault of our own). I mean, I know if a player doesn't work out, we're on the line, but if a player goes back on his word before it starts, are we still?

I guess the question is, does allocation come into play before or after the player signs (do we need to use it for the right to sign him, on just for the player afterwards).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That story looks like a rewrite of other earlier stories, it has no new facts at all
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure Steve. The whole Guevara situation really threw me for a loop last year and I'm still not concrete on what would happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my question:

I've read through all of the pertainant rules, and think I understand most of how this works, but there is one scenario I'm not certain of.

What happens if Brian McBride agrees to sign with the MLS, we use our allocation on him, and he backs out of his contract (because he doesn't want to play here). Is that allocation used up, or is it returned to us because the player in question broke his contract (through no fault of our own). I mean, I know if a player doesn't work out, we're on the line, but if a player goes back on his word before it starts, are we still?

I guess the question is, does allocation come into play before or after the player signs (do we need to use it for the right to sign him, on just for the player afterwards).
    The allocation rule is really up in the air. The league still holds much discretion around the usage of these slots. I imagine that in the case you mention that the league would do one of two things:

1. Move Toronto back on top of the allocation order.
    2. More likely, receive allocation money as compensation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Pretty much agree. Why let Chicago snap him up. They're playing amazing right now and have basically two games in hand which potentially puts them in first place at the current rate.

If they feel they need him bad enough, they'll offer something. If not, why WOULDN'T we keep him. Especially as it seems he won't be signing for DP status. B.McB is a HUGE upgrade on our current forwards.
    I think the answer to that is pretty simple. He don't want to play here, and we don't have a choice but to trade for him. There's nothing MLS or anyone could do if he doesn't want to be here. Remember when Guevara didn't want to be here? he left to Honduras. McBride will retire before he plays here, specially for none DP money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Guevara, Chivas still owned his rights and they could do whatever thay wanted with him. They certainly didn't want him on their team after the way he left just last year. Lots of teams were wary of him so there wasn't crazy demand. Even what we gave up for him was merely "conditional picks" depending on how things played out.

McBride's been out of the league so long that no MLS team owns his rights anymore, so his playing rights go into the allocation pool, at which we are at the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Pachuco, totally different situations and not comparable at all. Apples to Oranges on that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McBride is old he will retire he only has 2 or 3 years left in him I say let Chicago have but we get there dp if they want him that bad or or i say we tell him he is playing for us or you can not play in the mls.. he would want to be pay DP money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This league will do anything if it means keeping or increasing the money coming in.

They bend the rules for Landycakes twice. (Allocation + current DP bullshit)
    They'll do it for us too.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McBride won't be a DP? Now we're talking...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    McBride is old he will retire he only has 2 or 3 years left in him I say let Chicago have but we get there dp if they want him that bad or or i say we tell him he is playing for us or you can not play in the mls.. he would want to be pay DP money
    Chigaco does not have a DP slot to trade. They have Blanco. Unless you meant that we get Blanco... which ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    McBride won't be a DP? Now we're talking...
    He would likely only give Chicago the hometown discount. Anywhere else he would command DP salary... of course if he would play anywhere else.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm..what are the new developments?
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing official but the article seemed to apply that the signing is imminent (to Chicago). As in... perhaps something has already been worked out. Then again, it isn't really new news, seems credible though coming from a Fulham website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah the new development from this article is that it implies a deal has been made or is imminent with Chicago. Yesterday's news was more around teams being interested in him. Can't wait to see what happens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've said it before and I'll say it again Mcbride isn't coming here he's going to Fire and there's nothing that anyone can do about it, regardless of allocations. Dallas had the first allocation when Donovan came back and the first superdraft pick when Adu was drafted but the league stepped in and sent Landycakes to LA and Adu to DC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Mizz View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again Mcbride isn't coming here he's going to Fire and there's nothing that anyone can do about it, regardless of allocations. Dallas had the first allocation when Donovan came back and the first superdraft pick when Adu was drafted but the league stepped in and sent Landycakes to LA and Adu to DC
    And in both cases the opposing side were compensated nicely, so we still win even if the league steps in. You make it sound like we get nothing. Dallas got Ruiz (a player who at the time had 50 goals in 70 matches) in the Donovan (and continued to produce at the same rate as Donovan after the trade). And in the Adu case, they got an entire extra player allocation while still getting 2 first round picks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

besides... the league has come a ways in the last few years, have some faith in Uncle Mo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    And in both cases the opposing side were compensated nicely, so we still win even if the league steps in. You make it sound like we get nothing. Dallas got Ruiz (a player who at the time had 50 goals in 70 matches) in the Donovan (and continued to produce at the same rate as Donovan after the trade). And in the Adu case, they got an entire extra player allocation while still getting 2 first round picks.
    Wait, you make it sound as though the league is doing a good job of making it easy for established American players to return the MLS - something that might actually help the league - and is compensating the other teams involved. Can that be possible?