RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Ryan Johnston-Soccer D-Day in Canada !

Soccer D-Day in Canada

Canadian philosopher Marshall McLuhan delivered a message that 'The medium is the message'. But on Saturday in Seattle, the Canadian duo of Dwayne De Rosario and Julian de Guzman delivered a message from the midfield which may resonate all the way to South Africa in 2010.

On the eve of the marquee friendly against Brazil, the self-appointed 'Double-De' spokesteam used the exposure to fire a warning shot over the bow of the war-torn Canadian Soccer Association. Staking their reputations on their words, the two players challenged the financial shortcomings which have become synonymous with soccer in Canada.

"I am sure the CSA know that we have a good enough team to qualify, but are they willing to take that risk?" de Guzman quipped to the Globe & Mail before answering his own rhetoric. "This is the perfect time to take that risk."

The risk de Guzman alludes to is of course the $1 million set aside for qualification. (South Africa unveiled their budget for the 2010 World Cup, and R8.5 billion capital expenditure plan has been designed to ensure the country is ready.)

"It's not enough," said De Rosario of the 2008 budget, "and they know it's not enough.

READ MORE
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This explains 2 things to me:

Why Bernier and not DeRo is on the promo for the STV&G game.
    Why DeRo is my fav, my captain, and the best thing for Canadian Soccer Football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure Bernier's on there cuz he's a French Quebecer which will help sell tix.