Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    I'm not saying there aren't any 31-32yr olds who have played abroad and can prove themselves useful here in the MLS... Dichio beign an example, and Blanco as well...

What I am trying to say is that 31-32yr old Canadian Internationals shouldn't get a free pass to come to Toronto FC just cause they are Canadian Internationals...
    Yes....Canadian Internationals should not get a free pass because they are Canadian....but we are talking about De Guzman here...not a run of the mill Canadian.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Let him stay in Spain... but I certainly don't want him when he starts going downhill... fuck that... we need some self-respect... TFC is not going to be the retirement home of every Canadian Intl.
    ... as opposed to being the day care for every young South American underachiever?

As for the rumour that started from a Canadian National Team member sitting with other Canadian National Team members in a press box, maybe there is something to it.

Or maybe he was home for the summer and was invited by his teammates to go to a game. It was either a freebie against the Red Bulls or pony up to see Real Madrid... which would you choose?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG? Yes please. How much though?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Yes....Canadian Internationals should not get a free pass because they are Canadian....but we are talking about De Guzman here...not a run of the mill Canadian.
    Agreed.
    It's not as if he's Stalteri or something.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    Not even close to top 5....
    I dont know there is something to be said for him being one of the top midfielders in the league:
    He would barely be top five on Barca (Xaci, Iniesta, Gudjohnsen, Toure) or RM (Sniejder, Van Der Varrt, Guti, Kaka, Parejo, Diarrax2), but when you look past the giants, hes right in there. On a decent club and their strongest mid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson quote from a recent article in the Toronto Sun:

"(Former coach) John Carver and I had a player from Poland lined up (possibly veteran national Jacek Bak) and another team came in and blew us out of the water," Johnston said. "I went after a Canadian (believed to be defensive midfielder Julian De Guzman) with a hell of a lot of money and he turned it down."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    Johnson quote from a recent article in the Toronto Sun:

"(Former coach) John Carver and I had a player from Poland lined up (possibly veteran national Jacek Bak) and another team came in and blew us out of the water," Johnston said. "I went after a Canadian (believed to be defensive midfielder Julian De Guzman) with a hell of a lot of money and he turned it down."
    and good for Julian for making that decision.

He still has lots to accomplish in Europe (be it in Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy or somewhere else).

The money he turned down from TFC was no doubt significant. I'm willing to wager he would have become the highest paid player in MLS not named Beckham had he accepted the deal.

However, its not like he'll be working for minimum wage in Europe. The offers he's got or will get are going to be significant and the opportunity to play in UEFA CL is too good to pass up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think people realize how highly rated De Guzman is in Spain.

De Guzman would eat up MLS and spit it out, the man is absolutely world class look at what he has done to teams like Costa Rica and Brazil. Not to mention in club competition what he has done versus Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    I think there should be consequences to posting something so inane. (you know, should it not come to pass). Your buddy, his source, and you should take a boot to the head (figurative) - and I'll spot you the couple of weeks you mention as a timeframe.

I guess the first test is if we see Ricketts in the lineup for the next game.
    Your "very high up source" was either pulling your leg, or....wait a minute....think back....were you riding a steam locomotive across some clouds at the time, chased by Al Pacino on a greased pig?

Yep, you dreamed it up..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    I don't think people realize how highly rated De Guzman is in Spain.

De Guzman would eat up MLS and spit it out, the man is absolutely world class look at what he has done to teams like Costa Rica and Brazil. Not to mention in club competition what he has done versus Barcelona and Real Madrid.
    This is what ive been saying. Here is this years table:

1 Barcelona (MVP = Messi)
    2 Real Madrid (MVP= Casillas)
    3 Sevilla (Team slaughtered Tottenham this year)
    4 Atletico Madrid (MVP = Aguero and Maxi Rodriguez)
    5 Villarreal (MVP = Marocs Senna)
    6 Valencia (MVP = Villa, Silva and Marchena)
    7 Deportivo La Coruna (MVP= De Guzman)
    8 Malaga
    9 Mallorca
    10 Espanyol
    11 Almeria
    12 Racing Santander
    13 Athletic Bilbao
    14 Sporting Gijon
    15 Valladolid
    16 Osasuna
    17 Getafe
    18 Real Betis
    19 Numancia
    20 Recreativo Huelva
    Last edited by Cal; 06-15-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I dont know there is something to be said for him being one of the top midfielders in the league:
    He would barely be top five on Barca (Xaci, Iniesta, Gudjohnsen, Toure) or RM (Sniejder, Van Der Varrt, Guti, Kaka, Parejo, Diarrax2), but when you look past the giants, hes right in there. On a decent club and their strongest mid.
    I could name 25-30 midfielders in La Liga who are better than De Guzman. To suggest that he's top 5 is absurd...he's not even close to being in the same catagory of players as Iniesta, Xavi etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spoke to JDG at the boat cruise on friday...
    he wouldnt comment.. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could name 25-30 midfielders in La Liga who are better than De Guzman. To suggest that he's top 5 is absurd...he's not even close to being in the same catagory of players as Iniesta, Xavi etc.
    no you couldn't.. he is one of the better DM in the league.. obviously no one here is suggesting he is better than Iniesta or Xavi.. but to suggest there is 25-30 better Midfielders in a league with only 20 teams is wrong..

he wasnt selected MVP of a team that finished 7th in La Liga because he is an okay player.. he is a great player..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Just a quick question: If JDG did end up signing here, then where exactly would he play in starting line-up?

If he came...

I would say that the starting lineup would revolve around him

DeRo --- Dichio -- Vitti

---------DeGuz----------
    Brennan-------------Cronin
    ---------Robbo----------

Garcia -- Serioux -- Wynne

-----------Frei-------------

Odd man out being Guevara...he'll probably be upset, so it would be best if they could trade or cut him. I'm not big on Brennan on the left MF, not sure who else would fit there...although I like this attacking formation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krasno.pL. View Post
    I spoke to JDG at the boat cruise on friday...
    he wouldnt comment.. lol

I'm telling ya guys,
    seeing him on the Footy Show the other day,
    for sure he's been talking to Mo,
    so it's not like this is completely ficticious,

With that said he doesn't really want to come here...
    ...It's all part of the ploy by agents to maximize player value.

he EXPLICITLY said he prefers spain,

It has been noted, he's highly rated over there,

and he EXPLICITLY said the economic downturn is slowing things down,

What better way to speed up the process and boost your value by saying, "hey listen, if you want to lowball me I can just go ahead and take the DP offer back home in Canada",

"Okay, Okay Julian, no more lowballs.... here's your millions, just stop talking 'I'd consider MLS' crazy talk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poppamidnight View Post
    What better way to speed up the process and boost your value by saying, "hey listen, if you want to lowball me I can just go ahead and take the DP offer back home in Canada",

Deportivo Manager: "isn't the field plastico over there in Toronto"
    DeGuz's Agent: "yeah your right, where do we sign?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Limani_Ole View Post
    no you couldn't.. he is one of the better DM in the league.. obviously no one here is suggesting he is better than Iniesta or Xavi.. but to suggest there is 25-30 better Midfielders in a league with only 20 teams is wrong..

he wasnt selected MVP of a team that finished 7th in La Liga because he is an okay player.. he is a great player..
    You say that "no one here is suggesting he is better than Iniesta or Xavi" in a thread that said that he was top 5 in La Liga. If he's not better than them, then someone is suggesting that he's better than Sneijder, Kaka or Ronaldo. He's not even close to being that calibre of player, he's not half as good as any of them.

He was selected MVP of his team because of the roll that he played on his team, which they deemed was most valuable to them. That doesn't make him one of the best players in the league - it makes him most appreciated by his own club.

I like JDG a lot, but he's not an elite level player by world standards. He's a good player, on a good team that plays his roll well.

Beyond the obvious (ie the 10 midfielders on Barca & Real Madrid) it would be hard to even argue that De Guzman is in the same class of players as David Silva, Achille Emana, Marcos Senna, Robert Pires, Diego Chapel, Simao etc. That's 16 mids right there, and there are others in that class of player. JDG would fall into the catagory of players behind those guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not coming anytime soon. As soon as I hear something to the contrary I'll be sure to let you all know .

-W.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard whispers. It's a lot more likely than some people here may think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You willing to place money on that?

-W.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright!!^^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You say that "no one here is suggesting he is better than Iniesta or Xavi" in a thread that said that he was top 5 in La Liga. If he's not better than them, then someone is suggesting that he's better than Sneijder, Kaka or Ronaldo. He's not even close to being that calibre of player, he's not half as good as any of them.

He was selected MVP of his team because of the roll that he played on his team, which they deemed was most valuable to them. That doesn't make him one of the best players in the league - it makes him most appreciated by his own club.

I like JDG a lot, but he's not an elite level player by world standards. He's a good player, on a good team that plays his roll well.

Beyond the obvious (ie the 10 midfielders on Barca & Real Madrid) it would be hard to even argue that De Guzman is in the same class of players as David Silva, Achille Emana, Marcos Senna, Robert Pires, Diego Chapel, Simao etc. That's 16 mids right there, and there are others in that class of player. JDG would fall into the catagory of players behind those guys.

Who said he was top 5 in la liga? I said he is one of the best midfielders in La Liga. Does that mean top 5? No on average each team plays 4 mids at a time correct? Meaning there are probably 100 mids who see pretty good time in La Liga, he is one of the top mids. Meaning I'd say he is definitely top 20. He was in the La Liga team of the month last season and there was even speculation that he may be named in the team of the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    I like JDG now... and I say now only because what I saw from his play in MTL vs Honduras was not pretty... anyhow I'll take JDG now... but not later down the road... There are plenty of Central American players that could be much better gambles...

P.S. I emphasize on the word gamble
    Last edited by FluSH; 06-15-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    Who said he was top 5 in la liga? I said he is one of the best midfielders in La Liga. Does that mean top 5? No on average each team plays 4 mids at a time correct? Meaning there are probably 100 mids who see pretty good time in La Liga, he is one of the top mids. Meaning I'd say he is definitely top 20. He was in the La Liga team of the month last season and there was even speculation that he may be named in the team of the season.
    That wasn't directed at you, there was a deleted comment that said "top 5" in response to your original post - I was commenting on that.

I'd rank JDG somewhere between 25-30, probably around which is still very good considering the quality of La Liga. There's probably 12 or so top-level mids that no one would argue are the stars of the league. Behind them, there's a group of about 15 players that are very good but not elite. After that there's a class of players that are good - regular starters who contribut to their teams etc. I think JDG is towards the back half of those 'very good' players or the top half of those 'good' players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro118 View Post
    I've heard whispers. It's a lot more likely than some people here may think.
    IT's not happening.

The money and term of contract TFC offered is no doubt flattering and the economic slowdown (which is hitting certain countries in Europe especially hard) means that he's probably leaving money on the table by not accepting the TFC offer but he's still at a point in his life where he's going to chase the dream of playing on the biggest possible stage rather than taking quick money to make a big step down to a significantly lesser league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like JDG now... and I say now only because what I saw from his play in MTL vs Honduras was not pretty... anyhow I'll take JDG now... but not later down the road... There are plenty of Central American players that could be much better gambles...

P.S. I emphasize on the word gamble
    I agree 100% with Flush.

Right now, TFC needs several talented players, not a single DP player who doesn't even address TFC's #1 needs (scoring, defense)

If I were TFC, I would comb central america, the 1st divisions of smaller South american countries, the 2nd divisions of Argentina and Brazil and all the leagues in Central America looking for talent that would jump at a guaranteed $5000-6000 per month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VPjr View Post
    I agree 100% with Flush.

Right now, TFC needs several talented players, not a single DP player who doesn't even address TFC's #1 needs (scoring, defense)

If I were TFC, I would comb central america, the 1st divisions of smaller South american countries, the 2nd divisions of Argentina and Brazil and all the leagues in Central America looking for talent that would jump at a guaranteed $5000-6000 per month.

who knows we might find the next Vitti!

The thoughts of TFC and offering a huge contract to ...DEGUZMAN at this stage in his career make me excited!
    Last edited by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB; 06-15-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ or you might find the next player of Schleotto quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was DeGuzman's agent I would be livid he did not agree to the contract. Presuming its significantly more than he could have made in Europe. His money generating days are not endless and if he is smart, he would go where the most money is and maximize it. He is not a spring chicken and although he might have a higher profile and play a better game in Europe...so what ??? How much better is he going to get or make more in Europe. I think if this is true and he declined the offer, he made a big mistake. Not to mention that if he comes back when he is towards the end of his career he would make a fraction of that playing for TFC...he might be thinking that the money will always be there from TFC but they are not stupid. They wont pay the same money when he is in his last couple of years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VPjr View Post
    ^ or you might find the next player of Schleotto quality.

a young Schleotto.??...or an old Schleotto who came to MLS for a $$$ swan song?