Page 12 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I hope De Guzman stays in Europe. It's more important for his development for the National side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if this were to ever happen what would be the most likely scenerio with regards to Robinson and Cronin?
    They'd have to ethier cut Robo, (can't see him wanting to play for another MLS team) or they could try to convert Cronin to a forward or trade him (solid trade value).

I honestly think that with DeRo, Guevara, Robo, Cronin and De Guzman we'd have to many rosters in the hen house.
    Considering four of the above are the highest paid players on the team someone would have to go.
    My bet would be Robinson. We all know loyalty is not one of Mo's character strengths.
    Last edited by Stryker; 07-02-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    So if this were to ever happen what would be the most likely scenerio with regards to Robinson and Cronin?
    They'd have to ethier cut Robo, (can't see him wanting to play for another MLS team) or they could try to convert Cronin to a forward or trade him (solid trade value).

I honestly think that with DeRo, Guevara, Robo, Cronin and De Guzman we'd have to many rosters in the hen house.
    Considering four of the above are the highest paid players on the team someone would have to go.
    My bet would be Robinson. We all know loyalty is not one of Mo's character strengths.
    When DeGuzman decides to come to Toronto, Robo will have been long retired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    Man, I hope De Guzman stays in Europe. It's more important for his development for the National side.
    I dunno... how much better is he gonna be because he plays in Europe versus playing in MLS? And would it be a measurable difference? Beckham played in MLS and then played with AC Milan with no dropoff. It's not like he'd suddenly turn into shit cuz he was playing in MLS. Blanco was called back to Mexico due to his great MLS play and the need for more talent.

Plus, the way our National team is now, I'm not sure whether any difference in training or quality in De Guzman's Euro vs MLS play would have any bearing on the national team. We already blew our World Cup chances with him on the team. Not to say he was the fault for that, but i think the nats have bigger problems than whether 1 great player chooses to play in Europe vs MLS at age 28. By the next world cup qualifying he'll be 32 anyways.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think also that the national team's future will not be much different if JDG came here. Personally, I would rather a stronger TFC any day than keeping JDG in Europe to make the CMNT marginally better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what if . . .

Okay, so if money isn't the stumbling block for JDG, if all he wants is to win, that means there are only a certain number of clubs whom he could logically play for, right? Clubs which actually have a shot at winning something, yeah? I'm thinking your top 6 EPL, your top 4 La Liga, your top 4 Bundesliga etc.

But . . . what if none of those clubs want to sign him? Aside from Madrid, most of the clubs seem to be pinching their pennies right now . . . what if TFC's really is the best offer on the table from both a competitive and financial perspective?

I think he's probably given himself until after the Gold Cup as a deadline. So if he doesn't have any good Euro offers by then . . . maybe it's not so realistic to think he'd come home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck the CSA and fuck the Canadian national team, nothing is going to change as long as the CSA is in charge. If the cost of bringing JDG here, was him never playing for Canada again i'd still want him here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    But what if . . .

Okay, so if money isn't the stumbling block for JDG, if all he wants is to win, that means there are only a certain number of clubs whom he could logically play for, right? Clubs which actually have a shot at winning something, yeah? I'm thinking your top 6 EPL, your top 4 La Liga, your top 4 Bundesliga etc.
    I think players that these teams would go for are on a level about JDG. For MLS standards, he'd be huge....but on a top 4 team in La Liga or EPL, I don't see him being there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I think also that the national team's future will not be much different if JDG came here. Personally, I would rather a stronger TFC any day than keeping JDG in Europe to make the CMNT marginally better.
    you and me both

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I dunno... how much better is he gonna be because he plays in Europe versus playing in MLS? And would it be a measurable difference? Beckham played in MLS and then played with AC Milan with no dropoff. It's not like he'd suddenly turn into shit cuz he was playing in MLS. Blanco was called back to Mexico due to his great MLS play and the need for more talent.

Plus, the way our National team is now, I'm not sure whether any difference in training or quality in De Guzman's Euro vs MLS play would have any bearing on the national team. We already blew our World Cup chances with him on the team. Not to say he was the fault for that, but i think the nats have bigger problems than whether 1 great player chooses to play in Europe vs MLS at age 28. By the next world cup qualifying he'll be 32 anyways.
    Yea but his experience over-seas will make him a better National player. He'll learn more from coaches over there and he can bring that into our setup.
    He can bring us knowledge that strictly-domestic players cant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JdG'll be 32 by the time Canada plays their next WCQ game. There's a good chance somebody else will have taken the starting AM role over by then. I hope that's the case, anyway.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    JdG'll be 32 by the time Canada plays their next WCQ game. There's a good chance somebody else will have taken the starting AM role over by then. I hope that's the case, anyway.
    doesn't mean he wont play a DM for Canada as he does in spain.. and who do you think is gonna fill his shoes in AM? Will Johnson?

look at all the position Stalteri has played for NT..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^all true. My point is more that if we're relying to this extent on JdG for WCQ in 2013, then that'll mean not so good things about the progression of the program, and the development of younger players that needs to happen.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, this offer of at least $10 million seems to be accepted as fact. It probably didn't come about overnight, it was probably in the works for quite a while.

So, while we were complaining that TFC wasn't going after a Designated Player and they kept telling us, "It has to be the right one," they were likely working on this offer, thinking that when JDG's contract was up and he became a free agent they had a shot and didn't want to have someone else under contract that wouldn't be as good for the team.

So, was this the right thing to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have absolutely no problem if JDG never returns to Europe again ... why are we worrying about that anyways? Are we supposed to be his agent? The guy is already in his prime ... there is not that much more he can learn in Europe. He should definitely be looking at not only cashing in but also becoming a hero for his hometown club ... I can guarantee that he will not be getting both (if either) of those things in Europe.

Also, to assume that he would automatically turn to shit as soon as he steps in North America is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. As rocker already stated, quality isn't something that people lose overnight. Beckham and Blanco are prime examples of that. If we want the Canadian National Team to improve, I think it is more important that the team itself is playing against quality opposition rather than individual players doing so in their professional career. Sure, for younger guys it is important to play against better players but after a while, the team playing as a unit is more important than anything else. That much is obvious by looking at the Central American teams that do not have that many players in Europe yet are still doing better than us.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    So, was this the right thing to do?
    Yes, Mo is a genuis

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I would have absolutely no problem if JDG never returns to Europe again ... why are we worrying about that anyways? Are we supposed to be his agent? The guy is already in his prime ... there is not that much more he can learn in Europe. He should definitely be looking at not only cashing in but also becoming a hero for his hometown club ... I can guarantee that he will not be getting both (if either) of those things in Europe.
    AGREED!
    Bite me.

I was there - Montreal 18/6/09 - 6-1 baby!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure "English" Rachel has a completely unbiased point of view when it comes to choosing between TFC and the CMNT - ha ha!

Neither do I and anyway, how much better is the CMNT really going to be for having one player in Europe? It's not like he can suddenly impart all this great knowledge to the entire squad in the few days they meet up and the CMNT coaches will have their own coaching and tactical plans in place anyway, they're not going to say "oh, you play in EUROPE, well then fuck what we think, let's just all do what JDG says guys". If JDG is a better player for being in Europe then yeah that helps the CMNT, but how much better is really going to become from here? Already in his prime I'd say.

So, there's basically no argument for him to stay in Spain from any Canadian or TFC point of view. So bring him home Mo - get 'er done!!!
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    I'm not sure "English" Rachel has a completely unbiased point of view when it comes to choosing between TFC and the CMNT - ha ha!
    Lol, you got me!

It's not that I don't care about the Canadian team, not at all but seriously, immediate results with TFC or *perhaps* scraping a qualifying place in the WC in 4 years time? No contest in my eyes, even when I put my 'Canadian' hat on.
    Bite me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honestly. If you're a TFC fan first, would you care if JDG played in Europe for the benefit of CMNT?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this debate is still going on? LOL.
    M.U.F.C.U.M GAMBA OSAKA Toronto FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

helping TFC win the chamions league will do more for the sport in Canada than helping the national team.

The odds are really against canada's national team anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BC101 View Post
    this debate is still going on? LOL.
    My point exactly... we need a new contrevasy... this board is getting dull
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Flush and BC should read back a few posts. There's no debate going on, it has been confirmed that TFC presented JDG with an offer in LA last week.

So there.
    Bite me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by English Rachel View Post
    I think Flush and BC should read back a few posts. There's no debate going on, it has been confirmed that TFC presented JDG with an offer in LA last week.

So there.

I missed that....link please..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    I missed that....link please..
    it's in the other de guzman thread and a few messages above. dont be so lazy

Shep Messing is da man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, sorry to disappoint all of you but....

JDG is NOT coming to TFC...well not for this year or a few years to come.

I spoke with someone close to him and his family today(I must keep him anonymous) and he told me he is not coming. I deal with him on a weekly basis so I know he is definetly not BSing me as he would love to see him here as well.

It was not for a lack of trying on TFC's part(MO), they offered him, and I quote"money that would make him 2nd in salary, 2nd to only Soccer Spice himself." in MLS.

From what he told me, he said he is not ready to come home yet. He feels he has a few more years in europe to play and then he is coming home. He said it has nothing to do with money, just that he is not ready.

Believe me guys, I am not one here to start rumours or any thing of that nature. This is a person I see on a weekly basis and all we talk is soccer, mainly TFC. I wish the news was better, but in effect it is, he is coming home, just not for a little while.

Again, he is close to JDG and his family but someone I can not mention. Sorry for the bad news.
    Last edited by Baggio2TFC; 07-02-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it means TFC is serious about offering that kind of money, then it's not bad news. I didn't really think they would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, it's true. I don't wanna say how much it was but it is money we all would be happy with!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baggio2TFC View Post
    Oh, it's true. I don't wanna say how much it was but it is money we all would be happy with!!
    close to the 10mill 4 year deal that has been mentioned??

more or less..or bang on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmmmmm.....