Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he just told me on bb msgr... not coming

yet.

exact words "Thanks, Love TFC down the road i hope to be a red in my hometown"
    c'mon you Reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    wuh di ass?
    ^Whatever that means, I concur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it will come to pass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P View Post
    he just told me on bb msgr... not coming

yet.

exact words "Thanks, Love TFC down the road i hope to be a red in my hometown"

lololol been saying this the whole time.

He loves the city and that there is a team in his city and wants to play here one day but not right now and thats how it should be.

MLS is not at his level right now and i think he should do a few more years in europe. He is a free agent so he has a chance to look at some well known clubs and make some $$$ so its a good time for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to doubt you guys, but him saying "not yet" means nothing.

Do you honestly think he would tell the truth?
    Last edited by Marc"2L"; 06-26-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bruva View Post
    lololol been saying this the whole time.

He loves the city and that there is a team in his city and wants to play here one day but not right now and thats how it should be.

MLS is not at his level right now and i think he should do a few more years in europe. He is a free agent so he has a chance to look at some well known clubs and make some $$$ so its a good time for him.

if the $$$mlse offer is 10mill 4 years......do you think JDG would get that kind of deal in europe......??

I highly doubt it!... but then again you never know!...here's to dreaming for a 27 year old JDG....and not a 34 year old JDG!
    Last edited by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB; 06-26-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He might get 8 mil, or maybe even 6, but after that contract he could be in line for a larger contract from a euro team (or MLS).

If he comes to MLS NOW for 10 mil over four years, you can bet that is his last big dollar contract. No big euro team will give an older MLS player (even a DP) a huge contract. IMO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    here's to dreaming for a 27 year old JDG....and not a 34 year old JDG!
    To the time machine!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    Not to doubt you guys, but him saying "not yet" means nothing.

Do you honestly think he would tell the truth?

YES...he's telling the truth....

ITS NOT HAPPENING.

Let's restart this thread in 4 years. PLEASE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    if the $$$mlse offer is 10mill 4 years......do you think JDG would get that kind of deal in europe......??

I highly doubt it!... but then again you never know!...here's to dreaming for a 27 year old JDG....and not a 34 year old JDG!
    He will not get the same money in Europe...He knows that. I've been saying it over and over. He is leaving money on the table by not accepting TFC's lucrative offer.

Some People can't seem to wrap their head around the idea that this man is trying to push himself as hard as he can and to live out his dream of playing at the highest level his talent and desire can take him. Playing in Toronto would be nice for Jules but playing in MLS would not be nice. The level is too low.

Again, lets restart this thread in a few years. a 33 year old or 34 year old JDG playing for TFC is more realistic than a 28 year old JDG. He is sincere when he says that he wants to play for TFC at some point, health permitting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well in 4 or 5 years i REALLY hope we, and the MLS, are well beyond the stage of needing 34 year olds!!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    well in 4 or 5 years i REALLY hope we, and the MLS, are well beyond the stage of needing 34 year olds!!!

the best players in the league are in their mid 30's .... and they are better than most of the 20 year olds too
    c'mon you Reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 years and we have a deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P View Post
    the best players in the league are in their mid 30's .... and they are better than most of the 20 year olds too
    today in the MLS that is true but it is not true of top leagues around the world - which is why De Guzman wants to come hear when he's 34 - all i'm saying is i hope we and the MLS have moved beyond needing 34 year olds because we've expanded salary caps and roster sizes etc.
    Last edited by backbeat; 06-26-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VPjr View Post
    He will not get the same money in Europe...He knows that. I've been saying it over and over. He is leaving money on the table by not accepting TFC's lucrative offer.
    Is that really the offer, $10 million for four years? If it is, it's nice to see that TFC is at least making the offer.

I wonder who else they might make that offer to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    all i'm saying is i hope we and the MLS have moved beyond needing 34 year olds because we've expanded salary caps and roster sizes etc.
    Don't count on it....A senior TFC official told me recently that there are only 3 teams in the league right now pushing for larger salary allowances, larger rosters, improved rules for Academies, etc.... Maybe once Vancouver joins, that number will grow to 4. But that's still a huge minority. There might be a few improvements over the next couple of years but don't expect anything earth shattering. This will continue to be a league where most teams are hoping to keep operating loses at a minimum with the hope that SUM generates enough $ to help the weak sisters break even, turn a small profit or register a small overall loss.

The 3 "have" teams are LAG, TFC and Sounders. The rest are all have notes.

I can't see a short term future for this league (next 5 years) that doesn't include bringing in top players toward the end of their careers as DPs.

Having said that, these older players can still bring a lot to the table if they are the right kind of older player. Young players can learn so much from seasoned veterans who have played at the highest levels.

The single best player in the league, in my opinion, is Schelotto. Blanco is in the top 5. McBride is in the top 10. These are all old dudes in global footballing terms. But they have quality. MLS is blessed with lots of athleticism but not a lot of quality (best example is Marvell Wynne...he could be the poster boy for the league)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Is that really the offer, $10 million for four years?
    It is in that general range.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    I wonder who else they might make that offer to?
    No one, IMO.

I don't doubt that they might chase another DP candidate but I don't think they'll be throwing around 10million guaranteed to anyone else, although I'd love to see them go after Martin Palermo of Boca Juniors for $750K to $1million per year. Palermo is the obvious replacement/upgrade for Danny D. He's already in Toronto for last night's little friendly with Zidane. I have no doubt that he is a player that intends to do some time in MLS to cash a few nice paycheques before the end of his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't count on it....A senior TFC official told me recently that there are only 3 teams in the league right now pushing for larger salary allowances, larger rosters, improved rules for Academies, etc.... Maybe once Vancouver joins, that number will grow to 4. But that's still a huge minority. There might be a few improvements over the next couple of years but don't expect anything earth shattering. This will continue to be a league where most teams are hoping to keep operating loses at a minimum with the hope that SUM generates enough $ to help the weak sisters break even, turn a small profit or register a small overall loss.

I can't see a short term future for this league (next 5 years) that doesn't include bringing in top players toward the end of their careers as DPs.

Having said that, these older players can still bring a lot to the table if they are the right kind of older player. Young players can learn so much from seasoned veterans who have played at the highest levels.

The single best player in the league, in my opinion, is Schelotto. Blanco is in the top 5. McBride is in the top 10. These are all old dudes in global footballing terms. But they have quality. MLS is blessed with lots of athleticism but not a lot of quality (best example is Marvell Wynne...he could be the poster boy for the league)
    Wasn't 1 of the problems with Vancouver joining their academy? If I recall Garber and Lenarduzzi both said, that both sides would be making concessions. As far as academies go, the Whitecaps are miles ahead of anything in MLS, especially with their residence program.

JDG will come, after he's done in Europe. Even at 30-31 he'll still be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That seem right. At least they've learned from past mistakes and are actually trying to build a domestic league and will only allow one expensive player past his prime (well, I guess as long as they allow the DP space to be traded there could be two, but they'll still take up a lot of cap space).

In five years we'll see how New York is doing in the new stadium, Houston and KC in new stadiums, Philly, Vancouver, Portland and maybe Montreal in the league.

It's slow growth, but it's really the only way it can work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Deguzman is 34, I hope TFC will offer him significantly less money that what they offered now because he would not be worth as much. Say $1 million a year maximum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeGuzman is NOT coming!

sorry I just leaked it...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sampace View Post
    When Deguzman is 34, I hope TFC will offer him significantly less money that what they offered now because he would not be worth as much. Say $1 million a year maximum.
    I also have to 1/2 agree here... I say they offer him $500k MAX
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=VPjr;599466]The 3 have teams...quote]

No, Dallas also makes money on paper every year because it operates out of a hugely profitable rental facility.

And MLS teams aren't public, so they have no legal requirement to release their write-downs. Based on pure attendance/expected concession sales alone, there are multiple teams making money that are officially "in the red," and some, like Toronto and LA, are vastly understating the importance of writing down value.

LA stated publicly that it sold 250,000 David Beckham jerseys. That alone would account for revenue four times that of its stated profit from that season. So unless all of their writedowns are capital and related to the stadium (they aren't) then their $800,000 figure is fantasy.

Edit: I'm not doubting you're right about what they claim; it's just that it's quite obviously complete horseshit on the league's part.

People aren't all stupid. They can do basic math. Teams with salary caps one-half of that of the CFL but with attendances over 10,000 per game shouldn't possibly be losing money, particularly when it's per game average was among the top 10 soccer leagues in the world last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP at 33? Hell no.

Sorry but if he's not coming now, I don't want him later.
    I hope to god MLSE doesn't throw this kind of money at him again.
    He's not good enough for that kind of money 4 years down the road.

I say that with the flashback of a giveaway he made this year. Can't remember against who, but it was bad.
    There's also a fine line between "wanting to play for your home town" and "wanting to retire with your buddies".
    Last edited by Marc"2L"; 06-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    He might get 8 mil, or maybe even 6, but after that contract he could be in line for a larger contract from a euro team (or MLS).

If he comes to MLS NOW for 10 mil over four years, you can bet that is his last big dollar contract. No big euro team will give an older MLS player (even a DP) a huge contract. IMO

Beckham? .. i guess that is abit different though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    DP at 33? Hell no.

Sorry but if he's not coming now, I don't want him later.
    I have to agree. There's nothing worse than a DM who's lost his legs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 4yrs as a DP? Prob not.
    But for a 500-600k price. Sure why the hell not?
    Assuming the cap goes up a chunk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's MLS Rumors, but they've gotten things right before

According to this week's MLS Extra Time, Shep Messing claims that 28 year old Canadian International defensive midfielder Julian De Guzman of Deportiva de La Coruna and his agent met with Mo Johnston, who gave them a great DP offer and that they are thinking it over.
    http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/07/in...oronto-fc.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    I have to agree. There's nothing worse than a DM who's lost his legs.
    Hahaha. I'm not sure if you're being cryptic but I love this post.

God knows we don't need a 33 year old DM with diminishing skills......and we wouldn't want to make him one of the highest paid players in the league.......
    Oh, wait a second....