Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CBC peice on BMO Field and grass

*edit: I found the piece and was able to transcribe it word for word. Here it is:

Head Anchor (CBC): There's some tension building at BMO Field tonight, and most of it is under foot. In fact, the turf is the problem. Debbie Lightle Quan explains.

Debbie Lightle Quan (CBC): It's Toronto FC's home disadvantage. Since the beginning, Toronto's players have been critical of the artificial turf at BMO Field. They say it's hard on their bodies and the bounce of the ball.

Chris Cummins: We're aware of what the turf is. We have to get on with it. Yeah, they're going to moan, but that's what footballers are like.

Debbie Lightle Quan (CBC): The average life expectancy of field turf is about seven years, but two and half years in here at BMO Field and it's already shot. The players, the owners of the FC, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, even the city which owns BMO, would all want to replace the artificial turf with natural grass, but the original stadium deal calls for community year round access to the playing field and MLSE is trying to find a central replacement field in hopes to make a presentation to city counsel this fall.

MLSE Exec: We've been in discussion with the province and now with the federal government about getting this thing rolling and moving very quickly if we can. It would be great if we could do it for next season, but realistically, we're probably 2 seasons away.

Debbie Lightle Quan (CBC): But the patience of the players is wearing as thin as the turf, especially since learning that TFC's owners are spending a quarter of a million dollars to bring in a temporary grass surface for the friendly against Real Madrid in August.

Dwayne De Rosario: What does that mean as myself as a player for TFC? We don't get that respect? So, it's one of those where you look at it as a player and you're disappointed that it takes a team like Real Madrid to come here to get grass.
    Last edited by Nestease; 06-04-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope the TFC community can overcome this infighting. It seems like MLSE in toronto is tearing itself apart and nobody wants that

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have given up. This team sucks.

Everyone makes fun of me for being such a tfc diehard. Is it worth it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been watching the CSA Shit Show for almost 25 years. Oh man if MLSE becomes another CSA in terms of heart and support we're in trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco2K View Post

You say you are TFC diehard but you also say you have given up. That is a fundamental disconnect.

If you are a TFC diehard, you cannot give up.

If you have given up, you are not a TFC diehard.

What's it going to be?

B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure. I finally understand when my parents said they weren't upset just disappointed. That is how I feel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as I have feared off and on since 2007. We're all being taken for a very bumpy ride.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To those falling off the bandwagon:

"Through the thick and the thin
    We are loyal to the end"

- Legend TFC

Grass issue

- 100% agree that message is that the health of RM trumps that of our own players
    - City revenue issue is moot. They never present the other side of the coin which includes the possibility of attracting more games (World Cup Qualifiers that went to Montreal as an example) on a grass stadium
    - The City also risks losing what could be our National Soccer Stadium... and the revenue that goes with it... to forward thinkers in Vancouver, Montreal (if it ever expanded Saputo) or Ottawa if it got an MLS bid and went ahead with its plans for a natural grass stadium
    - The team can't compete for players that prefer a natural grass surface. Thereby giving themselves a handicap when it comes to on-field performance. What would a couple of playoff dates mean?
    - While the Lakeshore project sounds interesting, why not increase the usage of Lamport Stadium as a temporary home for field renters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedWookie View Post
    I really hope the TFC community can overcome this infighting. It seems like MLSE in toronto is tearing itself apart and nobody wants that
    what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    what?
    You have the players giving interviews expressing their anger with the owners about the grass. Supporters angered at the owners for pussyfooting around what they promised us, anger and disappointment with the players for not playing up to par

All around it looks like one big screaming match with everybody involved. My concerns are that this doesn't wind up with toronto losing their team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedWookie View Post
    MLSE is tearing itself apart?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meeting in the fall with the city when they know the field is SHIT now. Don't tell me it takes 4 months to get a meeting arranged...

The mayor is a SSH so MLSE how about meeting with him after the next game or two???
    Last edited by andyc; 06-04-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: cos the mayor ain't a major
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could it be possible the TFC did not give 100% effort b/c they are mad at the lack of grass and think that MLSE don't care about the players?

Could they have done this to avoid more games at BMO and the fieldturf?

***I don't think you could ever prove this or even if its true so don't shot me.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Note that the comment regarding meeting in the fall is likely just to set very low expectations for us. As the Deputy Mayor indicates, they are talking. The very fact that he was williing to be quoted in an article (Published June 3, Steven Sandor, Toronto Sun) indicates that they are talking.

There is a deal to be done if the will is there.

If a game between Toronto FC and Real Madrid -- on natural turf at BMO Field -- is to happen, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. would be responsible for putting down a temporary grass field and tearing it up when the match is over.

"If MLSEL wishes to convert the field to grass it needs to get the permission of the owner ... the City of Toronto and the board of Exhibition Place," Joe Pantalone, the deputy mayor and chairman of the Exhibition Place board, said.

"We are not averse to grass. We actually think there is a lot of merit to it. But for that to happen, MLSEL must satisfy a lot of conditions."

BMO Field's artificial surface allows the stadium to be used year-round.

The key issue is: If BMO Field becomes a facility that isn't available to the public whenever TFC or the national soccer program isn't using it, a replacement field must be erected downtown. Not in Etobicoke. Not in Scarborough. Not in North York. The cost of creating a new facility that is available to the public year-round would fall entirely to MLSEL, the owner of TFC.

Pantalone said there have been discussions between the city and MLSEL about converting Lamport Stadium, located near the corner of King and Dufferin, to a year-round soccer facility.

Real Madrid is playing DC United in Washington on Aug. 9. TFC has rescheduled a game with New York to free up its calendar for a rumoured game against Real in early August. Real wants to play one more game on its tour of North America, but Los Merengues won't play on FieldTurf.

A temporary grass field would be a solution.

OBSTACLES
    But any plan to replace the FieldTurf with permanent natural grass by August would face obstacles.

The community leagues that use BMO Field would need assurances they have a place to play without interruptions to their schedules.

Pantalone said he's not sure there are enough council and Exhibition board meetings left before the August holiday to approve the change.

"As a community facility, BMO Field is sold out," Pantalone said. "It has been very successful for us."

Like Pantalone, Mayor David Miller would like to see grass at BMO Field, but he wants MLSEL to satisfy all the conditions.

Stuart Green, a spokesperson with the mayor's office, wrote in an e-mail: "Any permanent modifications to BMO such as grass are subject to the conditions of the Letter of Intent.

"As the mayor has said, his desire is to get a grass pitch at BMO and we are speaking to MLSEL about ways that can happen."

In the original agreement, MLSEL was to pay $8 million toward the $72.8-million soccer stadium and earn $10 million through the selling of the naming rights. The city kicked in $19.8 million in land considerations and cash. The rest came from the federal and provincial governments. The deal gave MLSEL the right to manage the facility for 20 years beginning with the 2007 season.

Another condition in the BMO deal allows the city and board to use the stadium on "a significant part of any available dates annually, on a cost recovery basis only," for the city, CNE, World Fair and Olympics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If DeRo is this vocal about the turf issue you can bet there is serious unrest in the dressing room. I wont be putting any money down on playoff birth this year unless the crooks in the FO decide to invest in the team for once.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't somebody say that the players would be chuffed to play Real Madrid? Sounds to me like they feel the same way we do rather than be all giddy about the big club coming to town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sucks that we're not getting grass for at least another season. I guess that means we'll have to wait another couple of years before we might get a DP striker as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I applaud CBC on this... I have yet to see it but the mere fact that a media outlet is bringing this issue to the forefront is good.... more often than not TFC gets buried and forgotten out there in media land...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really wish a rich football supporter would come in and rescue this club from the hands of MLSE. They have no clue how to run a proper football club. A business, yes, but we need some heart in there - and it's never going to be there with MLSE running the show. I'll support the team till I die, but not fucking MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the most ridiculous demand that the replacement field must be errected downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    a replacement field must be erected downtown. Not in Etobicoke. Not in Scarborough. Not in North York. The cost of creating a new facility that is available to the public year-round would fall entirely to MLSEL, the owner of TFC.
    Last time I checked Scarborough, Etobicoke, and North York no longer legally exist as they are part of Toronto. Why is the proposed modifications to Lakeshore Lions not being considered as an option? Its not exactly that far from downtown and viable alternatives downtown are few and far between. Lamport is one option but they probably are looking for net new in downtown.

The city and MLSE are a lethal combo for getting nothing done and when it finally goes through it will be the dumbest decision that no one could have anticipated.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the Lakeshore is a longer term solution.

The fact that Lamport is coming up signals to me that they are looking at making the grass permanent now and looking for an immediate place to move their commitments.

I'm not holding my breath but MLSE is a business. They have to spend $250k on this temporary thing. That's a pretty big downpayment on a permanent one. Pretty big waste if they couldn't leverage that investment.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nestease View Post
    - MLSE stated no grass next year but possibly the year after that (didn't we hear that last year?
    - He was hinting that MLSE/TFC/THE HIGHER UPS don't care enough for its own players.
    Yes and yes.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barrett complained about the turf to me at the player's signing session last week at SVP -Scarborough. When my daughter remarked he looked really tired that evening, Chad blamed it on the turf and how he didn't like it.

I realize Chad has got bigger fish to fry like putting the ball in the net, but it just shows that the players are in lockstep on hating the turf. Of course Jimmy B as spokesperson for Field Turf would have to refute that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I really wish a rich football supporter would come in and rescue this club from the hands of MLSE. They have no clue how to run a proper football club. A business, yes, but we need some heart in there - and it's never going to be there with MLSE running the show. I'll support the team till I die, but not fucking MLSE.

MLSE do f**k up franchises, leafs, marlies, raptors..and now TFC.maybe they have too many franchises and should unload one...Raptors.
    But lets see TFC in a couple of years..they might be league champions,this year might be a step back, but it happens.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest you look up the definition of the term, "diehard" because what your describing is a fairweather fan. Which isn't a bad thing, I do it with the Jays and Leafs but it is what it is.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes it is worth it long term...after the Blizzard in the NASL went under i didnt think football would ever take in the city...But 2 decades and a bit later Toronto has a great football fan base and that will help a club.Lets
    face it 20,000 crowds over 3 years of some bad football show fans have
    patience..but even patience has a breaking point and we need to see
    progress on and off the pitch. We have 3 great supporters groups in the
    RPB< NEE<U sector< which will help grow the fan base in years to come.
    Not a leaf fan,but their fans take shit too and i love giving them shit,but you dont see too mant switching sides and they hang in there,this is what
    has to happen with the TFC fans, cause when we do win the Canadian championship,mls cup we can say we remained loyal to the team in the bad times..we dont need gloryhunters..lets see how the rest of season
    plays out and how the management reacts before giving up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    You say you are TFC diehard but you also say you have given up. That is a fundamental disconnect.

If you are a TFC diehard, you cannot give up.

If you have given up, you are not a TFC diehard.

What's it going to be?

B

I couldn't agree more with Blizzard. You are the same individual who chants "part time supporter" when I walk out of BMO in the 80th minute because TFC is losing 3-0 and they have been absolute bellends all game.

stop being so blind and see things as they are. This team is shit, and the way things are looking, will be shit unless some major changes are made...but after all, just like with the leafs, all MLSE cares about is profits, not a winning team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE should buy some land and build a stadium. Fuck BMO field and City of Toronto!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section225 View Post
    stop being so blind and see things as they are. This team is shit, and the way things are looking, will be shit unless some major changes are made...but after all, just like with the leafs, all MLSE cares about is profits, not a winning team.
    I guess MLSE fails to comprehend that there is even more profit to be made with a championship club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I really wish a rich football supporter would come in and rescue this club from the hands of MLSE.

It really does seem like the only way to have a winning team these days it for it to be some billionaire's toy.

And that's just sad.