Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nice Job TFC On The Friendlies

I know there is a lot of negativity on these boards about the friendlies and how season ticket holders are getting screwed, but I think some thanks is owed for booking 2 solid teams. Regardless if they are your favorite team or not, you have to admit that River and Real Madrid are a huge improvement from year's past. I know they tried hard to bring in quality teams and I think some thanks is due for the hard work that went into this.

I for one say thank you to Paul and whoever was involved on getting 2 great teams this year to come to our city.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about worrying about winning a game.

canada cup is gone.
    playoffs chances are fading.

Congrats TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    I know there is a lot of negativity on these boards about the friendlies and how season ticket holders are getting screwed, but I think some thanks is owed for booking 2 solid teams. Regardless if they are your favorite team or not, you have to admit that River and Real Madrid are a huge improvement from year's past. I know they tried hard to bring in quality teams and I think some thanks is due for the hard work that went into this.

I for one say thank you to Paul and whoever was involved on getting 2 great teams this year to come to our city.
    No...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were you hired by ML$E to start this thread? The only reason I can think of for making something so senseless. Like Marco said, our season is going to the dogs and you're congratulating the team on fucking friendly games? Fuck friendly games, games that are going to make things even more difficult for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya as a STH im not too impressed with how things are being run this season. moving of the august 9th game was the icing on the cake for me. my Carlsberg cup ticket has a 110.0 dollar value..i really dont think bringing in river plate is the team for a 110.0 price tag

Mikey

Yeah, thanks for screwing us over and pimping out the teams chances of making the playoffs for the chance to gouge some new mugs.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Yeah, thanks for screwing us over and pimping out the teams chances of making the playoffs for the chance to gouge some new mugs.....

Are not most other MLS teams also playing friendlies this year? so why is TFC at a disadvantage if this is common throughout the league ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedMAN127 View Post
    Are not most other MLS teams also playing friendlies this year? so why is TFC at a disadvantage if this is common throughout the league ...
    Too easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedMAN127 View Post
    because we already have a heavy schedule in the early going and this just jammed more games into an already crowded schedule. if you haven't noticed we've played more games than all other teams in the league, and the players are probably fatigued.

also, because they spit in the fans' and players' faces by installing grass at $250k for real madrid and not the players who have to endure those garbage bounces every game. perhaps some are jizzing in their pants about the prospect of real playing here, but if you wanted to see them for real, go to europe, or watch it on tv. i'd rather see tfc achieve some success than see some overpaid players jog around a pitch trying not to get injured.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friendly's are horseshit anyway because you pretty much never see star players. You can slap a Real Madrid or River Plate jersey on any Joe Benchwarmer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NICE JOB ON THE FRIENDLIES? haha. what a joke. I have a ticket worth $110 face value which I can just about GUARANTEE I will not be able to sell because nobody in their right mind will pay that much to go see River. Maybe if you are a River supporter you would, but there's going to be stiff competition trying to get rid of these tickets.

So thanks for forcing me to write off $110 tickets MLSE, while at the same time making me pay who knows how much for Real Madrid.

Paul, I'd rather you stay off these boards period because next time I see you post I will give you a piece of my mind. Money hungry scumbags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice job moving a game back to the most packed part in our schedule Paul.

Nice job getting real grass for a team thats here for a day, as opposed to a team thats here all the time.

Nice job again on the schedule change with MLS.. where was this leg work last year when we had 2 starters on the field vs Chivas?

I'de take the rest period for the boys vs. the pointless money grabbing friendlies, just sayin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, thank you for forcing us to buy overpriced tickets for River Plate and giving us the choice of buying overpriced tickets for Real Madrid. because if i could only see one of those two teams it would be River Plate. thank you MLSE, you sure know how to make your loyal supporters (and players) feel appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fushida View Post
    because we already have a heavy schedule in the early going and this just jammed more games into an already crowded schedule. if you haven't noticed we've played more games than all other teams in the league, and the players are probably fatigued.

also, because they spit in the fans' and players' faces by installing grass at $250k for real madrid and not the players who have to endure those garbage bounces every game. perhaps some are jizzing in their pants about the prospect of real playing here, but if you wanted to see them for real, go to europe, or watch it on tv. i'd rather see tfc achieve some success than see some overpaid players jog around a pitch trying not to get injured.
    We've may of had more HOME games then anyone else but there are 5 other clubs that have played the same number and 4 others that have played only 1 less.

Club/Games Played
    Chicago13Chivas USA13D.C. United13Kansas City13New York13Toronto FC13Columbus12Los Angeles12Real Salt Lake12Seattle12Colorado11FC Dallas11Houston11San Jose11New England10

There is a lot to complain about these days and this board is getting tiresome because of it (I'm not saying it isn't warranted either) but this thread is about thanking the club for bringing in 2 quality teams for these friendlies. Not ideal to have them in the middle of our season (and I'll probably skip RM like most of us) but since every other league in the world plays a season opposite ours this is how it is.....for ALL MLS clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eastend, you're forgetting about the Nutrilite Canadian Championship games. so we've actually played 16 games in total, and there is still 1 more NCC game to play too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right I did forget the NCC games....and I'll leave it at that.....
    Last edited by Eastend; 06-07-2009 at 09:16 AM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how anyone can reasonably defend the handling of the Real Madrid game. We're changing our MLS schedule for that game but won't do the same for international call-ups. We're trucking in grass apparently because RM won't play on the turf that we're told is good enough for our own players. The list goes on, but you see what I'm getting at.

Personally, I'm cool with River Plate coming up here for our prepaid friendly, but I think that game and the RM friendly are light years apart in terms of what the club and ownership are doing to accomodate them.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. These are two great teams. Even though the FO hasn't done a good job making a good team, they've done a good job getting some world-class teams. The whining on this board is starting to get really annoying. I'd like to summarize and address each of these points:

People are complaining about the grass. Yes it sucks that it is only coming for Real Madrid, but that's the only way you can get a team like Real Madrid. And there's absolutely no way that temporary stuff can last more than a few games - so forget about using it for the rest of the season. I remember they did that for the Revs stadium during the Gold Cup and the players complained at it coming apart and said that the artificial turf was actually better.

Grass is expensive and it's Real Madrid, so they have to raise ticket prices. And unlike Seattle, BMO only seats 20000. Seattle can offer Chelsea and Barcelona as part of season-ticket packages because they know there will be another 30000 fans their. The ideal would have been having the Real Madrid game at Skydome and keeping it part of the season-ticket package. But Skydome is booked, so it has to be at BMO. And if they did include it in season-ticket packages, they would only be generating additional revenue from 4000 seats. It sucks, but they have to increase prices for it to be economically feasible.

Also MLSE isn't not getting grass for BMO to spite you guys. BMO is community facility because it was largely paid through tax-payer money. To turn BMO into grass, they would have to pay to build another community facility somewhere else, likely nearby. I do not know how much progress has been made on this, but if anything you should be using your energy to make this happen instead of whining like babies about a lack of grass.

I'd just like to conclude that yeah a lot of things aren't ideal: The field should be grass, BMO should seat 30000, Real Madrid should be included in the season ticket packages. But things aren't like this because the FO is malicious, there are understandable reasons why things are like this. I think a lot of this venomous sentiment is due to poor team performances. I think if TFC had won the last three games, there wouldn't be nearly as much anger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
    Agreed. These are two great teams. Even though the FO hasn't done a good job making a good team, they've done a good job getting some world-class teams. The whining on this board is starting to get really annoying. I'd like to summarize and address each of these points:

(1) People are complaining about the grass. Yes it sucks that it is only coming for Real Madrid, but that's the only way you can get a team like Real Madrid. And there's absolutely no way that temporary stuff can last more than a few games - so forget about using it for the rest of the season. I remember they did that for the Revs stadium during the Gold Cup and the players complained at it coming apart and said that the artificial turf was actually better.

Grass is expensive and it's Real Madrid, so they have to raise ticket prices. And unlike Seattle, BMO only seats 20000. (2) Seattle can offer Chelsea and Barcelona as part of season-ticket packages because they know there will be another 30000 fans their. The ideal would have been having the Real Madrid game at Skydome and keeping it part of the season-ticket package. But Skydome is booked, so it has to be at BMO. And if they did include it in season-ticket packages, they would only be generating additional revenue from 4000 seats. It sucks, but they have to increase prices for it to be economically feasible.

(3) Also MLSE isn't not getting grass for BMO to spite you guys. BMO is community facility because it was largely paid through tax-payer money. To turn BMO into grass, they would have to pay to build another community facility somewhere else, likely nearby. I do not know how much progress has been made on this, but if anything you should be using your energy to make this happen instead of whining like babies about a lack of grass.

I'd just like to conclude that yeah a lot of things aren't ideal: The field should be grass, BMO should seat 30000, Real Madrid should be included in the season ticket packages. But things aren't like this because the FO is malicious, there are understandable reasons why things are like this. (4) I think a lot of this venomous sentiment is due to poor team performances. I think if TFC had won the last three games, there wouldn't be nearly as much anger.

1) Thats not why people are angry. The point is what the FO is basically saying is, our guys aren't important enough to bring grass in for, even though they want it. But Real wants it? Its in. Damn the cost

2) Umm, they made $5 from the Edu transfer, god knows how much from the club in general. They already had STH payments for what, $110 each for a friendly? Soooo whered all that money go? Why are they not just charging for Real, but gauging us for them? 110 x 15000= 1.65 Million. 150 x 22000= 3.3 million. How much do most teams pay Reals B team to come play? Anyone know?

3) See number one. It looks like its to spite the players (who WE support. We don't show up to MLSE meetings to chant after all)

4) Well it sure isn't helping. We aren't seeing improvements in the play on the pitch, and its year 3. We've already gone through 3 coaches, had SO much turnover I can't even guess at this point. Had good draft after good draft, and where are we?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pleased to see the quality of opponents for this year's friendlies. RP is an outstanding choice.

Maybe the RM game could have been handled better, but still, if they told us before Day One, three years back, that we'd have Real Madrid visit, maybe with Kaka in the lineup, we'd have been spanking the monkey.

But I like how that Friday night date works to free up that weekend. And how the light summer home sked allows us to enjoy weekends up north while letting the team keep the starting roster as intact as possible by keeping conflicts with the Gold Cup to a minimum.

I spent all game yesterday listening to the most juvenile whining and whibbling sounds coming out of supposedly supporters - all RPBs I might add - in 114. Didn't sing, didn't chant, just sat on their scarves, guzzled beer and profanely moaned the game away.

They're watching a club in its infancy while they enjoy a prolonged one themselves.
    They say they're not coming to the friendlies. Can't say they'll be missed.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 06-07-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

call and email the team with your displeasure.
    let them know you don't like how things are going.
    http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/about/meet_us/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    1) Thats not why people are angry. The point is what the FO is basically saying is, our guys aren't important enough to bring grass in for, even though they want it. But Real wants it? Its in. Damn the cost

3) See number one. It looks like its to spite the players (who WE support. We don't show up to MLSE meetings to chant after all)

bringing in a shitty temp grass pitch is a lot different and easier then converting BMO to grass permanently. The FO doesn't to build a new fieldturf facility on a pricey piece of downtownish land, nor do they need to get apprioval from city hall for a temp grass pitch.

maybe you uys now more then I do and the FO really isn't doing anything to try to get grass, but to me and the whispers i've heard, they are working towards it, but like anything when dealing with government, it takes time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way things are going at the moment I think I would prefer to see Real Madrid v River.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to enjoy the call to my ticket rep on Monday

B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Were you hired by ML$E to start this thread? The only reason I can think of for making something so senseless. Like Marco said, our season is going to the dogs and you're congratulating the team on fucking friendly games? Fuck friendly games, games that are going to make things even more difficult for us.
    With all the negativity and bitching, a little appreciation where some feel it is due should be as welcomed as voicing the complaints.

What gives you the right to knock this guy for giving his opinion - it's just as valid as yours.

And you know what, it's not MLSE's fault for our most recent losses. It's not the owner's fault that yesterday Wynne and Guevara were away on intl duty, and Attakora was out. Or that we lost 2-0 to Vancouver. We ARE the better team, we just didn't capitalize and they did.

I know the issues run FAR deeper, but it's funny how when we lose, it seems correlated to the feeling that everything sucks - our team, our management, our ownership, our stadium.

Heaven forbid we lose a few games and some of us try to pick out some positives in the meantime.
    Last edited by TFC*FAN; 06-07-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"We don’t get that respect, It’s one of those things where you look at it as a player and you’re disappointed that it takes a team like Real Madrid to come here to get grass, We work hard everyday here … day in, day out. We deserve grass.” - Dwayne De Rosario

DERO TELLS NO LIES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that I care about friendlies, but River Plate and Real Madrid are definitely great teams to be playing.

I think that's what the thread author intentioned. But I guess the ideologues can't concede that point

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares about the team right?

Friendlies are what really matters.

I am really hoping they price out the ass on the Madrid tickets and struggle to sell them.

A 'Bills in Toronto' kind of ticket debacle would just be amazing!

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Were you hired by ML$E to start this thread?.
    You never know

This place is the f-ing truman show.

Maybe we can have another poll....how old are you...where are you from...how far would you go to see the team play....what ethnicity are you...

and then environics can process it and sell it to their client... ML$E

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

River Plate and Real Madrid are two of the biggest clubs in the world, and having them come play at BMO is surely a massive feat and fulfills FO's promise of bringing in quality international teams to play TFC....

BUT...

That fact of the matter is that these friendlies should NOT be considered a priority, especially with dwindling playoff hopes, and scheduled in the middle of an important stretch of games that will no doubt only have a negative effect on the team....

The Madrid friendly itself is little more than a cash grab, $100+ per ticket for a game that in all actuality means absolutely nothing, and don't even get me started on the grass thats being brought in for one game...

Its time to get out priorities in line, im sick of what appears to be MoJo's 5 year plan, change needs to happen now and it needs to start with the front office